The 60 and over Thread

@SC Putter WOW!!!
Couldn’t be happier with my round today. 43 on the front (a few silly mistakes on the front, but hey… haven’t played in a few weeks), but a 38 on the back for an 81.
The Stealth woods and hybrids seem like a better combo for me than anything I’ve played for years. I had two makeable Eagle putts, one on a short par 4, and the other on a par 5 where I nuked (at least for me) a 7W 183 yards hole high. I missed them both, but made the birds.
The course was playing really firm, so for once my misses were long rather than short, but not long enough where I had to use a wedge. Those conditions are a bit of a nightmare with the E722’s though, as they just ran out like crazy. They might have actually cost me a couple strokes?
I’m hoping when the Mizuno’s I ordered get here they play like they did the two times I demoed them… a hair shorter, but higher launch and better stopping power. If f they do, I’m a better wedge game away from som seriously low scoring.
Damn, it’s good to be playing golf again. This was only my 7th round since Thanksgiving, but I’m ready to get back to 3-4 days a week now that my back and family issues are in the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
I'm playing my first round since November this coming Wednesday. Of course, the greens will have been aerated on this coming Monday.
Low expectations and swing freely. You got this @Sean

WITB: Thoughts on my bag and gaps?
Will be 70 in September and back playing after an 18 year hiatus. Here’s my current club setup in my bag with lofts n ( ), and would welcome comments:

Driver, 225-240 (10.5)
5 wood 200-215 (adjusted strong, 16)
7 wood 175-190 (20.5)
5 hybrid (25)
7 hybrid 160-170 (30)
7 iron 145-155 (30)
8 iron 135-145 (34)
9 iron 125-135 (38)
P wedge 100-115 (43)
G wedge 80-95 (50)
S wedge 65-75 (56)
L wedge 45-55 (60)

Just took the 3 wood out and adjusted the 5 wood stronger.
The 7 hybrid is a new addition but early results look like it will play ~10 yards longer than my 7 iron. I listed the 5H to maybe plug the gap between the 7 wood and 7H. Does this setup make sense? Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m looking at your yardages at the top of your bag and the first thing that comes to mind is I hate you. 😜
The second thing is, if your gapping is good throughout your bag, what possible issue could there be?

Last edited:
Interesting turn of events. Went to Carl's. I was innocently walking around when I was accosted by the G425 Hybrids on sale. They forced me to keep the family together, and a 5 and 3 hybrid came home with me. At the price, I dont feel bad swapping them out with the 9 & 7 woods on wind days. Forecast changed, going to be gusts well over 20 tomorrow....... new Hybrids will get a trial by fire. We need the fire, We had snow flakes this morning, also in the Forecast but the wind was coming off L Huron, and it makes its own damn weather........

BTW, I fired the Callaway Paradym 27* Hybrid. Just too inconsistent on slight mishits or off of crap lies. I have seen multiple instances where I was 1/2" off dead center and came up 10 yards short. The G 425 is much, much, more consistent. Kind of makes me feel like Callaway missed the mark with the Paradym hybrid when a generation older Ping performs better. In Callaways defense, pured it may be a bit longer than the Ping, but I sure miss by 1/2" often enough to make that forgiveness the priority.
Other than their Apex iron line and their marketing, there is nothing Callaway is doing lately that I’m impressed with.

Last edited:
@SC Putter WOW!!!
Couldn’t be happier with my round today. 43 on the front (hey, Ia few silly mistakes, but hey… haven’t played in a few weeks), but a 38 on the back for an 81.
The Stealth woods and hybrids seem like a better combo for me than anything I’ve played for years. I had two makeable Eagle putts, one on a short par 4, and the other on a par 5 where I nuked (at least for me) a 7W 183 yards hole high. I missed them both, but made the birds.
The course was playing really firm, so for once my misses were long, rather than short, but not long enough where I had to use a wedge. Those conditions are a bit of a nightmare with the E722’s though, as they just ran out like crazy. They might have actually cost me a couple strokes?
I’m hoping when the Mizuno’s I ordered get here they play like they did the two times I demoed them… a hair shorter, but higher launch and better stopping power. If f they do, I’m a better wedge game away from som seriously low scoring.
Damn, it’s good to be playing golf again. This was only my 7th round since Thanksgiving, but I’m ready to get back to 3-4 days a week now that my back and family issues are in the rear view mirror.
Great playing today. WOW is the right word. After a layoff of a few weeks and getting back to the course--well done. Looks your club moves are paying off and still new wedges on the way. 👊 :D

I'm playing my first round since November this coming Wednesday. Of course, the greens will have been aerated on this coming Monday.
Just swing easy and smooth, you will do fine.

