Nike Golf AND Dick's don't stick by YOU (at least ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonknee

Reaction score
Handicap
I want to preface this by saying I believe in loyalty! I have been a "Nike Guy" for years. Basically the point I'm making is I wear just about EVERYTHING Nike. When it came time for me to buy a set of clubs I bought Nike. (Ignorance is bliss...I know) Ok lets cut to present time. I wanted a new birthday gift, so I went to Dick's and immediately headed to the golf department and gravitated to the Nike Covert drivers. Yes, made the purchase and was very excited.(this was 3/30/13) I played one time with the club, and was satisfied. Even hitting it at the driving range. (satisfied) One day I was at the range and noticed at dent at the toe after hitting a ball. Immediately I took the club to Dick's! (I mean this is a $399 club) The Pro there told me that he would need to call Nike and will get back to me. (he told me he would get back to me the following day) Well a week (literally) later I called the Pro, and he told me Nike wouldn't cover it because I hit a foreign object! I'm sorry, when has a golf ball been a foreign object to a golf club?!? He then told me there was nothing he could do, and that I can contact Nike, or Dick's customer service. Wait.....I bought it from you guys, why should I do the leg work. All I want is it to be replaced! I decided the next day to call the Dick's I purchased it from and speak with a manager. She seemed well receptive of what my problem was and said she would call me back. No return phone call. I then decided to go to another Dick's and try my luck. I spoke with the Pro on the phone he told me to come right in and they will take care of it. I brought in my club and showed him, he went to talk to someone, and said that he couldn't do anything because he would not be able to resale it! (First of all I told him EXACTLY what was wrong with the club) How is reselling an item MY issue? He then told me to contact Nike, and see what they can do. So once again I am doing what the store should have done. I then called Nike and spoke with a gentleman who told me to email a pic and he will let me know. I sent him pics and he returned my email by stating the toe of the club was not designed to withstand hitting a golf ball and because of that it isn't covered! Once again.....this is a FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR ITEM! What the hell?!?! I then spoke with him on the phone and explained my frustrations. All I want is for it to be replaced or fixed. He then gave me the option to send it (the club) in for inspection, but doesn't think it will help because hitting a golf ball at the toe is not what the club is designed for. Once again it's a FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR ITEM!! I sent the club in, and got it back stating "Credit Denial " due to misuse,abuse or neglect. How is hitting the ball on the toe NEGLECT. I know that isn't where you are suppose to hit it, AND I know if it was consistently hit on the toe, etc. I get that. However, i've played with the club ONCE and have taken it to the range! I have had an experience with a pair of Nike 360 sneakers where the bubble on the sole had popped. I contacted customer service told me to send it in and BOOM they sent me a new pair of the same sneaker. Now, because of that experience I "they" that is how Nike ran their customer service. Apparently NOT!!! They will take back a pair of (worn) sneakers and exchange them (no questions asked) but when it comes to a golf club(that is two months old and played with once)there is a problem?! I forgot to mention, the customer service guy made his judgement based on pics. He (and Dick's) at the beginning of this process "suggested" I might have caused it by hitting a sprinkler head, or complete negligence. Interesting enough sprinkler heads being made out of metal would cause a little more damage then a dent! (My club has NO scratches on it) Did I mention the customer service rep stated if they exchanged my club then they would have to do it for everyone? I'm sorry Nike what was your last quarter earnings? I don't think a four hundred dollar club that cost you fifty dollars (if that) to manufacture would put a "dent" in it! Nike what happens to the "customer is always right"? What happens to someone who is(was) loyal? I am not Tiger, Rory, or LeBron, but the average guy! (Who is your TARGET market) Has anyone any similar nightmares? I have pics of the club. I am new to this forum, and still trying to figure out how to add pics. So be patient they are coming.

Was this on the club face or off it?

How much was the club? :Alien:

All kidding aside, I had a driver shaft from a Nike VR_S break and it was sent and and fixed and sent back to me within 2-weeks. It was a very positive experience. I hope you can get yours worked out, I have heard plenty of good things about Nike Customer Service in the past (even from your post about the shoes!!!!!!!!!!).

Good luck dude!

This isn't a Dicks issue at all. You are better off calling Nike directly

Sorry to hear about the bad luck, as another Nike fan I really hope they make this right for you.

