Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

Thanks for that, Flooder.

I'm sure it would be interesting to have two new clubs that I could take a full swing at and land short-of or up-to 100yards. I actually have no idea how far I am likely to hit either, and as I don't currently have a SW it'll be interesting to see how far I can hit it. What is typical? I'll actually be pleased if it's noticably short and therefore justifies the AW!

However, I can't help but think that slight adjustments must always be made by every golfer. If PW=125, AW=100, SW=75, anything in between those figures must be adjusted for. And is there not something to be said for knowing one club inside out, for various length pitches, rather than frequently having to deicide between two clubs? Also, I'm sure it'll be some time before my full swings with wedges would become uniform in distance, or accurate in direction, whereas a partial swing would probably sooner be under more control. Like I've said elsewhere, my assumption is that current thinking is: always land as close to the flag, rather than use ground to bounce and run in. I can see it negates unlucky bounces. But as I said in my last post, an 80yard pitch with my PW dropped and stopped pretty dead. So despite its 45* angle being useless for chips and anything under, say, 50yards, the angle works with sufficient stopping at longer than this.

But I can see that angles of climb, for clearing trees, and stopping distances on shorter pitches will be aided by a ranges of wedges.

And as for what clubs are redundant in players' bags (and to specifically refocus upon the 2.0 irons again)... I am amazed that anyone carries fairway woods anymore. I'm currently playing just the 2.0 irons, and can (when on form) easily reach the greens of my local course in regulation. Perhaps it's not the longest course, or that in fact there's better strategy in playing irons off the tee or fairway. I'm not saying this just because I'm not playing woods at the moment, I'm struggling to see many opportunities where I'd need one. This is partly because of the very healthy distances I'm achieving with the irons, even as a re-newbie. But my point about fairway woods was going to be... if hybrids are easier to hit than woods or long irons (and I'd guess, in the right hands, play longer than equivalent long irons, even if those can be hit), where is the room left for fairways anymore? Are they on their way out altogether?

Ah! And here's a brilliant question (even if I do say so myself!)...
Does anyone know if Taylormade apply serial numbers to individually sold irons? I really hope they do, so I can verify they're genuine!

Bobby, mine just arrived last night with all 4 wedges. I haven't had a chance to play them yet, but I agree that the gap wedge is likely the most important one for me of the bunch. I want some solid gaps that are reasonably uniform and the distances these things travel means it would be like going without my old PW. The lob may be the one I regret, but I believe they will all add value over the long run and perhaps help to get me out of the idea that it is better to swing out of my shoes to force the SW there when another club (GW) would be a better choice with a solid swing. How often is the green fronted by a pond and you are between clubs? I have one like that at my club and there is a bank topped by the cart path behind and whenever I have a between yardage I have to go for the longer wedge and then often because I am trying to smooth it, I nuke it up on top of the bank or in it!

The individual irons have an engraved "33" on the hosel, but I did not see a serial number.

I snuck out of work and hit a bucket at the range....WOW! Every club felt like an old (much younger(who hit it way farther))friend and they were perfect for trajectory and feel through the turf. The Lob wedge is fabulous. From full shots to little flops around the green, it performed just like I expected it to on every swing. As we all know, this breeds confidence and that breeds even better swings.

While all of the irons seemed smooth and solid on virtually every shot, I hit 4 or 5 that felt different and absolutely rocketed off the face. This is the only storm cloud on the horizon and is so just because I cannot hit that sweet spot more often. Hopefully this will cause me to focus that much more on getting the middle of the face more often or I can see a couple of balls a round flying the green off of a nice smooth swing.

So far I am very happy!

Dan

The serial # is on the 7 iron. All the rest will have a 33, 13 or similar two digit number on the hosel - not sure what this is for, maybe production facility????

i have the PW, AW and the SW in my set and i find the AW much easier to use for small chips around 50 yards from the flag and find it easier to use than my SW. Was going to get a LW but decided against it as i will just open the face of my SW if needed.

I also have a 50* & 56* set of xft wedges and i am trying to decide which i like better, these or the burner 2.0 wedges. I have just put back in the burner wedges for now and i am getting on ok with them at the moment.

I was going to post the following about 8hrs ago, i.e. before the last 3 posts, but I went to the pub and stayed til stupid o'clock...

Well...

The AW and SW arrived early this morning, and I've had a serious session at the range.

I took about a dozen shots with my PW before trying the new clubs, to get a very good idea about its length. I was glad to play very uniformly to about 125yards.

Then I decided to try the SW, to see whether it would play short enough at full swing to leave any need for a 'gap' wedge. Well, it played pretty uniformly to 100 yards. I was very happy how consistently well I hit the new club. After a few more full-but-lazier swings, which dropped a little short of 100, I had the dilema as to whether to try the AW or return it unused. The thing is, I do seem to have 25yard gaps between my 4-PW, so in a way, despite the 10* PW-SW difference, the SW was only playing one club shorter.

In the end I succumbed to temptation and pulled the protective film off the AW. I said to myself, "this better land at 110!", and can you belive it... it did! Repeatedly. So I was initially very happy. It also played really well, felt really nice to hit. It felt easily square to the ball at address, whereas for some reason I had to stop myself closing the face of the SW. I'm not quite sure what was going on there.

Anyway, I then went back to hitting the PW, and hilariously, hit some really clunky duff shots. LOL. Anyone would have thought I'd moved up to my 4iron. I then proceeded to play all three wedges to a small 'green' at around 110yards (100yard marker, but somewhat left of my bay), expecting to land short with SW, on with AW, and long with PW. Imagine my horror when several pretty sweet shots with each club all landed close to the flag! And with no real discernable difference in bounce or roll (virtually none) with whichever club!

