Nike Golf AND Dick's don't stick by YOU (at least ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These threads always make me laugh. Hackers going to hack. Thats like buying a new car, backing into a poll, denting it, then getting mad at the dealership and manufacturer for not fixing for free.

Absurd.

You toed it, you dented it, sack up and pay to replace or repair it. We have all probably misshit a ball and damaged a club (myself included) but I fail to see how one can expect someone else to pay for your/my mistake.

I am late to the party here, but have a couple of questions.
This picture looks like a golf ball hit that spot. Is that correct?
Can I ask how? Normal swing where you slipped or just missed?
I can honestly say I have never seen a dent like that from normal use, so before I can assist, I want to make sure I have all the facts as they are presented.

You used the club only once.
Took a swing and hit it too far out on the toe and it caused this dent?
The rest of the customer service stuff I dont really care about, because I understand their side of it, which I can see.
When you hit the club way out there off the face, and it dented, did anything break internally that you could hear?
Is it possible that you could take a picture from the toe looking at it directly as if it was setup to take a swing? That might help too.

Interesting.....those of you that offered constructive criticism thank you! The rest of you with your little insults....
Yes I have said from the start I hit it in the toe. I haven't lied. Those that offered your "two cents" about lesson. A. It's none of your business. B. I am taking lessons! I can't wait to be as good as you and NOT make mistakes.
As a newcomer to THP that had a legit complaint....thanks for making me feel welcome!

Hey buddy, while I can understand you being upset with some of the replies, remember tone is hard to tell on the internet. However I genuinely offered to help and got no response so I am guessing you missed my post. Here it is again quoted above.

Hi there,

Not sure how this works over in the states so apologies in advance if this is a meaningless post but several years ago, i had an issue with a Nike Sumo driver and had a similar problem with a huge sky mark (completely my fault - new to the game etc)...i tried taking it back to the retailer and speaking to Nike but didnt get anywhere. The club was brand new (circa $300).

After exploring all my options, i had the "misfortune" of unbeleivably slipping against the club and breaking the shaft! A pure accident of course and i proceeded to claim against my Home insurance policy (paid the $50 excess) and had a cheque for $300 for a brand spanking new club....i didn't even buy a replacement Nike...i bought a Cobra...it was all good. :D

Disclaimer:-

I have never knowingly submitted an insurance claim under false pretence.

Whaaa? I agree with you as far as fitting goes, but they are authorized retailers for ten OEMs. The can send clubs back in for warranty or repair. They can custom order. Dicks is very capable of selling you new clubs. The Dicks in Green Bay has some of the best staff around. Tons of knowledge and very affable.

Wal-Mart is also an authorized dealer of Titleist, Callaway, and Nike and could sell their clubs if they wanted to but that doesn't mean they are knowledgeable, or have a strong relationship with their local rep to where they could do more for a customer than EW, GA, or the PGA SS. I've worked for both the PGA SS and Golfsmith in the past and I know what they take back and how a call to the local/regional rep (who is usually based in Atlanta) can make things happen. I know Dick's uses the same reps but I've actually heard the reps mention how they go to Dick's maybe once a quarter and never more than that. They come in the golf specific stores and pro shops once a week to once every two weeks.

I'd like to think that Green Bay maybe doesn't have a lot of golf specific stores so the Dick's is about as good as it gets and the reps in the golf department actually play the game and are probably members on a board like this to help them gain even more knowledge.

Last edited:
Wal-Mart is also an authorized dealer of Titleist, Callaway, and Nike and could sell their clubs if they wanted to but that doesn't mean they are knowledgeable, or have a strong relationship with their local rep to where they could do more for a customer than EW, GA, or the PGA SS. I've worked for both the PGA SS and Golfsmith in the past and I know what they take back and how a call to the local/regional rep (who is usually based in Atlanta) can make things happen. I know Dick's uses the same reps but I've actually heard the reps mention how they go to Dick's maybe once a quarter and never more than that. They come in the golf specific stores and pro shops once a week to once every two weeks.

I'd like to think that Green Bay maybe doesn't have a lot of golf specific stores so the Dick's is about as good as it gets and the reps in the golf department actually play the game and are probably members on a board like this to help them gain even more knowledge.

Blanket statements about Dicks inability to fully service customers is not fair to the dicks stores that can and do fantastic work.

I bought a nike covert driver used from another thp'er and after a week or so I stripped out the flexloft adapter while changing some settings (100% my fault) and I called nike and they sent me a prepaid shipping box and I had it within two days. Sent them the driver and I had a brand new one within a week, nike costumer service was one of the best experiences I've had. I went in expecting to be charged at least 50 bucks for a new adapter but was given a whole new driver for free, no complains from nike at all.

