Finding Clubs on the Course

You did the right thing! I hope you get some good karma. I always turn in found clubs. I just feel its what I'd want

Always turn them in at the proshop, I have picked up lots of irons, wedges and putters and too many dang headcovers to count! They always get dropped at the proshop at my first opportunity.

Turning it in was the right thing to do. Hopefully the pro shop got it back to him! Nothing worse than losing a club and "no one" ever finding it. How does a club just disappear?

Yesterday I was met with a very difficult decision. On the 8th green of my local course I found a brand new 60° Vokey Wedge. My next planned purchase is, you guessed it, a 60° Vokey Wedge. I asked everyone I could see if it was theirs and when I finished my round I took it by the clubhouse. The employee said he just got a call from the mildly distraught owner who said, "it's a brand new Vokey, no one is ever going to turn it in!"

So what is everyone's "karma policy" on found equipment? Should I buy a lottery ticket, expect an ace or just appreciate getting to demo a nice 60° for a few holes?

You did the correct thing by turning it in. Even a thought of keeping it is the wrong thought each and every time. At my course, found clubs are marked with a tag with the finders name, number and the date, and if the club is not claimed in 6 months, the finder gets it first. If the finder does not claim it then, it is simply sold.

I'm not sure on your statement of "getting to demo it a few holes". I say no I guess. If I left a club behind, I would hope it wouldn't get wacked around before it gets turned in.

You made a wonderful decision there. I have lost about $500 worth of wedges in the last two years by leaving them on or by the green. In one instance, they turned in my friends crappy wedge and kept my good one.

Really.....That many wedges lost? In nearly 40 years of playing I've never left a single club behind. I know it happens, but I keep my eye on everything I guess.

Returning them is for sure the right thing to do...

I don't think the OP questioned whether to turn it in, just whether he should expect some specific good Karma.

I used to be one of the worst about leaving clubs greenside, but I usually got the clubs back. After being forced to buy, not 1, but 2 replacement 8 irons for my first ever custom fit PING irons, I got cured. Now I either lay my clubs on the flagstick, or on the green between the hole and my cart (or bag if I'm walking). I still cannot believe people would walk off with a random 8 iron - particularly one that has someone else's name etched into the hosel - but I guess some people will grab anything. I think a nice Vokey wedge would seem to be much more tempting.

I always turn stuff in, but I haven't gained much Karma from that. Last Fall I left my rangefinder in the basket of my cart when I turned it in, and the course never found it. I basically blame the cart cleaning guys for that one, and there's only 2 of them.

If that had happened to me I would have "discreetly" checked out their bags on the groups behind me as they came in. That's really crappy....

Maybe, probably would have ended with somebody getting hurt though. I think I know who it was took it, one of those things you don't forget.

I don't expect karma, but when you find someone else's club on the course, it's not yours. This sounds blunt, but basically you're stealing from the person that left the club out there. Everyone may not agree with that, but that's my opinion.

You could also look at it the other way: if you left a club out there, would you want someone to turn it back in or put it in their own bag?

THIS^^^ Perfectly said.

Yeah to be honest I never thought about keeping it, it was simply too ironic. It felt like one of those moments that life throws at you to make sure that you aren't a SOB. I found it humorous that literally the day before, I said to myself, "now I just got to get that Vokey and I'll be right where I want".

It helps that my regular playing partner is the worst about leaving his gear on the course. Yesterday (after finding the wedge) I literally had to tell him to turn around because he was walking up the fairway with his ENTIRE bag still on the tee box!!

I'm glad you had a good round and it looks like your handicap is dropping. We should get out again sometime.

I agree Rob. I've been putting more time into it and would certainly like to get another THP round going.

I always turn the clubs in, even if I suspect the guys at in the Pro Shop are going to keep the club.

I once follwed a foursome of women on our local puny muni and literally on every hole, one of them, sometimes two would leave a club. I could have ended up with a whole set of clubs! haha

I always turn clubs in. Not for karma purposes, just the right thing to do. I've left clubs and dropped headcovers, and was glad when someone turned them in.

I always turn it in like everyone else said. I have to be honest, the fact that you used it is kinda wrong to me as well. What if the guy came back looking for his club and saw you using it. I know I would be super pizzed off. Just my 2 cents.

I'd just be happy that the lad found it and would not be fussed if he had used it, used it and damaged it is another thing

I don't expect karma, but when you find someone else's club on the course, it's not yours. This sounds blunt, but basically you're stealing from the person that left the club out there. Everyone may not agree with that, but that's my opinion.

You could also look at it the other way: if you left a club out there, would you want someone to turn it back in or put it in their own bag?

It is stealing - 100% correct on that.

I always turn them in, it never occurs to me not to.

Last year I dropped a bran new FJ wind vest at my old course. Went to the shop multiple times and it was never handed in.

I hate that ****! If it ain't yours do the right thing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe in karma, I believe in doing the right thing though, and you did the right thing. Turning the found club in is the right thing.

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

I always turn the clubs in, even if I suspect the guys at in the Pro Shop are going to keep the club.

I once follwed a foursome of women on our local puny muni and literally on every hole, one of them, sometimes two would leave a club. I could have ended up with a whole set of clubs! haha

If you are playing somewhere that has people there that would keep a club turned in, I would find another place to play. I must really be lucky to live and play where I play.

My buddy left his brand new gw on the putting green and in less then 20 min we realized it.. Went back and it was gone and no one turned it in..

How many people use ID labels on their clubs? I keep saying I will but I have yet to do it.

My thought is if someone might just take it, there is a chance they might change their mind if they see a name on it. And if they just turn it in, then the course has someone to call.

I've never found a club on a course but I've found a few headcovers and make a point to turn them in

It was funny one time I had dropped my hybrid headcover so I walked around the course to find it (it was just a par 3 course so it wasn't that bad of a walk) and I ended up finding another headcover so I made sure to turn it in

Yesterday I was met with a very difficult decision. On the 8th green of my local course I found a brand new 60° Vokey Wedge. My next planned purchase is, you guessed it, a 60° Vokey Wedge. I asked everyone I could see if it was theirs and when I finished my round I took it by the clubhouse. The employee said he just got a call from the mildly distraught owner who said, "it's a brand new Vokey, no one is ever going to turn it in!"

So what is everyone's "karma policy" on found equipment? Should I buy a lottery ticket, expect an ace or just appreciate getting to demo a nice 60° for a few holes?

I find a lot of stuff on the course...even turned in a 1 dollar bill. Figured some kid lost it and it might ruin his day. No one even tried to claim it...:D (it ended up going in the tip jar for the gals at the snack shack. )

Name labels are a good idea..

This helps allot. Brother makes a cheap label maker. Get the clear tape won't distract your eye.
This reminds me I need a new label machine last one broke.

How many people use ID labels on their clubs? I keep saying I will but I have yet to do it.

My thought is if someone might just take it, there is a chance they might change their mind if they see a name on it. And if they just turn it in, then the course has someone to call.

I use labels on everything, clubs, bag, ball retriever, etc. The ones I order are very durable vinyl labels, I think it's something like golfclublabels.com. Order online and get them in the mail in a few days. I have ordered from them many times with no problems. I ordered foil labels once but they weren't very durable, the words rubbed off pretty quickly.

Seriously, this is a question?

edit: After not skimming I better understand the question. I just turn em in and that's that.

Back