Marathon Training

Be proud of the accomplishment. Nice run!

Congrats on accomplishing your goal! !

Always a fun post-race question; will you do another marathon? :) Enjoy a few weeks of rest.

FWIW, my plan was one & done but ran 25 of them.
Don't think I'll get to 25 but I probably have a few more in me. I want to run one with not having to stop for cramping to see how it would go. I think it would have been sub 4:30 for sure.

Don't think I'll get to 25 but I probably have a few more in me. I want to run one with not having to stop for cramping to see how it would go. I think it would have been sub 4:30 for sure.
Race and training analytics provide lots of valuable information, if performance is the goal. One of the things I enjoyed about marathons was calculating, and comparing, potential versus result for each race. Mile repeat times and warmup races determined fitness potential. Race tactics determined success or failure. The biggest killer is going too fast at the start.

Here's a piece of fodder to ponder during your recovery...break the race into four segments. Start -> 10K, 10K -> half, half -> 20M, and 20M -> finish. See if you can run segment 4 faster than segment 1. You have to really force yourself to hold back for 15 or 16 miles to do this. If you do, then you have a great chance of avoiding cramps and meeting the time goal. Nutrition/water could be the cramping source but too much effort too early is the likely culprit.

I 'raced' a few marathons and my split time goals were S1 - 45:00, S2 - 1:35, S3 - 2:25, and S4 - 3:10.

Here's official data from a 3:39 race with my cousin. We adjusted the segment goals but the process was the same.

Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 6.27.32 PM.png

Payoff example...
Screen Shot 2023-04-30 at 6.28.47 PM.png

Race and training analytics provide lots of valuable information, if performance is the goal. One of the things I enjoyed about marathons was calculating, and comparing, potential versus result for each race. Mile repeat times and warmup races determined fitness potential. Race tactics determined success or failure. The biggest killer is going too fast at the start.

Here's a piece of fodder to ponder during your recovery...break the race into four segments. Start -> 10K, 10K -> half, half -> 20M, and 20M -> finish. See if you can run segment 4 faster than segment 1. You have to really force yourself to hold back for 15 or 16 miles to do this. If you do, then you have a great chance of avoiding cramps and meeting the time goal. Nutrition/water could be the cramping source but too much effort too early is the likely culprit.

I 'raced' a few marathons and my split time goals were S1 - 45:00, S2 - 1:35, S3 - 2:25, and S4 - 3:10.

Here's official data from a 3:39 race with my cousin. We adjusted the segment goals but the process was the same.

View attachment 9175101

Payoff example...
View attachment 9175102
Nice. I'll have to look at this. Yeah. If I started a minute slower it probably would have paid off

Well done and congrats @MarMill !! That's something to be proud of, and excited to see where this takes you. That kind of hard work and attitude will benefit you elsewhere in life!

Well, if I wasn't excited about 5 weeks from now before today........I am now!

My man @MarMill getting it done! I truly respect the feat of training and completing a marathon. I’ve done a 10k and several 5k’s but I will never be in the shape to run a marathon. Good job brother!!!

I should show this thread to my assistant at work. Yesterday was the Big Sur marathon and we always put a team in as a sponsor. Apparently, she was persuaded to run. She doesn’t run and did exactly zero training, just literally turned up on the morning. She still managed to soldier on to 18 miles before having to admit defeat. Needless to say, she’s in work this morning in absolute bits LOL.

Congrats, Will! Finishing a marathon is a fantastic accomplishment!

Congrats [mention]MarMill [/mention] huge accomplishment! Glad you fought through the cramps and finished.

Heck of a job @MarMill! Congrats on finishing!! Hella impressive!

17M’er done this AM. This one was tougher than the 15M’er done last week. Weird. But thinking maybe cause this was the 4th day in a row running & the legs were a little worn down. Still managed to go faster on the 2nd half of the run. Took in water/electrolytes every 5.5M’s but thinking on race day I need to be drinking something every 3/4 miles. I was pretty thirsty for each drink stop today.

17M’er done this AM. This one was tougher than the 15M’er done last week. Weird. But thinking maybe cause this was the 4th day in a row running & the legs were a little worn down. Still managed to go faster on the 2nd half of the run. Took in water/electrolytes every 5.5M’s but thinking on race day I need to be drinking something every 3/4 miles. I was pretty thirsty for each drink stop today.
Yeah. It's a fine line. Drink to much get water log drink too little bit good.

Going to the orthopedist to get my foot checked out so I can start running again.

20M run completed today. Felt good entire way. Legs held up pretty well but sore now. I think I got this. 2.5 weeks to go.
Oh yeah!!! Can’t wait to follow along!!!

@MarMill is trying to talk me into coming out of retirement to run my 13th Marathon. I’m not superstitious or anything, but…

20M run completed today. Felt good entire way. Legs held up pretty well but sore now. I think I got this. 2.5 weeks to go.
Nice!

All signs look good. I think you got it too. Best of luck to you.

12M long run completed today. Last long run. Puts me at 543 miles run since the January start. Will throw in some 4-5M runs between now and next week then try and shut it down after a short run on Wednesday. Game day in 10 days. I'm ready.

12M long run completed today. Last long run. Puts me at 543 miles run since the January start. Will throw in some 4-5M runs between now and next week then try and shut it down after a short run on Wednesday. Game day in 10 days. I'm ready.
Congrats on completing your training! I know you didn't ask :)D), but... You might consider keeping the short runs going instead of shutting it down after Wednesday. Your body will listen and waking it up on race morning can be tricky. Run a few 2 or 3 milers before the race just keep the legs moving. Again, it's just a thought.

Congrats on completing your training! I know you didn't ask :)D), but... You might consider keeping the short runs going instead of shutting it down after Wednesday. Your body will listen and waking it up on race morning can be tricky. Run a few 2 or 3 milers before the race just keep the legs moving. Again, it's just a thought.
Will do! I'm gonna go on final runs Wednesday and Thursday then fly out Friday to San Diego. Then go somewhere nice (beach area or park) for a 2-3 mile shake out run Saturday. It's here!

By Thursday's end I will have completed 565 miles for this marathon training which began in January. When I started, I couldn't complete 2-3 miles without stopping for rest. It's amazing what the mind and body can accomplish when put together. Today I ran an easy 5 miles at a 9:30 pace and had plenty in reserve. Body feeling good! #NotDoneYet

Back