Wilson Dynapower Forged Irons Review

Age / Skill Level
I'm 44 and currently an 18.4 handicap. Started lessons with a new coach in late Nov 23, and have been making major swing changes. Old swing and new swing still fighitng each other. I'll have stretches where I'm +1 for 6 holes and stretches where I'm +6 on 1 hole.

What's This Guy's Story
I was born on a balmy Florida September Thursday at the peak of hurricane season... I played a little as a kid using my grandpa's old Wilson and MacGreggor clubs - persimmons and blades with steel shafts and worn down leather grips. When I really started playing and got into the game when I was 18 I bought my own "modern" clubs in 1998, my favorites being a set of Cobra II O-size irons with 5.0 Rifle shafts. Played a lot in college, took lessons, was pretty good, then school and life got in the way and played less. Picked up playing more in mid-2000's, then had shoulder problems in 2015 and couldn't play again until 2022. Back in the swing of things, got a garage sim last summer, have been doing Skillest lessons and practicing a few times a week, playing every weekend at least once when weather allows. Had the good fortune of being in the Goat Cup in March and excited to do some club testing now.

What Has He Played / What Does He Know About Irons?
First real irons where those Cobra II Osize and I loved them. I stupidly got rid of them for a set of Masterfit blades or something. Then I had a set ot Tommy Armor Evos for a while. In 2014 I got a set of Cleveland 588 TT fitted at Club Champion and played those until my shoulder problems. Got fitted at CC against last year for my current Callaway Apex Pros, which are great, but not overly forgiving so there are days I struggle with them. Hoping the Wilsons offer me a little more help until I can feel confident in the Apex some day.

What Does He Know About Fittings?
Done multiple Club Champion fittings, and watch them on Youtube a good bit, follow fittings here on THP a lot. Curious to try the Fit Ai system (hopefully this afternoon).

What Is His Iron Game Like?
Bad? lol Strokes gained I lose 4-5 strokes toa 15 hdcp most rounds. It is usually my weakest point. I can drive, I can putt, but irons and short game often fail me. Big misses are fat, steep, or toe. Very curious to see how the toe weighting on these help with my toe side miss.

Has anyone done the AI for yet? Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I did it at a local PGAGSS a couple ofd weeks ago with the NC Wilson rep. I really enjoyed the process. It was quick and I felt like the irons and shaft it recommended for me was on target.

I did it at a local PGAGSS a couple ofd weeks ago with the NC Wilson rep. I really enjoyed the process. It was quick and I felt like the irons and shaft it recommended for me was on target.
Does it recommend irons too or is this service just for Dynapower? Honest question, as I went to my fitting explicitly for these irons (ie, I told him I was testing for THP, etc).

I guess I should have commented more on the results.
- The fitting recommended 2* upright. We measured my current gamers to confirm they are standard, so this is new. But not all clubs are created equal. And I used to play more of a draw / pull. Coming back to the game I’m leaving the face open and playing a blocking miss right. Because of that 2* made sense. If it becomes an issue it’s an easy fix.
- 75g UST Recoil Dart, Stiff…it’s in the same family as my current gamer shafts - 65g(?) UST Recoil ZT9s, Regular. Interestingly, my gamers are not exactly what I was fit to at The Grandaddy. With the very quick turnaround on those club builds sometimes things aren’t exactly precise. I don’t exactly remember the actual GD shaft fitting result but I’m pretty confident the Wilson fitting put me in the right shafts.

Does it recommend irons too or is this service just for Dynapower? Honest question, as I went to my fitting explicitly for these irons (ie, I told him I was testing for THP, etc).

I guess I should have commented more on the results.
- The fitting recommended 2* upright. We measured my current gamers to confirm they are standard, so this is new. But not all clubs are created equal. And I used to play more of a draw / pull. Coming back to the game I’m leaving the face open and playing a blocking miss right. Because of that 2* made sense. If it becomes an issue it’s an easy fix.
- 75g UST Recoil Dart, Stiff…it’s in the same family as my current gamer shafts - 65g(?) UST Recoil ZT9s, Regular. Interestingly, my gamers are not exactly what I was fit to at The Grandaddy. With the very quick turnaround on those club builds sometimes things aren’t exactly precise. I don’t exactly remember the actual GD shaft fitting result but I’m pretty confident the Wilson fitting put me in the right shafts.
I think it would recommend any Wilson iron currently in the line. With my slow swing speed I was afraid it would suggest the regular DP's. What I don't know is whether it could determine woods. Like it you were DP driver carbon or Titanium

I’m EXTREMELY curious about the gap between power holes and non within the set. Historically in sets like this that use sole slots and such, THAT is a make or break for them, how they flow and ensure there is no big JUMP between them.

