The 60 and over Thread

ALMOST... got in 18 yesterday with my Son. 1st time since early 23'. 17th felt sore so hit my trusty (shorter than Driver) U85 3 Iron within 95. Simple 54 Wedge and hooked it oh boy. 18 no Driver but hammered UW 17deg but noticed I spun out again on finish. Sooo close to finishing 18. 😞
Par 3 135 into stiff Wind, Choke down partial 8 Iron. My God that felt good.

Still, Son and I had a great time.20240416_141515.jpg

...and yea, gotta remember when hitting partials tendency is to pull the shot. Oh well.

Any seniors stop keeping score? At this age, it's about enjoying the walk for me with company or getting out as a single. Now, when I chunk one on a chip, I just hit another and don't think about it. In my younger years, a bad chip would ruin my day. I still want to play well. But, I no longer worry about the score. I also like to drive 1-2 hours to play different courses. Funny how priorities change when you hit our age.

Any seniors stop keeping score? At this age, it's about enjoying the walk for me with company or getting out as a single. Now, when I chunk one on a chip, I just hit another and don't think about it. In my younger years, a bad chip would ruin my day. I still want to play well. But, I no longer worry about the score. I also like to drive 1-2 hours to play different courses. Funny how priorities change when you hit this age.
ME. When I got back into Golf I was terrible, that was NOT my prior MO. I would get angry when I couldn't make shots I used to. Decided no more Scoring, and it freed me up.
I keep track now and one day I'll work on a Handicap, but not yet.

Any seniors stop keeping score? At this age, it's about enjoying the walk for me with company or getting out as a single. Now, when I chunk one on a chip, I just hit another and don't think about it. In my younger years, a bad chip would ruin my day. I still want to play well. But, I no longer worry about the score. I also like to drive 1-2 hours to play different courses. Funny how priorities change when you hit our age.
We still keep score, but none of my normal group gets in a twist over it. I did shoot a personal best late last year, so I was glad I was keeping track. We also like to venture out for out of the way tracks. We have dozens of really fun courses within an hour’s drive, so it takes something special for us to go much further out than that.

$
Any seniors stop keeping score? …
Not yet. I keep score, play tournaments and maintain a handicap. I don’t particularly like practicing and walking a course and hitting a ball without keeping score is too much like practice for me. Being on the course, however, is infinitely better than a range. I spend a lot of time in the off season just walking local courses. So I understand why you and others might just hit and not worry about a total score.

Having hit the 60 mark, I decided to lose a few pounds and ramp up the fitness. So far I'm down about 10 pounds from the holiday season eating fiasco. My goal is to lose 5 more pounds which will put me at a lean fighting weight that I haven't seen for many years. I don't know if any of this will translate to golf, but I feel good.

I try to post most rounds for handicap purposes.

I stopped keeping score about 3 years ago, golf is enjoyable without scorecards.

Good luck, remember. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
Thanks. I didn’t play great. Hit some nice shots and some miserable ones. But my opponent helped me out and won 2&1. 😎

Hi All,

New to this thread, but good to be with other 60 plus golfers. I’m in the UK, play to single figures, and try to get out twice a week with friends. We’ve had a really wet spring here; I reckon we’ve lost 6 to 8 weeks proper golf because of wet and waterlogged holes. At last it’s starting to dry out. I’ve been trying a Ping G425 max I’ve recently bought, replacing an old Ping i15. Very different clubs, as you’d expect. Could do with some dry fairways to make some comparisons between the two!
Welcome, and you’re going to love the G425 Max!

