Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Interesting. I had one super windy afternoon but didn’t notice the Chrome Tour being better or worse than anything else I have played.
I've played both the Chrome Soft and Tour in windy conditions so far this year, they've both been good wind balls for me. But I also have realistic expectations, no ball is going to be completely unaffected when it starts blowing good.

Anyone seeing the Chrome Tour scuff easily?
I noticed some from wedge shots from bunkers and rolling up a dirt cart path.
Otherwise, I like the ball, althought the CS is probably the better fit for me.
Haven’t seen them scuff easily but the cover will scuff easier than CS. However, I’ve had no real issues with durability for the ball itself

I've played quite a few rounds in windy conditions. I have not seen any detrimental behavior from the CT gamer in windy conditions.

Interesting comments on wind. My experience is the CTx is similar to CSx but I thought it was a touch better into wind and overall more stable.

I’ve hit shots side by side into wind with both CT and CTx and though CT was slightly better.

The wind so far had not affected my golf balls. We can't get the ventilation turned up enough at the practice facility to simulate wind.

Regarding wind, I've seen a bit of holdup in head on but I don't think I've ever had a ball go in to a head on wind and not just fall out of the air. I can hit lower to work it through the air just fine, but if I take a full swing and it gets up there, nothing is cutting through that.

Now, on the side winds is where I've seen pretty amazing results. I did have one get away from me where the wind just took the ball, but almost every time, there hasn't been much side movement. Ball holds it's line like a champ and I don't have to do much in terms of changing my aim. I think that's where it's shining for me right now (CT). I don't expect much in headwinds when I know I have to play the shot differently or club up once or twice.

@Nerdy played the CT WWG Truvis at Briggs last weekend and it seemed like CT just hit a wall when it was hit in to the wind.
I commented to him that that was my observation and he said he was noticing the same thing.
His ball would go just so far and then just drop like it hit a wall.

Agreed. The CTX is one of the worst wind balls I’ve played in a long time. And the CT is not far behind.

I had the grandaddy CSX in play most of the weekend at Briggs without wind issue. Though the air was heavy.

Swapped between the WWG CT and GD CSX yesterday in slightly higher wind. And whatever I am doing to the ball, the CT is significantly worst in the wind.
That is the exact opposite of my experience with the Chrome Tour. I know everyone on the internet says they are high ball hitter, but I actually hit the ball high with plenty of spin. It's been plenty windy where I play over the winter and never had any issues with it into the wind. It holds its line really well. If it's super windy like what we saw at Harbor Town coming down the stretch no ball is going to be unaffected by the wind.

That is the exact opposite of my experience with the Chrome Tour. I know everyone on the internet says they are high ball hitter, but I actually hit the ball high with plenty of spin. It's been plenty windy where I play over the winter and never had any issues with it into the wind. It holds its line really well. If it's super windy like what we saw at Harbor Town coming down the stretch no ball is going to be unaffected by the wind.
I need to get it out here at home. It was only used for 18 holes and maybe 9 of them were after the wind kicked up some then we used our Zstar team ball the other rounds so I don’t have a ton of holes to base it on. I’m sure the Zstar would have been the same in to the headwind I was just surprised to come up so short when I felt I struck the ball well. Could be flukey. I’m getting out this weekend at a course I’m familiar with so it will be a good test on how the ball performs for me vs a course and conditions down in TX that I’ve never played in

135-150 feet peak height for a 7i for reference

I need to get it out here at home. It was only used for 18 holes and maybe 9 of them were after the wind kicked up some then we used our Zstar team ball the other rounds so I don’t have a ton of holes to base it on. I’m sure the Zstar would have been the same in to the headwind I was just surprised to come up so short when I felt I struck the ball well. Could be flukey. I’m getting out this weekend at a course I’m familiar with so it will be a good test on how the ball performs for me vs a course and conditions down in TX that I’ve never played in
It's definitely worth not giving up on it because I've been impressed with how it handles windy conditions. If I don't feel good about how a ball plays in the wind, I won't play it. Texas should provide the wind to test it in.

I’ve had them out at least 6 times starting with the testing phase hitting them next to other balls for the same shots. It is weird how strong and divergent the experiences have been though.

Still waiting for the weather to dry up so that courses can firm up without having to worry about losing balls plugged in the fairway, but I am leaning towards the CT as the first ball to try

We are going away for a few days next month playing a couple links courses so I might pick some up before we leave as those courses should be firmer

Its been a while since I've played last and was able to sneak out Sunday afternoon and get 9 holes in.... With the weather warming up a bit I'm hopeful that I can get a bit more cadence with playing but man the Chrome Tour ball continues to impress both off the tee and around the greens... Just need some swings to get a bit of consistency in strikes but man can I tell how reactive this ball is when I find the center of the club! Played a local muni back 9 and 13 was definitely where I started to find a bit of a groove... Par 4 plays about 380 with a dogleg left and a large willow tree protecting the left side about 240 out, cut the corner a little too much and easily carried the tree's right side. Tee ball ended up in the fairway about 100 out. 3/4 swing on a 54* into the green a literally a one hop and stop shot... ball checked nicely and probably was about 6' from its pitch mark and 15' from the hole. I didn't make the putt but great feel for the ball and how it reacts... can't wait to get out again this Saturday for 18!

