Marathon Training

"The hay WAS in the barn"

That's something I kept telling myself this last year. Every mile of training I did since January 2023. Over 1,000 miles run. Another mile in the barn. Stacking the bricks. Convincing myself I could run a sub 4-hour marathon was crazy. That would be cutting over 29 minutes off my 1st marathon time (4:29) in San Diego in June. That would be cutting over a minute a mile in my time.

But we're not supposed to accomplish every goal we make, right? Failure makes us stronger. Failure makes us regroup and call the wagons back. Then 5 weeks ago I ran a half marathon as part of my training and ran with the sub 2-hour pacers. I finished 1:56. One of the pacers came up to me after and congratulated me on the sub 2 hour and recommended that I shoot for a time around 4:10 for San Antonio. I was confused; but why? Was my goal too aggressive? Was I being unrealistic? That triggered the little voice that comes out every now and then saying, "You know Nate, he's right, let's be realistic here, you just started running only 10 months ago, let's think about this." And that voice lasted about the time it took me to get to my car to leave. F THAT!

My strategy was to find the Sub 4-hour pacers and use them for the race. Well, I couldn't find them come race time and it's probably something I should have looked into more before race day. I just assumed they would be in the stall for the 4:00 expected race time. Nope, they apparently were up in the front. So I was on my own for this one as the race kicked off.

As many have said here @Mmaynard11 & @Vortex getting away from the masses at the beginning takes some time. I went out easy with a 9:21 split. I knew I needed to average under a 9:10 split and was shooting for 9:00 splits to be safe. So the next 4 miles I was right around a 9:00 pace. Then miles 6-11 I went 8:36 avg splits. I knew I was acuminating some time for the hills at the end. Miles 12-17 I was still hovering around a 8:50 pace. Not going to lie, I knew miles 16-22 would be key in me getting the sub-4. I got through those at a 9:07 avg clip. Was still ahead. Mile 23 hit a good hill and hit my highest time of 9:46. It was a beast. But my avg pace on my watch showed me at 8:57 so I knew I had some wiggle room. But it of course wasn't official.

Busted out the last 3 miles at 8:49 and was pooped by the .2 miles left! Official Time: 3:55:00 on the nose.

"F THAT" I said as I crossed the finish line. F THAT indeed.

Thank you all that have followed my journey this year! Big props to @Vortex for being my sounding board for these 2 marathons. I'm a marathon runner now and it just sounds f'ing cool to say. I'm already getting the what's next questions. I don't know to be honest but for now I'm going to enjoy this accomplishment and let it marinate. The only thing I do know right now is I'm #NotDoneYet. ;)

im-not-done-yet-kyle-van-noy.gif

Congrats on beating your goal!!

"The hay WAS in the barn"

That's something I kept telling myself this last year. Every mile of training I did since January 2023. Over 1,000 miles run. Another mile in the barn. Stacking the bricks. Convincing myself I could run a sub 4-hour marathon was crazy. That would be cutting over 29 minutes off my 1st marathon time (4:29) in San Diego in June. That would be cutting over a minute a mile in my time.

But we're not supposed to accomplish every goal we make, right? Failure makes us stronger. Failure makes us regroup and call the wagons back. Then 5 weeks ago I ran a half marathon as part of my training and ran with the sub 2-hour pacers. I finished 1:56. One of the pacers came up to me after and congratulated me on the sub 2 hour and recommended that I shoot for a time around 4:10 for San Antonio. I was confused; but why? Was my goal too aggressive? Was I being unrealistic? That triggered the little voice that comes out every now and then saying, "You know Nate, he's right, let's be realistic here, you just started running only 10 months ago, let's think about this." And that voice lasted about the time it took me to get to my car to leave. F THAT!

My strategy was to find the Sub 4-hour pacers and use them for the race. Well, I couldn't find them come race time and it's probably something I should have looked into more before race day. I just assumed they would be in the stall for the 4:00 expected race time. Nope, they apparently were up in the front. So I was on my own for this one as the race kicked off.

As many have said here @Mmaynard11 & @Vortex getting away from the masses at the beginning takes some time. I went out easy with a 9:21 split. I knew I needed to average under a 9:10 split and was shooting for 9:00 splits to be safe. So the next 4 miles I was right around a 9:00 pace. Then miles 6-11 I went 8:36 avg splits. I knew I was acuminating some time for the hills at the end. Miles 12-17 I was still hovering around a 8:50 pace. Not going to lie, I knew miles 16-22 would be key in me getting the sub-4. I got through those at a 9:07 avg clip. Was still ahead. Mile 23 hit a good hill and hit my highest time of 9:46. It was a beast. But my avg pace on my watch showed me at 8:57 so I knew I had some wiggle room. But it of course wasn't official.

