Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I hit a few shots out to the water at our course today (rainy weather=no customers) with the 2.0 Burner 6 iron that I got as a test club. It is a senior flex graphite. It felt awesome! I left it at work to share with some of the customers out there. I'm not quite ready to replace my Ping irons but it is a really good hitting club.

Last edited:
I hit a few shots out to the water at our course today (rainy weather=no customers) with the 2.0 Burner 6 iron today that I got as a test club. It is a senior flex graphite. It felt awesome! I left it at work to share with some of the customers out there. I'm not quite ready to replace my Ping irons but it is a really good hitting club.

I keep thinking about going back to graphite and I like this club a lot. I did not get to try the senior flex graphite, but I did test the regular and it is a nice club. I am going to try and get to a TM demo day this summer.

If I got the 2.0 with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts what would that do to the current ballflight of these clubs? The stiff shaft that is currently in it is a high launch shaft...correct?

If I got the 2.0 with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts what would that do to the current ballflight of these clubs? The stiff shaft that is currently in it is a high launch shaft...correct?
Yeah they are a high launching set for sure. I would guess that an S300 shaft would give you a lower ball flight, I guess I don't really know for sure though. If you have the ability to get fit for these I'd highly recommend it, the shafts in them were designed to work each iron individually so this switch would likely alter everything about the 2.0s.

I play S300's in mine. Compared to the stock shafts my flight came down quite a bit. I didn't lose any feel at all just got a better flight for me. Fixing to likely go with KBS Tours soon though as the shaft optimizer says they fit me better and I love how much smoother they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play S300's in mine. Compared to the stock shafts my flight came down quite a bit. I didn't lose any feel at all just got a better flight for me. Fixing to likely go with KBS Tours soon though as the shaft optimizer says they fit me better and I love how much smoother they are.

I could also go KBS... I may just go to Golf Galaxy Wednesday and get fitted for the irons.

I could also go KBS... I may just go to Golf Galaxy Wednesday and get fitted for the irons.

Personally I think thatd be best. You better update us though!

Oh I will... What is going to be fun is when I do decide which clubs to get is the posting of pictures when the packages arrive.

Oh I will... What is going to be fun is when I do decide which clubs to get is the posting of pictures when the packages arrive.

Indeed, always a blast for me too!

I got the 2.0 bent 2* upright and am hitting it much better. My ballflight is
Much higher now than it was. I still don't have consistent accuracy with it though. For some reason I tend to have a strong fade with it.

My i15s fit me well and I am well pleased with them. Perhaps with a better shaft the burners could be for me.

Yeah they are a high launching set for sure. I would guess that an S300 shaft would give you a lower ball flight, I guess I don't really know for sure though. If you have the ability to get fit for these I'd highly recommend it, the shafts in them were designed to work each iron individually so this switch would likely alter everything about the 2.0s.

So when I got fitted for the CB's and 2.0's I wasn't a fan of the shafts in the 2.0. I know they all have their own kickpoint for each club but I just wasn't feeling them. The shaft felt too light for me and I'm not used to swinging an 85g shaft. I asked my fitter what would happen if I put a heavier shaft (ie. DG XP) on the 2.0's. He said he would not reccomend it because it might change the composition of the set. I think I asked earlier if anyone has them with a heavier shaft or if someone has hit them with a heavier shaft. I did enjoy the distance in the 2.0's though, ball flight was very nice too.

I ended up returning the 2.0's to Golfsmith and got some Mizuno JPX-800 Pro's. I just could not get use to the feel of the 2.0's. I love the new Mizuno's.

I was fit with the R300 shafts in my 2.0s. The fitter said it would lower my ball flight, but since I never had the clubs with the stock shafts, I can't compare. I really like the clubs.

I just got back from Golf Galaxy and the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer has me at headspeed 94, tempo 7, toe down 4, kick angle 5, release factor 5. This puts me in Dynamic Gold X100 130g, Project X 6.5 125g, or KBS X 130g.

