CONTEST Live Update Thread – The 2024 WorldWide Golf Championship

Unpacking my travel golf case today and sad to report my Briggs mug didn’t make it. I had it wrapped up pretty good I thought. Bummer. Hopefully someone can snag me another one at some point

View attachment 9260303
Call the pro shop. I bet they take care of you and get you one shipped.

Unpacking my travel golf case today and sad to report my Briggs mug didn’t make it. I had it wrapped up pretty good I thought. Bummer. Hopefully someone can snag me another one at some point

View attachment 9260303
Man, sorry that happened!

View attachment 9260303
If you still don't have a replacement by the time the Victory Cup comes around, I got you!

View attachment 9260303
Sorry to see that.

Apologies for the decompression post, fairly cathartic though. :D

Round 1: Weird round. I made Marmill be the lead off on the tee and he was a stud. That Mizuno driver was money all weekend, and it let me just try to go over the top on the second drive. And after the first couple holes I did all day. But we hit such weird numbers all day. We had 145 yards in no less that 6 time and 70-80 yards almost as many. Which have to be the worst two yardages in my bag. Between us, hitting off center cut 290+ yard drives all day, we had 1 GIR outside the par 5s. We cleaned up a lot of 4-8 footers for par. Scoring could have been much worse.

Scott made some fantastic approach and pitch shots all day, and was nails on the green. His putting is way way better than a 20 whatever cap he is. Which was perfect for shamble off Trevors drives. I felt bad on a few par 3s where Trevor put it nicely on the green and had tap-in for 3/4 while Scott would play off the drive and 2 putt for a 3/2.

Surprise start on #10. After prepping for the tough start on #1 and #2 the switch kinda threw the game plan a bit. Trevor talking to the caddie on the first tee asking for a different line and then dropping it right where he said he was with a 300 carry was pretty intimidating. Marmill put and I tried to cut the corner, found it but tree trouble. Then came iron play. Rember perfect range session. I think we had 90 in. Full on chunk that went 40 yards. Marmill over the back on a not bad shot. I forget who but one of us scrambled for par. That would be the theme.

We both found the massive bunker in front of #11 green and made a mess of it. Scrambled for a 6/5

Bombs off 12, flip wedge in that I chunked and left short, same with marmill. Good 2 putt from off the green for a 4/3

I think we were 280 middle of the fairway on #13, Trevor cut the corner around 355. Lol. Horrific second shots from both of us. I was lucky to find mind waaay up on the hill left. 145 out, because of course, on a sandy lie. Absolutely thinned a 9i to 3 feet. Lol golf. Made it for a 4/3

Don’t remember the drives on 14 but it was another 80ish yard approach I think that somehow we messed up for another bogey/par.

15 missed green, scramble for bogey

16 deep deep right pin this day. Center fairway….145 out. Marmill bunker. Me fat short iron to the very front edge but I had to chip it to even do anything. Neither could get up and down another bogey.

I think it was walking off 16 green I asked Sean to call in the backups. +2, well back from the leaders, leaking oil. Double Jack and coke on the way.

Missed 17 green, couldn’t get up and down. Bogey.

18, marmill put one safe and I nearly cleared the second bunker right at the pin with an angry drive. This was the green one of us hit and two putted for a par. E at the turn and 5 shots back from WWG. Met with jack and cokes on the green and ready for a reset. WWG birdied 4 of the last 5 that first 9.

Scott had worn a (admittedly fabulous) bright surfboard polo this morning. The other 3 of us were rocking the logo’d puma polos. In true THP fashion he ran back to the casita at the turn to change shirts.

Back to #1. drive took us left of the bunker in perfect position to attack. Both missed the green, can’t get up and down. 5/4

#2 Trevor drove the green, rolled off slightly but crazy impressive. We had 80 in from the right rough. This was my GIR and 2 putt to par.

#3 back fringe, 2 putt par. More good rolls.

#4 good drive, both a little long on the green that you can’t be long on. Cant get chips close. Bogey back to +1

#5 good news is jack and coke was kicking in and another one was on the way. Biggest drive of the day with a nice tailwind. Sean gave us a 130#. We both put it in the bunker. Uuuuugh. Decent bunker shots but neither of us can find the bottom with the putt and settle for a par/birdie.