I know what Hawk saw, so I’m optimistic, but I want to see it for myself with my swing if that makes sense.

I’m EXTREMELY curious about the gap between power holes and non within the set. Historically in sets like this that use sole slots and such, THAT is a make or break for them, how they flow and ensure there is no big JUMP between them.

I know what Hawk saw, so I’m optimistic, but I want to see it for myself with my swing if that makes sense.
They have a 4* loft gap from 7 to 8, just like from 8 to 9, 9 to PW, PW to GW.

Has anyone done the AI for yet? Looking forward to seeing how it goes.
I did it today posting shortly. Soooo, easy I think, similar to the Mizuno - as to ease, not sure what differences exist between them for the data or how it's collected.

OK, here I go, I will add photos from my phone after this is complete. I went to David Ayers' Golf in Mt Pleasant according to the map - 17 miles from home and a nice drive through part of the City and over the Ravenel bridge (where the 10K is every April and where, I resume participating, sadly, as a walker vice jogger, going forward, sorry for the brief digression).

I arrived on time my fitter was finishing up in a different room so I was told to loosen up hit as many ball as I wanted, they have about 15 different balls on the floor and brands or types (meaning Prov 1 and 1X, as an example), same with Bridgestone, Callaway and Taylormade. I hit several different balls and watched the data - I have a NEW BALL - I think, based on 7 iron numbers the Bridgestone Tour RX or RXS - both seemed to give more distance and similar accuracy. UGH, sorry another digression - but it's all related sort of - I promise to be better when actual testing begins.

Finally, they have the club (2 actually) the fitter did not realize they had 2 of them (both righty), and he could not find the AI chip that goes in the butt of the grip, ok, found and we are off. Photos below walk you through the various screens, I took pictures of most if not all of them. To be clear, I had told the fitter about THP (he said he was familiar), and the reason for this specific fitting, that I would be a tester of equipment and I wanted to ensure a full description of the process.

Ok, so I have warmed up, hit a few (without the chip) to get a feel for the club, then we are on. I was told hit 5 balls, he would take the 3 best. I hit 3 great (for me shots), and he actually said stop the 2 extra swings would not alter things much if at all. So 3 swings with the 7 iron standard length and chip installed.

We looked at the data (seen below) and he built me a club to demo, I got good results, but better when we increased the shaft to +1/2" despite the AI tool suggesting standard, It suggested 2 degrees up I have been playing that way since the Cleveland Ta7s I played when they first came out - my first mini fitting - which I totally forgot about until now.

I took a few more swings with both the 65 and 75 the 65 was good, but the 75, better - I think. Stupidly, I did not take a photo of the 75 data, so the data of good shots is with the 65 +1" and me choking down slightly.

Data, showed me getting about 1/2 club more distance with similar accuracy - and I did not feel like I was tryhing to kill it, I will say to me, the stock grip feels thin/small, I play the MCC +4 standard, they feel bigger, so I bought the closed thing they had to put on these when they arrive, the Lamkin Hybrid +2 Std - they were on sale, I like that grip as well. We chatted a bit about THP and golf here in the Low Country, overall hit balls and analyzed data for about 1.25 hours the fee was $75,I am stoked and excited, and eager for this next golf challenge and chapter.

Hope this helped at least a bit.

They have a 4* loft gap from 7 to 8, just like from 8 to 9, 9 to PW, PW to GW.
Oh I know, but being honest I don’t care about the loft gap, it’s the distance gap that matters. Loft gaps and distance gaps aren’t a 1:1 thing like is so often thought on the internet.

There was a question about if the tool chose the club or if you did, I think (assume) that how we answered the questions noted above is how they arrived at the club selected. That said, the tool (chip in the grip) was placed into the DynaPower Forged - that was the test club, no idea if they have test clubs for the other options (staff and DynaPower (not forged). I did not see where the fitter selected the club by name.

@JW Smoove great stuff, thanks for sharing.

So this jumps out at me. We are different by 10mph swing speed, 15mph ball speed and @1k spin but the system kicked out exactly the same shaft recommendation.