Busted out the last 3 miles at 8:49 and was pooped by the .2 miles left! Official Time: 3:55:00 on the nose.

"F THAT" I said as I crossed the finish line. F THAT indeed.

Thank you all that have followed my journey this year! Big props to @Vortex for being my sounding board for these 2 marathons. I'm a marathon runner now and it just sounds f'ing cool to say. I'm already getting the what's next questions. I don't know to be honest but for now I'm going to enjoy this accomplishment and let it marinate. The only thing I do know right now is I'm #NotDoneYet. ;)

im-not-done-yet-kyle-van-noy.gif
Awesome job Nate and great write up.

Just dropping a seed that needs to germinate over the winter. Pick a 'fast' course for #3. Chicago was always my favorite. They had seeding corrals and I was lucky enough to qualify right behind the elite wave. My three fastest marathons all occurred in Chicago (did it 3 times). Tuscon is supposed to be fast too but those downhill courses are tough on the quads. Strongly recommend flat and cool. #3:30!

Awesome job Nate and great write up.

Just dropping a seed that needs to germinate over the winter. Pick a 'fast' course for #3. Chicago was always my favorite. They had seeding corrals and I was lucky enough to qualify right behind the elite wave. My three fastest marathons all occurred in Chicago (did it 3 times). Tuscon is supposed to be fast too but those downhill courses are tough on the quads. Strongly recommend flat and cool. #3:30!
CIM 2024?

CIM 2024?
Sacramento definitely qualifies. Turnaround is too fast but you can't go wrong with Vegas. I ran the 1/2 there...quick course but boring scenery and nothing special.

las vegas GIF

What hydration packs do you guys like when running longer distances? I am thinking about a belt with some water bottles and storage. I am just concerned about them bouncing around when running. I have looked at reviews of a lot and don't know which to go with.

What hydration packs do you guys like when running longer distances? I am thinking about a belt with some water bottles and storage. I am just concerned about them bouncing around when running. I have looked at reviews of a lot and don't know which to go with.
Don’t use one for the reason of extra weight & being uncomfortable. I always plan my runs in a loop format. 3 to 6 mile loops where I come back to my starting point where my water/electrolytes are stashed. So I’m no help!!!

Back in the day when I run 90ish mins on Sunday I ran around Sydney 😍 Harbour and there's lots of water 🌊 fountains around to drink, during the week it was 30 mins so didn't need water till I got home. Sydney harbour was absolutely stunning to run but 20years later I miss it more than I can say...

I use an Ultimate Direction vest for longer runs, or a handheld bottle holder for shorter stuff.

I never found a belt I could get comfortable with. The vest is great. It’s lightweight and more secure for me.

IMG_0549.jpeg

Don’t use one for the reason of extra weight & being uncomfortable. I always plan my runs in a loop format. 3 to 6 mile loops where I come back to my starting point where my water/electrolytes are stashed. So I’m no help!!!
I utilized the loop method in the past. I never felt comfortable carrying a water bottle in a belt. Now on long runs, I make sure that I run by my house at some point, I'll have water or electrolytes ready.

I got a vest coming this weekend. Hopefully I like it. Really trying to stay in the proper heart rate zones for runs. May need to invest in a chest monitor vs the watch

I’m debating on the Coros Pace 2 vs 3. Any of you guys had Coros?

I’m debating on the Coros Pace 2 vs 3. Any of you guys had Coros?
Never had one, send good things

Currently have a fenix; expensive, but highly recommend

I got a vest coming this weekend. Hopefully I like it. Really trying to stay in the proper heart rate zones for runs. May need to invest in a chest monitor vs the watch
Are you back to training for a marathon?

I’ve never been able to wear a hydration vest. On my 20 mile runs I would carry to water bottles, one in each hand and would drop off a bottle 5 miles in on the side of my path.

Are you back to training for a marathon?

I’ve never been able to wear a hydration vest. On my 20 mile runs I would carry to water bottles, one in each hand and would drop off a bottle 5 miles in on the side of my path.
I’m going to attempt again.

Been getting back into training. My zone 2 pace is pretty slow without really having a base before training. But really going to use heart rate training for this one.

Fantastic day in the DFW area today. Sunny 70 degrees! Great 9M easy run.

This evening registered for a few half marathons & the 1 big marathon at the end of the year. Plan is to run 4 half’s (Trail run Lake Possum Kingdom - March, OK City - April, San Diego - June) & 1 more half TBD probably in the fall. Then full marathon, CIM in Sacramento December to end. Goal hopefully will be 3:30. All events have been registered for.

Adding speed work this year & just consistent running splits. Gonna be interesting!!

#NotDoneYet

Back