Its been a while since I've played last and was able to sneak out Sunday afternoon and get 9 holes in.... With the weather warming up a bit I'm hopeful that I can get a bit more cadence with playing but man the Chrome Tour ball continues to impress both off the tee and around the greens... Just need some swings to get a bit of consistency in strikes but man can I tell how reactive this ball is when I find the center of the club! Played a local muni back 9 and 13 was definitely where I started to find a bit of a groove... Par 4 plays about 380 with a dogleg left and a large willow tree protecting the left side about 240 out, cut the corner a little too much and easily carried the tree's right side. Tee ball ended up in the fairway about 100 out. 3/4 swing on a 54* into the green a literally a one hop and stop shot... ball checked nicely and probably was about 6' from its pitch mark and 15' from the hole. I didn't make the putt but great feel for the ball and how it reacts... can't wait to get out again this Saturday for 18!
Love to hear this - was it colder out? I live in a warmer climate so I’m curious how it performs and feels when the temp drops

Love to hear this - was it colder out? I live in a warmer climate so I’m curious how it performs and feels when the temp drops
I played in SF Bay Area and temps were somewhat cooler, I’d say it was in low 60s when I started but maybe high 50s towards the end of nine so not too cold

I played in SF Bay Area and temps were somewhat cooler, I’d say it was in low 60s when I started but maybe high 50s towards the end of nine so not too cold
Nice! How did the ball compress and feel? Did it compare to your previous one well?

Nice! How did the ball compress and feel? Did it compare to your previous one well?
My previous ball was Srixon Q-Star Tour, Z-Star and Chrome Soft. Of those 3 I’d say the compression and feel is most similar to Z-Star which seems a bit more firm than Q-Star and CS without being harsh. I think as it gets warmer CT will be even better in terms of feel but I won’t know for sure until it freaking gets warmer…. I know it’s coming soon enough but CT seems to still check all the boxes even in moderate temps.

You can read my previous post with the 6 iron with a 15 mph RtL side wind and a window with a slight view of right of flag, from the rough with trees to shoot from and the angle would have normally put me off the green to the left, but the shot was only a yard offline short of the hole.

Played last Sunday with the CT, again. (X LS lover here). Par 3 into a 15 mph headwind at 117 to the flag. Partner and I have completely different ball flights, his low usually with a decent descent angle, and mine with a mid/high flight and drop and stop or back up slightly, however with no wind almost exact same distances. PW is a normal 125-130 max for me. He uses the Pro V1X. His shot into the wind was short of the pin by 3 yds with a 9 iron smooth swing, and mine was just above the pin by 2yds with a PW. By ball flight alone it should have been different, but the CT seemed to "ignore" most of the wind.

Liking the CT in this and other conditions per my previous post. Still comparing it to my X LS balls remaining that have not been placed in my shag tube for short game practice. Still prefer the X LS feel off the driver. Did pick up the CTX just to make sure the CT is my ball, but will be taking a month off (hopefully) after getting my knee cleaned out. Then it's game ON to verify the CT is the ball, with a mix in of the CTX (mainly because I do prefer the feel of the firmer ball off the driver face and have to give the CTX a test away from the approach because the CT nails that and the green with the putter face.

Last edited:
@Nerdy played the CT WWG Truvis at Briggs last weekend and it seemed like CT just hit a wall when it was hit in to the wind.
I commented to him that that was my observation and he said he was noticing the same thing.
His ball would go just so far and then just drop like it hit a wall.
Funny you mention this. I was catching up on the last few pages before posting some on course observations. One of them was about an 8 iron into a stiff breeze CT vs. CTX.

Hit CTX good but not flushed and it flew nice and finished front edge. Then hit a CT and it was just pure. First thought was, that's center of the green. Ball hit the proverbial wall and finished 5 yards short of the CTX.

Glad I went with 4 dozen CTX after my extensive ball testing. It was flawless in the wind.

Got the Chrome Tour out again last night for league night. I’m becoming more and more impressed with this ball each time I play it. Our greens are nearly healed from spring punch and I feel like I’ve gained about 5 yards or so a club with this one. I’m not sure if it’s the ball or if it’s the warmer weather but even basing of last summer’s numbers I would play to I’m seeing irons go further at the moment.

More to come as I continue to work through this dozen.

Put the Chrome Tour in play yesterday and had another good round with it. It was windy and no issues navigating the wind. A few shots stand out. The first is a tee shot with my Apex UW 19* from an elevated tee playing into the wind. It's probably the most difficult tee shot on our course with water on the right and lateral hazard on the left. I like to be more aggressive and hit further into the landing area so I can have the option of going for the green in two. That landing area narrows so you have to be accurate. I hit it well and the ball held its line and landed exactly where I needed it. Had the expected distance loss playing into the wind, but it played exactly how I planned it and hoped it would. No surprises or ballooning.

Two others that stand out are shots with my SW from the fairway from about 100 out. Both were playing into the wind and the SW is a comfortable 110 to 115 club for me. I was playing the 100 shot at that distance and both times the ball did what I needed, which is to fly the distance I was expecting. Both shots ended up a few feet from the hole. Our greens are pretty firm right now so seeing the ball stop where it landed and not spin back or roll forward what exactly what I wanted.

The consistency in performance with every club from the bag with this ball has been impressive. I am not getting unexpected distances from my irons and the Chrome Tour is a big part of that.

Were you responding to me?
No the copy and paste didn't work how I thought it would. Was trying to post that the USA Truvis balls are now available for the Chrome Tour line.

I looked around and didn't see anywhere that was selling the non-Triple Track Chrome Tour.

Back