Edel SMS Pro Iron Review

I think these might still have a magic number in them to finish the 2023 season.
Got my magic number yesterday, and some really nice compliments on my approach play all day. The less I try to do with these clubs the better the results turn out, and that takes an awful lot of stress out of my game. Still amazed at the ease of use of the long irons and I doubt the thought of a combo set will linger at all in the off-season. Very happy I got the opportunity to test these this year, I’ve had some incredible rounds of golf with them, and they’ve set a very high bar in terms of what I want to see/hear/feel out of my irons.

End of season wrap-up:
I kind of planned to hopefully shootout the SMS I received at last years Quest Cup with the Pro irons I got this year, but it was kind of a one-sided test as the season went on. I had some apprehension going into the year as this is my first foray into the world of a “players iron”, and between reading through the excellent review @Jman put up, and my swing coach saying “your going to need a big set of ⚽🏀 to play those”, I wasn’t really sure how this was going to go. I started off the season around a 13 HCP, maybe not the target audience for an iron in this category, with an average GIR % of 25%. As mentioned, I am a bit of a range rat, I hit a fair amount of golf balls, so regardless of my failure or success this year as it pertains to my goals, I wanted to give these a fair shake.
IMG_8696.jpeg
This is an attractive profile as far as an iron goes - great shape, on the smaller side, sets up very nicely behind the ball, and in my opinion, a very nice brushed finish. I’ve never played a chrome iron, I prefer the matte finishes, and this one is really well done. The milling lines on the sole add a really nice industrial touch to the package, and the machining on the weight ports is crisp. Edel does a really nice job on fit and finish with their products, and the way they package up your new sticks shows a level of care and pride in what they have put together for you. As far as what I saw on course this year, the easiest way for me to explain it would be “enough for me to forget about last years irons”. I did have a bit of a break-in period with these, and some ups and downs, but I kind of expected that. This is not a package that will let you get away with a ton of mistakes, but will reward you massively for confident swings. I did a lot less moving around of the weights this season, I sort of settled in with the heaviest weight in the center port and played a majority of my rounds with that configuration. Here are some quick pros and cons from what I saw this year.
Cons:
- pricier option than some others in the category
- weight ports gathered some dirt/grime in the threads that I had to carefully clean out (didn’t want to strip threads)
- there was a few rounds I noticed the weights a bit loose and had to tighten them on-course
- Unfortunately, there are limited fitting options for us up here, and I would have loved to go through a fitting for these and see what some other weight/shaft options might have produced for me.
Pros:
- these irons handle a thin miss very well, I still saw some pretty good results on swings I did not expect to get decent launch
- the tri-sole handled a pretty good mix of conditions/turf for me this year. I played everything from bone dry to soup sandwich, and they cut through everything
- I didn’t really experience the distance loss I thought I might - the SMS irons were LONG for me, and the Pros are no slouch either. Very consistent carry, spin, etc, everything I hoped to see in that regard they delivered
- my preferred shot shape is a draw, and these irons delivered it for me. Cue up spicy trajectory music @OldandStiff
- despite me hitting…..hundreds of golf balls with these, they are soft and dense and delicious, but also hard wearing. They might cost a few dollars more, but I think the investment is probably worth it. This feels like an iron set that is a long-term investment, and will only look better with more age/bag chatter (if that’s your thing)
IMG_8697.jpeg
IMG_8698.jpeg
IMG_8699.jpeg
IMG_8700.jpeg
IMG_8701.jpeg
IMG_8702.jpeg
I shot some memory book rounds with these this season, including my first time breaking 80, an even par 9 holes, and a new PB of 75 (+3). These feel like my irons now, they helped me drop down to a 9 HCP (maybe still not in the target audience for these 😂) but I plan on having them in my bag for 2024. Big thanks to @JB, @EdelBlake, and the crew at :edelgolf: for the opportunity to test these out this year.

