Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I got a fitting for the 2.0's today, but it was a regular fitting by a PGA teaching professional off a lie board and tape, along with instruction.

We compared the numbers from a number of different brands hitting each's 6i and narrowed it down to the Razor and Burner 2.0 after a set of lessons that had me swinging really well.

While the Razor was longer for me than the 2.0, accuracy and feel was just not there. My didtances with both just blew me away as my current 6i distance is 155 to 160, the Razor had me averaging 180 yards. The 2.0 had me about 5 yards under that, but I was striping these down the center every time with a slightly better launch angle and the feel off the face was a thing of beauty.

When they changed heads to 2 degrees flat and taped the face I hit four balls to check contact points and never once hit either outside edge of the tape, lol. Dead center.

Great irons to say the least.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I got a fitting for the 2.0's today, but it was a regular fitting by a PGA teaching professional off a lie board and tape, along with instruction.

We compared the numbers from a number of different brands hitting each's 6i and narrowed it down to the Razor and Burner 2.0 after a set of lessons that had me swinging really well.

While the Razor was longer for me than the 2.0, accuracy and feel was just not there. My didtances with both just blew me away as my current 6i distance is 155 to 160, the Razor had me averaging 180 yards. The 2.0 had me about 5 yards under that, but I was striping these down the center every time with a slightly better launch angle and the feel off the face was a thing of beauty.

When they changed heads to 2 degrees flat and taped the face I hit four balls to check contact points and never once hit either outside edge of the tape, lol. Dead center.

Great input about the fitting. What did your fitter say about the Razr v. 2.0 comparison. Did you get to hit the Razr with the correct lie angle. These will look beautiful next to your SF 2.0 fw!

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Loft on Burner 2.0 Irons

Loft on Burner 2.0 Irons

I'm in the early stages of very seriously considering switching out my beloved TM Rac OS2 Irons for the new Burner 2.0's; however, they have about two degrees less loft than my currents. I am a big fan of high, towering iron shots and am worried that these Irons wont produce. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Doug

Check out the search feature in the top right and type in burner 2.0 irons. There is a HUGE thread about them.

Having played the Rac OS irons and 2.0s, the 2.0s launch high, feel great, and are really long.

Going off memory the lofts are

PW- 45
9- 40
8-35
7- 31
6- 27
5- 24
4- 21
3-19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each shaft is different for each club head. For example, the 4-iron will have a lower kickpoint than the 9-iron. IMHO the ball launches easily.

Burner 2.0 = great launch and shot height. I wouldn't even let that be a concern when it comes to these irons.

I'm in the early stages of very seriously considering switching out my beloved TM Rac OS2 Irons for the new Burner 2.0's; however, they have about two degrees less loft than my currents. I am a big fan of high, towering iron shots and am worried that these Irons wont produce. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Doug

Merged with the 2.0 thread.

Captain FLTC BOOM!

I try dude, I really do.

I played golf with these irons yesterday. I finally feel like I'm 100% comfortable with them. Finally being able to get them adjusted was so necessary. It's pretty obvious that I was hitting 90% of everything out on the toe area. I know that they still aren't as upright as they should be for me, but they're certainly better than they were.

Captain FLTC BOOM!

I try dude, I really do.

I played golf with these irons yesterday. I finally feel like I'm 100% comfortable with them. Finally being able to get them adjusted was so necessary. It's pretty obvious that I was hitting 90% of everything out on the toe area. I know that they still aren't as upright as they should be for me, but they're certainly better than they were.

TC......I am dealing with the majority of my shots being closer to the toe, they're not bad enough to effect the shot much, but i'd like to get it corrected. I have tried to open my left hand a little bit, that seemed to make a bit of a difference, any other ideas?

===== QUOTE thedue ====

While the Razor was longer for me than the 2.0, accuracy and feel was just not there. My distances with both just blew me away as my current 6i distance is 155 to 160, the Razor had me averaging 180 yards. The 2.0 had me about 5 yards under that, but I was striping these down the center every time with a slightly better launch angle and the feel off the face was a thing of beauty.

===== /QUOTE ====

Great input about the fitting. What did your fitter say about the Razr v. 2.0 comparison. Did you get to hit the Razr with the correct lie angle. These will look beautiful next to your SF 2.0 fw!

