Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

I've had my Burner 2.0's for five months now. That's the longest I've ever owned a set of irons.

I received my 2.0 6-iron yesterday at my office. It was a nice surprise because I didn't remember using my office address. Anyway, a few initial observations:
1. I expected the club to be much longer than my current 6-iron, but it was actually about the same length;
2. I expected the head to be way more "clunky" and big, but it doesn't look huge compared to my V-31 6 iron. The amount of offset bugged me address, but it wouldn't keep from playing the club. Overall, it's a very attractive club;
3. Not a fan of the grip. In the sweaty heat of the summer I could see it turning into a slip-n-slide;
4. A bad shot is still a bad shot. I hit the first few way off the toe and the results were dismal;
5. I didn't get a whole lot of feedback. I hit a couple of shots maybe a 1/4 inch from the center and couldn't feel it. I thought I had flushed it until I looked at the face;
6. The shaft feels really, really light;
7. I only hit a few shots. The distance was good and the trajectory was piercing, but high. I hit little push fades on every shot, though. Perhaps the lie angle is a little flat or perhaps, I have a terrible swing.

I wanted to update my initial impressions. I can't hit a good shot with this thing. I used it quite a bit during my round the other day and mostly hit pull hooks or blocked out fades. I just don't think my swing works well with the ridiculously light shaft in this thing. In fairness to the club, I am digging the toe of the head into the ground, so it appears the lie angle is a little too flat for my swing. I really like the look of the head and the progressive nature of the set, i.e., the short irons are smaller with less offset. I'd have to try these with a different shaft and have them properly fitted to give them a fair shake, though.

I wanted to update my initial impressions. I can't hit a good shot with this thing. I used it quite a bit during my round the other day and mostly hit pull hooks or blocked out fades. I just don't think my swing works well with the ridiculously light shaft in this thing. In fairness to the club, I am digging the toe of the head into the ground, so it appears the lie angle is a little too flat for my swing. I really like the look of the head and the progressive nature of the set, i.e., the short irons are smaller with less offset. I'd have to try these with a different shaft and have them properly fitted to give them a fair shake, though.

I feel the same way. The shaft is too light and it hinders my swing. I had this same problem with the CG16 as well. I would really like to see how these react (good or bad) with a heavier shaft like a DGXP or KBS.

If anybody has hit these with a heavier shaft please let me know your thoughts.... I cannot hit these things either just as another THPer said.

I am very interested in these and CBs and I hit the 2.0s again tonight at work and everything was pushed. This is partially due to the fact that I need my clubs 2.5* upright. I think I would also need to cut these down just a hair to fit my height a little better.

I am very interested in putting DG or DG XP or the KBS Tour in them. However, I would hate to order these and the shaft react negatively with these irons.

I would love to save a little bit of money, buy these instead of the CBs, and use the extra money for some other equipment.

If anybody has hit these with a heavier shaft please let me know your thoughts.... I cannot hit these things either just as another THPer said.

I am very interested in these and CBs and I hit the 2.0s again tonight at work and everything was pushed. This is partially due to the fact that I need my clubs 2.5* upright. I think I would also need to cut these down just a hair to fit my height a little better.

I am very interested in putting DG or DG XP or the KBS Tour in them. However, I would hate to order these and the shaft react negatively with these irons.

I would love to save a little bit of money, buy these instead of the CBs, and use the extra money for some other equipment.

I don't think putting a different shaft in these will cause a negative reaction to be honest. I think they would be fine. What you really need to be asking yourself are these questions:

1. What shaft works best for me?
2. What do I want in an iron (more length, extra forgiveness or sleeker looks, possible better feel)?
3. What can I afford?

Answer all those questions and you'll know which set to order with what shafts you need in them.

