The 60 and over Thread

What a busy weekend. Flew down to Gallatin TN for formation practice for a mass arrival into Oshkosh this summer. Then, over to Crossville to spend the night at the TN house, up in to morning to play 18 with the wife at Lake Tansi, then back to the plane to fly back to Dayton. 7.5 hours of flying and 18 holes of golf in one weekend. Time for sleep since I gotta get up and play another round tomorrow.
Oh my aching Back.

For you guys with back issues: It occurred to me why on a cold, windy, very bad back day I was hitting the ball so solidly. After the first hole I was swinging the club on the 2nd tee trying to keep warm and loosen up more and realized my left arm was breaking down. That happens on bad back days as a misguided, unconscious attempt to lengthen the addled back swing. I concentrated on a good setup and keeping the left arm dead straight throughout the swing. It may feel like a short and weak swing, but puring every strike on the sweet spot gives you all the distance you are going to get that day. And you are as accurate as can be. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves of our most basic first lessons and forget the rest of the noise.
This is why my Leading Arm barely gets past parallel to the ground on my back Swing, Too much pain trying to recreate my old Swing (found a Vid from the 90s). I am stretching those Muscles and Back using a rope and Cable Machine but it's slow and painful.

I got out for my first round of the season on Saturday. A 9 hole round. My thoughts this year are going to be every time I get out to play will be a good day.

What a busy weekend. Flew down to Gallatin TN for formation practice for a mass arrival into Oshkosh this summer. Then, over to Crossville to spend the night at the TN house, up in to morning to play 18 with the wife at Lake Tansi, then back to the plane to fly back to Dayton. 7.5 hours of flying and 18 holes of golf in one weekend. Time for sleep since I gotta get up and play another round tomorrow.
I have family in TN. Spent a few days in Crossville at Fairfield Glade a few years back. Great golf courses.

Getting out Tuesday, hope to keep the good swing going and make good contact. I just have to remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Otherwise I will be swing too hard and my game goes bad fast.

I have family in TN. Spent a few days in Crossville at Fairfield Glade a few years back. Great golf courses.
Played the area a couple times with the B100 group. some great courses there, indeed.

After yesterday, I have to accept that my game is gone, my swing is in tatters, and I am not happy playing anymore. So, I think this season will be nothing but trying to build a swing. I'm sure, it will all come together just as winter hits.

Getting out Tuesday, hope to keep the good swing going and make good contact. I just have to remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Otherwise I will be swing too hard and my game goes bad fast.
When I try to swing hard it goes no farther than a "slow" smooth swing!
After yesterday, I have to accept that my game is gone, my swing is in tatters, and I am not happy playing anymore. So, I think this season will be nothing but trying to build a swing. I'm sure, it will all come together just as winter hits.
In my four season Connecticut climate I've figured out that I can use Spring gardening season to work on my swing instead of heading out to wet soggy golf course.
It helps immensely to give the plants an early start before the bugs and weeds arrive in full force!

This is why my Leading Arm barely gets past parallel to the ground on my back Swing, Too much pain trying to recreate my old Swing (found a Vid from the 90s). I am stretching those Muscles and Back using a rope and Cable Machine but it's slow and painful.
As I understand it modern golf swing methodology advocates for a big muscle, body centric golf swing, with the arms, hands, and club going a long for the ride. However, by the time we become older we have lost quite a bit of mobility. That said, I wonder if a body centric swing does more harm than good for the senior golfer. Would a hands and arms swing be the pathway to better golf for a senior, offering more distance and less stress on the body?

As I understand it modern golf swing methodology advocates for a big muscle, body centric golf swing, with the arms, hands, and club going a long for the ride. However, by the time we become older we have lost quite a bit of mobility. That said, I wonder if a body centric swing does more harm than good for the senior golfer. Would a hands and arms swing be the pathway to better golf for a senior, offering more distance and less stress on the body?
I don't know if you ever watch the "Golf Mates" channel on YT, but the resident senior, Old Man Pat, has a swing that looks pretty much all arms and seems to work well for his 83 years-old body. Swings totally loose and smooth. While he doesn't hit it very far, it's always in the fairway, and he compensates for the distance by using a lot of club for each shot.