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

The fitter thought I'd like the Razors better and wanted me to compare them to what ever else I had in mind. He was a bit surprised by the numbers I put up and how centered all my shots were with the 2.0 before fitting.

TC......I am dealing with the majority of my shots being closer to the toe, they're not bad enough to effect the shot much, but i'd like to get it corrected. I have tried to open my left hand a little bit, that seemed to make a bit of a difference, any other ideas?

Take them to your local golf shop and hit them off the lie board. I dare say you need to have them altered a bit. These irons are tougher than nails to bend. Unfortunately for me, when we checked the standard lies, 4/6 of my irons were actually flatter than standard, which isn't good for me. We were able to bend them about a degree upright, so my PW, 8iron, 7iron and 6iron are now at standard lie, and my 9iron is 1* upright. I'd like to have them all at 2* upright but they just can't bend that much.

The fitter thought I'd like the Razors better and wanted me to compare them to what ever else I had in mind. He was a bit surprised by the numbers I put up and how centered all my shots were with the 2.0 before fitting.

SOunds like you had a good experience duey! Would you mind sharing more of your thoughts on the RAZR's in the RAZR thread? I'm also pretty curious to know if you're thinking about going with one of these two sets this year.

Sure, I'll post some info there as I get a chance. I have a sweet little 4 month old in grumpas lap right now.

Thanks,
Doug

Check out the search feature in the top right and type in burner 2.0 irons. There is a HUGE thread about them.

Having played the Rac OS irons and 2.0s, the 2.0s launch high, feel great, and are really long.

Going off memory the lofts are

PW- 45
9- 40
8-35
7- 31
6- 27
5- 24
4- 21
3-19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, what shafts do you play in the Rac OS irons?

I had graphite in the ones I played and they launch just a few more feet higher than the 2.0's but not a whole lot of difference. But I also went from the graphite to steel shafts in the 2.0's. I dont think you will have a problem at all like TC mentioned in being able to get the ball up. Im guessing they will be about 8-13 yards longer (maybe more) than those rac's just because of the loft difference and how the ball just jumps off the face.

Thanks for the info, I play the stock steel shafts(dynamic golds) in a stiff flex. I know I'll definitly gain yards, I just hope its not a much lower ball flight than what I'm used to.

Thanks for the info, I play the stock steel shafts(dynamic golds) in a stiff flex. I know I'll definitly gain yards, I just hope its not a much lower ball flight than what I'm used to.

No way the stock stiff shafts in the 2.0's launch lower than your DG's. I'd be really surprised if they did. You'll see a higher flight and more carry with the 2.0's.

No way the stock stiff shafts in the 2.0's launch lower than your DG's. I'd be really surprised if they did. You'll see a higher flight and more carry with the 2.0's.

Exactly what TC said. I will be very surprised if you see a lower ball flight. The shafts in the 2.0s are lighter than the DG's which helps the ball flight to go higher. I think the only way you will see a lower ball flight is if you went with heavier shafts and an xstiff flex. I promise you these things are HIGH and LONG. If the ball flight was any higher you might start loosing distance, plus you dont want a super high flight because it will kill you on windy days. I find the flight to be just about perfect to be honest. High enough to land softly on greens but still has a penetrating flight to hold in wind. Try them out before you buy so you can be sure they fit you and what you like.

Hey right on! Yeah, my next step is to just try them & see, just wanted to be armed with information before doing so. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

I finally got a chance to put the 2.0's against the highly touted CB's (they just shipped to my local golf house) on the turf. I had a 6I and PW of each set. Despite all the love the CB's were getting on their thread, I really thought the 2.0's were going to be the club for me - consensus seems to be the 2.0's are more forgiving, although by a slim margin, and that's a factor for me.
Let me set the situation - it was my first time out, hitting balls in the open air, off turf, into a 20 mph headwind, when the temperature, factoring in the wind, felt like 29*, so I didn't hit many pure shots and the feel was nothing like what I expect when the season is here, but, all things being equal, I was able to compare the two and come to some conclusions.
My routine was this; I hit 10 balls with the 2.0 PW and then 10 with the CB PW, switched to the 2.0 6 iron and hit 10 with it and then 10 with the CB 6 iron. I continued this routine for the entire bucket - I hit at least 50 balls with each club.
One caveat, (in addition to the weather) I've been fitted twice recently and I need a stiff shaft, extra 1" in shaft length and 4* upright lie. The clubs I was hitting were 'off the shelf' demos, R shafts. What I was really comparing was forgiveness and feel.

