Wilson Dynapower Forged Irons Review

I had a fitter ask me that same question. Looked at me cockeyed when I said fade, but had been hitting nothing but draws. Newer irons just don't seem to like fading the ball, I have to really try. I'd be interested in how any of you guys do at fading these..
Not always on purpose, but I was hitting pulls/draws and blocks/fades this weekend while trying the 7 vs 8 irons. It can be done.

I had a fitter ask me that same question. Looked at me cockeyed when I said fade, but had been hitting nothing but draws. Newer irons just don't seem to like fading the ball, I have to really try. I'd be interested in how any of you guys do at fading these..
I can make the ball go ether way. Not always on purpose. I don't usually try to shape the ball. Doesn't mean I don't take a range session and try to carve things out.

These would look great with the DYNAPWR Forged head and black graphite shafts.

I went in for the fitting today and had the quick Wilson AI fitting and figured since I haven't had a full in-depth iron fitting on a Trackman with a PGA teaching pro in a long time, I paid for their full iron fitting session($200 or free with purchase over $800) which included testing some Mizuno, Srixon, Wilson CB, and Titleist heads, all at the fitters recommendation with me only requesting that I wanted to test the Dynapower Forged.

The tester was super knowledgeable and our personalities meshed well. We were able to dial in on what worked well for me in 55 minutes. I was extremely pleased he had all of the iron heads 2° flat and he quickly agreed after about 10 shots that was the correct lie angle for me. The Wilson AI fitting took just 10-12 minutes and put me in their CB Model with a Dynamic Gold 120 or mid 115 shaft. The recommendation of 2 degrees flat and 1/2" short are the specs I've played for decades so that was impressive for a test that took less than 15 minutes. After hitting a half a dozen steel shafts that were 105 grams to 120 grams(plus my Srixon ZX5 7 iron with Dynamic Gold AMT), the DG Mid 115 shaft seemed to give me the best spin numbers(higher) with the Dynapower Forged heads. I was spinning it too low(below 5,000 rpm with some shots with the 7 iron) with some of the other shafts. I like to keep my 7 iron spin in that 5,600-6,000 range to hold the fast greens at my club. The 105gram steel shafts I couldn't feel through my transition and they made it harder time finding the sweet spot. I really liked the smooth feel and extra kick of the 115 Mid shaft compared to my the DG and DG AMT I've played almost my entire life. I could definitely feel the extra flex in the tip but it was very easy to control and shots were not ballooning on the Trackman. Softer but very smooth flexing and easy to hit my full carry distance without killing it.

Feel/sound was a bit louder than expected with the DPF but not harsh or unpleasing. The heads are also attractive and not much different in size, shape or topline thickness than my ZX5 Mk ii 5, 6, 7 irons that I love. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Wilson CB and the Dynapower Forged and the head shape and perfect sound/feel of the CB was addicting and familiar after playing Wislon FG V2's and FG Tour 100's for many years. The Dynapower Forged is certainly longer and more forgiving but they are both fantastic!

Order details:

1/2” Short
2* Flat
Dynamic Gold Mid 115 gram
Standard grip +3 wraps or mid size Lamkin if available

Last edited:
I went in for the fitting today and had the quick Wilson AI fitting and figured since I haven't had a full in-depth iron fitting on a Trackman with a PGA teaching pro in a long time, I paid for their full iron fitting session($200 or free with purchase over $800) which included testing some Mizuno, Srixon, Wilson CB, and Titleist heads, all at the fitters recommendation with me only requesting that I wanted to test the Dynapower Forged.