Regarding the bolded statement, that sounds like a poor rep more than a poor store.

Blanket statements about Dicks inability to fully service customers is not fair to the dicks stores that can and do fantastic work.

Wouldn't you say we are both making blanket statements based on our area's Dick's (no pun intended)? Your experiences with the service and knowledge were good and mine were quite the opposite. I've worked in the industry as a sales associate for two major golf retailers (and I admit, they don't always employ knowledgeable staff either) so I know what I've been told by at least four or five different Dick's associates (each at different locations) and they were all wrong. I'm not saying I meant to test them on their knowledge but I do like to (on occasion) hear what their opinions are on shafts, ball performance, and other things and I've heard answers all over the place.

I didn't mean for our conversation to change the direction of the OP's thread but I think that maybe the Dick's in his area has associates that are similar to the associates I've encountered here in Atlanta.

Regarding the bolded statement, that sounds like a poor rep more than a poor store.

A lot of reps don't stop into big box stores. Because of larger corporate agreements, the local reps get no credit for what the store stocks or sells. On top of that, the stores themselves have little say on what they actually stock.

Wouldn't you say we are both making blanket statements based on our area's Dick's (no pun intended)? Your experiences with the service and knowledge were good and mine were quite the opposite. I've worked in the industry as a sales associate for two major golf retailers (and I admit, they don't always employ knowledgeable staff either) so I know what I've been told by at least four or five different Dick's associates (each at different locations) and they were all wrong. I'm not saying I meant to test them on their knowledge but I do like to (on occasion) hear what their opinions are on shafts, ball performance, and other things and I've heard answers all over the place.

I didn't mean for our conversation to change the direction of the OP's thread but I think that maybe the Dick's in his area has associates that are similar to the associates I've encountered here in Atlanta.

No I was not making a blanket statement. I have been saying that not all Dicks are useless. The Green Bay store is the exception that proves that rule. I've actually heard the staff in GB tell customers that cast or forged wont affect the feel at all. That's a knowledgable staff.

This wasn't one rep. I won't call out the names of the company's whose reps said these things but it was a consistent thing among them. Maybe things are different depending on the region we live in here in the US. In Atlanta, Dick's shouldn't be the first choice of a serious golfer to purchase equipment (totally my opinion, nothing in that statement based on fact, gotta love the internet).

Whaaa? I agree with you as far as fitting goes, but they are authorized retailers for ten OEMs. The can send clubs back in for warranty or repair. They can custom order. Dicks is very capable of selling you new clubs. The Dicks in Green Bay has some of the best staff around. Tons of knowledge and very affable.

That's about as blanketed a statement as anything I've said. Let's agree to disagree and shake hands, tee off, and grab some drinks at the 19th hole. :drinks:

That's about as blanketed a statement as anything I've said. Let's agree to disagree and shake hands, tee off, and grab some drinks at the 19th hole. :drinks:

What's a blanket statement? The italicized section or the entire post? Because I qualified it saying that my Dicks experience is with the location in GB. If you take one sentence out of that post without context, then I can see how you misread what I posted.

What's a blanket statement? The italicized section or the entire post? Because I qualified it saying that my Dicks experience is with the location in GB. If you take one sentence out of that post without context, then I can see how you misread what I posted.

Yes, the BOLDED, ITALICIZED, UNDERLINED STATEMENT is a blanket statement. :act-up: Forget it. It's not that serious. I'm a married man so I don't want to come to the internet to have disagreements. Let's play golf and be merry.

Lets try to keep this to the topic at hand rather than arguing about who is making unfounded statements.
Thanks.

Here are the pics.
9ebyqebe.jpg
ga3y2eby.jpg
jevanase.jpg

For those of you saying I could have hit a rock or something. (sprinkler head etc) Aren't those items HARDER then a golf ball and therefore would chip the paint and cause scratches?

All opinions aside, this absolutely sucks. I can't imagine the feeling you had when you felt it hit wrong and looked down to find that.

Ugh. All the best in getting it resolved.

Here the thing, dicks and Nike could have fixed this situation and should have. One swing shouldn't put a dent in a driver head. I've hit a club on the crown before bit I know from giving lesson that some do.

others have had good experiences with Dicks and some love Nike, good for them. If this was from one swing OT should have been rectified. It cost nothing for Dick's to send back as a faulty club.i have returned clubs to club makers over the years with no issue and I don't see this situation any different. Try to get I touch with the regional manager from dicks and see if they can help. Sorry for the situation and the grief, sucks to feel like your being brushed off or taken advantage of.