How is this anybody's issue but yours? They're called DF marks for a reason.

Fwiw, I did the exact same thing. Put a dent in the crown of my covert. Brought it to Dicks. And they put the dented crown on a KK Silver shaft and gave me a tour head still in the plastic. They put the dented driver to the side and threw a demo sticker on it.

That to me is exceptional since they didn't have to do anything. It wasn't their or Nike's fault I tried to hit the ball off the top of the driver.

No ofence but you damaged it right? I wouldn't give you another one either.

No offense taken. Have you not hit a ball of the toe?

Went through Nike....nothing!

Bummer man. I think if it's off the face you're going to be out of luck.

Toe side of the face? Yes.
Toe side of the crown? Yes

I recently purchased the Nike Covert driver as well....First day using it, the headcover was too tight so i left it off with my bag on the golf cart. Well, i pulled my 5 iron(Nike) out and dinged the driver....a couple days later I noticed the ding and thought about taking it back.....However; I caused the ding, not Nike or Dick's.....so I take responsibility. BTW, you can't see the ding when you address the club.......and it still hits the ball straight and still goes far.

What you just wrote about in your reply is "Customer Service"! ......and that's MY point! I didn't receive ANY!. They have no problem with exchanging WORN sneakers?

I think if the dent is on the face of the driver anywhere (not on the top) then NIKE should take the club back. I've dented the top of the club near the top on an old Titleist driver. But clearly I hit something with it. I've never played NIKE and the Dick's by me is horrible and I only buy tees there and never purchase clubs from them but it sounds like you are out of luck. If the dent is on the face I think you are getting a raw deal - if it is on the top/red part of the driver it shouldn't affect playability.

I fell your frustration and I hate that happened. Try and post us a picture so we can see the ding and get a better understanding. How long had you had the club when you took it back to dicks the first time?

I want to see some pictures (photobucket) before I give an opinion. Sounds very odd from both companies. You could go to the dicks in Appleton they have great cs.

I understood the OP to be saying the dent was on the face of the club toward the toe. If that is correct he's getting scr#w#d. If the dent is on the crown or out on the far edge of the club (toe but off the face) then I think it is on the OP and Nike/Dick's aren't doing anything wrong. We need pictures.

What you just wrote about in your reply is "Customer Service"! ......and that's MY point! I didn't receive ANY!. They have no problem with exchanging WORN sneakers?

In all fairness to Nike, the bubble busting was a defect that was well known.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't take this the wrong way but you swung it + you dented it = your problem. Neither Nike nor Dick's are responsible and beholden to do anything in this case.
You asked, they said no. I might be upset as well but I'd be pissed at myself for doing it. Accountability, it's grown up life.

I wouldn't replace it if I were them either. This doesn't sound like it has anything to do with a defect in their product. For all they know you could have slammed it against a rock in frustration, and now you want a new one for free? I'm not saying that's what happened, but how would they know?

I hate Nike and would love to bash them here but I can't. I don't understand what would make any of you try to return a club that was damaged by YOU. I wouldn't have ever even thought to try it until today (hopefully I never damage one).

I understand that Nike wouldn't want to replace every dented club. I've seen too many people, both on here in anger threads and on the course, slam their clubs in frustration. The people at Dicks and Nike have no way of knowing if that was the situation in your case or not. If the dent is on the face of the club, I can't see how they could tell you you aren't supposed to hit the ball with that part. We don't all hit the sweet spot every time. The entire face should be designed to withstand the impact of a ball.

Maybe you could talk to them again and try to convince them that it wasn't due to negligence.

This isn't a Dicks issue at all. You are better off calling Nike directly

In retail the store would be allowed to send the club back to Nike as a defective item. They would either credit the cost back to the store or send a new item back for resale. So Dick's could have done something, they just chose not to.

I'd like to see some pictures but reading the story I'm siding with the OP on this one. If you hit a golf ball off the toe part of the face and that caused a dent on a new club I think you are entitled to a new replacement. Now with that being said, I get Nike's and Dick's side of things. It's almost impossible to tell that the damage was done from hitting a golf ball. I'm sure people all the time are negligent with clubs, damage them and then try to say the damage was done by a golf ball. It's a tough situation and I hope it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back