Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

I continue to be impressed with the Chrome Tour in windy conditions. I played two rounds this past week in some really gusty conditions and it seemed less difficult than usual to get my ball where I wanted it.

Fully agree with this point…very good ball in the wind.

Had some great check ups today on some really hard and fast greens today. ( they have to aerate early if that says anything) Played 18 with the same ball. It was scuffed as per what would be expected in general wear and tear and 1 tree branch. Really enjoying the ball in feel and performance

Put the Chrome Tour in play today as it was actually dry out there finally. I actually really liked this ball in normal conditions outside of our punched greens so not much to give there yet.

Overall the ball was easy to compress, felt great and sounded nice coming off of each club. The distance was really good compared to my normal gamer.

This is most certainly a ball that could become permanent but I do want to get these in dry conditions with normal unpunched greens.

I continue to be impressed with the Chrome Tour in windy conditions. I played two rounds this past week in some really gusty conditions and it seemed less difficult than usual to get my ball where I wanted it.
Same here. It’s the best wind ball I’ve played and gives me a lot of confidence where I might have been doubting a club choice previously.

Looking forward to seeing these in action again at Briggs the next couple of days.

I accidentally did a blind test today. I was surprised when I learned I was playing the Chrome Tour and not the Chrome Tour X. It explained the extra roll on short game shots but I was really surprised at distance off the tee. I didn’t expect that. The CT was pretty sticky on approach shots too so I thought I pulled the CTX from my bag.

After 12 holes I switched to the CTX. I saw more movement in my shots and grippy short game shots. The CT was much straighter and it felt more forgiving distance wise on slightly off center shots. I spun them both pretty high with a steep driver at times. I kinda liked the CT more which is the opposite of where I was playing winter golf.

I have been playing Chrome Tour and occasionally some Supersoft in 2024. I recently picked up a dozen of the new Chrome Soft that I am going to play this month. I will post back on my thoughts versus Chrome Tour.

I have been practicing chipping with a sleeve of Chrome Soft this month and have liked them a lot.

I also really like the Dick’s Sporting Goods color scheme of TT360
IMG_0488.jpeg

Put the Chrome Tour in play last night during my round and the ball performed well for me in all aspects of the game. Off the tee had the flight apex I was looking for and roll after finding the turf. Where it shined yesterday was on shots into very fast greens and I was see the ball check up and stop very fast. Hit one tree and had some markings, but no damage that would affect performance. Very happy day!!!

I come from the X LS ball, and loved it, but know I have to change. Had a couple dozen left, but could not wait to try the Chrome Tour, so I started mixing it in.

First, the Chrome Tour looks better than the X LS after a round. Not as dingy (with frequent ball washer at tee use on both) as the X LS. OK, well there's that.

Second, I like that the Chrome Tour (CT) has at least some audible feedback off the milled putter face of the Guerrin Rife (yesteryear) putter. Not clicky, but much, much better than the Chrome Soft which was like mush. Audio is important, at least to me, with the ball off the putter face as a point of reference for distance on longer putts.

Third, approach and especially chips seemed better with the CT, over the X LS. Both in performance and feel. Had one 168 yd. "approach" shot uphill in elevation about 20 feet with a window from the rough to shoot through to the green, with a 15-17 mph RtL wind, and the window was right of the flag about 10 ft. Used a six iron from the rough. I have a high flight on my shot as a norm. This would normally put me off the green to the left easily in that wind. Ended up with a 7 ft. putt slightly uphill just 3 feet off line RtL. The CT is flat out amazing in the wind, even side to side.

Fourth, the chips with the CT sound and feel better than the X LS. The ball does seem to stop better/faster with the CT over the X LS, but with my skill level, it's not overly impressive. I am working on learning what I call the chunk chip (burying the head at impact to create more spin), but if my practice proves what I think it will be based on the follow through "flop", the CT will win out here as well.

Fifth, the X LS has a better "smash" sound off the Stealth 2 driver face than the CT. CT is not "bad" but the X LS sounded better off the face. Distance seemed about the same on well struck drives. This was a tie until further testing/comparison.

So, this was my working the way back from the tee comparison for the "old" X LS guys.

I picked up a couple sleeves of the Chrome Tour X for fun just to see what the difference might be. I was using the 2022 Chrome Soft after a long time away from golf and liking it, but HATING putting with it because of the mushy feel off the putter, and tried the X LS because a buddy gave me a sleeve and WOW, it (in a Michael Newton's accent) 'chcked all the buxes'.

So, might as well try the CT X, just in case during the transition to a new ball. We'll see.....

I come from the X LS ball, and loved it, but know I have to change. Had a couple dozen left, but could not wait to try the Chrome Tour, so I started mixing it in.

First, the Chrome Tour looks better than the X LS after a round. Not as dingy (with frequent ball washer at tee use on both) as the X LS. OK, well there's that.