After seeing the pics, I'm sorry to say but looks like your stuck with it. Could Dick's and/or Nike or taken it back, slapped a demo sticker on it, and sent you a new driver/head for it? Yes. Are they liable to? No. They truely can't replace every (for lake of a better term) idiot mark that they get called about on a driver. Before the pics I was like many here, I thought the dent was on the face, just towards the toe. I didn't know it was on the actually driver itself. It is a very unfortunate dent, but does it affect the driver itself? If there is no playability issues, just continue playing it.

I work in retail, and I understand why you might be getting upset about the return/run around issues. When people can't return something to our store they basically just go insane and mouth off on whoever is telling them they can't, even though everything is being followed.

They truely can't replace every (for lake of a better term) idiot mark that they get called about on a driver. Before the pics I was like many here, I thought the dent was on the face, just towards the toe. I didn't know it was on the actually driver itself. It is a very unfortunate dent, but does it affect the driver itself? If there is no playability issues, just continue playing it.

That's what concerns me about it. I can deal with idiot marks, most of us have made them at one time or another. The problem I have with it is that you have a club meant to be swung at over 100 mph by some people, hitting what I would consider a hard object from 45" or so away. In designing a club, they should expect people to miss the face on occasion and should make any part of the front of the club able to withstand it.

JB said earlier that there are many drivers designed like that and dents are fairly common. So why are they making them this way? If I hit one of my irons on the hosel (which I never do because I'm such a great golfer:alien:) I expect the iron to hold up, not dent or break just because I hit the ball with a part that I wasn't supposed to hit it with. If it is part of the front of the club it should be expected to contact the ball sometimes. That's why they started making the heads bigger in the first place isn't it, to make them more forgiving on mishits?

So I'm going to stick with my opinion that this was a poor design by Nike and if it can be determined that a dent like that was most likely caused by a ball, it should be covered under warranty. Now if the dent was anyplace other than on the front of the club, then I'd agree that it's the users fault and shouldn't be replaced.

There is no way this should be replaced and no way Nike should expect balls to be hit off of this section of the club. If you have four inches of face to hit it on and you completely miss the face on a normal swing, the damage is your fault. Were any portion of the dent part of the face, I would agree that they should step up. If it was an abnormal swing (slip, or trying a trick shot of some kind) then it is still your fault. I would feel frustrated as well but at the end of the day, maybe a used driver is a better option until the ball striking gets firmed up a bit.

This has been one of my favorite threads. Good Internet banter!

JB said earlier that there are many drivers designed like that and dents are fairly common. So why are they making them this way? If I hit one of my irons on the hosel (which I never do because I'm such a great golfer:alien:) I expect the iron to hold up, not dent or break just because I hit the ball with a part that I wasn't supposed to hit it with. If it is part of the front of the club it should be expected to contact the ball sometimes. That's why they started making the heads bigger in the first place isn't it, to make them more forgiving on mishits?

Im assuming this is in jest, because its not accurate. Heads were made bigger for the exact opposite reason. To have a larger surface area to hit, and in turn increase forgiveness. The idea that a company should design a club so that if someone completely misses the face it should hold up is kind of crazy. Let me use this as an example.

Take a chair you sit on. Now instead of sitting on the cushion, you sit on the very top of it. Do you think if the chair falls and you break your arm or the chair breaks Ikea (or fill in furniture place here) should be responsible? Of course not. Yet you were still using the chair to sit on, so the use was the same. Same thing here. You were still hitting a golf ball, but completely missed the surface area.

A golf club should be designed to offer the best package of performance and forgiveness. They should not take into account someone missing the face entirely.

I have offered to possibly assist the OP, but am just waiting for his response.

That's what concerns me about it. I can deal with idiot marks, most of us have made them at one time or another. The problem I have with it is that you have a club meant to be swung at over 100 mph by some people, hitting what I would consider a hard object from 45" or so away. In designing a club, they should expect people to miss the face on occasion and should make any part of the front of the club able to withstand it.

So I'm going to stick with my opinion that this was a poor design by Nike and if it can be determined that a dent like that was most likely caused by a ball, it should be covered under warranty. Now if the dent was anyplace other than on the front of the club, then I'd agree that it's the users fault and shouldn't be replaced.

Have you seen this driver in person? Because that part of the driver is pretty far away from the center of the face. I will put it this way, that part of the club was never designed to strike the ball. It is so far way, I don't see how that is an issue

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not interpreting the picture correctly. I'll have to actually look at one of those drivers in the store. It could be that I'm not seeing what I think I am.

Maybe I'm not interpreting the picture correctly. I'll have to actually look at one of those drivers in the store. It could be that I'm not seeing what I think I am.

His dents aren't on the face of the club at all. They're almost behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back