CONTEST Live Update Thread – The 2024 WorldWide Golf Championship

Diatribe part dos.

Handful of us jumped out for a few holes on the back after alt-shot finished. I don’t know if it was the third jack and coke or just being able to relax from the competition for a second, I found something with the iron play.

The rest of Friday night was a blast. I think I started yelling at @ScoFoBG about how much of a legend he is and how much we all see and appreciate the effort he puts in to engaging with the forum all year round. I told him I had the authority to speak for everyone and if he needed any help, business or otherwise, to reach out. Sorry Scott, for the yelling part, ha. Past that, between the overindulgence of quesadillas earlier in the day and forgetting to eat dinner, I caught a bit of a flyer.

I’ve had better mornings on golf trips but it turned out to be a good thing. I would have stuffed myself with those fantastic little fried quails. But it was a protein bar and chilled tomato bisque for me. @MarMill and I did talk and recap the strategy the prior afternoon. Always knew hole 1 and 2 were survival. Which they were and I wasn’t quite back at baseline yet. +4 after those 2 holes.

Part of the strategy was expecting the mid-high caps to have some blowup holes (looking at you @mantan 😊) Also, playing with @KY Golfer and mantan was just a treat. I knew Chris prior and all the rumors youve heard are true. I know he didn’t have his best stuff but the attitude never changed. Anyways, will and I are each +2 and we look over at mantan -1 at that point. We knew we had to settle in.

Hit the green on #3, hallelujah. Not the best putts but escaped big numbers. (+5 after 3)

#4 all 4 of us hit good approaches, but the pin was tucked over a ridge right side. I was furthest but had the straightest putt. Pretty good lag to 4 feet. Marmill gets a line from Jimmy that is almost in the fringe at the top of the ridge. Hits it right to the spot, nearly stalls and track straight into the pin for an incredible birdie. (felt like the only break we got all day). (+4 after 4)

Feeling good about the par 5s we both missed the green deep. Marmill had an impossible angle that he hit great just to keep on the green and 2 putt for 5/4. I had a much easier chip and went right over the green. Made up for it with a pitch to 2 feet for 5/4 (+2 after 4)

#6 gave us trouble all weekend. #7 after getting in a bit of a groove, we sat in the fairway for about 15 minutes waiting for the green to clear. Left approaches short but not bad. Then as we approach the green marmill realizes he has lost his phone. Not a great mental space to be ever, ha. I was able to get the Chinese food called in for his family, but still led to some ugly short game work for both of us and after sitting greenside in 2, we net drop a stroke. (I lipped out 5 or 6 putts from here to the end of the round) We got the find-a-phone thingy to work on the next tee and Jimmy took a cart back to #7 fairway to retrieve. Gameface back on. But dropping those 3 shots on 6 and 7 probably cost us in the end. (+5 through 7)

#8 fairly easy pars for both of us.

#9 just a super well played hole for both of us. I burned another edge but still carded 4/3 and marmill got his second natural birdie of the front 9. (+3 through 9 after sitting at +5 through 3)

Feeling again like we are in a great place. Pacing well with southern twang after a slow start and just waiting for a blowup hole from them… passed on turn cocktails which probably would have helped with the nerves in retrospect.

#10 #11 #12 cruising along, trying not to make mistakes. Knew we had some pops in here. I got a horrible break going for the front of the green on 11. Pushed it a bit but it hung on the top lip of the right side bunker. With a stance in the bunker I was gripping halfway down the shaft. Its was a 50-60 yard shot with a sort club, awkward stance. Jimmy was awesome all day, but just as I was set he said “we don’t want to be long”. I decel’d hard and left it way way short. Couldn’t get the 2 putt from 90+ feet. Still -1 through that stretch. (+2 through 12)

Have to shout out #12 for southern twang. Both teams bombed drives and had about 50 yards in. myself KY and Marmill all suck at golf and left it on the front fringe. I don’t wish bad golf on anyone, but like I said we were waiting for a window. Mantan bladed the chip (first one I’d seen him miss all day) screaming liner into the top lip of the bunker, pops up and rolls out to about 3 feet. I lip out another putt for a bad bogey. Mantan calmly drops the putt for a 3/2.