I don't think putting a different shaft in these will cause a negative reaction to be honest. I think they would be fine. What you really need to be asking yourself are these questions:

1. What shaft works best for me? Mizuno Optimizer says DG, PX, and KBS Tour X Flex but I would go S2. What do I want in an iron (more length, extra forgiveness or sleeker looks, possible better feel)? Love the sleek looks of the CB/MC and the feel, but have always used a GI Iron.3. What can I afford? I can afford both right now, but would love the extra money for other clubs.
Answer all those questions and you'll know which set to order with what shafts you need in them.

With my answers, I think I would be happy with either. Also... I would need to go 4-PW with the 2.0s because I shanked the AW 5 out of 5 times. Club didn't feel right to me.

If the optimizer suggested KBS Xflex but you want stiff, they make a S+ flex, that's between stiff and xstiff.

Based on your answers, I can see where you are torn. Do you stick with what you are familiar with or do you go with what you want? If it were me, I'd go with what I want. You never want to invest in something and have remorse.

I just got my 2.0s with KBS90s stiff - had hit the 6 iron against the stock on a grass range and liked the results of the 102g KBS 90 a bit better - didn't have a heavier option to hit at the time. Played one round and hit them well - didn't notice any disconnect with the non stock shafts, but admit I'm not the most sensitive guy on that (as my wife notes). Might go heavier as you are thinking - trying to find a place today as a matter of fact to hit DG, PX and KBS in them. Will report back if I get any meaningful results.

EDIT: Sorry, Mercer, forget to reply with your quote regarding putting a non stock shaft in the 2.0s

I love mine with the DG's compared to the stock shafts personally. I'm one heckuva high-ball hitter so the DG's bring me down nicely. Plus, I like the added weight in my irons and, I still hit these WAY farther than my 4DX Pro's or Ci9's with DG's in them.

Anyone notice Camillo's set at the Masters yesterday? Sorry for no pics but I saw them on another site and they look different than the retail version....more of a brushed grey than a matte black color? I have also heard he had two custom sets made for him that were forged? Anyone know more about these and if they would ever be released to retail?

Hit a 2.0 6i today at Golfsmith. I liked the feel of it. A lot. I think I've become a light weight shaft guy. It was a regular flex, but this time of year I probably have a regular flex swing. I could game these in a heartbeat. The extra length in the shafts would probably necessitate a lie adjustment in my case.

Kevin

I just got my 2.0s with KBS90s stiff - had hit the 6 iron against the stock on a grass range and liked the results of the 102g KBS 90 a bit better - didn't have a heavier option to hit at the time. Played one round and hit them well - didn't notice any disconnect with the non stock shafts, but admit I'm not the most sensitive guy on that (as my wife notes). Might go heavier as you are thinking - trying to find a place today as a matter of fact to hit DG, PX and KBS in them. Will report back if I get any meaningful results.

EDIT: Sorry, Mercer, forget to reply with your quote regarding putting a non stock shaft in the 2.0s

Keller, If you don't mind me asking, what was the price$$$ upgrade for KBS in the 2.0? Are you hitting the ball even higher that the stock 85G. or has your ball flight decreased?

Poor finish on 9i

Poor finish on 9i

I bought these clubs a couple of months ago. The finish on the 9i is terrible. I contacted Taylormade about a replacement with no response. I realize the finish does not affect the play of these clubs but it sure affect the look and for new clubs you want them to be right.

I played my first round with my new 2.0's this weekend.
It took the first nine holes to get the feel of the new distances and shafts.
The ball jumps off the club face and feels like butter.
The ball flight is a little higher than my Callaway X-20 Tours, but I'm hitting them about 6 to 10 yards farther.
I shot par on the back nine with a missed birdie on 18.

So....for the first time out....I really like them!

Keller, If you don't mind me asking, what was the price$$$ upgrade for KBS in the 2.0? Are you hitting the ball even higher that the stock 85G. or has your ball flight decreased?

Sorry for the delay Mardin. KBS90 shaft is no charge - funny because the manager at the golf store didn't even know that until they ordered the clubs and confirmed with Taylormade. I did not confirm but I believe the standard KBS is $13/club up charge.

