Nike Golf AND Dick's don't stick by YOU (at least ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you'd be surprised on what is covered under the warranty and just because sometimes some companies will exchange something doesn't mean everyone will.

Yes, you're definitely right about that!!!

This damage is really nothing more than idiot mark (no offense)...

I want to preface this by saying I believe in loyalty! I have been a "Nike Guy" for years. Basically the point I'm making is I wear just about EVERYTHING Nike. When it came time for me to buy a set of clubs I bought Nike. (Ignorance is bliss...I know) Ok lets cut to present time. I wanted a new birthday gift, so I went to Dick's and immediately headed to the golf department and gravitated to the Nike Covert drivers. Yes, made the purchase and was very excited.(this was 3/30/13) I played one time with the club, and was satisfied. Even hitting it at the driving range. (satisfied) One day I was at the range and noticed at dent at the toe after hitting a ball. Immediately I took the club to Dick's! (I mean this is a $399 club) The Pro there told me that he would need to call Nike and will get back to me. (he told me he would get back to me the following day) Well a week (literally) later I called the Pro, and he told me Nike wouldn't cover it because I hit a foreign object! I'm sorry, when has a golf ball been a foreign object to a golf club?!? He then told me there was nothing he could do, and that I can contact Nike, or Dick's customer service. Wait.....I bought it from you guys, why should I do the leg work. All I want is it to be replaced! I decided the next day to call the Dick's I purchased it from and speak with a manager. She seemed well receptive of what my problem was and said she would call me back. No return phone call. I then decided to go to another Dick's and try my luck. I spoke with the Pro on the phone he told me to come right in and they will take care of it. I brought in my club and showed him, he went to talk to someone, and said that he couldn't do anything because he would not be able to resale it! (First of all I told him EXACTLY what was wrong with the club) How is reselling an item MY issue? He then told me to contact Nike, and see what they can do. So once again I am doing what the store should have done. I then called Nike and spoke with a gentleman who told me to email a pic and he will let me know. I sent him pics and he returned my email by stating the toe of the club was not designed to withstand hitting a golf ball and because of that it isn't covered! Once again.....this is a FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR ITEM! What the hell?!?! I then spoke with him on the phone and explained my frustrations. All I want is for it to be replaced or fixed. He then gave me the option to send it (the club) in for inspection, but doesn't think it will help because hitting a golf ball at the toe is not what the club is designed for. Once again it's a FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR ITEM!! I sent the club in, and got it back stating "Credit Denial " due to misuse,abuse or neglect. How is hitting the ball on the toe NEGLECT. I know that isn't where you are suppose to hit it, AND I know if it was consistently hit on the toe, etc. I get that. However, i've played with the club ONCE and have taken it to the range! I have had an experience with a pair of Nike 360 sneakers where the bubble on the sole had popped. I contacted customer service told me to send it in and BOOM they sent me a new pair of the same sneaker. Now, because of that experience I "they" that is how Nike ran their customer service. Apparently NOT!!! They will take back a pair of (worn) sneakers and exchange them (no questions asked) but when it comes to a golf club(that is two months old and played with once)there is a problem?! I forgot to mention, the customer service guy made his judgement based on pics. He (and Dick's) at the beginning of this process "suggested" I might have caused it by hitting a sprinkler head, or complete negligence. Interesting enough sprinkler heads being made out of metal would cause a little more damage then a dent! (My club has NO scratches on it) Did I mention the customer service rep stated if they exchanged my club then they would have to do it for everyone? I'm sorry Nike what was your last quarter earnings? I don't think a four hundred dollar club that cost you fifty dollars (if that) to manufacture would put a "dent" in it! Nike what happens to the "customer is always right"? What happens to someone who is(was) loyal? I am not Tiger, Rory, or LeBron, but the average guy! (Who is your TARGET market) Has anyone any similar nightmares? I have pics of the club. I am new to this forum, and still trying to figure out how to add pics. So be patient they are coming.

.......funny how something like this always seems to be caused by someone else!

My first thought, providing we have all the accurate facts, is perhaps you should hold off buying $400 drivers and instead invest in some lessons.

My second thought is the club is warranted to work under normal operations. I don't think that classifies as such.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

My first thought, providing we have all the accurate facts, is perhaps you should hold off buying $400 drivers and instead invest in some lessons.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

I dont think thats a valid suggestion..assuming everything stated is true a toe shot shouldn't do this.

I dont think thats a valid suggestion..assuming everything stated is true a toe shot shouldn't do this.

It's perfectly valid. Just because a toe shot shouldn't do this has no bearing on the fact HE MISSED THE ENTIRE FACE OF THE CLUB!

It's perfectly valid. Just because a toe shot shouldn't do this has no bearing on the fact HE MISSED THE ENTIRE FACE OF THE CLUB!

My bad I forgot how internet golfers never make mistakes

Well, having seen the pictures it makes it a bit more interesting. I can see where Nike or Dicks may be a little timid to replace the club.

Well, having seen the pictures it makes it a bit more interesting. I can see where Nike or Dicks may be a little timid to replace the club.

