Wilson Dynapower Forged Irons Review

For those selected testers.

What irons are you currently playing? How are these irons different from what you currently play? And What are you expecting to see from these compared to what you currently play?
I play the Srixon ZX MKii combo set in my signature. I’m expecting these DPF’s to offer a bit more distance and forgiveness especially with the shorter irons. Distance control and being able to flight the ball up or down is important and I’m hopeful theses will excel in those areas. With the thin AI face I’ll be on the lookout for those occasional hot iron shots that fly farther than wanted.

Last edited:
I play (still) Mizuno 225s. I’m mainly looking for more distance. If I get more accuracy, that’s a bonus. I also hope the AI face and power holes provide the occasional miss hit with s minimal loss of distance

Last edited:

What irons are you currently playing? How are these irons different from what you currently play? And What are you expecting to see from these compared to what you currently play?
My current set is the newest Apex Pro from Callaway, the "Players Distance" offering. I haven't had many rounds with those, I got them last year near the end of the season. So far, they have played like the Apex Pro 21s I had. Before those, I played Wilson Staff Tour V6 irons and LOVED them.

The Dynapower Forged are Wilson's players distance iron. Just based on some pictures, I expect these to be more distance than players. The Callaway's have a more brushed finish and look very contemporary, the shiny chrome on the Wilson's look very traditional, but the Power Holes look contemporary. In the bag, they are going to look interesting.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that we get 5-GW because that leaves an Apex Pro 4i in the bag. Maybe that will be a nice option to remind me of that offering and make comparisons easier. I use my 50° a lot, so a set wedge on those delicate swings will be an interesting change.

Currently playing Callaway Apex Pro ‘23. I expect the Dynapowers to be more forgiving and a little longer (I think they’re a degree stronger lofts), but maybe not as snappy turf interaction as the Pros. Possibly higher ball flight but maybe not. Mostly the forgiveness, especially to side and slightly fat. Otherwise the Pros are pretty forgiving as they are for what they are.

I forgot to answer!

Im coming from splitting time with ‘24 Apex Pro CB/MB’s and Edel SMS Pro’s, so, some pretty compact irons with a lot of demand.

I don’t hit my setups short by any means, but I’m expecting more distance here, also more height, as well as less spin.

Biggest thing for me is going to be keeping an eye on the turf interaction as well as the overall consistency of carry numbers through the set, ESPECIALLY where they go from power holes, to solid soles.

I forgot to answer!

Im coming from splitting time with ‘24 Apex Pro CB/MB’s and Edel SMS Pro’s, so, some pretty compact irons with a lot of demand.

I don’t hit my setups short by any means, but I’m expecting more distance here, also more height, as well as less spin.

Biggest thing for me is going to be keeping an eye on the turf interaction as well as the overall consistency of carry numbers through the set, ESPECIALLY where they go from power holes, to solid soles.
It’s interesting that I had a conversation at a store the other day about irons of this ilk. He said he would play them because of “hot spots”.. I am not sure that is a thing anymore but will be interesting to hear if this pops up..

It’s interesting that I had a conversation at a store the other day about irons of this ilk. He said he would play them because of “hot spots”.. I am not sure that is a thing anymore but will be interesting to hear if this pops up..
It’s really not a thing anymore, but I think the Burner 2.0’s scarred many forever into thinking it is haha

My swing is inconsistent enough that if I ever got the odd ball that flew substantially longer, it's more of an accident caused by a good swing.

My swing is inconsistent enough that if I ever got the odd ball that flew substantially longer, it's more of an accident caused by a good swing.
Same

100% this. I was seeing it this morning when I hit them this morning. All distance variance was me and my wonky swing.

I went and got AI fit.

First, my Apex Pro 9i compared to the DPF 7.
1000004188.jpg

1000004187.jpg

1000004185.jpg

There's definitely more heft to DPF. Blade length about the same.

The AI Fit was interesting. Basic questionnaire about skill level, experience, preferred shot shape, and what you want out of an iron, grip, and then wrist to floor static fitting.

There's a designated club with a little doodad in the butt end. You get five swings, not a series of swings and then the five best. Five swings.

I was recommended Model CBs with True Temper 120s with a midsize grip. Since that head isn't an option, we did a more standard fitting with the DPF head. KBS C-Taper Lite was a good fit.

The Fit AI I can see being a great tool for fitters to quickly get customers in the right direction. It's also a good tool for Wilson to gather data on who their base is.

It was jarring however going from the FIT AI club to and actual golf club. The AI Fit club didn't feel like a real club.

The DPFs are toe side forgiving though. Having a toe side strike go long right was crazy

Last edited:
The DPFs are toe side forgiving though. Having a toe side strike go long right was crazy

I can only dream of going long on a toe miss. We'll see!

I went and got AI fit.

First, my Apex Pro 9i compared to the DPF 7.
View attachment 9261720

View attachment 9261721

View attachment 9261722

There's definitely more heft to DPF. Blade length about the same.

The AI Fit was interesting. Basic questionnaire about skill level, experience, preferred shot shape, and what you want out of an iron, grip, and then wrist to floor static fitting.