I got out today for 9 holes. First time that I have played since November. First swings I had taken since a demo day in February.

With tournament coming up tomorrow I decided to play the whites @6150 This week. My group knows in the shortest fitter and are super encouraging to my diminutive game. They’ve noticed my increase this year with the new driver. yesterday, playing the whites I was having one of those (priest in caddy shack) rounds. My typical white tee rounds is mid to high 80s. 39/35 74 with three birdies. Drove it like a mad man averaging a huge 220. On the 18th my buddy says to me, I want to see 230 on this last drive!!! I said OK and went after it. Straight down the middle and long high baby draw. 237!! They were all smiles when I got to my ball. This from guys that pump it 260-300. Very cool.

That's one of the great things about this game. Yes, you'll run into the occasion a**hole, but most of us actually want to see our competitors or partners play well. One of the guys we play with fairly often hits the ball a country mile! So much so that my buddy and I, we're both 71, have trouble following his ball flight. And I had my cataracts done a little over a year ago and my distance vision is back to 20/20. Yet, he would compliment me on my Driving. One thing I am is very consistent, and can put the ball in the short grass.

Haha thanks but I’ll make a mess of a good drive with a big number of duffed chips every round! It’s always something .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well..... just put the bag together for todays round. 35F at tee time, 46 by the time we are putting out on 18. Probably facing a frost delay to our 0756 tee time. W Winds 14 gusting to 22. It felt really weird doing so but I pulled my security blanket 13.5* TM Burner mini out of the bag for the first time this year. G430 will have to be a good dog or I might put it up for adoption. (Just kidding). One par 5 will be playing into the wind, I cant reach that sucker any more anyhow, 530 uphill, its not happening even without a headwind.. 2 will be playing downwind, and are both ones I can usually reach anyhow if my driver is cooperating. One will be playing in a R to L wind, which is not a good direction for me these days. I may end up playing from under the trees for my layup to cross the pond. LOL
I am leaving the SS Lob at home because two of the par 3's ought to be a perfect 6I given the wind, and the most $$$$ is to be had on closest to the pins, and I dont want to leave it to a day old hybrid to get the cash.
Game is at my old CC that is now public. I figure to walk off with enough money to pay for my recent acquisitions.
The best laid plans of mice and men.

Its your injury, Yardage will come back after your Brain realizes you're better. I've been dealing with 2 Herniated Disc with one torn since late 22'. Took a 6 month break and started playing a few Holes. Unable to practice, found the long Clubs were drastically short. Between pain and Brain telling me to stand up to save Back sucked. I'm up to 13-15 Holes now and am hitting Driver a little further now at 230-240.
Keep at it, your distance will come back... Promise.

It's back... mostly... no pain. Shot scatter is something else. I'm coming a bit OTT right now, but when I get the tempo right I don't. I hit a few solid drives. But my back kind of got tired toward the end of the small bucket. I'll have to work up to being able to hit a large bucket. When I'm there, I should be able to last 18 holes. Meanwhile, I can probably play 9. Riding. It's something.

It's back... mostly... no pain. Shot scatter is something else. I'm coming a bit OTT right now, but when I get the tempo right I don't. I hit a few solid drives. But my back kind of got tired toward the end of the small bucket. I'll have to work up to being able to hit a large bucket. When I'm there, I should be able to last 18 holes. Meanwhile, I can probably play 9. Riding. It's something.
I find that for most of us in advanced years OTT is usually easily cured by strengthening the grip till the back arms elbow joint is facing straight out, like you are giving blood. From there it is almost impossible to have the chicken wind backswing that causes the OTT.... And it helps square up the club face for faders. You may have to weaken it a bit from there if you turn the ball over too much..

Each Back problem is so unique. For me if I Ride my Back stiffens up and pain sets in. Right now what seems to work is my Son will ride and I push Cart, and catch a ride on long Green to Teeing area. My Course is a long walk on most Holes. Walking from 9th to 10th takes 7 min up a steep hill.
You're lucky you can hit Range Balls, then Play.