I was kind of shocked with my results. I never imagined that I would be an X Flex guy... should I look into X Flex for my woods too then? My ball speed is 150-160

I was kind of shocked with my results. I never imagined that I would be an X Flex guy... should I look into X Flex for my woods too then? My ball speed is 150-160

I thought the same thing when I was fit for irons and they told me that I was a stiff flex when I swing a regular flex driver. They said just because I'm a regular flex driver doesn't always mean you are a regular iron and vice versa with the stiff flex.

Picked up a new set of R9 TP's to compare with my Burner 2.0's. Any compared the two?

No joke, I hit a set with the stock stiff and loved them. Hit this set with the DG's and love them. Contemplating going back to my KBS Tour's in these now and I'm sure I'd still love them. I love these dang irons.

Jman, what was your experience with the KBS's in the 2.0s? I've always liked the feel of the KBS and was thinking about getting them in a set of 2.0s if I order them. I liked the way the KBS's performend in a set of r9s I hit.

I hate this!! I keep going back and forth between the CBs and 2.0s. Earlier today I was def. getting the CBs because so many said do not get the 2.0s with different shafts. Now I've read about or had people tell me its ok about 4 times in the last 2 hours... CBs or 2.0s. DGs, KBS Tours, or Project Xs... which combo? It's killing me lol. My cousin told me I need to quit thinking about it so much and just get one. He said either way I will probably end up being just as happy as if I had gotten the other one.

Well if you get the CB's the KBS are a free upgrade. Either way they are all great shafts.

I think I would be happy with any of the shafts... I just don't know about putting a different shaft in the 2.0s.. If you look at the options on their website, you can get Project Xs and Dynamic Golds in these. I could also get KBS Tours.

I have a feeling that since they offer different shafts; and not just the stock shaft that was made specifically for each iron, that it is not a big deal if you put different shafts in them.

If it was, why would they offer the upgrade and risk ruining the dynamics of each club?

Last edited:
I couldn't help my self yesterday....there is still snow on the ground where I live and watching golf got me thinking about my new irons. I decided to take out the P wedge and a 8 iron for a couple shots in the back yard. I normally would shoot a 5-6 iron to hit my neighbour's house and thought I would be safe with the 8 iron...and I WAS WRONG!!! The ball flew off the face, flew super straight and hit my neighbour's roof!!!!WOW these clubs are long and dead straight! I then tried out the wedge and same thing.....graet ball flight, dead straight and some nice distance.....the sound of the clubs is sweet and feels like the ball comes off the face like a knife through butter.
I cant wait to take these clubs on an actual course....still have to wait a month.

I think I would be happy with any of the shafts... I just don't know about putting a different shaft in the 2.0s.. If you look at the options on their website, you can get Project Xs and Dynamic Golds in these. I could also get KBS Tours.

I have a feeling that since they offer different shafts; and not just the stock shaft that was made specifically for each iron, that it is not a big deal if you put different shafts in them.

If it was, why would they offer the upgrade and risk ruining the dynamics of each club?

I think they offer them because people will buy them. I do not like the stock shaft, but I don't know how adding a KBS or DG would affect them. Like I said before my fitter didn't recommend it. It makes sense because the stock shaft is light and was built for speed which (give the right swing) turns into distance.

just saw the KBS Tour with black coating... those would look amazing in the 2.0s!

WOW, I just had to go look at them. Black on black, that's pretty sweet!.

I couldn't help my self yesterday....there is still snow on the ground where I live and watching golf got me thinking about my new irons. I decided to take out the P wedge and a 8 iron for a couple shots in the back yard. I normally would shoot a 5-6 iron to hit my neighbour's house and thought I would be safe with the 8 iron...and I WAS WRONG!!! The ball flew off the face, flew super straight and hit my neighbour's roof!!!!WOW these clubs are long and dead straight! I then tried out the wedge and same thing.....graet ball flight, dead straight and some nice distance.....the sound of the clubs is sweet and feels like the ball comes off the face like a knife through butter.
I cant wait to take these clubs on an actual course....still have to wait a month.
Now that is funny right there! Yeah I'd recommend getting the distances ironed out before you fire any more off toward your neighbors house! These babies are long, no denying that.

Back