The tester was super knowledgeable and our personalities meshed well. We were able to dial in on what worked well for me in 55 minutes. I was extremely pleased he had all of the iron heads 2° flat and he quickly agreed after about 10 shots that was the correct lie angle for me. The Wilson AI fitting took just 10-12 minutes and put me in their CB Model with a Dynamic Gold 120 or mid 115 shaft. The recommendation of 2 degrees flat and 1/2" short are the specs I've played for decades so that was impressive for a test that took less than 15 minutes. After hitting a half a dozen steel shafts that were 105 grams to 120 grams(plus my Srixon ZX5 7 iron with Dynamic Gold AMT), the DG Mid 115 shaft seemed to give me the best spin numbers(higher) with the Dynapower Forged heads. I was spinning it too low(below 5,000 rpm with some shots with the 7 iron) with some of the other shafts. I like to keep my 7 iron spin in that 5,600-6,000 range to hold the fast greens at my club. The 105gram steel shafts I couldn't feel through my transition and they made it harder time finding the sweet spot. I really liked the smooth feel and extra kick of the 115 Mid shaft compared to my the DG and DG AMT I've played almost my entire life. I could definitely feel the extra flex in the tip but it was very easy to control and shots were not ballooning on the Trackman. Softer but very smooth flexing and easy to hit my full carry distance without killing it.

Feel/sound was a bit louder than expected with the DPF but not harsh or unpleasing. The heads are also attractive and not much different in size, shape or topline thickness than my ZX5 Mk ii 5, 6, 7 irons that I love. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Wilson CB and the Dynapower Forged and the head shape and perfect sound/feel of the CB was addicting and familiar after playing Wislon FG V2's and FG Tour 100's for many years. The Dynapower Forged is certainly longer and more forgiving but they are both fantastic!

Order details:

1/2” Short
2* Flat
Pretty impressive to see how the Fit AI matched things up so well.

I wish I got some of the other data from the FIT AI. I can't remember what they were but they were something like the tempo, loading, and strike. I do remember seeing hand speed read outs as a thing the Fit AI tracked.

I wish I got some of the other data from the FIT AI. I can't remember what they were but they were something like the tempo, loading, and strike. I do remember seeing hand speed read outs as a thing the Fit AI tracked.
It's impressive. I watched a video and the amount of data was pretty expansive. I think it's just not typically shared with the consumer since most won't have any clue what it means anyway.

It's impressive. I watched a video and the amount of data was pretty expansive. I think it's just not typically shared with the consumer since most won't have any clue what it means anyway.
I think for more casual golfers it's really fast and probably spot on. For more...lunatic fringe...it's a really good starting point.

I mentioned, the fitting app didn't ask if I had a reconstructed joint that would be really unhappy swinging 130g shafts all summer. The app did allow for that to be changed and the KBS C-Taper Lite was listed as an acceptable option.

I think for more casual golfers it's really fast and probably spot on. For more...lunatic fringe...it's a really good starting point.

I mentioned, the fitting app didn't ask if I had a reconstructed joint that would be really unhappy swinging 130g shafts all summer. The app did allow for that to be changed and the KBS C-Taper Lite was listed as an acceptable option.
That is a good point.

Order details:

1/2” Short
2* Flat
That is pretty awesome and look forward to seeing how these work out for you!

Yes, their AI is an accurate fitting that only takes about 15 minutes. I’m surprised the compact head and how little offset they have. They hide their tech at address very well just like my ZX5 MKii’s, which is something I love.

Same, I’ve emailed them without any reply wondering if the data is stored in their system, as a paid fitting might be.

Absolutely!
I assume they are gathering data on what kind of players are getting fit for what and where. I would hope they use that data to focus marketing strategies and business plans for regions.

I hope.

I assume they are gathering data on what kind of players are getting fit for what and where. I would hope they use that data to focus marketing strategies and business plans for regions.

I hope.
When I went to my local PGASS two days ago to inquire the Wilson AI Fit process, the first employee didn’t know about it and turned me over to one of their PGA pros who did. His first comments were, “It’s not very good”. It’s unfortunate that this type of bias/ignorance is so common with golf and other retailers. I told him I wanted to do it anyway and he clearly didn’t want to help so I went to another retailer a few miles away that also is Wilson retailer and was very helpful.

