Nike Golf AND Dick's don't stick by YOU (at least ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dented the crown because of some bad footing. But to think that Nike or Dicks owes it to you because you tried to hit the ball off of that part of the driver, I don't see. And I've been in a similar place.

Yeah, that's why I said I did something similar with my Z-Star a couple years ago, and the thought never crossed my mind to try to take it back. In fact, I was pretty embarrassed about it, knowing what I had done.

I am still trying to wrap my head around how a tee shot could be hit off of that part of the toe.

On my Burner it's possible to hit one on the end if a swing really gets away from me. Here's a pic of it head on and if the Nike is the same it can be done. The thing with the Burner is that it isn't flat or round, it's angled three ways. So if I did hit a ball there it would most likely deflect up or down or to the right. I'd probably have to hit it dead perfect for it to cause a dent.

Photo0127_zps63a513a0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I still believe that Nike or Dicks have no responsibility to "make it right" by giving a new head. If anything, offer to by just a head from Nike.

Being mad about a run around, is a different story. That it is ok to be mad about.

I've got a spare Covert I can sell you if you do want another one. Tour version. But I bet Nike might cut you a deal on a new head only.

Last weekend my cousin was hitting my buddies Covert Tour on the last hole, and teed it up too high and now there is a nice sky mark/dent on the top of the crown. Before buying my buddy a new club my cousin sent it back to Nike just to see what they say. The worse they can say is no. I'll let you know if they do anything for him or not. Completely his fault, but maybe Nike will come through for the both of you.

Interesting.....those of you that offered constructive criticism thank you! The rest of you with your little insults....
Yes I have said from the start I hit it in the toe. I haven't lied. Those that offered your "two cents" about lesson. A. It's none of your business. B. I am taking lessons! I can't wait to be as good as you and NOT make mistakes.
As a newcomer to THP that had a legit complaint....thanks for making me feel welcome!

Interesting.....those of you that offered constructive criticism thank you! The rest of you with your little insults....
Yes I have said from the start I hit it in the toe. I haven't lied. Those that offered your "two cents" about lesson. A. It's none of your business. B. I am taking lessons! I can't wait to be as good as you and NOT make mistakes.
As a newcomer to THP that had a legit complaint....thanks for making me feel welcome!

It happens man, don't let it get you down. I've hit my fair share of driver shots not on the face (usually off the sole of the club, lol). You tried to get a new driver and it didn't work, it happens. Hopefully some here helped you see why (potentially). Good luck with your future driver endeavors, and welcome to THP! I hope you stick around!

Stick around man. This is the internet. Nobody makes mistakes!

Kidding of course :D I've had the pleasure of golfing with a lot of these guys and they've all had their days as well, including yours truly. In the end, I can see both sides of the coin here and hope you find some sort of closure, regardless of what that is.

That sucks...

Firstly, you have my sympathies. We've all made mistakes that leaves that sinking feeling. A couple of thoughts:

I can't help but think that your "outrage" in this situation contributed to the negative result you got from various customer service people. Seeing as it was clearly a mistake on your part, it probably would've helped if you didn't try to argue that they owed you something as opposed to whether they can help you out of a jam. Nike customer service or anybody else isn't about kicking you while you're down. Saying something like "look, I clearly made a mistake and I feel sick about it. Is there anything you can do to help me out or soften the blow a little?" could've helped your cause.

While you're on the line with them, you could also inquire about repair shops. There are a number of authorized repair shops that could fix that for a fraction of what a new driver would cost. Perhaps if you catch the right CS person they might even knock a few bucks off the repair price. If that doesn't go, they may at least have a line on a return, used or demo head you could buy for cheaper.

Anyway, good luck. Brighter days are always ahead.

That's too bad man, I never would have thought a golf ball could do that to a club. I'd just send it to Nike and calmly see if they can do anything, if not try and swing a deal on a new head.
I can see their side if they do nothing, and I can see your frustration but in the end it's just a club that still works.

My driver must hate me because I am doing my best to remove all the paint on the crown using nothing but golf balls lol.

The difference between a pair of shoes and a top of the line driver is production cost. A pair of shoes is pocket change but a driver like the Covert has a much higher cost, with all the testing and research that goes into it, so Nike will be more strict on what they cover. A buddy a mine put a dent in the crown of his Covert. He couldn't have played it more than 3 or 4 rounds. Seems like this could be an issue with the design as there have been quite a few instances. Who knows, maybe there will be a class action suit you can get in on. I've had a few problems with eBay sellers shipping me defective clubs. No matter how hard I fought, I never got anything out of it. My advice, swallow hard and cut your losses. The longer you draw this out the more pissed you're gonna be. It happens, don't let it get you down.

And don't stop calling Nike. You just might get a kind Nike customer service rep who "understands that mistakes happen and will be more than willing to make sure that you stick with the brand you have loved for so long" never know. Hope something works out.

You could be upset at me about my car into a pole question, and if so I apologize.

But, honestly, the dent on your club looks very similar to one on the bottom of a Cleveland driver I have that I "tapped" the sole on the ground after a poor drive. Seriously it was not a huge tap, but a "dammit I hit a bad shot" tap that put a dent in the bottom. Must have hit a tee or maybe even an acorn. Never even THOUGHT about complaining to Cleveland about it because it was on me. I just don't see how you could have hot the ball during a swing in the spot where the dent is. Sorry, but it looks like you did what I did, but instead of hitting the sole of the club, you hit the toe of the club on the ground, and that's why they aren't willing to do anything.

Just my opinion of course, but it's what it looks like to my untrained eye and mind.