At this point I use all my Muscles including my Mouth.

I don't know if you ever watch the "Golf Mates" channel on YT, but the resident senior, Old Man Pat, has a swing that looks pretty much all arms and seems to work well for his 83 years-old body. Swings totally loose and smooth. While he doesn't hit it very far, it's always in the fairway, and he compensates for the distance by using a lot of club for each shot.
Thanks Hamfist, I will have to check that out.

Thanks Hamfist, I will have to check that out.
I second the recommendation to check out Golf Mates and OMP in particular. It's a group of Brits who appear to have the times of their lives playing together. Old Man Pat is the old guy of the group who was a single digit capper when he was younger and now probably a 12 or 13. He clearly knows his game and plays it without apology, is nearly always in the fairway hits the ball straight and is a terrific chipper and putter.

With the temps in the mid 40s at tee time this morning, I got off to a rough start with bogeys on the first three, a scramble par on 4, and another bogey on 5. Things then settled down a bit, but it was only the last two holes where I hit both drives and approaches with any authority. The challenge is remembering what I did those last two holes!

Played the muni today. Had a pretty decent round going, but I gave away a few shots I’d like to have over. Two bladed LWs really messed up the round. That and a few other stupid shots. Highlights were 4 birds including a chip in to an impossible pin on the 9th. Lows point were a double on 6 (see bladed LW), a misfire on 16 with a GW that I hit 4” behind he ball and then bladed another LW. 8 fairways, 11 GIR, 29 putts 37-37 74

I hit into the net for about an hour yesterday - first swings since injuring my shoulder in a skiing mishap 2 months ago. I was sore and could feel that “tug” in my triceps and just knew I’d really be hurting today. Well call me Gomer Pyle - surprise, surprise, surprise - my arm/shoulder felt great today! I hit into the net most of the day with no ill effects. Ready for my first round of the year tomorrow!

I’m playing in our Members league tomorrow, 1028 tee time on the same course I played so well on Saturday when it was bone dry and playing really fast. It was crazy how far balls were bouncing and rolling out.
It rained from Saturday afternoon until late last night so even though it was mostly sunny today all 4 courses were CPO.
It will be interesting to see how it plays tomorrow.

I hit into the net for about an hour yesterday - first swings since injuring my shoulder in a skiing mishap 2 months ago. I was sore and could feel that “tug” in my triceps and just knew I’d really be hurting today. Well call me Gomer Pyle - surprise, surprise, surprise - my arm/shoulder felt great today! I hit into the net most of the day with no ill effects. Ready for my first round of the year tomorrow!
Getting that Blood working thru the Muscles.

I’m playing in our Members league tomorrow, 1028 tee time on the same course I played so well on Saturday when it was bone dry and playing really fast. It was crazy how far balls were bouncing and rolling out.
It rained from Saturday afternoon until late last night so even though it was mostly sunny today all 4 courses were CPO.
It will be interesting to see how it plays tomorrow.
Looonnnngggg.

Up in my neck of the woods, we are in mud golf season, lol.
I dont get it, Sunday the fairways were so wet I was finding my ball half embedded, or right next to its pitch mark. Meanwhile I hit a some greens with mile high short irons, watched the ball settle very quickly, and never found a pitch mark to repair.

I dont get it, Sunday the fairways were so wet I was finding my ball half embedded, or right next to its pitch mark. Meanwhile I hit a some greens with mile high short irons, watched the ball settle very quickly, and never found a pitch mark to repair.
Early Season Aeration and Sanding?

The fairways of my home course get so wet that half of it is visibly under water.
Which means a free drop from an abnormal course condition!

As a gardener I keep track of the rainfall on my calendar,though I can just look outside and see if there is ponding in the back yard!

Instead of playing on soggy fairways I've been working on a new driver swing and fixing up the yard. Got out the drop spreader and put down some fertilizer!

Last edited:
Back