We had a team meeting after that and knew they weren’t falling back and we were going to have to go get them. #13 was our last pops and we would have to fade 2 more from ST after that. We had been mostly lag putting and really pretty well but nothing had really fallen to this point except #4.

#13 we laid up too far back but both had decent thrids just short of a very front pin. I got aggressive with my putt, too much and, again, lipped out the comebacker.

#14 Decisions were made. I was pretty sure we needed at least 1 birdie here. Marmill went right, but I thought we would be able to play it. I talked myself out of the safe play to the fairway and hit one of my worst drives of the weekend. Marmills ended up being dead behind a clump of trees and we had to take mine in the sand. I played a miraculous 70 yard sand shot under a tree to the backstop leaving about 20 feet for birdie. Marmill hit a, probably better shot than me, but it caught the tiniest twig hanging down from the tree just enough to put it in the bunker again. I really feel I have to make the putt and juice it by 8 feet. Burned another edge on the comebacker. Another +3 hole and pretty much out of it.

#15 missed two long birdie putts. #16 unlucky on some good approaches. Burned another edge. #17 left a birdie putt just one rotation short after marmill won some vokeys with the tee shot. #18 marmill a smooth birdie to finish it out.

Southern Twang coasted in +1 over the last 5 with all the pressure on them, that was impressive in it’s own right. We were right, we would have to go catch them after that net eagle on 12, so consistent all weekend.

Even though it sunk us, #14 is such a great hole for that reason though. Get in position off the tee and we gain 2 strokes rather than drop 3.

Big thanks again to Scott, Scott, Steeve and Trevor for putting on a great show. Long goodbyes at lunch. Aztec Old Fashioned discovered. Planning for a Dallas meetup began in earnest (testing out some names but “The Deebowl” is winning right now)

Last edited:
Some of the recall for all the holes played here is impressive. Great write-ups!

Diatribe part dos.

Handful of us jumped out for a few holes on the back after alt-shot finished. I don’t know if it was the third jack and coke or just being able to relax from the competition for a second, I found something with the iron play.

The rest of Friday night was a blast. I think I started yelling at @ScoFoBG about how much of a legend he is and how much we all see and appreciate the effort he puts in to engaging with the forum all year round. I told him I had the authority to speak for everyone and if he needed any help, business or otherwise, to reach out. Sorry Scott, for the yelling part, ha. Past that, between the overindulgence of quesadillas earlier in the day and forgetting to eat dinner, I caught a bit of a flyer.

I’ve had better mornings on golf trips but it turned out to be a good thing. I would have stuffed myself with those fantastic little fried quails. But it was a protein bar and chilled tomato bisque for me. @MarMill and I did talk and recap the strategy the prior afternoon. Always knew hole 1 and 2 were survival. Which they were and I wasn’t quite back at baseline yet. +4 after those 2 holes.

Part of the strategy was expecting the mid-high caps to have some blowup holes (looking at you @mantan 😊) Also, playing with @KY Golfer and mantan was just a treat. I knew Chris prior and all the rumors youve heard are true. I know he didn’t have his best stuff but the attitude never changed. Anyways, will and I are each +2 and we look over at mantan -1 at that point. We knew we had to settle in.

Hit the green on #3, hallelujah. Not the best putts but escaped big numbers. (+5 after 3)

#4 all 4 of us hit good approaches, but the pin was tucked over a ridge right side. I was furthest but had the straightest putt. Pretty good lag to 4 feet. Marmill gets a line from Jimmy that is almost in the fringe at the top of the ridge. Hits it right to the spot, nearly stalls and track straight into the pin for an incredible birdie. (felt like the only break we got all day). (+4 after 4)

Feeling good about the par 5s we both missed the green deep. Marmill had an impossible angle that he hit great just to keep on the green and 2 putt for 5/4. I had a much easier chip and went right over the green. Made up for it with a pitch to 2 feet for 5/4 (+2 after 4)

#6 gave us trouble all weekend. #7 after getting in a bit of a groove, we sat in the fairway for about 15 minutes waiting for the green to clear. Left approaches short but not bad. Then as we approach the green marmill realizes he has lost his phone. Not a great mental space to be ever, ha. I was able to get the Chinese food called in for his family, but still led to some ugly short game work for both of us and after sitting greenside in 2, we net drop a stroke. (I lipped out 5 or 6 putts from here to the end of the round) We got the find-a-phone thingy to work on the next tee and Jimmy took a cart back to #7 fairway to retrieve. Gameface back on. But dropping those 3 shots on 6 and 7 probably cost us in the end. (+5 through 7)