#6 both groups had about 40 yards in. surprise we shorted them both. Good roll for me and tapped in for par. Marmill hit a great putt from the fringe that die in the mouth one roll short. Still E overall.

#7 little over 200 in from the middle of the fairway. Neither of us hit the green but got up and down for a 4/3. We were now -5 on the par 5s and +4 on everything else.

#8 missed green just of the back edge but pin was front. Marmill great put to tap in range. I let it fly and rattled the pin for a 40 foot birdie.

#9 another gigantic drive on my nemesis hole……145 in. both flew the green missed the par putts but I was popping for the 5/4

-3 with absolutely no iron game to speak of. WWG continued the onslaught with 4 birdies, no bogeys.

Group moral was high, drivers were money. We were in the mix with the teams we thought could handle the next formats the best. Felt really lucky to be under par though.

Alt shot: Got to run it back with WWG and added Southern Twang and Budget golf squads.

Marmill took odds, I took evens.

Hole by hole memory isn’t as great but I remember board watching and seeing WWC and ST both birding #1 in alt shot and got me a little stressed. Ha.

Little loose on the tee shot on two, but marmill started hitting greens at this point. Probably let one slip with the 3 putt on #2. Par on #3. +1 through those first three holes felt really good.

I would like to forget #4. One of the few really bad holes we put out there all weekend -> Double. Twang and WWC had already put 3 strokes on us in alt shot.

What a bounce back though with a net eagle on #5. The first good approach shot I had hit since the range session. Burned the edge on the 20 footer for 3/2. but Our third net eagle on the par 5s of the day.

#6 wasn’t a bad bogey, but it feels worse when the other 3 groups are popping.

Pace was slow and I tend to rush too much in those situations and it got me by the end of this 9.

#7 #8 #9 limped in with 3 straight bogeys.

Alt shot is so tough. I felt we played better than we did in the morning overall but a few shots here and there and all of a sudden we are 3-5 back from the teams we wanted to keep pace with. Even par for day 1 was always the goal as we thought the shamble combined would be our best format.

Last edited:
Southern Twang have claimed their rightful spot on top. Bravo gentlemen

IMG_3101.jpeg

Apologies for the decompression post, fairly cathartic though. :D

Round 1: Weird round. I made Marmill be the lead off on the tee and he was a stud. That Mizuno driver was money all weekend, and it let me just try to go over the top on the second drive. And after the first couple holes I did all day. But we hit such weird numbers all day. We had 145 yards in no less that 6 time and 70-80 yards almost as many. Which have to be the worst two yardages in my bag. Between us, hitting off center cut 290+ yard drives all day, we had 1 GIR outside the par 5s. We cleaned up a lot of 4-8 footers for par. Scoring could have been much worse.

Scott made some fantastic approach and pitch shots all day, and was nails on the green. His putting is way way better than a 20 whatever cap he is. Which was perfect for shamble off Trevors drives. I felt bad on a few par 3s where Trevor put it nicely on the green and had tap-in for 3/4 while Scott would play off the drive and 2 putt for a 3/2.

Surprise start on #10. After prepping for the tough start on #1 and #2 the switch kinda threw the game plan a bit. Trevor talking to the caddie on the first tee asking for a different line and then dropping it right where he said he was with a 300 carry was pretty intimidating. Marmill put and I tried to cut the corner, found it but tree trouble. Then came iron play. Rember perfect range session. I think we had 90 in. Full on chunk that went 40 yards. Marmill over the back on a not bad shot. I forget who but one of us scrambled for par. That would be the theme.

We both found the massive bunker in front of #11 green and made a mess of it. Scrambled for a 6/5

Bombs off 12, flip wedge in that I chunked and left short, same with marmill. Good 2 putt from off the green for a 4/3

I think we were 280 middle of the fairway on #13, Trevor cut the corner around 355. Lol. Horrific second shots from both of us. I was lucky to find mind waaay up on the hill left. 145 out, because of course, on a sandy lie. Absolutely thinned a 9i to 3 feet. Lol golf. Made it for a 4/3

Don’t remember the drives on 14 but it was another 80ish yard approach I think that somehow we messed up for another bogey/par.

