What sports did/do you play?

Football a little, and softball. And some pickup hockey.

Football will always be the sport I wish I played. I was decent at it and it showed an interesting dichotomy with two local schools. One I attended (private) and one (public) I was enrolled in until I got an academic scholarship from the private school. I went from starter at the public school to third string if I finished tryouts at the private. I love telling the story in person.
Timing is everything sometimes. I got cut from the basketball team my senior year because I was the third-string center - one of the guys ahead of me was all-league, the other was all-state. Coach said I would've been a starter any other year, but it wasn't fair to keep me on the team because with those two guys in front of me I'd ride the bench all year. I ran track & field that year instead.

I played football and basketball in HS, football in college. At some point in life, I played hockey, soccer, and baseball. Honestly, I was a pretty good athlete. Not a very good baseball player.

I golf and ski these days, still play a lot of basketball. Pretty disciplined with my fitness and whatnot as well.

I played basketball well into my 40's before turning my ankle so badly that I never played again. Man, I miss playing hoop!

I'll play golf forever (God willing), but I would like to start playing tennis and pickleball (paddleball if I move to Spain), just for a more vigorous activity.

Baseball all through little league to high school
Football in middle school, too little at the time to play in high school
Basketball through high school

Rode bulls for awhile in middle 20s until a well placed horn shot to the face ended that for me

Slow pitch softball came next, got lucky and was on some teams that won some big tourneys, including a world

Then came my twins turn at comp baseball and me coaching that. They graduated last year and now all I have is my love for golf, just need to get more motivated to practice because so far the 3-4 times I have played this year have been brutal

Swimming in high school. My new office is near a pool that has a Masters program so I’ve been kicking around getting back into it.

I played basketball well into my 40's before turning my ankle so badly that I never played again. Man, I miss playing hoop!

I'll play golf forever (God willing), but I would like to start playing tennis and pickleball (paddleball if I move to Spain), just for a more vigorous activity.

I tried to play basketball into my adult years but it got too frustrating with how competitive guys got. It was the same thing with flag football.

I got tackled on a breakaway once in a summer league that played without refs (call your own fouls). We were up like 10 and the guy was like "gotta keep it close bro".....i was like "we're adults with jobs you moron"

Flag was the same, i think 50% of the games ended in brawls. Usually because some 30yr old caught a ball and did a TD dance in front of the DB. It's like "Yes nice grab there Megatron---YOU ARE AN ACCOUNTANT JUST STOP!"

Bah, adult sports leagues.

I tried to play basketball into my adult years but it got too frustrating with how competitive guys got. It was the same thing with flag football.

I got tackled on a breakaway once in a summer league that played without refs (call your own fouls). We were up like 10 and the guy was like "gotta keep it close bro".....i was like "we're adults with jobs you moron"

Flag was the same, i think 50% of the games ended in brawls. Usually because some 30yr old caught a ball and did a TD dance in front of the DB. It's like "Yes nice grab there Megatron---YOU ARE AN ACCOUNTANT JUST STOP!"

Bah, adult sports leagues.
Same here - I used to post up and play down low in the paint, hitting the boards hard for rebounds. That lead to a lot of twisted ankles, so I started becoming more of an outside shooter and only cutting/driving to get inside. On that last play, I elevated for a 3-pointer and some guy comes sprinting out toward me. He had no chance to block my shot and never even tried. Instead, he ran right up underneath me and I landed on his feet, really messing my ankle up bad.

Back playing over 30's 6 a side indoor soccer, at almost 45 I'm now starting to get up to some speed 🤣

I played a little bit of everything growing up but soccer and golf thru high school. Had a rocket for a right leg and left leg no bueno. After college played in a men’s softball league for a bit. Now just really golf and will play around a little other sports with the kids.

Gymnastics in high school. I sure as heck don’t do it now. I dont even get on the floor with my grandson without a plan on how to get back up.

Played a lot of sports, but my main two are hockey and golf now. Still kayak, cross country ski, and snowboard.

Not so much anymore: baseball, bowling, skijour, soccer, badminton, flag football, broom ball…

Golf since I could walk. Football and basketball through high school. Pond hockey from middle school through high school and now the occasional intramural/beer league hockey once a week as time allows

I went to high school in the 60's - before Title IX. There were no girl's sports teams except for track and field at my high school.
I did play recreation league tennis and volleyball.
Now it's just golf.