#9 just a super well played hole for both of us. I burned another edge but still carded 4/3 and marmill got his second natural birdie of the front 9. (+3 through 9 after sitting at +5 through 3)

Feeling again like we are in a great place. Pacing well with southern twang after a slow start and just waiting for a blowup hole from them… passed on turn cocktails which probably would have helped with the nerves in retrospect.

#10 #11 #12 cruising along, trying not to make mistakes. Knew we had some pops in here. I got a horrible break going for the front of the green on 11. Pushed it a bit but it hung on the top lip of the right side bunker. With a stance in the bunker I was gripping halfway down the shaft. Its was a 50-60 yard shot with a sort club, awkward stance. Jimmy was awesome all day, but just as I was set he said “we don’t want to be long”. I decel’d hard and left it way way short. Couldn’t get the 2 putt from 90+ feet. Still -1 through that stretch. (+2 through 12)

Have to shout out #12 for southern twang. Both teams bombed drives and had about 50 yards in. myself KY and Marmill all suck at golf and left it on the front fringe. I don’t wish bad golf on anyone, but like I said we were waiting for a window. Mantan bladed the chip (first one I’d seen him miss all day) screaming liner into the top lip of the bunker, pops up and rolls out to about 3 feet. I lip out another putt for a bad bogey. Mantan calmly drops the putt for a 3/2.

We had a team meeting after that and knew they weren’t falling back and we were going to have to go get them. #13 was our last pops and we would have to fade 2 more from ST after that. We had been mostly lag putting and really pretty well but nothing had really fallen to this point except #4.

#13 we laid up too far back but both had decent thrids just short of a very front pin. I got aggressive with my putt, too much and, again, lipped out the comebacker.

#14 Decisions were made. I was pretty sure we needed at least 1 birdie here. Marmill went right, but I thought we would be able to play it. I talked myself out of the safe play to the fairway and hit one of my worst drives of the weekend. Marmills ended up being dead behind a clump of trees and we had to take mine in the sand. I played a miraculous 70 yard sand shot under a tree to the backstop leaving about 20 feet for birdie. Marmill hit a, probably better shot than me, but it caught the tiniest twig hanging down from the tree just enough to put it in the bunker again. I really feel I have to make the putt and juice it by 8 feet. Burned another edge on the comebacker. Another +3 hole and pretty much out of it.

#15 missed two long birdie putts. #16 unlucky on some good approaches. Burned another edge. #17 left a birdie putt just one rotation short after marmill won some vokeys with the tee shot. #18 marmill a smooth birdie to finish it out.

Southern Twang coasted in +1 over the last 5 with all the pressure on them, that was impressive in it’s own right. We were right we, would have to go catch them after that net eagle on 12, so consistent all weekend.

Even though it sunk us, #14 is such a great hole for that reason though. Get in position off the tee and we gain 2 strokes rather than drop 3.

Big thanks again to Scott, Scott, Steeve and Trevor for putting on a great show. Long goodbyes at lunch. Aztec Old Fashioned discovered. Planning for a Dallas meetup began in earnest (testing out some names but “The Deebowl” is winning right now)

Always some post-event let down and saying bye to some awesome people, but I'm most sad this is the end of the road for Whiskey Buisiness. It was a silly dream that became reality. We lost it there for a second :LOL:, but cherished it when it returned.
I wasn't ready for it to be over.

Dec 13, 2022 - April 20, 2024

So who wants join forces and take down the Anime Gods?

I'm in.

Team Whiskey Business. :cool:

House Party Dancing GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Always some post-event let down and saying bye to some awesome people, but I'm most sad this is the end of the road for Whiskey Buisiness. It was a silly dream that became reality. We lost it there for a second :LOL:, but cherished it when it returned.
I wasn't ready for it to be over.

Dec 13, 2022 - April 20, 2024

House Party Dancing GIF by Amazon Prime Video
Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Diatribe part dos.

