Wilson Dynapower Forged Irons Review

All I can tell you is, and by the way, I am bummed the graphs and such were not available - I will email and see if they can be found and sent, anyway I went from regular recoils in 95 to the Dart 75s in the Mizuno irons, it took me maybe 2 or 3 rounds - to get comfortable, now I love that shaft.

Are you dialed in on the shaft/club weights to where it would throw you off?
I was fit for the Pro95s at club championship like 5-6 months ago. Was in Steelfiber i110 the set before those so I’ve already dropped 15g in weight. I just restarted a hybrid with a 65g shaft because it felt too light. Put in an 85g. Doing the 75g Darts would then make my irons almost as light as my wood shafts (72-75g). My gut says they’d feel really light.

Got to see these in the PGA Store today, these are some very nice clubs, put them down beside the Staff CB & not much difference between them, very nice looking clubs.

I was fit for the Pro95s at club championship like 5-6 months ago. Was in Steelfiber i110 the set before those so I’ve already dropped 15g in weight. I just restarted a hybrid with a 65g shaft because it felt too light. Put in an 85g. Doing the 75g Darts would then make my irons almost as light as my wood shafts (72-75g). My gut says they’d feel really light.
I get that. Based on your comment, I’d go with the heavier KBS?option.

So are you implying that the 8-GW might be ordered 1 degree strong to potentially correct the distance between clubs gap? I could have the local store make that adjustment - if I find it needed.
Huh? I’m a little lost here…

My initial post was about my curiosity of how the power hole to non power hole irons gap. Frank brought up the loft gaps, but I’m talking distance gaps. Im saying that you don’t know the distance gaps by focusing on the loft gaps. Too many focus solely on loft gaps. Once you hit them, you see the gaps, which is one of the things we can all discuss in this testing.

I ordered my set lofts bone stock to experience it all in the testing, I’m excited to see what’s what and discuss it with everyone! It’s going to be a ton of fun.

Keep in mind, shaft weights are shaft weights, but it is the swing weight which most golfers notice. Those will still be brought to their standard specs when built with the lighter shafts.

Not for nothing but that’s 3 of us with the exact same shaft recommendations, both steel and graphite.
TT DG has always been a “catch all” shaft of sorts, when certain swing parameters are in play. It’s a safe shaft that has been around forever. I’m never really surprised when I see it pop up.

Keep in mind, shaft weights are shaft weights, but it is the swing weight which most golfers notice. Those will still be brought to their standard specs when built with the lighter shafts.
Sure, but the weight also impacts keeping it on plane, tempo, etc. (All things I know you know.) If I’m used to the heavier I worry about dropping so much total weight.

Sure, but the weight also impacts keeping it on plane, tempo, etc. (All things I know you know.) If I’m used to the heavier I worry about dropping so much total weight.
Swing weight impacts all those things too.

Think of it this way, if you drop 15g, you’re dropping literally three nickels. Some are absolutely that perceptive to such a small change, but more times than not it’s the paralysis mentally of that change that has the impact.

We are all different for sure, I just think sometimes we get hung up in the minutia. Of course we are on an internet golf forum… 🤣

Think of it this way, if you drop 15g, you’re dropping literally three nickels. Some are absolutely that perceptive to such a small change, but more times than not it’s the paralysis mentally of that change that has the impact.

We are all different for sure, I just think sometimes we get hung up in the minutia. Of course we are on an internet golf forum… 🤣
I think it's also important knowing that 15gm weight difference is also the raw uncut shaft weight as well, before its tipped and final length trimmed. Then we get into the swing weight discussion again.

Funny you say this, generally speaking, i try to not worry about any of that stuff past a proper fit by shaft flex and length. The rest, i have enough trouble thinking about the next shot, let alone all the other stuff.

I think it's also important knowing that 15gm weight difference is also the raw uncut shaft weight as well, before its tipped and final length trimmed. Then we get into the swing weight discussion again.
Stop it. 😬

Funny you say this, generally speaking, i try to not worry about any of that stuff past a proper fit by shaft flex and length. The rest, i have enough trouble thinking about the next shot, let alone all the other stuff.
Hahaha, I get it, trust me. Golf was way simpler before I knew the things I do now! 🤣

My initial post was about my curiosity of how the power hole to non power hole irons gap. Frank brought up the loft gaps, but I’m talking distance gaps. Im saying that you don’t know the distance gaps by focusing on the loft gaps. Too many focus solely on loft gaps. Once you hit them, you see the gaps, which is one of the things we can all discuss in this testing.

I ordered my set lofts bone stock to experience it all in the testing, I’m excited to see what’s what and discuss it with everyone! It’s going to be a ton of fun.
Dumb question maybe. I know yardage gaps are always the answer. I’ve understood that from years of loft jacking threads.

But don’t manufactures dial that in within a set? Or at least for the majority of golfers?

For those ordering and going through the shaft overthinking process for forum testing.

Do you guys mind moving that to the PM with @Jman

People are going to find this for reviews and 2 pages of why someone can’t drop a few grams makes it hard for others to follow.

Much appreciated

At this point I think I’ve read Hawk’s review fifteen times.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve put a players distance style iron into the bag for more than a one-off round.

Within that though is my understanding that I don’t have the same swing I used to. I make solid spin now, when in the past that was an area that these kinds of irons presented a lot of distance for me, but at times I struggled for descent angle to hold like I wanted.

That’s a big question for me here I can’t wait to dive into.
I don’t need more distance, but if it comes with well maintained spin and peak/descents, goodness knows I would take it.

Really excited to get this going

These look really really good, and I can't wait to read the forum tester's thoughts on them. Great review by señor @Hawk!

My initial thought was to have the shorter irons bent a little weaker to match the lofts I’m used to but I’ll be ordering stock lofts because it’s better to test them like Wilson recommends so I can experience any odd gapping and adjust from there. I had to bend a couple of my ZX blended set to get the gaps right.

For those selected testers.

What irons are you currently playing? How are these irons different from what you currently play? And What are you expecting to see from these compared to what you currently play?

I snuck up to that course / fitting center I mentioned in my Meet The Tester post to get my hands on these clubs. Here are pictures to give people size perspectives

IMG_8781.jpegIMG_8777.jpegIMG_8778.jpeg

And the soles of the 7i and 8i

IMG_8782.jpeg

The profile is a little different but overall the DPFs are right there in terms of size with many very popular offerings. I did notice the soles were a little bigger but a) they were not “big”; b) you don’t see it at address (or anywhere else unless you are looking for it); and c) I suspect that will be a net positive for the target audience in terms of playability.

I spent some time on an outdoor trackman comparing feel in 7i vs 8i. I have some thoughts but they are early and these were not optimal shafts for me so I think I will hold this for now…I have some ideas for testing this later on.

Attachments

• IMG_8781.jpeg
    IMG_8781.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8780.jpeg
    IMG_8780.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8779.jpeg
    IMG_8779.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8776.jpeg
    IMG_8776.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
For those selected testers.

What irons are you currently playing? How are these irons different from what you currently play? And What are you expecting to see from these compared to what you currently play?
I play the 2018 Apex irons shown in my signature.

Great question. The DPFs are in the same category of clubs and they both used AI, so I’m expecting to see a lot of the same things - distance, forgiveness, feel, small package. There are in the weeds design and build differences.

I really did not come into this testing with any expectations. I’m interested in seeing how the DPFs deliver on distance, forgiveness, feel and size, and exploring how the OEM achieved it.

Back