The 60 and over Thread

Lately, to be frank, it's been total ambivalence about playing at all. Probably just a phase that will pass when there is more sunshine.
I’m just the opposite, but probably because I’m sidelined with an injury. It’s driving me nuts to miss out on our already short Spring season. Summer golf here can be a beating.

I have my first tee time of the year next week, but don’t know if I’ll be able to make it. Keeping positive thoughts, though!

Heading back on Sunday to my old CC that is now public. I like my odds taking the stew home. Tricky greens.

Such a very interesting day yesterday. Scored like crap, but hit some interesting shots. My stock 8 iron was 120 yards; however, I flew one 130 yards into the wind yesterday. I hit a 7 iron the equivalent of a 140 carry. I’m seeing some crazy distances with my irons lately. Putting and mental game are my big issues when my game is off a bit. Gotta admit I was burning the candle at both ends lately and I think that’s a factor. Every time I think it’s coming together it comes apart again and everything changes. Ugh!

I can and do quite regularly walk 5-10 miles a day on pavement doing infrastructure inspections/ repairs. But put me on uneven terrain for an extended walk any more and my back just screams at me.

I never bagged hybrids until this past winter. I have become convinced that the 4H is as versatile a club as I have ever had. From big high fades off the tee to little low slappy cuts and draws out of trouble, to screaming low draws under the wind to distant targets, it is a club that just suits me and the state of my game.
My 4H is likewise the most versatile club in my bag. I can hit it low/high left/right. I’m always amazed I can that with it and no other club in my bag. It is also the oldest club in my bag and every time I consider it’s time for a change like a 7W, it’ll come thru with an amazing results like saying “Not So Fast!!”

Hi All,

Got my third round in this week, playing a lot because me and the missus (an English term!) are off to Madeira on Monday for some early sun. Our course, in the UK, is starting to dry out after a really wet spring. Some good shots today, some not so good - that’s golf for you. Am breaking in a new driver, a G425 max, after a Ping i15 that’s been my favourite driver for about 14 years! Surprised to find the newer Ping is very much a club for getting the ball in the air; my old one was very much about lower height, and driving the ball forward. Once I’m able to get some run on our fairways, I’ll be able to compare the two properly. As for keeping score, I try to keep an eclectic card going, to compare different month’s golf. Bit of an unequal test though, I realise, when the weather here has such an impact on scoring!

Good golfing to you all this weekend!

With tournament coming up tomorrow I decided to play the whites @6150 This week. My group knows in the shortest fitter and are super encouraging to my diminutive game. They’ve noticed my increase this year with the new driver. yesterday, playing the whites I was having one of those (priest in caddy shack) rounds. My typical white tee rounds is mid to high 80s. 39/35 74 with three birdies. Drove it like a mad man averaging a huge 220. On the 18th my buddy says to me, I want to see 230 on this last drive!!! I said OK and went after it. Straight down the middle and long high baby draw. 237!! They were all smiles when I got to my ball. This from guys that pump it 260-300. Very cool.

Today our group at the club moved up to the front tees, which play 5113 yards. Just a little shorter than the 5900 yards I usually play there. Some of the guys moved up from the 6300 yard tees. It was an interesting experiment. For me, I shot a 75 that had a double that should have been a par and a late bogey that should have also been a par. This shorter than the tees I play at the muni, but it is more difficult as thee is more trouble, tougher rough, and few flat lies. What was interesting is the guys with inconsistent ball striking shot about the same scores as usual. Some of the guys who hit the ball more consistently definitely did better. Interesting. 8 fairways, 10 GIR, 32 putts, 38-37 75

I am 68 and high handicap. Thinking of XL Halo 9 wood or a SSFF Lob wedge. Thoughts? Have new SSFF chipper and old smart sole 50 and 58. Not sure if older CBX2 56 and 50 which I have would be better since mostly from fairway and more spin. 7 wood XL Halo is favourite club in my bag now.

I am 68 and high handicap. Thinking of XL Halo 9 wood or a SSFF Lob wedge. Thoughts? Have new SSFF chipper and old smart sole 50 and 58. Not sure if older CBX2 56 and 50 which I have would be better since mostly from fairway and more spin. 7 wood XL Halo is favourite club in my bag now.
9 wood.
Keep it simple and work on and with the CBX2 wedges. If you’re a high cap you have no need right now for a SSFF LW.

9 wood.
Keep it simple and work on and with the CBX2 wedges. If you’re a high cap you have no need right now for a SSFF LW.
I have both clubs. (My 9 wood is a Ping). As the greens firm up, they will both be indispensable. My 9 wood hasn't been out yet this year because its been so windy, but I even mentioned in a post yesterday that I will be bringing it Sunday in less wind. Grand Stranded is right, the SSFF Lob is very, very easy to hit, but not the stroke saver for a high handicapper that the incredibly versatile 9 wood can be, from chipping to launching over doglegs (or trees back to the fairway) to stop on a dime longer approaches, it can do so much for you. Although the SS lob is very, very easy to hit, I think the 9 wood would save most high cappers more strokes.
Unless your short game is already decent and you just want a weapon to simplify things from very close range because it eliminates high bounce open face shots. Square faced lobs are pretty cool. If your short game is slag, buying a specialty wedge isnt going to fix it. Stick with a 58* at most wedge.