I'm really looking into a new set of irons! They will be TM but not sure which ones yet. Good write on these so far! Now on to the MB, MC, and CB threads...

Sorry for the delay Mardin. KBS90 shaft is no charge - funny because the manager at the golf store didn't even know that until they ordered the clubs and confirmed with Taylormade. I did not confirm but I believe the standard KBS is $13/club up charge.

That's awesome Keller. I wonder if KBS is doing a free upgrade to the 2.0s since they are upgrading the TP lines for free.

I've got one of the Burner 2.0 6-irons sitting around my place from the free giveaway that they did recently. I'd like to pass it on to another forum member to let them try it out. I've hit it a few times at the range, but otherwise it's fairly new. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Burner 2.0 with DG S300

Burner 2.0 with DG S300

I bought the Burner 2.0 with DG S300 to try to lower my ball flight. I was fitted for stiff flex by Golf Galaxy. I hate these clubs. DON'T EVER BUY CLUBS BASED ON LAUNCH MONITOR RESULTS ONLY! The shafts are way too heavy and I have to swing as hard as I can to even come close to the distance I was getting with my RAC LT with Dynalite R300 with a ballooning problem. I do like the lower 7-pw clubs and I feel with a lighter shaft, they'd produce well for me, but the stock shaft is way too light and would make me balloon shots. With the DG S300, I really have to work at it to not hit a fade which is contrary to how these clubs are marketed. I believe it's a combination of the wrong shaft and maybe lie angle for me. 6 iron swing speed avg is 84 mph.
I have a set for sale that has only been played one round and hit at the range 3 times if you're looking.

I bought the Burner 2.0 with DG S300 to try to lower my ball flight. I was fitted for stiff flex by Golf Galaxy. I hate these clubs. DON'T EVER BUY CLUBS BASED ON LAUNCH MONITOR RESULTS ONLY! The shafts are way too heavy and I have to swing as hard as I can to even come close to the distance I was getting with my RAC LT with Dynalite R300 with a ballooning problem. I do like the lower 7-pw clubs and I feel with a lighter shaft, they'd produce well for me, but the stock shaft is way too light and would make me balloon shots. With the DG S300, I really have to work at it to not hit a fade which is contrary to how these clubs are marketed. I believe it's a combination of the wrong shaft and maybe lie angle for me. 6 iron swing speed avg is 84 mph.
I have a set for sale that has only been played one round and hit at the range 3 times if you're looking.

Do you think if you put the Dynalites in ther 2.0's it would improve flight and swing speed. Why did you go with DG S300 for the 2.0s? Was is your choosing or the fitters reccomendations?

I did not like the light stock shaft and was curious what type of ball flight and distance you would get with a heavier shaft. How much distance are you losing compared to the stock shaft 2.0s?

BTW...Welcome to THP!

Dang dude, that really sucks. These are a great set of irons if you can get them to fit your swing. I'm sure you're in the minority, especially if you read much of this thread. People are seeing strong results from these irons. I agree that they're not easy to keep the flight down on them, but I always hit too low of a ball anyway so I quite like the higher ball flight. I find the ball goes high but just keeps right on going far too. I still believe these are as good as any iron set out there right now.

I apologize if this has been asked previously, but i'd lazily rather not dig through 124 pages.

I'm in the market for new irons, will be doing some serious testing and most likely purchasing at the local demo day in two weeks, I just have a question for those of you who have them/have tested them. I have a set of 2005 callaway big bertha super game improvement irons. How do the burners as 2011 gi irons compare in forgivability in 2005 sgi irons?

just because you're dealing with 6 years difference in technology I'd say they were night and day. Best bet is to just go hit them

I apologize if this has been asked previously, but i'd lazily rather not dig through 124 pages.

I'm in the market for new irons, will be doing some serious testing and most likely purchasing at the local demo day in two weeks, I just have a question for those of you who have them/have tested them. I have a set of 2005 callaway big bertha super game improvement irons. How do the burners as 2011 gi irons compare in forgivability in 2005 sgi irons?

Back