The ones I really was obsess with was hockey when I was young
tennis and golf came latter
I like hockey cause it felt liked full workout with all the gear and skating but I was not strong/skill enough to play pro after university
After hockey , started to play tennis and golf but what I found really difficult was the all the stoppage between plays
It hard for me to get my mind into golf more cause there is so much time between shots
At least in tennis it is more continuous
I find that I liking other sports currently that are more popular that wasnt when I was little - soccer and mix martial arts

Baseball - played since a kid through high school. After high school, I played softball for several more years.

Football - played one year as a kid and a second year in eighth grade.

Basketball - played one year in seventh grade.

Soccer - played 2 years in our community league.

The only competitive golf I've played would be league and I guess the few scrambles I've played could count since there were technically winners. But I don't play it for the competition unless you count playing against myself or the course.

Tennis - was always for fun with friends.

Last edited:
On a Team- Basketball
Otherwise- Baseball, Bowling, Tennis, Swimming, Jogging.
Only one my Back allows me to play now is Golf.
If Weights is included... Workouts 6 to 7 day a week. Just 3 a week now.

Sports were basically my life growing up. Cant remember a year where I didnt play sports year round.

Soccer: age 5 - 9
Wrestling: ages 7-8
Football: ages 10-14 (played through freshman year)
Basketball: age 5 - 18 (up and through high school)
Golf: 15-18 (on High school team, and recreationally as a kid).
Baseball: 5-21 (up and through college).

Currently, I'm on a rec soccer team, play occasionally on a rec basketball team, and still golf.

When I was in elementary school I played baseball but I sucked at it so I bailed to focus more on soccer and music. It was always hard for me with impaired depth perception.

Soccer I played on travel teams up through middle school, but it fell back to recreational only in HS and college and they I pretty much dropped it. I was decent but never great.

Tennis I played varsity through high school (singles and doubles) with a solid record, but only intramural in college and occasional tournaments. Since college I've just played recreationally, and it's fallen off recently as some of my regular tennis partners lost interest. Would like to play more though.

Golf I've played exclusively recreationally since about 5th or 6th grade but it's gotten to be my primary sport by time spent now. Plan to continue just playing recreationally and trying to improve.

Skiing I learned when I was in middle school, went a few times a year through high school, fell off it until the end of college, then I moved to SLC, UT for work and it took off for me. I've been pretty consistently a 15+ day a year skier since then, with it being more like 25-30+ when I lived out west.

Otherwise, I've always tried to keep up with overall fitness but I've gotten much more purposeful about strength training and running in the last 4 or 5 years.

I played baseball up until 16 and curveballs retired me. I played basketball, softball and tennis intramurals in college and law school. In my 30s and 40s, I played rec league softball. After back-to-back season-ending injuries when I was 42 and 43, I said enough is enough. I've been playing golf since I was 27-28.

My high school didn't have boys golf (just girls golf) so I didn't play golf. I played football until I wiped out my knee and the Dr. forbid me from playing
more football. I did come back in my senior year as just a kicker though. I loved baseball but didn't go out for the team because I was on the tennis team.
I also played a lot of softball (both while in high school and after). I played both fast pitch and slow pitch. For 2 years I was on 4 teams and had a game
almost every night and on the weekends. I was so busy that I didn't even have the time to chase girls for one of those summers. I also loved basketball and
while I could outshoot all but one team member I didn't go out for basketball. Our team didn't have much height and had to depend mostly on speed,
which I had a distinct lack of.

I played baseball in Florida into college at a fairly high level. I coach my 7yo son’s tram now and might think about playing softball at some point.

From age 7-15 it was baseball and basketball.
Took up golf at 14 and played a couple years on the HS team.
Bowled throughout HS and did pretty well.
Was big into hunting and fishing in my 20's and early 30's.
Now at 43, it's pretty much just golf. Although, starting to mix in a little tennis with the kids and would like to try pickleball.

High school was track, badminton, volleyball, and basketball.
Trap Shooting from 12 - 18 yrs old.
Golf since childhood, off and on.

Back