Last edited:
End of season wrap-up:
I kind of planned to hopefully shootout the SMS I received at last years Quest Cup with the Pro irons I got this year, but it was kind of a one-sided test as the season went on. I had some apprehension going into the year as this is my first foray into the world of a “players iron”, and between reading through the excellent review @Jman put up, and my swing coach saying “your going to need a big set of ⚽🏀 to play those”, I wasn’t really sure how this was going to go. I started off the season around a 13 HCP, maybe not the target audience for an iron in this category, with an average GIR % of 25%. As mentioned, I am a bit of a range rat, I hit a fair amount of golf balls, so regardless of my failure or success this year as it pertains to my goals, I wanted to give these a fair shake.
View attachment 9213712
This is an attractive profile as far as an iron goes - great shape, on the smaller side, sets up very nicely behind the ball, and in my opinion, a very nice brushed finish. I’ve never played a chrome iron, I prefer the matte finishes, and this one is really well done. The milling lines on the sole add a really nice industrial touch to the package, and the machining on the weight ports is crisp. Edel does a really nice job on fit and finish with their products, and the way they package up your new sticks shows a level of care and pride in what they have put together for you. As far as what I saw on course this year, the easiest way for me to explain it would be “enough for me to forget about last years irons”. I did have a bit of a break-in period with these, and some ups and downs, but I kind of expected that. This is not a package that will let you get away with a ton of mistakes, but will reward you massively for confident swings. I did a lot less moving around of the weights this season, I sort of settled in with the heaviest weight in the center port and played a majority of my rounds with that configuration. Here are some quick pros and cons from what I saw this year.
Cons:
- weight ports gathered some dirt/grime in the threads that I had to carefully clean out (didn’t want to strip threads)
- there was a few rounds I noticed the weights a bit loose and had to tighten them on-course
- Unfortunately, there are limited fitting options for us up here, and I would have loved to go through a fitting for these and see what some other weight/shaft options might have produced for me.
Pros:
- these irons handle a thin miss very well, I still saw some pretty good results on swings I did not expect to get decent launch
- the tri-sole handled a pretty good mix of conditions/turf for me this year. I played everything from bone dry to soup sandwich, and they cut through everything
- I didn’t really experience the distance loss I thought I might - the SMS irons were LONG for me, and the Pros are no slouch either. Very consistent carry, spin, etc, everything I hoped to see in that regard they delivered
- my preferred shot shape is a draw, and these irons delivered it for me. Cue up spicy trajectory music @OldandStiff
- despite me hitting…..hundreds of golf balls with these, they are soft and dense and delicious, but also hard wearing. They might cost a few dollars more, but I think the investment is probably worth it. This feels like an iron set that is a long-term investment, and will only look better with more age/bag chatter (if that’s your thing)
View attachment 9213724
View attachment 9213725
View attachment 9213726
View attachment 9213727
View attachment 9213729
View attachment 9213731
I shot some memory book rounds with these this season, including my first time breaking 80, an even par 9 holes, and a new PB of 75 (+3). These feel like my irons now, they helped me drop down to a 9 HCP (maybe still not in the target audience for these 😂) but I plan on having them in my bag for 2024. Big thanks to @JB, @EdelBlake, and the crew at :edelgolf: for the opportunity to test these out this year.
Fantastic.
Watching your progress in this game with this gear has been awe inspiring

The size difference between the standard SMS and the SMS Pro is staggering. I didn’t expect that.

Fantastic.
Watching your progress in this game with this gear has been awe inspiring
Appreciate it sir 🙏. It’s been a fun ride with the SMS gear. I think a lot of people could benefit from the technology, and this season it became pretty clear that the more you are attempting to shave down those numbers, the more critical it might be to have gear that works, and that you have trust in. The crew over at Edel have something pretty special on their hands here.

