Marathon Training

MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
I am going to attempt a marathon in April 2023. I have started running again to try and get a good base before real training starts later in the year.

I am going to try and use the Nike run club training plan for this. I have run 5 half marathons before but never a full marathon. I was able to run all the half marathons under 2 hrs. Fastest was around 1:47. I have heard a full is a lot more stuff involved with training and recovery.

Any tips for training and recovery would be great. What did you use to get you recovered to train well (theragun products...) ? Did you find any of the fuel during the race to be beneficial (like the gu packs)? What's your best advice?

Take this advice with a grain of salt, I did my first few terribly, and learned as I went. I’ve run multiple solo marathons (self-supported, never actually run an “actual marathon”, just the distance while training), a few 50KM races, and distances up to 125km.

1. Finish. The juice is worth the squeeze. I don’t care if you have to walk/crawl/drag yourself across that line, you’ll still be a marathoner if you finish.
1a. Don’t injure yourself accomplishing goal #1.
2. Make a plan to accomplish goal #1. Sounds like your on track for this.
3. Schedule your recovery - yoga, foam rolling, theragun, etc. and make this a priority.
4. Hit the weights and do core, a ton of it. Your form will suffer immensely as you start to get fatigued. Strong cores finish long races.
5. Use your training to figure out what works for fueling, bring it with you, and do not deviate. There is nothing worse than being on your target pace and suffering through cramps.
6. Pace yourself and don’t get caught in the chase. I went out heavy on a 100M and blew up disappointingly.
7. Have someone there to support you! Nothing is better at the midway point than seeing a familiar face and hearing them cheer you on.

Im more than happy to assist in any way I can, reach out if you have any questions! YOU CAN DO THIS

Great advice @ryang13 !!! Minus the walk/crawl/piggyback ride tip. If you can avoid any of the above do it. Once you walk, your body and mind will play tricks on you to get you to do it more and more as the miles go by.

Will we need to chat! It seems like you have a plan set and interested to hear how you like the Nike training program. I’ve completed 13 marathons and have always used Hal Higdon training plans. On a few marathons I modified to fit my schedule.
Tips…
Do not skip your long training runs…these are critical!
Prepare yourself mentally for this last six miles, because your longest training run will be 20 miles.
Find a fuel that works best for you. I’ve used several gels during my marathons and some can be harsh on your stomach. Definitely do not deviate and use a different flavor during race day if you haven’t had it before.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck with the training - I am sure it will be a very rewarding journey

Good luck!

Best of luck buddy! I’d offer advice but I’ve got none, you’ll never see me running one of these haha

Actually @MarMill im ready to run another. Let’s get to training!

Great advice @ryang13 !!! Minus the walk/crawl/piggyback ride tip. If you can avoid any of the above do it. Once you walk, your body and mind will play tricks on you to get you to do it more and more as the miles go by.

Will we need to chat! It seems like you have a plan set and interested to hear how you like the Nike training program. I’ve completed 13 marathons and have always used Hal Higdon training plans. On a few marathons I modified to fit my schedule.
Tips…
Do not skip your long training runs…these are critical!
Prepare yourself mentally for this last six miles, because your longest training run will be 20 miles.
Find a fuel that works best for you. I’ve used several gels during my marathons and some can be harsh on your stomach. Definitely do not deviate and use a different flavor during race day if you haven’t had it before.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Hal Higdon is good. I’d recommend his book on marathon training to anyone attempting a marathon, especially a first timer.

I've run 2 marathons, and I used Hal Higdon programs to get me through training.
If I were to do it differently, depending on when your marathon is in 2023, I would spend a lot of time working on leg and back strength. Doing squats and deadlifts, and keeping those at a "maintenance" level while doing the marathon training.

I have successfully completed 3 marathons. My advice is to follow your training. The long runs are the most important part of training.

I would say it is important to run within your limits. The goal is to finish the race.

And when you take the first stride from the starting line, remember to remind yourself that I am going to finish.

Wow, good luck with your training @MarMill. I could never run 26 miles in fact I hate driving 26 miles.

If I was doing it again, I would also really up my protein intake for recovery. There is a ton of talk about carbs for endurance athletes, but getting enough protein is going to help your muscles recover.

Core strength is key and one that I did not do much of. If I was to do it again I would focus heavily on that piece.

Rock on!