WITB: Thoughts on my bag and gaps?
Will be 70 in September and back playing after an 18 year hiatus. Here’s my current club setup in my bag with lofts n ( ), and would welcome comments:

Driver, 225-240 (10.5)
5 wood 200-215 (adjusted strong, 16)
7 wood 175-190 (20.5)
5 hybrid (25)
7 hybrid 160-170 (30)
7 iron 145-155 (30)
8 iron 135-145 (34)
9 iron 125-135 (38)
P wedge 100-115 (43)
G wedge 80-95 (50)
S wedge 65-75 (56)
L wedge 45-55 (60)

Just took the 3 wood out and adjusted the 5 wood stronger.
The 7 hybrid is a new addition but early results look like it will play ~10 yards longer than my 7 iron. I listed the 5H to maybe plug the gap between the 7 wood and 7H. Does this setup make sense? Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those are great distance numbers and loft gaps. I assume those are the clubs you bought after returning to golf at age 69?
What course lengths are you playing? Driver 225 to 240 yds is plenty for most "member" tees. No "senior" tees needed for you!

Well..... It was a good round. After the first hole I started hitting the ball squarely for a while, but # 1 was a very crooked number...... like a quad. LOL Best part was, on this par 71 course, I took all 5 closest to the pins. 3 outright, 2 on carryovers. Won enough to buy a new driver and a new hybrid if I were so inclined. But I drove well. Irons were very, very good. Wedges not great but didn't kill me. 2nd place in score even with the crooked start. but 2nd doesn't pay with only an 8 man field. Yes, it was windy enough that nobody hit 2 greens on longer par 3's. I was on the fringe at the back of one 186 that I hit the 26* hybrid on, but I overdid keeping it low out of the wind and it hit and refused to stop. Ended up taking it in a carryover anyhow.

Dont know why I have this wild hair up my backside wanting to get new irons. These ones fit me. Never perfectly, but they are good on good back days as well as bad back days.

Last edited:
I'm finally getting my distances dialed in. Been working on a repeatable swing. The loss of distance isn't so bad once I know what each club can do. My 150 yard club used to be the 7 iron a few years ago. Now its a hybrid. The 7 is now my 130 yard club. Once I felt I have the distances figured out it made it better on the course. I miss my share of greens but starting to get better with the distance.

One thing I know is how my brain works. Someone gives me a tip on the swing, and it could be good advice, but it doesn't always register for me. Like comparing the downswing to skimming rocks on a pond. Its a similar motion but it never worked for me. What works for me is the feeling of throwing my club at the target on the follow through. It ends up similar to the skimming rocks on a pond. But my brain understands throwing it at the target better. I'm more consistent with that approach.

Or moving the ball more towards the front foot to avoid hitting too fat. You would think moving it back further makes more sense since that is where the club is hitting. But that makes it worse. My brain compensates better with the ball closer to the front foot. Understanding what works and how my brain interprets things is a key for my swing.

All that came together nicely yesterday. It was a beautiful 80 degree day with a slight breeze. I played from the senior tees at 5900 yards. Ended up with a personal best 85. 8 greens in regulation is easily the best I've done in a long time. Even made a rare birdie on the first hole. I was minus one on those 8 holes. Coulda been better if I didn't find water on the final hole and ended with a triple bogey.

I'm finally getting my distances dialed in. Been working on a repeatable swing. The loss of distance isn't so bad once I know what each club can do. My 150 yard club used to be the 7 iron a few years ago. Now its a hybrid. The 7 is now my 130 yard club. Once I felt I have the distances figured out it made it better on the course. I miss my share of greens but starting to get better with the distance.

One thing I know is how my brain works. Someone gives me a tip on the swing, and it could be good advice, but it doesn't always register for me. Like comparing the downswing to skimming rocks on a pond. Its a similar motion but it never worked for me. What works for me is the feeling of throwing my club at the target on the follow through. It ends up similar to the skimming rocks on a pond. But my brain understands throwing it at the target better. I'm more consistent with that approach.

Or moving the ball more towards the front foot to avoid hitting too fat. You would think moving it back further makes more sense since that is where the club is hitting. But that makes it worse. My brain compensates better with the ball closer to the front foot. Understanding what works and how my brain interprets things is a key for my swing.

All that came together nicely yesterday. It was a beautiful 80 degree day with a slight breeze. I played from the senior tees at 5900 yards. Ended up with a personal best 85. 8 greens in regulation is easily the best I've done in a long time. Even made a rare birdie on the first hole. I was minus one on those 8 holes. Coulda been better if I didn't find water on the final hole and ended with a triple bogey.
As long as I don't slide back on my Backswing I never hit it Phat. Now let me go and Knock on Wood.

51/50 100 (33.9 diff).

