Marathon Training

I have to ask this, since this is a golf forum.

For those of you that run, how do you balance golf and running? It’s tough to be all in for both, especially the kind of training @Nate is doing.

I have played more golf this year than I have in a long time, about twice a week. I spent the last 12 years or so focusing on running. Completed 10 marathons, a few ultras and many shorter races. I’m not a competitive runner but just love it. I would say I was averaging 30-35 miles a week, maybe more during marathon training, and honestly did not have time to play much golf.

This year has been much more balanced. I run ~15 miles and play 27-36 holes of golf per week. I have really enjoyed this mix, although I have to admit reading about Nate’s training is making me think about marathon number 11 :giggle:

For those of you that run, how do you balance golf and running? It’s tough to be all in for both, especially the kind of training @Nate is doing.

I have played more golf this year than I have in a long time, about twice a week. I spent the last 12 years or so focusing on running. Completed 10 marathons, a few ultras and many shorter races. I’m not a competitive runner but just love it. I would say I was averaging 30-35 miles a week, maybe more during marathon training, and honestly did not have time to play much golf.

This year has been much more balanced. I run ~15 miles and play 27-36 holes of golf per week. I have really enjoyed this mix, although I have to admit reading about Nate’s training is making me think about marathon number 11 :giggle:
Yea it’s a balancing act for sure. Golf has taken a bit of a hit at times but I seem to make it up (like this weekend playing 3 rounds). I’m consistent at 30-35 miles a week. I think I’m over 1,000 miles ran this year already. But if I schedule golf & still need to get some miles in the barn I’ll go before or after. Just gotta make it work.

Raining here in Dallas today & got my 7 miles in this AM. Was fun having it around while pounding the pavement. 25 days out.

Yea it’s a balancing act for sure. Golf has taken a bit of a hit at times but I seem to make it up (like this weekend playing 3 rounds). I’m consistent at 30-35 miles a week. I think I’m over 1,000 miles ran this year already. But if I schedule golf & still need to get some miles in the barn I’ll go before or after. Just gotta make it work.

Raining here in Dallas today & got my 7 miles in this AM. Was fun having it around while pounding the pavement. 25 days out.
Thought about you yesterday, sir. I went a slow and steady 3.1 miles on the treadmill. I was completely out of gas at the end of that (wanted 3.5 miles). No clue how you do it. Longest I've trotted without walking in 10 years.

Gotta be a training thing, as I did 50 miles of MTB trails on Sunday and could have gone 50 more.

Thought about you yesterday, sir. I went a slow and steady 3.1 miles on the treadmill. I was completely out of gas at the end of that (wanted 3.5 miles). No clue how you do it. Longest I've trotted without walking in 10 years.

Gotta be a training thing, as I did 50 miles of MTB trails on Sunday and could have gone 50 more.
Nice!! That was me in January! I’m still amazed when I finish a 8 mile run & feel good. I definitely reflect back. As you know it’s all about the process & what you’re training for. For me to even be considering a sub 4 hr marathon is mind blowing to me. We are capable of so much more than we think is possible.

One week out. Last long run completed yesterday. Easy 15 at a 9:40 avg pace. Need 9:10 for the #Sub4 so encouraged. With the half I ran under 2hrs and the last few long runs done at an easy pace I'll have a shot. But of course all how the body feels come race day. Juices are starting to flow and will be leaving Friday for San Antonio. #LetsGo

Heading down to San Antonio! Sunday 7am start! Let’s go!
You got this. Best of luck to you. Although its been 23 years since my third and last marathon, I know what you are feeling in the time leading up to the start. I hope you finish and achieve your goals.

You got this. Best of luck to you. Although its been 23 years since my third and last marathon, I know what you are feeling in the time leading up to the start. I hope you finish and achieve your goals.
Appreciate it! I definitely respect the 26.2 & won’t take it for granted. Nothing is owed to anyone. But I’ve done the work (again) and feel prepared. Time goal is up there but not do or die. Eye on the prize.

I have asked the same question. I ran 3 marathon’s my last being over 9 years ago. Not much running at all the last 6 years. On a whim 6 months ago I entered a 50km trail race to force myself to get fit as I had stacked on the kg.

I ran 4 times a week maxed out at 50km for a week just aiming at finishing. Unfortunately I misjudged the difficulty of the course as it ended up being incredibly technical and it totally kicked my but. It took me 9 and a half hours to finish 😱. I was in no way prepared for that challenge.

I concluded that you cannot train properly for running marathons and ultras while playing golf. So I am aiming to run 4 times a week but no competition for now. Golf competition is enough and frankly I seem better at golf than running now.

I was social running back in the day and had a friend who ran marathons, I ran 30mins 3 nights and 90mins Sunday and played tennis 3times per week. Never had the urge to run 26miles in one go just didn't interest me going through this much pain, I was fit enough doing what I did but thought about running again recently and the body objected and blood pressure went up so I'm stuck with walking 😭 good luck to all those still in the race just don't stop 😞

I mean, with only 24 hours in the day, it certainly is hard, especially if you have family and work obligations to mix in both. Golf is a time-consuming sport, considering a 9 hole round with a round trip drive to and from the course is probably 3 hours alone.

I’m certainly not a long distance runner. At the moment I only run in 5k races … but I try to run first thing in the morning and then I still have time to get to the golf course for some range time in the afternoon. If I did doubles, then I don’t know where it would fit it in, plus with energy levels and all

Appreciate it! I definitely respect the 26.2 & won’t take it for granted. Nothing is owed to anyone. But I’ve done the work (again) and feel prepared. Time goal is up there but not do or die. Eye on the prize.
Good luck Nate! Big Time!

First run back in months!
IMG_0694.jpeg

Train on turf/dirt trails, cross country. Continuous training on pavement is really hard on the body.

Back