Hal Higdon is good. I’d recommend his book on marathon training to anyone attempting a marathon, especially a first timer.
I used his stuff for the half marathons I did. I liked it.

I've run 2 marathons, and I used Hal Higdon programs to get me through training.
If I were to do it differently, depending on when your marathon is in 2023, I would spend a lot of time working on leg and back strength. Doing squats and deadlifts, and keeping those at a "maintenance" level while doing the marathon training.
That's good to know. Cross training for that would be helpful. I don't do a lot of weight lifting but may need to add that to the training.

I have successfully completed 3 marathons. My advice is to follow your training. The long runs are the most important part of training.

I would say it is important to run within your limits. The goal is to finish the race.

And when you take the first stride from the starting line, remember to remind yourself that I am going to finish.
If I was doing it again, I would also really up my protein intake for recovery. There is a ton of talk about carbs for endurance athletes, but getting enough protein is going to help your muscles recover.
What goals did you set up for yourself. I definitely want to run under 4 hours but it depends on how training goes. I stopped running for a couple years when I had some kids. They are now 5 and 3 and it is much more manageable to get out now.

I am a hiker not a runner, and i envy those who can. I just never could do the long ones. DO IT !

Oh and maintain your feet. If you can snag an extra pair of shoes to swap out between pairs during training I would recommend it highly. That way if something happens to your “A” pair before the race, your “B” pair is already ready to go. Keep toenails cut, I used to tape my arches on any distance over that half marathon distance, and don’t cheap out on your socks. What’s your go to shoe for running right now?

Oh and maintain your feet. If you can snag an extra pair of shoes to swap out between pairs during training I would recommend it highly. That way if something happens to your “A” pair before the race, your “B” pair is already ready to go. Keep toenails cut, I used to tape my arches on any distance over that half marathon distance, and don’t cheap out on your socks. What’s your go to shoe for running right now?

The extra shoes is really great advice. At that distance using a shoe even slightly off for you can be pretty awful.

Typically with shoes if i find one i like, i'll order 2-3 more pairs of it.

I'm done with anything over 15km or so though in single shots. I don't enjoy running anymore really. I just do it so i can eat more burgers

I am going to attempt a marathon in April 2023. I have started running again to try and get a good base before real training starts later in the year.

I am going to try and use the Nike run club training plan for this. I have run 5 half marathons before but never a full marathon. I was able to run all the half marathons under 2 hrs. Fastest was around 1:47. I have heard a full is a lot more stuff involved with training and recovery.

Any tips for training and recovery would be great. What did you use to get you recovered to train well (theragun products...) ? Did you find any of the fuel during the race to be beneficial (like the gu packs)? What's your best advice?
I've done 6, with one being the run portion of an ironman.

1. Train with food/drink that will be on the course
2. Don't increase milage too fast. Getting to the starting line healthy is harder than getting to the finish line
3. Don't start too fast. It's way more fun to be passing zombies at the end than it is to be a zombie at the end. I've been both. 😁

Have fun!!!!

Last edited:
Some very good advice above. I have run 4 marathons over the years including one Boston. You have picked a training plan, stick with it. If the weather sucks on a scheduled long run, do the long run. It may not be perfect conditions race day. Training in tough conditions will make you mentally tougher. I had a long run scheduled in March in prep for Boston and it was 40 degrees and raining. It sucked, there was a road I could have taken to go home and have had half the mileage the plan called for but I forced myself to keep going. I'm glad I did.

Good advise on shoes above. I'll also throw in shorts and singlet or shirt you will wear. Not all that work for 5K work for marathon. I found a favorite on long runs that'd I'd wear on race day. Body Glide anti chaffing rub is your friend. I liked it better than Vaseline. My wife who has run 14 marathons uses it religiously on her long runs.

Nipples tend to take a beating, Dr Sholls corn pads, the round with hole in the middle keep your nips in tack. Nothing like taking your shower and having the salt from your sweat sting the nips. Ask me how I know.

Good luck, train smart.

I have the Mizuno Wave Inspire 17 (which I don't know if I love) Lots of stability but feels weird right now. I have the On cloud flow as well which I like better but worried about running longer distances in them. May look into some Adidas with the foam. I am a pretty neutral runner. If I get a pair of shoes that doesn't work I get knee pain on the outside of my right knee.

Back