Things that make you go Hmmm.

@JW Smoove great stuff, thanks for sharing.

So this jumps out at me. We are different by 10mph swing speed, 15mph ball speed and @1k spin but the system kicked out exactly the same shaft recommendation.

Things that make you go Hmmm.
Goes to show what we always talk about, it’s more than just about speed and spin when it comes to shafts, it’s about delivery as well.

It’s why experiences like this can be so very eye opening an educational too.

I believe/assume that the tool is in its infancy and will need tweaks here and there. In my case, I was in the same shaft in my Mizunos - so I believe the data to be correct (for me). I also think (and this is just me looking at driver shafts), that we may be in the same evelope of speed, I know my driver speed qualifies me for top end of Regular, or bottom end of Stiff - I feel that my swing being smooth vice violent that the regular is a better fit. Perhaps, if that makes sense, it may be why we were both in the same shaft?

There was a question about if the tool chose the club or if you did, I think (assume) that how we answered the questions noted above is how they arrived at the club selected. That said, the tool (chip in the grip) was placed into the DynaPower Forged - that was the test club, no idea if they have test clubs for the other options (staff and DynaPower (not forged). I did not see where the fitter selected the club by name.
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing all the details of your AI fitting. I just spoke with our local PGASS and am going in Monday for a fitting . I’ve already decided I’m going to order the 3 or 4 iron to fill in the gap between my 5 iron and my 4 wood.

Oh I know, but being honest I don’t care about the loft gap, it’s the distance gap that matters. Loft gaps and distance gaps aren’t a 1:1 thing like is so often thought on the internet.
So are you implying that the 8-GW might be ordered 1 degree strong to potentially correct the distance between clubs gap? I could have the local store make that adjustment - if I find it needed.

Made it up to my local PGA SS to do the Fit Ai this afternoon. The older fitter who was going to take me had never used it and frankly didn’t seem like he wanted to learn new tricks so one of the younger tech savvy guys took me instead. 😂 He got everything pulled up on the iPad and we filled in the early demographic info while a hitting bay cleared and off we went. I took enough swings to feel loose and like I was hitting fairly normal and we then took five swings with the tool tracking and it said it was good. We dropped the two lowest speed (not much) and out spat the numbers and graphs. Cool stuff. I didn’t have time to really dig into them while there since it was busy and I wasn’t doing a full fitting.

IMG_4742.jpeg
IMG_4743.jpeg
IMG_4745.jpeg
IMG_4746.jpeg
IMG_4747.jpeg
IMG_4744.jpeg

As for final shaft choice, I’d appreciate feedback. My current iron shafts are Fuji Pro95. Feels like dropping to a 75g shaft is a big change. Other option available for our testing would be the KBS TGI 90, which I’ve never hit (but is what the KBS site recommends - in the TGI 80). So what do we think - stick with the Dart 75 or go KBS 90?🤔

Last edited:
Made it up to my local PGA SS to do the Fit Ai this afternoon. The older fitter who was going to take me had never used it and frankly didn’t seem like he wanted to learn new tricks so one of the younger tech savvy guys took me instead. 😂 He got everything pulled up on the iPad and we filled in the early demographic info while a hitting bay cleared and off we went. I took enough swings to feel loose and like I was hitting fairly normal and we then took five swings with the tool tracking and it said it was good. We dropped the two lowest speed (not much) and out spat the numbers and graphs. Cool stuff. I didn’t have time to really dig into them while there since it was busy and I wasn’t doing a full fitting.

View attachment 9261152
View attachment 9261155
View attachment 9261156
View attachment 9261157
View attachment 9261158
View attachment 9261159

As for final shaft choice, I’d appreciate feedback. My current iron shafts are Fuji Pro95. Feels like dropping to a 75g shaft is a big change. Other option available for our testing would be the KBS TGI 90, which I’ve never hit (but is what the KBS site recommends - in the TGI 80). So what do we think - stick with the Dart 75 or go KBS 90?🤔
moving from graphite to steel would be a bigger change / concern for me vs moving from 95 to 75g

All I can tell you is, and by the way, I am bummed the graphs and such were not available - I will email and see if they can be found and sent, anyway I went from regular recoils in 95 to the Dart 75s in the Mizuno irons, it took me maybe 2 or 3 rounds - to get comfortable, now I love that shaft.

Are you dialed in on the shaft/club weights to where it would throw you off?

Back