The 60 and over Thread

The fairways of my home course get so wet that half of it is visibly under water.
Which means a free drop from an abnormal course condition!

As a gardener I keep track of the rainfall on my calendar,though I can just look outside and see if there is ponding in the back yard!

Instead of playing on soggy fairways I've been working on a new driver swing and fixing up the yard. Got out drop spreader and put down some fertilizer!
It's hard to Walk a soggy Course.

Got my first nine in, last night. Managed a 47 and no body parts sore or torn. Walked with another walk on. Nice fellow about my age. He was also playing 30 year old ping irons. Had something to start talking about

League cancelled due to weather. I have been on a tear, don't want to lose my MOJO. going to the Sim tonight to keep this good form going. After a typical slow start. The ball has been doing exactly what I wanted the past few rounds. Every strike sounds so darn good!

League cancelled due to weather. I have been on a tear, don't want to lose my MOJO. going to the Sim tonight to keep this good form going. After a typical slow start. The ball has been doing exactly what I wanted the past few rounds. Every strike sounds so darn good!
How would you describe that sound?

How would you describe that sound?
A "click" with a firm, high spin ball. A "Splat!" With a softer ball like a chrome Soft.

Played 9 this morning, some good and some bad. Boogie golf, no blowup holes. Par on the last hole, for a good finish. Hit some good drives and some terrible ones, ball was rolling like crazy. Course is bone dry, rain forecast Thursday thru Sunday. We need it bad.

For you guys with back issues: It occurred to me why on a cold, windy, very bad back day I was hitting the ball so solidly. After the first hole I was swinging the club on the 2nd tee trying to keep warm and loosen up more and realized my left arm was breaking down. That happens on bad back days as a misguided, unconscious attempt to lengthen the addled back swing. I concentrated on a good setup and keeping the left arm dead straight throughout the swing. It may feel like a short and weak swing, but puring every strike on the sweet spot gives you all the distance you are going to get that day. And you are as accurate as can be. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves of our most basic first lessons and forget the rest of the noise.
Yeah, I had a tendency to make the kind of adjustments an instructor would not recommend when my back is aching. It works ok for a while but not sustainable. The past few months I'm getting back to basics. Neutral grip. Feet spread to shoulder width with the iron stance. Left arm straighter. Trail elbow tucked closer to the body on the downswing. It was a little erratic at first. But I'm sticking with it. Seems to be getting better with the consistency. Last round shots were shorter but much straighter. Like I said earlier, if I know it will be straight with consistency on the distance, I can live with that. I just use a longer club than I used to for each distance.

Played good and bad today. 2 triples and 1 double kind of killed the round. Greens were sped up a bunch from when I played last Friday and today was stupid windy with some pins on slopes with the wind coming down the slope. No way to stop a putt from above the hole. One hole placement on 11 was a bit unfair. From 8’ I tapped the ball sideways and it went 15’ past and off the green. The comeback got to 3’ stopped and rolled off the green again. A 4 putt. I was not the only one. 9 fairways ( that is excellent at the club), 7 GIR, 34 putts 42-40 82. 5 up & downs for par on the day, don’t get above the hole and have a downhill, downwind putt.

Last edited:
Agree totally. That's the sound of a well struck iron.
I think it’s more like a “thwup” sound. That hard crack usually means thin.

You're dating yourself, lol.
Ha - I thought I was doing that just by posting in this thread.

I played fairly well today. Shot an 86 and my bad shots were topped woods and misjudged wedges from short distances. But my irons were on, which would normally be the shakiest part of my game during my first round in 4 months. Played a new set of Cleveland Halos and absolutely loved them!

I can't conceive of a bone dry course this time of year, lol.
We are in a drought, west of us it's a severe drought.

I can't conceive of a bone dry course this time of year, lol.
Any time of the year here it seems. We had wet conditions most of last year.

Just the opposite here. We've had a lot of rain since last summer. Perhaps we can swap weather conditions for a bit?
Yes we need rain bad, hope next few days should help.

Any time of the year here it seems. We had wet conditions most of last year.
Yes, all the ponds at my home course are at peak, and during the winter a few severely over flowed. They had to bring in pumps to lower the water levels.

I'm 66 years old, and playing to a 12.8 handicap. I'm currently playing white tees, but I know there are quite a few courses where I should move up a tee. Any course over 6200 is a long haul for me now. I'd love it if this thread becomes a place for others like me to get together and talk golf.
It gets very tiring reading on golf forums about guys hitting 270 yard 3 woods and 160 yard nine irons. Don't even get me started with their driving distances. I realize most of it is nothing more than "internet golfers" looking to impress people they don't know. That stuff doesn't do a thing for me, and even when true, it is nothing I can relate to.
I'm guessing most of you who are 60 and older feel the same way, and have checked that part of your ego at the door years ago. I'm hoping you would like a place where you can talk about your game amongst peers. You still play well, or aspire to, and want to keep improving and talk to others like yourself about your round.
I also think most of you would like a thread where you can talk to players you can relate to about equipment you are using and or looking for, without someone telling you about their 14* 130 gram X-flex steel shafted driving iron they hit 260 on "short" par fours.
Have you tried a 5 hybrid? Play a 7 wood? What's your bag set up? Wondering about a certain shaft? Maybe you're thinking about changing shaft flex? Do you play in leagues with others, if so how did you do this week?
These are the type of things we can talk about.
Hope some of you other gents feel the same way... feel free to talk about whatever interests you.
Hello 60 and 70 and older short game lovers! I have “coached up” younger guys by asking them to place a ball three steps off a green and play for dimes getting down in 2! I win a lot! Hitting the low wedge is more fun than the 200 yard 3 wood in two( lots of roll..!) learning to curve 7 irons!
Front tees are fabulous to me!

Not a good day for scoring. 38/44/82 [6,222 yards, 70.3/125]. It never got much above 50 degrees, with a little rain and a wind in the 15-18 mph range. I think the hills (25 stories worth according to my iPhone app) take a bit out of my legs on the last nine.

I have a friend who used to be an instructor at the local range. He still goes to the range every week. He's been helping me get my swing back to the basics. But dang, because I've been doing it wrong for so long, my muscles are stretched to that movement. Doing it the right way sure made my hips sore. I'm aching after today's session. But I can see how much it will improve things the more I do it. The ball was very straight and I'm hitting it flush more often. Distance wasn't any better but I wasn't swinging as hard. Hopefully once my muscles adapt to that movement I can swing harder for more distance.

I got stuck in traffic today due to a fatal accident on a state highway, so I had to catch up with the group on the 3rd. Played in from there +4 which was pretty good I think. The greens are still stupid fast and firm. Having to recalibrate to the speed of the greens and the breaks. I did shoot 37 on the back starting with 3 bogeys then birdying 13, 15 & 18. Stats don’t really mean anything in this case, so, not included. Taking tomorrow off to work on some needed piloting currency.

Back