Second, I like that the Chrome Tour (CT) has at least some audible feedback off the milled putter face of the Guerrin Rife (yesteryear) putter. Not clicky, but much, much better than the Chrome Soft which was like mush. Audio is important, at least to me, with the ball off the putter face as a point of reference for distance on longer putts.

Third, approach and especially chips seemed better with the CT, over the X LS. Both in performance and feel. Had one 168 yd. "approach" shot uphill in elevation about 20 feet with a window from the rough to shoot through to the green, with a 15-17 mph RtL wind, and the window was right of the flag about 10 ft. Used a six iron from the rough. I have a high flight on my shot as a norm. This would normally put me off the green to the left easily in that wind. Ended up with a 7 ft. putt slightly uphill just 3 feet off line RtL. The CT is flat out amazing in the wind, even side to side.

Fourth, the chips with the CT sound and feel better than the X LS. The ball does seem to stop better/faster with the CT over the X LS, but with my skill level, it's not overly impressive. I am working on learning what I call the chunk chip (burying the head at impact to create more spin), but if my practice proves what I think it will be based on the follow through "flop", the CT will win out here as well.

Fifth, the X LS has a better "smash" sound off the Stealth 2 driver face than the CT. CT is not "bad" but the X LS sounded better off the face. Distance seemed about the same on well struck drives. This was a tie until further testing/comparison.

So, this was my working the way back from the tee comparison for the "old" X LS guys.

I picked up a couple sleeves of the Chrome Tour X for fun just to see what the difference might be. I was using the 2022 Chrome Soft after a long time away from golf and liking it, but HATING putting with it because of the mushy feel off the putter, and tried the X LS because a buddy gave me a sleeve and WOW, it (in a Michael Newton's accent) 'chcked all the buxes'.

So, might as well try the CT X, just in case during the transition to a new ball. We'll see.....
Welcome to the forum, btw.

Great first impressions write up!!

The '24 Chrome Soft is such a comfortable place for me. I played the '22 CSTT all last year, and the '24 version feels the same, with what seems like slightly better performance into and around the greens, and a little more stable ball flight. I've been swapping back and forth between the '22 and '24 models because I still have a couple dozen of the '22s to burn through, but it won't hurt my feelings at all when the '22s are gone. Not that they're bad, but the '24s are just that little bit better.

The first impressions and write up are awesome! The CTX performs very well and I honestly could game either the CT or the CTX.

The '24 Chrome Soft is such a comfortable place for me. I played the '22 CSTT all last year, and the '24 version feels the same, with what seems like slightly better performance into and around the greens, and a little more stable ball flight. I've been swapping back and forth between the '22 and '24 models because I still have a couple dozen of the '22s to burn through, but it won't hurt my feelings at all when the '22s are gone. Not that they're bad, but the '24s are just that little bit better.
I have both 22 and 24 versions of the CS lined up for this season. The 22s are left over from last season. I’m looking forward to the 24s because of what I have read here .

Nice write up. Welcome to the forum too.

Anyone seeing the Chrome Tour scuff easily?
I noticed some from wedge shots from bunkers and rolling up a dirt cart path.
Otherwise, I like the ball, althought the CS is probably the better fit for me.

Last edited:
Not really for me. Now a lot of tree sap? Yes, that sticks to the ball like glue :ROFLMAO: but not really any scuffs

I plan on playing this alongside the ProV1 Left Dash over the weekend.

For me, held up better than the 2023 Chrome Soft, which TBH i felt was one of the worst balls on the market for scuffing.

I've hit a ton of wedges with it, balls hold up comparable to others IMO

I think most balls are going to have a tough time hitting dirt or cart paths, so you just might have gotten some bad bounces off sharp edges etc

Chrome Tour goes into play tomorrow for the first time and I cannot wait based on feedback in here

A couple of the balls I got for testing (CT Triple Track) seemed to get beat up pretty easily, but I've had no complaints with the CT TruTrack durability wise, so I'm thinking the beat up ones were a bit of a fluke.

I alternated between the same two CS and CT balls for almost seven rounds without losing them. They were both a little beat up by then, but nothing that would make them unplayable. I thought durability was pretty good for being in play that long, and I don't keep my ball on the short grass all the time either. :LOL:

A couple of the balls I got for testing (CT Triple Track) seemed to get beat up pretty easily, but I've had no complaints with the CT TruTrack durability wise, so I'm thinking the beat up ones were a bit of a fluke.
That's sound like my experience. The first sleeve I got, 2 of the balls got nicked pretty fast, first one from a bunker shot and the other fro a low speed roll down a dirt path.
The others i've played have lasted a bit longer, but you can tell they've seen more than 18 holes.

Not for me. I have not seen anything that is different from a premium ball. It will show the wear and tear like any other.

Otherwise, I like the ball, although the CS is probably the better fit for me.
Nope. They seem very durable to me. Chrome Tour... love them!

Back