Edel SMS Pro Iron Review

For anybody that did the split set, can you talk a little bit about the transition from standard to Pro?
As a guy who loves asking questions (šŸ˜), I didnā€™t want this one going unanswered, and seeing as how Iā€™m in a unique position to comboā€¦..basically anywhere, what better day than today. Out of the bag (a combo that makes sense):
U505 4i (w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 80g S)
SMS Pro 5-6 (w/ Project X LZ 6.0)
In the bag (some sort of bizarro world internet golfers dream):
SMS 4-6 (w/ Recoil 110ā€™s and fancy ferrules for @JB)
IMG_8484.jpeg
I figured this would be a good place to start, as one of the things Rob (my swing coach) and I discussed earlier this year was the fact that if I had not gotten some THP magic, he probably would have suggested I look at comboing a set of irons, and putting me into something more player-ey at the 7 or 8. Ball striking has been pretty strong the last few rounds, but the U505 has been a pretty reliable club for me so I was hoping to get a chance to take a 4i off the deck in a situation that counted, and hopefully get a good result. As it turned out, I got to almost play every club in the bag today, and the SMS/SMS Pros make a heck of a combination.
IMG_8478.jpeg
Par 3 6i from 182 into wind
IMG_8482.jpeg
218 to pin, SMS 4i result below
IMG_8483.jpeg
Visually both irons present pretty similar - a small amount of offset, very nice transitions from hosel to top line, and if you arenā€™t confident looking down at a smaller top line at the 6i, and want some extra mass behind the ball and that extra forgiveness, the standard SMS has plenty.
IMG_8479.jpeg
IMG_8480.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg
Launch and peak height were pretty similar from both standard and Pro, and it was really nice seeing that 6i spin and stop from what Iā€™ve sort of grown accustomed to how the Pro irons will most of the time. Edel did a fantastic job putting both of these together, and Iā€™d say they are pretty well suited to combo just about anywhere.

Last edited:
As a guy who loves asking questions (šŸ˜), I didnā€™t want this one going unanswered, and seeing as how Iā€™m in a unique position to comboā€¦..basically anywhere, what better day than today. Out of the bag (a combo that makes sense):
U505 4i (w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 80g S)
SMS Pro 5-6 (w/ Project X LZ 6.0)
In the bag (some sort of bizarro world internet golfers dream):
SMS 4-6 (w/ Recoil 110ā€™s and fancy ferrules for @JB)
View attachment 9201543
I figured this would be a good place to start, as one of the things Rob (my swing coach) and I discussed earlier this year was the fact that if I had not gotten some THP magic, he probably would have suggested I look at comboing a set of irons, and putting me into something more player-ey at the 7 or 8. Ball striking has been pretty strong the last few rounds, but the U505 has been a pretty reliable club for me so I was hoping to get a chance to take a 4i off the deck in a situation that counted, and hopefully get a good result. As it turned out, I got to almost play every club in the bag today, and the SMS/SMS Pros make a heck of a combination.
View attachment 9201544
Par 3 6i from 182 into wind
View attachment 9201545
218 to pin, SMS 4i result below
View attachment 9201546
Visually both irons present pretty similar - a small amount of offset, very nice transitions from hosel to top line, and if you arenā€™t confident looking down at a smaller top line at the 6i, and want some extra mass behind the ball and that extra forgiveness, the standard SMS has plenty.
View attachment 9201551
View attachment 9201552
View attachment 9201553
Launch and peak height were pretty similar from both standard and Pro, and it was really nice seeing that 6i spin and stop from what Iā€™ve sort of grown accustomed to how the Pro irons will most of the time. Edel did a fantastic job putting both of these together, and Iā€™d say they are pretty well suited to combo just about anywhere.
Thank you and thatā€™s what I was kind of thinking.

Two of my good friends picked up sets of these and have been insanely impressed with them. I think Edel really hit the mark here with these. Maybe the ports at the back don't appeal to everyone, however the performance they are getting is just as good if not better than anything else they have been placing recently.

Plus Edel just has a great fitting system which anyone who I have talked to and has gone through the fitting has raved about. Unfortunately being a lefty this is something I am unlikely to experience anytime soon!

That is one good looking bag! If a set GW was offered I might have gone that direction. Although I will say with as good as the 54 deg D-grind wedge has been for me and what Iā€™ve been reading here in terms of reviews Iā€™d be lying if I said it hasnā€™t crossed my mind to pick up a few.

How much ball striking forgiveness do you think you are giving up when switching between the two?

That is one good looking bag! If a set GW was offered I might have gone that direction. Although I will say with as good as the 54 deg D-grind wedge has been for me and what Iā€™ve been reading here in terms of reviews Iā€™d be lying if I said it hasnā€™t crossed my mind to pick up a few.