Rough round today but oddly enough, I was fine with it. I'd been keeping AI Smoke driver in play since changing shafts - until today. Contact was all over the face... skied a couple but most of the misses were pulls. There wasn't any part of my game that was very good today. I made a couple long putts, had some nice lag putts and short approach shots from under 100 yards, but nothing to write home about. I was just off.
I worked both yesterday and this morning helping put together a giant banner that will wrap a building in Detroit for the upcoming NFL draft. It's a bit more physically demanding than my normal desk job. It's nice as far as getting some exercise, but I think my body was just fatigued from that and the lack of sleep.

51/50 100 (33.9 diff).

Rough round today but oddly enough, I was fine with it. I'd been keeping AI Smoke driver in play since changing shafts - until today. Contact was all over the face... skied a couple but most of the misses were pulls. There wasn't any part of my game that was very good today. I made a couple long putts, had some nice lag putts and short approach shots from under 100 yards, but nothing to write home about. I was just off.
I worked both yesterday and this morning helping put together a giant banner that will wrap a building in Detroit for the upcoming NFL draft. It's a bit more physically demanding than my normal desk job. It's nice as far as getting some exercise, but I think my body was just fatigued from that and the lack of sleep.
Yea, inside 100. Haven't seen alot of that since I'm not long/accurate enough on 2nd shot on Par 5s. I do miss the feeling of a half Swing and watching the Ball role to Pin... Oh well.

Getting out for the second time this year tomorrow. Tee time is shortly after Noon which is fine by me. I've never cared to be a dew sweeper or a frost cruncher, which just might be the case early tomorrow. When I got the call, I almost begged off thinking the damned grass might need cut again! I took a look and was amazed that it didn't! This cutting grass every 3 or 4 days is crap for the birds, but it's the same every Spring.

I think I figured out something I was doing wrong the last time we played by remembering something that I had figured out late last season. I hope the course is a little dryer than the last time we played. I don't care to be a mud slogger either.

Those are great distance numbers and loft gaps. I assume those are the clubs you bought after returning to golf at age 69?
What course lengths are you playing? Driver 225 to 240 yds is plenty for most "member" tees. No "senior" tees needed for you!
Yes, I bought the clubs after coming back to the game. When I quit playing in 2003 I had two crazy events. Made an ace at the country club I played at back then. Took a trip with a bunch of friends to England to watch the open and play. Totally wore myself out in playing 6 rounds in eight days and came home and didn’t play again for 18 years. When I quit I couldn’t tell the difference between a good swing and a bad swing and an 85 felt the same as a 105. NOW, I’m more patient and more analytical and having more fun. My regular golf partner is a very short hitter so we play the gold tees. That means if I hit a good drive I’ll have a short edge to the green. What I need to do is use less club off the tee and work on longer approach shots. In addition I can’t chip to save my life!!

What a busy weekend. Flew down to Gallatin TN for formation practice for a mass arrival into Oshkosh this summer. Then, over to Crossville to spend the night at the TN house, up in to morning to play 18 with the wife at Lake Tansi, then back to the plane to fly back to Dayton. 7.5 hours of flying and 18 holes of golf in one weekend. Time for sleep since I gotta get up and play another round tomorrow.

Well..... It was a good round. After the first hole I started hitting the ball squarely for a while, but # 1 was a very crooked number...... like a quad. LOL Best part was, on this par 71 course, I took all 5 closest to the pins. 3 outright, 2 on carryovers. Won enough to buy a new driver and a new hybrid if I were so inclined. But I drove well. Irons were very, very good. Wedges not great but didn't kill me. 2nd place in score even with the crooked start. but 2nd doesn't pay with only an 8 man field. Yes, it was windy enough that nobody hit 2 greens on longer par 3's. I was on the fringe at the back of one 186 that I hit the 26* hybrid on, but I overdid keeping it low out of the wind and it hit and refused to stop. Ended up taking it in a carryover anyhow.

Dont know why I have this wild hair up my backside wanting to get new irons. These ones fit me. Never perfectly, but they are good on good back days as well as bad back days.
For you guys with back issues: It occurred to me why on a cold, windy, very bad back day I was hitting the ball so solidly. After the first hole I was swinging the club on the 2nd tee trying to keep warm and loosen up more and realized my left arm was breaking down. That happens on bad back days as a misguided, unconscious attempt to lengthen the addled back swing. I concentrated on a good setup and keeping the left arm dead straight throughout the swing. It may feel like a short and weak swing, but puring every strike on the sweet spot gives you all the distance you are going to get that day. And you are as accurate as can be. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves of our most basic first lessons and forget the rest of the noise.

Back