Observations
* 2.0 shaft length is a little bit longer
* Top line and face length were about the same
* Offset was about the same - 2.0's have a slightly bigger offset
* 2.0 lofts are 2* stronger than the CB's - not realy a factor to me as I hit my current 40* 8 iron 150 yds (2.0 8 iron is 35*)
* 2.0's are noticebly heavier when swinging them - D3.5 to D3.2
* I felt mishits between the two sets felt about the same and distance loss between the two was minimal in my situation
* Good hits with the 2.0 didn't feel as pure as the CB
* Turf interaction, which was a HUGE concern for me, felt the same

Conclusion: To my surprise, the CB's are what I'm going to buy. Many of CB testers mention great 'feel' and I thought it was new (free) club commentary - they got new toys and the CB's were better than what they had so they had great 'feel'. I'm going to pay top dollar, and probably more for the CB's than the 2.0's, but that's what I'm going with based on my experience.

It will probalby be too late by the time I get the CB's and have a follow up opinion, based on my needed specs and weather (Darn NH!) but I'll followup when then anyway.

Other considerations: Cleveland CG16 - loved them at first but their top line was a little bigger than what I liked and the feel was too washy - I really couldn't tell whether I hit a beat or hit it pretty good. Distance gain/loss on those "beat's" were about the same as the CB's and 2.0's.
Mizie JP800's - top line, again, to me, looked too big. Offset didn't cut it and feel wasn't there
Wilson DI11 - getting a lot of press lately. From my eye - UGLY! My feeling, if you don't like the look, you can't hit it.

Extra:
I've been looking for a new set of irons for over a year (yeah can suffer from over analysis paralysis - ((Aside to highlight that - I've been trying to decide between a high powered point and shoot camera and a DSLR for over a year - still haven't made that purchase))) and I'm taking the plunge with confidence the CB's are for me, again, much to my surprise.

Thanks for eveyone's input. It's been very valuable in contributing to my decision. THP has become my 'go to' site for equipment opinions. My funds are limited and a purchase like this is budget impacting but one I think I can recoup in years to come - I think my buddies will ultimately contribute to this set.:wink:

Wow! Good information swirb and good luck to you with your new sticks. Personally, I think you made a great decision and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with them.

Does anyone play the 2.0's with the heavier Dynamic Gold Superlight shaft. I hit the stock shaft 85 g yesterday and it was way to light for my swing speed. Just curious as to what the ball flight might be with the DG's???

Does anyone play the 2.0's with the heavier Dynamic Gold Superlight shaft. I hit the stock shaft 85 g yesterday and it was way to light for my swing speed. Just curious as to what the ball flight might be with the DG's???

I have a fast swing speed and the stock stiff shafts aren't too light for me. In fact, the stock stiff shafts are pretty phenomenal in that somehow, they provide me with the least amount of spin, yet they offer an optimal shot height and by far the best carry distance.

I have a fast swing speed and the stock stiff shafts aren't too light for me. In fact, the stock stiff shafts are pretty phenomenal in that somehow, they provide me with the least amount of spin, yet they offer an optimal shot height and by far the best carry distance.

Hmmmm...interesting. Because I was hitting some slices with the stock stiff shaft yesterday. I switched to a heavier shaft (mind you in was with the CB's) and this problem went away. I guess I am going to have to go and hit the 2.0s with a heavier shaft. TC, what is your swing speed with a 6-7 iron?

Hmmmm...interesting. Because I was hitting some slices with the stock stiff shaft yesterday. I switched to a heavier shaft (mind you in was with the CB's) and this problem went away. I guess I am going to have to go and hit the 2.0s with a heavier shaft. TC, what is your swing speed with a 6-7 iron?

My s.s. avg with the 2.0 6 iron was around 91 mph.

Back