I'm 68 and have a 9-wood, a 7-wood, and a HL 3-wood. I also carry three CBX2 wedges. I don't know about the SSFF, but I know I like my CBX2s. .

I'm 68 and have a 9-wood, a 7-wood, and a HL 3-wood. I also carry three CBX2 wedges. I don't know about the SSFF, but I know I like my CBX2s. .
I just went back to my CBX 2 full face and this time got the 115g DG instead of the 130g. I just couldn't get along with the super wide sole of the CBX 4.

For those of you who like the feel and spin of a rusted wedge, PING has lowered the price of the Glide 4.0 Raw from $195 to $127 (at Carls Golfland) it’s an either or though as this model obviously doesn’t have the Hydroplate finish which seems to be very popular.
BTW these are Tour Issue clubs, so the specs and QC are spot on.

I just went back to my CBX 2 full face and this time got the 115g DG instead of the 130g. I just couldn't get along with the super wide sole of the CBX 4.
Yeah, Cleveland seemed to jump the shark a bit with these after the CBX2.
I loved the original CBX’s, and the 2’s were good, but the Zipcore and 4 versions have gotten progressively worse IMO.
As soon as my Glides arrive, they’re going in my bag. I’m ditching my CBX Zipcore 54*, but will keep my RTX Zipcore 58-6 as a low bounce option

For those of you who like the feel and spin of a rusted wedge, PING has lowered the price of the Glide 4.0 Raw from $195 to $127 (at Carls Golfland) it’s an either or though as this model obviously doesn’t have the Hydroplate finish which seems to be very popular.
Thanks. I think....I was headed to Carls today as it was. I need more wedges like Imelda Marcos needs more shoes. I just cant help myself. I love working on the short game and experimenting.... I collect wedges like some people collect putters.

I have a 956 tee time and I’ve been awake since 545am. It’s my first round in about 3 weeks. Can’t believe how much I’m looking forward to playing…

I
I'M trying NOT to spend more money... you're not helping. 😉

I
I loved the original CBX’s, and the 2’s were good, but the Zipcore and 4 versions have gotten progressively worse IMO.
As soon as my Glides arrive, they’re going in my bag. I’m ditching my CBX Zipcore 54*, but will keep my RTX Zipcore 58-6 as a low bounce option
I thought it was just me not liking wide Soles on Wedges. Spent most of my Game with Zing Wedges which had small Soles and a LOT of relief on Back for open Face play. The Glide 2s just didn't work for me getting back into the game but luckily found the SM8 with 60 04 L Grind comes somewhat close.

The Glides are awesome wedges! Enjoy!

I am 71 and my favourite clubs are my 9 wood and 11 wood too

I have a 956 tee time and I’ve been awake since 545am. It’s my first round in about 3 weeks. Can’t believe how much I’m looking forward to playing…
I'm playing my first round since November this coming Wednesday. Of course, the greens will have been aerated on this coming Monday.

WITB: Thoughts on my bag and gaps?
Will be 70 in September and back playing after an 18 year hiatus. Here’s my current club setup in my bag with lofts n ( ), and would welcome comments:

Driver, 225-240 (10.5)
5 wood 200-215 (adjusted strong, 16)
7 wood 175-190 (20.5)
5 hybrid (25)
7 hybrid 160-170 (30)
7 iron 145-155 (30)
8 iron 135-145 (34)
9 iron 125-135 (38)
P wedge 100-115 (43)
G wedge 80-95 (50)
S wedge 65-75 (56)
L wedge 45-55 (60)

Just took the 3 wood out and adjusted the 5 wood stronger.
The 7 hybrid is a new addition but early results look like it will play ~10 yards longer than my 7 iron. I listed the 5H to maybe plug the gap between the 7 wood and 7H. Does this setup make sense? Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks good to me.

After reading through the comments about 9W and 7W, I remembered that I had those clubs at one point. Went up to the attic and found them - old Adams Ovation Tight Lies. I still game the Adams 3W and 5W, so these “new” clubs are going in the bag with my new Halo XLs. Also found my first driver…

1713633290526.jpeg

1713633318984.jpeg

Interesting turn of events. Went to Carl's. I was innocently walking around when I was accosted by the G425 Hybrids on sale. They forced me to keep the family together, and a 5 and 3 hybrid came home with me. At the price, I dont feel bad swapping them out with the 9 & 7 woods on wind days. Forecast changed, going to be gusts well over 20 tomorrow....... new Hybrids will get a trial by fire. We need the fire, We had snow flakes this morning, also in the Forecast but the wind was coming off L Huron, and it makes its own damn weather........

BTW, I fired the Callaway Paradym 27* Hybrid. Just too inconsistent on slight mishits or off of crap lies. I have seen multiple instances where I was 1/2" off dead center and came up 10 yards short. The G 425 is much, much, more consistent. Kind of makes me feel like Callaway missed the mark with the Paradym hybrid when a generation older Ping performs better. In Callaways defense, pured it may be a bit longer than the Ping, but I sure miss by 1/2" often enough to make that forgiveness the priority.

Last edited:
Back