How much ball striking forgiveness do you think you are giving up when switching between the two?
Good question. Iā€™ll probably keep this combo going and play it a few more rounds, and maybe sub out at the 6i mark as playing from our blue tees that seems to be a number that gets called more often than 5. I think in my experience the SMS have a bit more of that strike location masking that seems to be common in a players distance iron, you definitely donā€™t get that with the Pros. A bad strike will show up in all sorts of feedback there, but Iā€™ve had some thin misses with the Pros turn out much better than I probably deserved - potentially because of the weighting being in a good spot. I will say Iā€™d be a lot more comfortable taking on that par 5 approach shot with the SMS 4i than the Pro at this date, whether or not I could tell afterwards exactly where on the face I hit it or not šŸ˜.

Got results better than I probably deserved tonight from the combo set. Despite putting a few not-great feeling swings on them, I was pin-high with my misses, still got a very reasonable flight, and was able to eke out a pretty good score tonight. Really impressed still with the PW as a greenside club, itā€™s opened up a few more shots around the greens for me, and converted one into a nice up-and-down tonight. I arrived on course to find freshly punched and sanded greens, which means our season is starting to wind down here, but Iā€™m happy that Iā€™ll get all winter with these to play around with.

I liked what I saw out of the SMS long irons, but I really like the short irons. The course we played today was in great shape, very lush and soft, and all things SMS just ripped through the turf. I occasionally get caught up in some of the data Iā€™m collecting this year, and some rounds Iā€™ve played at my home course have featured very few GIRs despite me feeling like Iā€™m having a pretty good ball striking day. Todays course had greens that were more on theā€¦.medium size, and I hit a lot of them. Iā€™m starting to understand the true draw of the combo set, forgiveness and that quiet confidence in knowing you can get away with maybe a little bit of sloppiness in the long irons, and some fangs in the scoring irons where things start to count. At this point last year, I was stretching my legs a bit, and playing other courses, wondering what score might show up. This year, Iā€™m doing the same thing, but showing up and feeling like Iā€™m growing as a player, and these irons seem primed to grow along with me.

I had best day ever with these Saturday!

I really wish more of you would give them a try and they were easier to find.

other than my own and the quest cup Iā€™ve not seen a single one on the course when they are So good

lots of people missing out on these.

Last edited:
I hadnā€™t best day ever with these Saturday!

other than my own and the quest cup Iā€™ve not seen a single one on the course when they are So good

Iā€™ve had lots of curious onlookers in and around my bag this year. Itā€™s like the best kept secret that shouldnā€™t be a secret.

Iā€™ve had lots of curious onlookers in and around my bag this year. Itā€™s like the best kept secret that shouldnā€™t be a secret.

I hadnā€™t best day ever with these Saturday!

You hit them well today, and the wedges even better. You had some seriously good flop shots.

I played the par 3ā€™s on our front 9 at -1 tonight, with 3/3 GIR. I did not have that on my bingo card for the season, but these just continue to impress. I have no plans to stop working on things, but Iā€™ll never have a perfect swing. That being said, these feel like a set of irons with as much potential to improve as I do, and Iā€™ve scored this year at times with the SMS Pros like I have that potential. Pretty forgiving, long, powerful, and sound great - whatā€™s not to like?

Split set didn't last long and the 5/6 Pro were back in the bag yesterday for a windy one at my home course. 9/18 GIR despite what felt like a 2-club wind, and I got a few really nice compliments on these from my playing partner.
"Good looking set of irons"
"Sound is crisp"
Still chasing the chip-in with the Pro PW - got one about a revolution short yesterday but I'll take a tap-in birdie all day long. As much as I'd love to talk about a nasty trajectory iron for the shot of the day, one of my favorites was actually on 18. I try to avoid the left side if at all possible, as overhanging branches make for a tough approach, but that's where I found myself yesterday, about 85 yards out. Two front bunkers make for a narrow target area leading up to the green, but I was able to thread a 7i bump and run all the way to the green to finish with a stress-free 2-putt par. I've played some pretty good golf with these this season, and I'm a little disappointed it's coming to a close soon.

Course was in really nice conditions yesterday, and the Pros did not disappoint. These have such a nice dense feel at impact, and frame the ball really well. I struggled a bit with the wind, both with yardage and direction, but the ball flight held up through the wind very well, and at my home course with smaller green complexes, I will take that pin high miss all day. I caught up to a guy on #18 and he was asking what those irons were in my bag and I let him take a swing with the Pro 7i, and one swing was all it took to ask how much a 4-PW set was šŸ˜‚. Iā€™m still loving the weight in the centre, and smooth tempo is rewarded by these clubs so much.