Yupp, I`m sure they have a lot of people claiming that weird damage to their clubs was caused during a normal swing.

As for the OP, it does look like it was caused by a golf ball, I`m just not sure how you put that kind of dent on the club during a swing :confused2:

After seeing the pictures I'll agree that since it wasn't actually on the face, it's really up to them whether they want to replace it or not. I had to go look at my drivers and see if I had any marks that far out on the toe. On my R11S the face goes almost all the way to the edge and I don't see any obvious marks where I might have hit a ball there. On my Burner, the face doesn't go all the way to the end more like your Nike, but I still didn't see any marks there. So I guess I haven't been unlucky enough to hit one that far out on the toe yet.

Sorry that it happened to you, especially on a new club. My opinion is that it would be more of a poor design issue than a defect. They should have anticipated this sort of thing happening when they designed the driver, knowing that mishits happen all the time.

I feel for your situation but have to wonder if, based on the intensity of your initial post, this could have been handled more calmly resulting in a different outcome. Calm and collected, rather than outraged, will get much better results in these situations.

Much like others have said, I had a customer just a few weeks ago bring in a Ping driver broken in half and straight up tell me he slammed it in the trunk and asked how much it would cost. One call to Ping, where I told them exactly what happened, new shaft on the way free of charge.

Bad swing, bad result I say suck it up because you missed the club face entirely, they cant idiot proof these things I am living proof of that I've dented quite a few but never at a head on toe like that, it looks like it hit dead center head on the toe like the club was 90* closed to the ball just very odd.

First of all man I feel for you. No one wants to damage a brand new club, especially one that they love. I was at a Golf Galaxy demo day not to long ago and got to chit chatting with the head pro there. I noticed a Covert driver with an almost identical dent to yours and had to ask him about it. He told me that a customer had just about missed a ball and that was the outcome. It was a demo club and he said he didn't even try and send it back because 1) it was a demo and 2) the club was not made to strike a golf ball on that part of the head, therefore it was not returnable. This was a demo club from a shop that probably does a ton of business with Nike and even they weren't getting a replacement.

First of all man I feel for you. No one wants to damage a brand new club, especially one that they love. I was at a Golf Galaxy demo day not to long ago and got to chit chatting with the head pro there. I noticed a Covert driver with an almost identical dent to yours and had to ask him about it. He told me that a customer had just about missed a ball and that was the outcome. It was a demo club and he said he didn't even try and send it back because 1) it was a demo and 2) the club was not made to strike a golf ball on that part of the head, therefore it was not returnable. This was a demo club from a shop that probably does a ton of business with Nike and even they weren't getting a replacement.

Makes me wonder how common this is with these drivers. To me, the face should cover the entire front of the club. There shouldn't be excess sticking out that can't hold up to a ball strike. That's poor design in my book. I realize we aren't supposed to hit the ball on that part, but that's just asking for it.

Makes me wonder how common this is with these drivers. To me, the face should cover the entire front of the club. There shouldn't be excess sticking out that can't hold up to a ball strike. That's poor design in my book. I realize we aren't supposed to hit the ball on that part, but that's just asking for it.

That is certainly not a Nike specific design.

As much as I'd hate to admit it, I did similar damage to my old Srixon Z-Star driver because of a stupidly bad swing.

And to be honest, I didn't even think about returning the club or complaining, because it was obviously my fault.

I hate to say but a picture is worth a thousand words. I was under the impression it was on the toe of the face. It sucks that you did this but personally wouldn't give you a new driver.

I sure as hell wouldn't replace this either. Sorry. You said you hit it on the toe. This dent isn't even on the face of the club.

I'm trying to figure out how that's even done on a swing.

I wouldn't give you another driver either.

That is certainly not a Nike specific design.

That's what I was wondering about. The shape might be the same but is the strength in that spot the same? If you hit one from a different manufacturer in that spot, would it do the same thing? Companies have been making them that way for years, yet this is the first I've heard of one doing that.

That's what I was wondering about. The shape might be the same but is the strength in that spot the same? If you hit one from a different manufacturer in that spot, would it do the same thing? Companies have been making them that way for years, yet this is the first I've heard of one doing that.

Its not Nike specific and yes similar things would happen.

If it was in the face you would have an valid complaint. Sorry this happened.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how a tee shot could be hit off of that part of the toe.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how a tee shot could be hit off of that part of the toe.

From experience (embarrassingly so), I can tell you exactly how you do it. You swing extremely OTT and then try to turn the club over hard because you don't want to go right again and miss the face completely. I remember those days, and they were the most frustrating days of my golfing life. I had just forgot how to hit a driver and it just got worse.

Kind of had the Yips, but with the driver.

From experience (embarrassingly so), I can tell you exactly how you do it. You swing extremely OTT and then try to turn the club over hard because you don't want to go right again and miss the face completely. I remember those days, and they were the most frustrating days of my golfing life. I had just forgot how to hit a driver and it just got worse.

Kind of had the Yips, but with the driver.

I dented the crown because of some bad footing. But to think that Nike or Dicks owes it to you because you tried to hit the ball off of that part of the driver, I don't see. And I've been in a similar place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back