I think when I perfect a uniform swing I'll have a half gap filled. Or, reading other's typical gaps, probably a full gap. The crazy thing is, I'm now going to have to learn to judge 100-112.5-125 yard distances well.

And whilst I type, and despite having really not miss hit a single shot with my new wedges, I've thought of another reason why a full swing isn't always better to a half swing with a stronger club... thinned shots. Which I imagine are much more likely on-course than at range. To take a full swing at a green less then 100 yards away and to thin it, is gonna end up with some walking to do I guess! That said, I felt a few come out of the face low today and still they flew high. I had some trouble with my PW when I first bought the set of irons, and I'd say it's still not as easy to play as my 9iron, but I had no such problems with the new wedges today.

And as for the bounce on them, I'd say they all appear to be the same. I've just checked 9-SW and the leading edge of the club seemes the same height off the ground in all cases.

And my distances again today with the main irons:
9i: a sure 150
8i: couldn't hit a good shot for the life of me, most worrying
7i: first stroke, smooth and easy, and 200yards! frightening
6i: bounced at 200
5i: cleared 200, total difficult to judge
4i: cleared 200, total difficult to judge, but one shot immense and straight, 240 minimum

So I know my practice requirements:
1) make the 4i & 5i work consistently and know their distances
2) make the 7i & 8i work consistently and see if they can fall at convenient gaps between 150 and 200
3) play the new AW & SW and make them work gapped distances

The 8i played so badly today, I think I need a range session alone with that to regain confidence with it!

Another range session today. Can you tell how much I'm enjoying getting back into golf?!

Concentrating on performing the smoothest possible swing, I found better gaps between my wedges. Today I was SW 90, AW 110, PW 125. It still feels rather frivolous to have three clubs in this range, when the PW alone could have sufficed for the moment. It might have been a more obvious no-brainer if the SW and AW were 75 and 100 respectively, sticking to my 25yard club gap.

And as for the 25yard club gap, well these irons are just getting longer and longer, and suggesting to me that it's totally fesible. Like I keep saying, my PW is 125. My 9i is dead on 150. Today I sorted out my 8i and it was nicely slotting in at 175. However, I still hit some horrible sounding shots with this club, real clunks, you could almost wonder if it's a fake club! I bought from a reputable retailer though. Still, I'm keeping my eye on it! My first 7i shot today flew to 200, as did several that followed, and I though 'hang on! this is going to cause problems! I'll have four clubs (7i to 4i) around the 200 mark". But as I keep saying, 200+ with the 6i has been a cinch since I first bought the clubs, and I know I've played it much longer on-course. So I wonder if these irons could become as insane as: 6i 225, 5i 250, 4i 275! I don't want to get ejected from this site for saying mental things, but these things really are happening folks. Today I didn't hit my 5i remotely well once (very ugly), yet most of my balls still ended up trundling down to 200 none-the-less. And I finished my session on my 4i, which I was determined to hit well. It wasn't quite happening, but I was still clearing 200. I took a breather before my very last ball, which worked wonders, because I smashed it into the horizon and ended the session with a smile on my face! I watched it roll over the little hill the 250 yard marker sits on. So not only long, but incredibly straight! It almost disappeared from my sight in the air. And yet it was nowhere near the height of my most amazing shot with this club a few months back at another range. So I really do have confidence that when my technique improves, these clubs are going to be insanely long! Who needs a driver? LOL. I really could not praise them any higher. If you're just starting out, or returning to the game like me, I'd say try them and see if they put a smile on your face like mine!

I dont know what to make of this....That silly birdie is in my ear chirping away. Not sure what to make of it yet.

That birdie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what to make of this....That silly birdie is in my ear chirping away. Not sure what to make of it yet.

Hmmmm. This one has me curious. That birdie must be a big fan of the 2.0's :)

Burner 2.0's for everyone!!!!!!

Lol!!! The THP birdie is my new favorite staffer

Man I love it when that little birdie starts chirping. And in a thread about the awesome 2.0s???

How cool is that birdie, especially when the Burner 2.0 irons are birdie machines.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Nice birdie!!! Polly want a cracker??? Chirp away birdie... Let's hear what you have to say...

Geez....I swear. EVERY DAY is Christmas around here. Know I have not said it explicitly lately - but I am so glad that I found this site. Just a superb place for an average golfer to hang out!

Look forward to hearing the birdie speak on this and not just chirp!!

New member, just read through this whole thread in the space of a few hours, looking into buying a new set of irons and was wondering whether the 2.0s would be worth the extra £100 ($150) over the 09 burners

Surprisingly, i havent seen much comparison to the 09 burner irons and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on this subject,
In specifics, the difference in distance between the 09s and 2.0s, ive heard there isnt that large of a difference but some confirmation would be nice,
Also the forgiveness and feel between the two sets of irons

I understand that the majority of people wont have played both sets, so im grateful for any help that anyone can give
Cheers

Here birdie, birdie, birdie

I have been flipping through this thread after seeing the opportunity for more testing, and it only makes me dream of being able to hit these bad boys. I might just go to my local golf store today to see if they have any demo versions I can hit!

I know ive asked this questions in a few places but I wanted to see if anyone knew.

Does anyone know how the burner 2.0s stack up against the ping raptures?

I just spent some time reviewing this thread and man we have a lot to live up to as Burner 2.0 testers... take 2! This thread is top notch! I hope that we can live up to the originals!

I have been flipping through this thread after seeing the opportunity for more testing, and it only makes me dream of being able to hit these bad boys. I might just go to my local golf store today to see if they have any demo versions I can hit!

go to golf galaxy and hit em!

Back