Marathon Training

Good luck @Nate if the race has tracking post that link!!!

What a ride. When I first set out on this challenge my goal was to just finish. Then about half way through training I started getting a number in my head. I wanted it to be aggressive even though it was my 1st. I can up with 4:30….little over 10 minutes a mile.

I set out taking @Vortex advice going nice and easy the first half of the race. Stayed right around a 10:30 minute pace and felt really good. Went through the 17-20 mile “body is starting to get uncomfortable” feeling and got through it. Then we decided after mile 20 I was letting the horse loose. Well, in San Diego there is a hill in mile 21 that’s a good climb and it was no joke. Once on top I had 3.5 miles left so let it out. Went 8:00 & 7:45 minute miles for the last 2.

End result: 4:29:42

Very happy w/ the results especially being marathon 1. I’m now a finisher! Great weekend in San Diego. Headed back today and body is doing really well. Sore but moving well. Training the right way made all the difference. I must have passed over 200 runners those last 3 miles who were struggling getting in. @Vortex was right…..passing people at the end of the race feels good. Taking souls one by one as I passed.

IMG_0839.jpeg
IMG_0841.jpeg
E670F8F7-F20E-4496-B7DD-2A6C73870700.jpeg

What a ride. When I first set out on this challenge my goal was to just finish. Then about half way through training I started getting a number in my head. I wanted it to be aggressive even though it was my 1st. I can up with 4:30….little over 10 minutes a mile.

I set out taking @Vortex advice going nice and easy the first half of the race. Stayed right around a 10:30 minute pace and felt really good. Went through the 17-20 mile “body is starting to get uncomfortable” feeling and got through it. Then we decided after mile 20 I was letting the horse loose. Well, in San Diego there is a hill in mile 21 that’s a good climb and it was no joke. Once on top I had 3.5 miles left so let it out. Went 8:00 & 7:45 minute miles for the last 2.

Very happy w/ the results especially being marathon 1. I’m now a finisher! Great weekend in San Diego. Headed back today and body is doing really well. Sore but moving well. Training the right way made all the difference. I must have passed over 200 runners those last 3 miles who were struggling getting in. @Vortex was right…..passing people at the end of the race feels good. Taking souls one by one as I passed.

View attachment 9184163
View attachment 9184164
View attachment 9184165
Congrats dude!!! I was following along yesterday!!! Heck yeah on that finish!!!

@Nate - awesome race report! FYI, my gal gave you props on shirt/shorts/shoes color selections.

I recall an early text exchange about training after you decided to run. You basically asked how many weekly miles are required to finish. I said something like 30-35 and you immediately asked if i was high. That number is toward the end of training, not the start. 😀. Bet you could easily run 30+ after another week of recovery. What was your biggest mileage week?

It sounds like your recovery is going well but here’s a pro tip for marathon #2. Buy some of those old man compression socks at CVS and wear them as much as possible (for 2 or 3 days) after finishing.

@Nate - awesome race report! FYI, my gal gave you props on shirt/shorts/shoes color selections.

I recall an early text exchange about training after you decided to run. You basically asked how many weekly miles are required to finish. I said something like 30-35 and you immediately asked if i was high. That number is toward the end of training, not the start. 😀. Bet you could easily run 30+ after another week of recovery. What was your biggest mileage week?

It sounds like your recovery is going well but here’s a pro tip for marathon #2. Buy some of those old man compression socks at CVS and wear them as much as possible (for 2 or 3 days) after finishing.
43 was the highest week and it was towards the end of the training. Had a 39 and then a 34.

View attachment 9184163
View attachment 9184164
View attachment 9184165
Wait....I thought your strategy was to draft? ;)

Congratulations on the huge achievement.

I ran 1.2 miles this morning. so we're the same now.

Wait....I thought your strategy was to draft? ;)

Congratulations on the huge achievement.

I ran 1.2 miles this morning. so we're the same now.
Oh, drafting was done during those middle miles. Lulu's were found!

I am not a runner and likely never will be, but my dad took it up when I was a kid and got into doing ultra marathons and more. He even did the Western States several times, always finishing before the cutoff of 30 hours.

He did write a book on taking care of your feet which is just as good for backpacking, running and golfing in case anyone is interested:

Why run 1 marathon when you can run 2!

Yup! Marathon 2 registered. San Antonio Dec. 3rd.

As I've pondered the last few days (and months) deciding where I wanted to go from here I kept coming back to the same conclusion.......I'm not done yet here. I've got more. I've got a sub 4 hour marathon in me. After seeing what I still had left over the last 6 miles I couldn't help but to ponder getting that sub 4 hour mark.

There are things that I omitted from this first training period that I want to now add. Speed work. Leg strength work. Hill training. I know I can get my average mile pace from 10:18 to 9:08 to break the 4 hour mark doing this. So here we go again. I'm not done yet.

1st -> sub 4 -> Boston. Let’s go!!!

I'm back!!!

Time for marathon #2. December. 11 weeks out. San Antonio R&R series. Been running "loosely" since August but started the prep this week giving me 12 weeks.

Goal 1 - Beat my 1st marathon time of 4:29
Goal 2 - Sub 4 hour.

Adding some speed/tempo work into the routine this time around. 1st one was today and really enjoyed the change from the long runs. Think I will enjoy them.

Appreciated the support from the 1st one and look forward to what #2 brings as I continue to navigate my way through this crazy running world.

46 days till San Antonio & already feel like I’m behind. Is that natural? I’ll have banked over 35-40 miles this week but don’t feel over the hump yet. Hoping that’s gonna come in the next week or so.

Been doing a lot more runs in the 5-8 mile duration w/ a long run over the weekend. Have worked in a tempo/speed day during the week which is a nice change.

Still unsure on the breaking sub 4 hours. Thinking next few weeks are going to be a tell.

Last edited:
35 days out to San Antonio. "Easy" 14 mile run yesterday at about 10min pace in HR zone 2. Didn't drop the hammer even though the body wanted to towards the end. Signed up for a half marathon next Saturday in McKinney to use as part of training. Goal is Sub 2 hour (9:09 min pace). Going to be interesting to see where I'm at and if the Sub 4 marathon goal is doable.

Weight down to almost 205 lbs. Goal is 200 by race time.

35 days out to San Antonio. "Easy" 14 mile run yesterday at about 10min pace in HR zone 2. Didn't drop the hammer even though the body wanted to towards the end. Signed up for a half marathon next Saturday in McKinney to use as part of training. Goal is Sub 2 hour (9:09 min pace). Going to be interesting to see where I'm at and if the Sub 4 marathon goal is doable.

Weight down to almost 205 lbs. Goal is 200 by race time.
I look forward to following your progress towards your goals. Best of luck to you.

My physical therapist runs 80 miles per week. I know people who don't drive that far in a week.

Back