On a side note, welcome to THP and I hope you stick around even though most disagree with you in this case. There are other forums and threads to post in besides this one, even a introduction forum. Maybe some are taken aback a bit because instead of introducing yourself first and getting involved a little, the first thing you did what create this thread and complain about something that looks to some that may have been caused by something other than a legitimate golf shot.

Wish some of the other threads out there would get this many replies :)

BTW, I should have preface this whole thing that I had NO animosity toward Nike or Dick's when I was dealing with them. I'm well aware of the fact the people I was dealing with are"cogs in the wheel". Any tone of animosity you have taken from my post comes from WEEKS of the "run around" and the personal attacks I have received from my post! I am well aware of the "attracting with honey" adage.

Welcome moonknee! I'm bummed about your situation and wish there was a way for you to get a replacement. I hope you don't feel ganged up on. There are a ton of solid dudes here.

OP, I feel for you but as others have said (some nicer than others), I think you should just charge this to your game of life card. I once did the same thing when I first started playing with a Hogan driver back in 2003 or '04 and I was pissed at myself for making such a bad swing and ruining the look of the club but I knew I wouldn't get to replace it with a new one because it wasn't a manufacturer's error. When shafts break, or hosels break, or faces crack, manufacturers usually can take some responsibility and charge the flawed equipment off. Nike wouldn't be able to do anything with your club. They can't charge it off and they can't fix it and send it to someone as a demo. I know you aren't getting the feedback you'd hoped for but this has happened to many of us and I don't think anyone (well, anyone without a hookup) got to replace their clubs either.

On another note, I never purchase clubs from retailers like Dick's or Sports Authority. They are not true golf retailers and therefore won't be able to offer the service of buying new clubs, getting fitted, or sending clubs in for repair as golf-specific retailers would. Yes the ship has sailed on this purchase but the lesson learned from this I would say would be that you buy balls and tees from Dick's and purchase clubs from Golfsmith or Edwin Watts or the PGA Superstore.

On another note, I never purchase clubs from retailers like Dick's or Sports Authority. They are not true golf retailers and therefore won't be able to offer the service of buying new clubs, getting fitted, or sending clubs in for repair as golf-specific retailers would. Yes the ship has sailed on this purchase but the lesson learned from this I would say would be that you buy balls and tees from Dick's and purchase clubs from Golfsmith or Edwin Watts or the PGA Superstore.

Whaaa? I agree with you as far as fitting goes, but they are authorized retailers for ten OEMs. The can send clubs back in for warranty or repair. They can custom order. Dicks is very capable of selling you new clubs. The Dicks in Green Bay has some of the best staff around. Tons of knowledge and very affable.

I can more than understand the frustration as I'd be beside myself. Not saying you are, but I'm anal with keeping my gear looking like new. I go so far as to use a golf bag (Bennington Quiet Organizer) which locks each iron in place so they won't clank around.

But the fact is that the club was contacted in an area not at all designed to receive impact. Although I'm sure you made an honest pass at the ball and didn't do anything reckless, the area contacted was never intended for such. With that fact, I can't see the company being responsible.

I'd have to attribute the damage to user error rather than manufacturer defect.

Moonknee, I had a similiar issue with a used Nike Str8fit driver. Hit it on the wheel by accident and not only did I put a dent in the driver, but snapped the shaft right at the joint. GolfSmith could not repair the shaft so I wound up getting a used TM driver. Does suck losing out on cash, especially on a driver with that price tag. Seeing as the dent (I took a look at the photos), the club is still playable, just not as sexy as it was before the dent. If anything, you can tell your buddies that the dent is an optional design that provides an air pocket to glide more smoothly through the air, like a pro baseball bat.

Wish some of the other threads out there would get this many replies :)

Seriously...had to read the whole thing to figure out what the fuss was about.

to the OP: Welcome, hope it all works out for you. My last driver has a nice sky mark on it from the 2nd swing I ever took with it...constant reminder /sigh.

Hey moonknee, I wish you luck with this and hope they at least meet you in the middle, if nothing else. No reason for me to give my opinion on whose fault the damage is, as that has been more than amply covered. Honestly, I cringed at a few of the responses you got in this thread and felt kind of bad about it. Felt a bit like piling on at times to me, but the bottom line is THP is a fantastic community and I would urge you to hang around, get involved in some of the other threads and go introduce yourself in the check-in area. Give the guys and gals here a little info on your background and what you're all about and I guarantee you that you'll receive a very warm welcome. There is a lot of help to be had on this board and since none of us will every truly master this game, we all need some from time to time. Again, good luck.

Hey Moonknee. Welcome Aboard! Nice designer driver! Truly personalised.:act-up:
I feel your pain, it is really annoying when you try to be reasonable and people promise to call back and then don't. I guess everybody wants to avoid being the one to say "No".

Have you found that the dent affects playability? Perhaps ask your instructor to hit a few and give you his view. My suspicion is that the club probably plays the same, in which case, I go back to my first comment; you have a driver that is completely your own, and I daresay with a practised swing will still send the ball 220 down the middle (that's 280 in Internet yards by the way:alien:).

I think perhaps that the store and Nike are within their rights to decline to replace it..certainly with me they would have to make a lot of replacements! I try to look at the marks, dents and scratches as the living history of my game and sometimes use them as excuses to buy new unnecessary bats.

Welcome to THP bud, like others have said I too feel your pain. Saying that though it has to be said a golf club is designed to be hit on the face, not where that ball made contact. I can't imagine Nike thought during the design of the club, " what if someone hit it there, we should really strengthen that area". If that were the case we'd all be swinging anvils, lol. I've seen sky marks and I've seen people whiff balls and put marks on the sole but never seen a mark like that.
You're unique :silly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back