I’m the opposite of not keeping score. Every time I play it’s either league, money game or comp. Not to mention I have so many side bets going, I need to sit with about 5-6 guys for about an hour afterward to figure out how much I won or lost.
I’m a bit of a degenerate. 🙄

I am still able to play for score and I appreciate that. One of courses I play at has family tees that make the course playable for short hitters. Right there I think is a key. We aren’t tour players bombing it 300 yards anymore. Truth is more than likely none of us did. I found as I got older and we went from persimmon and balata, graphite shafts, metal heads, better balls, technology marching on. In high school in the early 70s I hit the ball about 220 yards. In my mid 20s I got a bit longer, then with the Professional 90s and a graphite shaft driver with a metal head I got it out to 250-260. I had a 1 iron I could hit 230-240. I took time off and started playing again when I was 50. Ball improvements, Ti drivers and I hit farther than ever. Well that was 20 years ago and, while technology has marched on, Father Time has started to have his way with me again. I took 12 years off until last year. Last year I hit it about 210. This year I hit it about 220; however, that’s a matter of getting back into better shape. Eventually, that won’t be enough, it I think I can slow it down.

I hit 59.5 rounds for the year today. I walk nearly everyday I play which is nearly everyday. 4 fairways, 9 GIR, 30 putts 39-41 80. Windy as heck. Tomorrow should be a lot better, I hope.

Hi All,

New to this thread, but good to be with other 60 plus golfers. I’m in the UK, play to single figures, and try to get out twice a week with friends. We’ve had a really wet spring here; I reckon we’ve lost 6 to 8 weeks proper golf because of wet and waterlogged holes. At last it’s starting to dry out. I’ve been trying a Ping G425 max I’ve recently bought, replacing an old Ping i15. Very different clubs, as you’d expect. Could do with some dry fairways to make some comparisons between the two!
Welcome from the UK... for some dryer weather...

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Sometimes we score sometimes we don't... Just depends how I feel. Am going to try one competitive round a month to maintain my handicap.

I want to cut it in half but still enjoy playing

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Any seniors stop keeping score?
Not me. I have a HI to see how my game is progressing, or not, and I play in a few tournaments a year and need a HI. The only time I don't keep score is if I'm working on mechanics out on the course as opposed to the driving range.

ps: I also make up my own scorecard. For example, depending on the hole(s) I will add a stroke, so my personal par for a course might be 80.

Not me. I have a HI to see how my game is progressing, or not, and I play in a few tournaments a year and need a HI. The only time I don't keep score is if I'm working on mechanics out on the course as opposed to the driving range.
I post scores to keep an index because the people I play with on the weekends like to have a match. I also need an index to enter events at my club.

I keep score and track index on 90% of my rounds but will stop on really bad blow up rounds because that prevents me from getting frustrated. It’s not legit because most are solo rounds anyway. And I’m not bragging much about an over 20 index. Lol.
Like others, it’s just a way to see if I’m doing a little better from year to year.

I usually keep score on solo rounds but am too busy socializing to keep score when playing with others.

It takes a lot of work to play fast, talk, and keep aware of the other players on the course to make sure we are playing at an appropriate pace.

ME. When I got back into Golf I was terrible, that was NOT my prior MO. I would get angry when I couldn't make shots I used to. Decided no more Scoring, and it freed me up.
I keep track now and one day I'll work on a Handicap, but not yet.
Hey, we all find our own way in this crazy game!

I didn't for a while, and enjoyed it. then, was looking to get a handicap and kept score for a bunch, but, never got around to doing the paperwork for the cap. Now, since my desire to play is really diminished since a few months ago, I'm not going to keep score again. Might play from the forward tees as well. Who knows? Lately, to be frank, it's been total ambivalence about playing at all. Probably just a phase that will pass when there is more sunshine.

Took one closest to on a 9 hole league last night. Not big bucks like some other leauges but 150.00 net

Having hit the 60 mark, I decided to lose a few pounds and ramp up the fitness. So far I'm down about 10 pounds from the holiday season eating fiasco. My goal is to lose 5 more pounds which will put me at a lean fighting weight that I haven't seen for many years. I don't know if any of this will translate to golf, but I feel good.
Congrats on the -10 and good luck with the other 5! I’ve been through multiple ortho surgeries and have learned that stretching every day and staying relatively fit are big contributors. Even light lifting and resistance band work helped me regain distance that I had lost to shoulder surgery.

Back