End of season wrap-up:
View attachment 9213712
Cons:
Pros:
View attachment 9213724
View attachment 9213725
View attachment 9213726
View attachment 9213727
View attachment 9213729
View attachment 9213731
really really cool to see you enjoy them so much, especially since my handicap is a smidge higher than what you got yours down to. After hitting @Wildcat 's Pros in Kentucky, I can't stop thinking about them. I don't know if I could hit the 5i or even 6i well, but I know I could play the 7i-W. they look and feel so good!

really really cool to see you enjoy them so much, especially since my handicap is a smidge higher than what you got yours down to. After hitting @Wildcat 's Pros in Kentucky, I can't stop thinking about them. I don't know if I could hit the 5i or even 6i well, but I know I could play the 7i-W. they look and feel so good!
I was so impressed with the wedge game you had with them

I was so impressed with the wedge game you had with them
the wedges have not left my thoughts either. there was a nice level of consistency I was getting with them. still annoyed at myself for not hitting any of them on the range or during our round. 🤦‍♂️

Honestly I think it’s a really playable profile, and much more forgiving than one would assume. Plus they are ready made to combo!

I was afraid of the choice that I made. Who am I to play such things? The pros aren’t something I even considered in a very long time.

But the Pros surprised me. Easier and more forgiving than I deserve. Obviously the SMS helps and can deliver a custom fitting.

But the thing is, what no one can describe is the feeling of hitting a Pro solid. It just puts a smile on your face. Flushing it just doesn’t describe. You know before you even see the ball. And it happens a lot more than you think.

And I know it’s just not me. I will let anyone try. And I don’t have to see the ball I see faces. It’s not always positive and it shouldn’t be. This is a players cb iron that gives feedback. But when a golfer hits one of these and feels how pure these are….. the expression on there face is all you need to know.

The size difference between the standard SMS and the SMS Pro is staggering. I didn’t expect that.
I tried and tried to tell people. Haha

Pro’s are TINY.

Honestly I think it’s a really playable profile, and much more forgiving than one would assume. Plus they are ready made to combo!
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Put another few swings on the Pro 7i today and these are fun to swing - that same chase for solid strikes that I began the season with is going to be here all winter. Looking forward to swapping out the grips for something different next weekend, these Tour Velvets have not been my favourite this year.

End of season wrap-up:
View attachment 9213712
Cons:
Pros:
View attachment 9213724
View attachment 9213725
View attachment 9213726
View attachment 9213727
View attachment 9213729
View attachment 9213731

I couldn’t agree with you more that easy smooth and balanced swinging with these clubs produce the best results. I have to remind myself that when I get to the longer irons because for some reason I feel I need to swing those harder, and that could not be further from the truth.
do less paul rudd GIF by Eric

Last edited:
I hit @Wildcat 5 iron the other day. Goodness, I forgot how beautiful these things are. Arguably one of the best feeling shots I’ve hit in awhile as well. I could game these and forget about that part of the bad for a few years I think.

Pro 7 iron got a number of swings yesterday at my lesson and my coach was really complimentary about a few things, including a consistently high smash factor, the ball speed #'s, and the forgiveness on off-center strikes. There's some voodoo in these when you get the weight in the right spot.

Picked the Pros up from the spa today after a quick tune-up (bend 2° flat, reset lofts back to factory, regrip with MCC black/white). Immediately back in the bag after a few garage swings. The feel of these is incredible - I know we’re still “patiently” waiting to find out details on equipment for next years Quest Cup, but YOU NEED EDEL EQUIPMENT, no matter what it is. I never saw myself playing a players cavity, but these things are never leaving the collection.

Picked the Pros up from the spa today after a quick tune-up (bend 2° flat, reset lofts back to factory, regrip with MCC black/white). Immediately back in the bag after a few garage swings. The feel of these is incredible - I know we’re still “patiently” waiting to find out details on equipment for next years Quest Cup, but YOU NEED EDEL EQUIPMENT, no matter what it is. I never saw myself playing a players cavity, but these things are never leaving the collection.
They haven’t left my ponder storm. #need

Late to the party. What's been everyone's favorite weight setup in these?

I change throughout the set. But weight in the toe for long irons, center for short irons.

Center all around. Might need to experiment with that after adjusting lofts, but maybe that’s a question for @EdelBlake!

Back