There's a designated club with a little doodad in the butt end. You get five swings, not s series of swings and then the five best. Five swings.

I was recommended Model CBs with True Temper 120s with a midsize grip. Since that head isn't an option, we did a more standard fitting with the DPF head. KBS C-Taper Lite was a good fit.

The Fit AI I can see being a great tool for fitters to quickly get customers in the right direction. It's also a good tool for Wilson to gather data on who their base is.

It was jarring however going from the FIT AI club to and actual golf club. The AI Fit club didn't feel like a real club.

Good to see a different recommendation than the TT DG everyone else had gotten. 😀

Good to see a different recommendation than the TT DG everyone else had gotten. 😀
I have no doubt the TT DGs would have worked great. For 5 swings in a store. But, to play multiple rounds with that heavy and stiff of a shaft with my reconstructed elbow just wasn't something I was interested in.

I have a hunch that the questions asked at the beginning of the AI Fit narrow down shafts. They're not going to recommend expensive upcharge shafts to somebody who "plays but does not keep score."

I have no doubt the TT DGs would have worked great. For 5 swings in a store. But, to play multiple rounds with that heavy and stiff of a shaft with my reconstructed elbow just wasn't something I was interested in.

I have a hunch that the questions asked at the beginning of the AI Fit narrow down shafts. They're not going to recommend expensive upcharge shafts to somebody who "plays but does not keep score."
I thought it was interesting that all the “what are your goals?” answers were scores. I told the fitter “Keep the ball in front of me and have fun.” He said “I’ll select ‘Under 80’ for you.”

I thought it was interesting that all the “what are your goals?” answers were scores. I told the fitter “Keep the ball in front of me and have fun.” He said “I’ll select ‘Under 80’ for you.”
Right. The question should have been worded differently, "what is your goal score?" Might have been better. I laughed at "Preferred shot shape?" I said, "predictable."

I have a feeling the fitting software is a pretty simple algorithm, it's neat. I don't disagree with the initial recommendation of Model CB and DG 120 X100 but my days of playing 130g iron shafts are over.

Right. The question should have been worded differently, "what is your goal score?" Might have been better. I laughed at "Preferred shot shape?" I said, "predictable."

I have a feeling the fitting software is a pretty simple algorithm, it's neat. I don't disagree with the initial recommendation of Model CB and DG 120 X100 but my days of playing 130g iron shafts are over.
Good call out. When we put it this way - and now definitely knowing the program will recommend different iron heads - DPF irons in 75g Recoil Darts is exactly right.

I am finding a lot of this fascinating. I know that they knew what I was there for, but there were no screens that were missed (until after). The fitter was very happy with the 3 swings I took - I guess they were consistent. I never saw a screen with different club recommendations. He may well have gone past it quickly due to the knowns.

As to the shaft, I hit both the 65 and the 75. He liked my data more with the 75. I think he may have been trying to 'beat' the recommendation. We did go 1/2" over - and the tool did not recommend that - but, again in demoing different lengths it was pretty evident that the added length was the way to go.

Anyway, I am liking all the input from our respective fittings.

I am finding a lot of this fascinating. I know that they knew what I was there for, but there were no screens that were missed (until after). The fitter was very happy with the 3 swings I took - I guess they were consistent. I never saw a screen with different club recommendations. He may well have gone past it quickly due to the knowns.

As to the shaft, I hit both the 65 and the 75. He liked my data more with the 75. I think he may have been trying to 'beat' the recommendation. We did go 1/2" over - and the tool did not recommend that - but, again in demoing different lengths it was pretty evident that the added length was the way to go.

Anyway, I am liking all the input from our respective fittings.
There's probably a big element of this going on too. Some fitters might have a hard time with an app taking all of the nuance out of their jobs. Obviously there are things that the app can't do like swing weight. The app did measure some fun things like hand speed and some other swing related dynamics. That was fun.

I went in for my Wilson AI fitting today and they couldn’t do it because they couldn’t find the club sensor. I went over to another retailer a few miles away and set up a fitting for 3:00 pm tomorrow. I signed up for their full iron fitting which will include the Wilson AI fitting and a lot more. I want to make sure I get to play around with several different shafts because I’ve basically played Dynamic Golds my entire life other than a brief stint with KBS Tour V’s.

I laughed at "Preferred shot shape?" I said, "predictable."
I had a fitter ask me that same question. Looked at me cockeyed when I said fade, but had been hitting nothing but draws. Newer irons just don't seem to like fading the ball, I have to really try. I'd be interested in how any of you guys do at fading these..

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on these irons.

Cool to see the Wilson fitting process for you guys. Loving it so far

I had a fitter ask me that same question. Looked at me cockeyed when I said fade, but had been hitting nothing but draws. Newer irons just don't seem to like fading the ball, I have to really try. I'd be interested in how any of you guys do at fading these..
Well, an 80 yard fade for me moves about 2 ft left to right in the air, so that’s probably not me. If you want to know how well they can be flip hooked, I’m your huckleberry. 😂

Back