15 missed green, scramble for bogey

16 deep deep right pin this day. Center fairway….145 out. Marmill bunker. Me fat short iron to the very front edge but I had to chip it to even do anything. Neither could get up and down another bogey.

I think it was walking off 16 green I asked Sean to call in the backups. +2, well back from the leaders, leaking oil. Double Jack and coke on the way.

Missed 17 green, couldn’t get up and down. Bogey.

18, marmill put one safe and I nearly cleared the second bunker right at the pin with an angry drive. This was the green one of us hit and two putted for a par. E at the turn and 5 shots back from WWG. Met with jack and cokes on the green and ready for a reset. WWG birdied 4 of the last 5 that first 9.

Scott had worn a (admittedly fabulous) bright surfboard polo this morning. The other 3 of us were rocking the logo’d puma polos. In true THP fashion he ran back to the casita at the turn to change shirts.

Back to #1. drive took us left of the bunker in perfect position to attack. Both missed the green, can’t get up and down. 5/4

#2 Trevor drove the green, rolled off slightly but crazy impressive. We had 80 in from the right rough. This was my GIR and 2 putt to par.

#3 back fringe, 2 putt par. More good rolls.

#4 good drive, both a little long on the green that you can’t be long on. Cant get chips close. Bogey back to +1

#5 good news is jack and coke was kicking in and another one was on the way. Biggest drive of the day with a nice tailwind. Sean gave us a 130#. We both put it in the bunker. Uuuuugh. Decent bunker shots but neither of us can find the bottom with the putt and settle for a par/birdie.

#6 both groups had about 40 yards in. surprise we shorted them both. Good roll for me and tapped in for par. Marmill hit a great putt from the fringe that die in the mouth one roll short. Still E overall.

#7 little over 200 in from the middle of the fairway. Neither of us hit the green but got up and down for a 4/3. We were now -5 on the par 5s and +4 on everything else.

#8 missed green just of the back edge but pin was front. Marmill great put to tap in range. I let it fly and rattled the pin for a 40 foot birdie.

#9 another gigantic drive on my nemesis hole……145 in. both flew the green missed the par putts but I was popping for the 5/4

-3 with absolutely no iron game to speak of. WWG continued the onslaught with 4 birdies, no bogeys.

Group moral was high, drivers were money. We were in the mix with the teams we thought could handle the next formats the best. Felt really lucky to be under par though.

Alt shot: Got to run it back with WWG and added Southern Twang and Budget golf squads.

Marmill took odds, I took evens.

Hole by hole memory isn’t as great but I remember board watching and seeing WWC and ST both birding #1 in alt shot and got me a little stressed. Ha.

Little loose on the tee shot on two, but marmill started hitting greens at this point. Probably let one slip with the 3 putt on #2. Par on #3. +1 through those first three holes felt really good.

I would like to forget #4. One of the few really bad holes we put out there all weekend -> Double. Twang and WWC had already put 3 strokes on us in alt shot.

What a bounce back though with a net eagle on #5. The first good approach shot I had hit since the range session. Burned the edge on the 20 footer for 3/2. but Our third net eagle on the par 5s of the day.

#6 wasn’t a bad bogey, but it feels worse when the other 3 groups are popping.

Pace was slow and I tend to rush too much in those situations and it got me by the end of this 9.

#7 #8 #9 limped in with 3 straight bogeys.

Alt shot is so tough. I felt we played better than we did in the morning overall but a few shots here and there and all of a sudden we are 3-5 back from the teams we wanted to keep pace with. Even par for day 1 was always the goal as we thought the shamble combined would be our best format.
Appreciate all the insight...love this!

@Deebo76 was definitely the better half of this pairing 🤣
Mannnn stop it. You were hitting bombs off the tee and chipping away better off those tight lies than me.

You two sound like an old married couple! :ROFLMAO:
Would have gone just "Old" but sure let's go with that.
Besides @Deebo76 would tell you that the description of "Old" was reserved for me.

Is it inappropriate to ask which is ham and which is egg?
If I get in a team event and you don't name us Ham and Greg...

@Deebo76 shoe game was smooth….me whiffing 4-5 short outs for bird was CRIMINAL
I was measuring up those Jordan's in the Locker Room....Just one size too small.

Back