Finding Clubs on the Course

TheHeez

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I was met with a very difficult decision. On the 8th green of my local course I found a brand new 60° Vokey Wedge. My next planned purchase is, you guessed it, a 60° Vokey Wedge. I asked everyone I could see if it was theirs and when I finished my round I took it by the clubhouse. The employee said he just got a call from the mildly distraught owner who said, "it's a brand new Vokey, no one is ever going to turn it in!"

So what is everyone's "karma policy" on found equipment? Should I buy a lottery ticket, expect an ace or just appreciate getting to demo a nice 60° for a few holes?

Turn it in. If you don't trust the people there, keep it but leave your name and number.

The question is, how would you want someone to handle a club you lost? Keep it or turn it in? There's your answer.

I don't expect karma, but when you find someone else's club on the course, it's not yours. This sounds blunt, but basically you're stealing from the person that left the club out there. Everyone may not agree with that, but that's my opinion.

You could also look at it the other way: if you left a club out there, would you want someone to turn it back in or put it in their own bag?

Expect nothing and hope somebody does the same for you :) I was following a real forgetful guy last weekend. Ended up picking up a putter cover and a JPX 800 iron on different holes for him.

Yesterday I was met with a very difficult decision. On the 8th green of my local course I found a brand new 60° Vokey Wedge. My next planned purchase is, you guessed it, a 60° Vokey Wedge. I asked everyone I could see if it was theirs and when I finished my round I took it by the clubhouse. The employee said he just got a call from the mildly distraught owner who said, "it's a brand new Vokey, no one is ever going to turn it in!"

So what is everyone's "karma policy" on found equipment? Should I buy a lottery ticket, expect an ace or just appreciate getting to demo a nice 60° for a few holes?

You made a wonderful decision there. I have lost about $500 worth of wedges in the last two years by leaving them on or by the green. In one instance, they turned in my friends crappy wedge and kept my good one.

You made a wonderful decision there. I have lost about $500 worth of wedges in the last two years by leaving them on or by the green. In one instance, they turned in my friends crappy wedge and kept my good one.

You need to start laying your wedges on the flagstick. This helps me make sure they don't get left behind.

Turn it in to the pro shop always. Finding and stealing are often confused. I left a brand new 588 SW that I had just put into play on a green and when I backtracked after playing two or three more holes somehow nobody had seen it and it wasn't where I had left it, somebody was lying and had it and wanted to keep it.

I've always turned it in. It's very rare I find a club and finish my round with it still in my bag. Most of the time they come looking for it but I've always turned it in because I sure hope that's what someone would do for me.

Turn it in to the pro shop always. Finding and stealing are often confused. I left a brand new 588 SW that I had just put into play on a green and when I backtracked after playing two or three more holes somehow nobody had seen it and it wasn't where I had left it, somebody was lying and had it and wanted to keep it.

If that had happened to me I would have "discreetly" checked out their bags on the groups behind me as they came in. That's really crappy....

I always turn it in like everyone else said. I have to be honest, the fact that you used it is kinda wrong to me as well. What if the guy came back looking for his club and saw you using it. I know I would be super pizzed off. Just my 2 cents.

I could never live with myself keeping the club, I've had folks do the right thing and the wrong thing for me and nothing angers me more than a thief! I was surprised that the guy that lost it assumed that no one would return it. Sad state of affairs if that is the norm.

DevRickus, you know what, I actually didn't use it. I was playing a good round and am not used to a 60°. I even kept it out of my bag so if the guy showed up it didn't look like I was stealing it! Awkward....

Turn it in. If you don't trust the people there, keep it but leave your name and number.

The question is, how would you want someone to handle a club you lost? Keep it or turn it in? There's your answer.

^^^this^^^ without question I would do all I can to make sure it gets back to the owner.

You did the right thing, Karma owes you one, get the lottery ticket

Umm what?

You need to start laying your wedges on the flagstick. This helps me make sure they don't get left behind.

Yeah, I try to do that, but I forget that as well sometimes.

Yeah, I try to do that, but I forget that as well sometimes.

You need to start playing with nicer people...haha I ask everyone after every hole if they have all their clubs. I have left clubs before so it is a bit of an OCD habit of mine now.

Turn it in.

Funny story. My brother is a member at a upscale private country club. He left a wedge on a green one time and whatever member found it didn't turn it in! Ain't that some shiiiiii.

U did the right thing no doubt about it

U did the right thing no doubt about it

Plus the reverse Karma would have been bad. Every bad shot you hit had you kept that other fellows wedge would be like Karma biting you.

You did the right thing for sure. I woud do like a lot of the others said though by leaving your name and number.

When I worked at a course we had a full bin of lost clubs. It's amazing what some people lose and never come to get. I'm talking drivers and wedges more than anything. They stayed there for a season and if no one came to get them, we donated them to the Special Olympic team that golfed our course once a week.

I can understand losing wedges and irons but how do you lose a driver?

Last edited:
Drivers are usually left leaning against the portable "facilities" or for courses lacking them, trees, when nature calls.

You did the right thing turning in the club. The Vokey 60 is a great club and I think your karma move is to go buy one and make it yours. That, plus a lottery ticket of course.
The California MegaMillions jackpot tonight is a whopping $290 Million for tonight's drawing. You could BUY your favorite course most likely and stash Vokey 60s all over the place to find later.

I'm glad you had a good round and it looks like your handicap is dropping. We should get out again sometime.

Back