Southern Twang coasted in +1 over the last 5 with all the pressure on them, that was impressive in it’s own right. We were right we, would have to go catch them after that net eagle on 12, so consistent all weekend.

Love your recaps.

Diatribe part dos.

Southern Twang coasted in +1 over the last 5 with all the pressure on them, that was impressive in it’s own right. We were right, we would have to go catch them after that net eagle on 12, so consistent all weekend.

That bladed shot on 12! Yikes!! My short game is always on the edge of disaster. The golf gods thew me the biggest bone that I didn't deserve there. I couldn't believe I got away with it...and had to laugh when @Deebo76 gave me $hit about it from the 13th tee. :ROFLMAO: .

I think I putted everything I could have chipped for the rest of the round.

You and @MarMill are an absolute blast to play with. I honestly had no idea where we stood down the stretch. Probably intentionally. It's tough to make a run in a combined shamble, so I knew the day was going to be about avoiding the blowup hole(s). I just tried to keep it between the curbs all day.

You had a least 7 putts that burned the edge. I've never seen anything like it. So many good putts that weren't rewarded.

That bladed shot on 12! Yikes!! My short game is always on the edge of disaster. The golf gods thew me the biggest bone that I didn't deserve there. I couldn't believe I got away with it...and had to laugh when @Deebo76 gave me $hit about it from the 13th tee. :ROFLMAO: .

You and @MarMill are an absolute blast to play with. I honestly had no idea where we stood down the stretch. Probably intentionally. It's tough to make a run in a combined shamble, so I knew the day was going to be about avoiding the blowup hole(s). I just tried to keep it between the curbs all day.

You had a least 7 putts that burned the edge. I've never seen anything like it. So many good putts that weren't rewarded.
Pretty sure it was hole 7 that you and KY were in the cart "let's just play our game." Worked out well.

Pretty sure it was hole 7 that you and KY were in the cart "let's just play our game." Worked out well.
I asked him if he wanted me to look in on the leaderboard at all just to see where everyone stood. That was his reply. It probably helped a little down the stretch not looking. I know I probably would've had a little more pucker factor on those up and downs at 17. I also knew the way you guys played early on, you had to be close as well.

I'm personally "Shocked" to read that @Deebo76 would give anyone Sh!t after last weekend.

Diatribe part dos.

I was happy to see you boys again. Then to play together just took it up a notch. If just a few of those lip outs fall, we're having a different conversation. Let's not wait so long this time.

Love the recaps. This is one of my favorite events of the year and I love seeing how much fun you all had.

Love the recaps. This is one of my favorite events of the year and I love seeing how much fun you all had.

You'll appreciate that it took me and @MarMill until the back 9 of the last day to realize we are both OU grads!

#Boomer!

You'll appreciate that it took me and @MarMill until the back 9 of the last day to realize we are both OU grads!

#Boomer!
That is awesome. I didn’t go to OU due to scholarship elsewhere, but my school didn’t have athletics and I stayed a Sooner fan. Many of my family went there and I have a niece there now. I hope to meet you someday. The fact that you had two of my favorite THP’ers as partners is awesome. I wish @Parrot could have made it, but boy you won a second lottery with his replacement

That is awesome. I didn’t go to OU due to scholarship elsewhere, but my school didn’t have athletics and I stayed a Sooner fan. Many of my family went there and I have a niece there now. I hope to meet you someday. The fact that you had two of my favorite THP’ers as partners is awesome. I wish @Parrot could have made it, but boy you won a second lottery with his replacement
@mantan came out way ahead with @KY Golfer as a partner on and off the course.

Wife just texted me wanting to know what I bought at Briggs that would come in a big box. I said nothing, I brought what I bought home. She said, well a big box with Callaway on the side was just delivered from Fed Ex. Gonna have to leave the Plant now. Excitement has taken over because that can only mean one thing.

@baylrballa cue the music

Hell Yeah Dancing GIF by collin

Wife just texted me wanting to know what I bought at Briggs that would come in a big box. I said nothing, I brought what I bought home. She said, well a big box with Callaway on the side was just delivered from Fed Ex. Gonna have to leave the Plant now. Excitement has taken over because that can only mean one thing.

But, honey, I really did win it.

Go Away GIF by Bounce

That was FAST!!

Back