When I went to my local PGASS two days ago to inquire the Wilson AI Fit process, the first employee didn’t know about it and turned me over to one of their PGA pros who did. His first comments were, “It’s not very good”. It’s unfortunate that this type of bias/ignorance is so common with golf and other retailers. I told him I wanted to do it anyway and he clearly didn’t want to help so I went to another retailer a few miles away that also is Wilson retailer and was very helpful.
I think they don't like it because fitters want to fit. They want to be the brains of the operation. Plus, the fitting is only Wilson clubs and everybody has their biases. If the store has a Titleist sales contest spif thing going on and you want to get FIT AI into the Wilson's they're not going to get their numbers. Just being the guy who types things into an app and relays the data isn't sexy. But a good fitter would use that app to quickly develop a starting point, observe the golfer, and fine tune the fitting from the information.

I think they don't like it because fitters want to fit. They want to be the brains of the operation. Plus, the fitting is only Wilson clubs and everybody has their biases. If the store has a Titleist sales contest spif thing going on and you want to get FIT AI into the Wilson's they're not going to get their numbers. Just being the guy who types things into an app and relays the data isn't sexy. But a good fitter would use that app to quickly develop a starting point, observe the golfer, and fine tune the fitting from the information.
Exactly what my fitter did. I was happy to pay for the service, and did. He confined the shaft, but we switched the recommended length and he and i discussed getting them 1 degree strong, in the end, not doing that way due to reduced spin (i believe).

Edited to add: it would be good for Wilson to be aware of the situation, though given their marketing and market share I’m not sure they could do much (today) to say, pull the account or educate the fitters who make those statements.

Last edited:
Exactly what my fitter did. I was happy to pay for the service, and did. He confined the shaft, but we switched the recommended length and he and i discussed getting them 1 degree strong, in the end, not doing that way due to reduced spin (i believe).
I would have been more than happy with the setup the Fit AI recommended. The only change real change we went with was the lie angle. The Fit AI recommended 1° flat (my Callaways were ordered 2°) but with a little larger data set, judging on ball flight, we stuck with stock lie angle because of the toe weighting in the DPF. We didn't want to get too toe down.

I get why fitters might not like the FIT AI, but they need to STFU and us it get fit people quickly and thusly, do more fittings.

Between the Mizuno Swing Optimizer, Wilson, AI and some of the technology that Scott with Worldwide Golf alluded to, it feels we are on the verge of a huge the ability to custom fit golfers quickly and easily.

There will always be a niche for custom club fitters. There is something about somebody who has a vast knowledge of equipment and that can shepherd you through the process using your verbal feedback and their observation to find a great fit.

Most golfers don’t want that. if you can fit them accurately on a handful of swings, it gives him 80% of the benefit of a club fitting without an investment of their time and money.

I may go to the Wilson AI or MSO again. I did the MSO a few years ago and the shafts I currently were on the list. I’ve been curious about the other three since then. If I get the same results, it may be worth considering a shaft change.

Simply put the AI fitting tools should be but another part of the whole equation, more companies will be or are using tools like this so fitters need to get used to doing their job differently…just like the rest of the planet!

Judging by what I've seen from "fitters" over the years, I'm not sure they should be so quick to dismiss something like this.
Fact.

Simply put the AI fitting tools should be but another part of the whole equation, more companies will be or are using tools like this so fitters need to get used to doing their job differently…just like the rest of the planet!
100%

Like a lot of industries, those who learn to work with AI as a tool rather than something to fight will be successful.

Or as my coworker put it,’ guys should see a woman’s sex toy as their tag team partner, not their opponent.’ She had a point.

(Side note, I work in HR. The ultimate ‘do as we say, not what we do’ function for being inappropriate 😂)

I've begun creating my master list of all the things I am both curious about as well as things/topics that I really want to make sure that I cover. There is a LOT so far.

Very excited to move back to a Player's Distance iron for a prolonged length of time, its been a long while for me in that regard.

One thing is for sure, I am going to put a LOT of golf on them, and a LOT of competition golf, at that.

Back