Couple of standouts today from todays round. 7i to a 186 pin, unfortunately did not hold the sandy green ā˜¹ļø.
IMG_8593.jpeg
And a 5i from 199 into the breeze to set up an eagle look. A few moments before this shot I mentioned to my playing partner that my 5i has primarily been a punch out club for me the last few rounds. After watching this one settle, he looked at me and laughed and said ā€œhell of a punch outā€.
IMG_8594.jpeg
Admittedly, Iā€™ve had a bit of a wandering eye as it pertains to the irons Iā€™ll be playing for 2024. A lot of exciting releases this year so far, and quite a few that I want to try. But - these keep impressing me. Forgiving, incredible to look at, and delivering the ball flights I want, when I need them. Come October they will be washed well, regripped, and in my hands for winter swing work, and I plan on having them in the bag next year.

Another round starting with a 7 tonight with these in the bag. I wish I had new stuff to say but Iā€™m just really impressed with these. One of my impressions of the standard SMS after we refit/reshafted was ā€œI donā€™t have to work hard with theseā€, and the Pros are starting to take that shape for me. Long irons are effortless and launch high - I was able to draw a 5i into the wind tonight on a long par 3 to set up a nice birdie look. Short irons feel crisp, spin well, and have given me more good looks this year than ever from 160 and in. Hitting greens is fun.

@ryang13 i know what you are saying about these clubs. Itā€™s awesome to see smooth balanced swings producing the results you can get with these.

Iā€™m impressed with that 199 5i, I can imagine how good that one felt.

@ryang13 i know what you are saying about these clubs. Itā€™s awesome to see smooth balanced swings producing the results you can get with these.

Iā€™m impressed with that 199 5i, I can imagine how good that one felt.
The long irons were kind of my only question mark going into this year. I was wondering if I was going to be tucking my tail in between my legs and splitting the set back to the relative safety of a thicker top line and chunkier sole in the 5/6 SMS, but I think itā€™s kind of a wash at this point. 5i wouldnā€™t have been considered ā€œattackā€ yardage before this, but they werenā€™t kidding about power and precision.

The long irons were kind of my only question mark going into this year. I was wondering if I was going to be tucking my tail in between my legs and splitting the set back to the relative safety of a thicker top line and chunkier sole in the 5/6 SMS, but I think itā€™s kind of a wash at this point. 5i wouldnā€™t have been considered ā€œattackā€ yardage before this, but they werenā€™t kidding about power and precision.

I know what you mean. Most days I wish I would of had the Pro 4i other days I wish I had the regular SMS through the 6i.

Like I said in my last post if you remember to not over swing these long irons are amazing

Iron play was a highlight today. I didnā€™t keep stats on the round besides score, but today was probably one of the highest GIR rounds I can recall from this year. Anytime I can play the par 3ā€™s at even is a good outing - that fancy Edel pitch mark tool got a workout this morning.

The last 2 scrambles I played in I absolutely loved the feel and looks of the irons. I have been playing a draw for the most part recently which I don't personally love playing but just going with it becuase I am striking the ball well. With that I have been seeing great ball flights, my distances have been right on... the only thing I am struggling with is my spin. Side spin and backspin. With the draw I have been having too much spin and its a little bit uncontrollable.

These still are what I consider the best Irons I have gamed. They look amazing, the feel of them are second to none. I struggled a little bit this year with my swing so the forgiveness was a struggle but I would not fault the clubs as much as I would my swing. I have not messed with the weights much this year... I played the heavy weight in the toe all season because that is what felt best to me.

My biggest struggle this year was hitting these out of the rough, I would catch it high on the face a lot of the time. I struggle getting the club to the ball through the rough but even with that it did not knock down my confidence with these irons. Also I hardly ever hit these long of my intended target.. I would come up short if I would miss, not sure if that was based on me just with bad club selection or not knowing my distances that well.....

These things are just a lot of fun to play, and have set a really high bar for me in what I want to see and feel out of my clubs. Iā€™m still sticking with the No tees on par 3ā€™s line of thought, and the tri-sole just glides off the deck. I didnā€™t expect these to be as long as they are either - I havenā€™t lost any distance compared to the SMS, and the powerful moniker is very fitting. One of our par 3ā€™s was playing 180 into a bit of a wind tonight, and 7i got me pin high. Unfortunately, our season is coming to a close very soon, I have a few more rounds booked for this week, but I think these might still have a magic number in them to finish the 2023 season.

These things are just a lot of fun to play, and have set a really high bar for me in what I want to see and feel out of my clubs. Iā€™m still sticking with the No tees on par 3ā€™s line of thought, and the tri-sole just glides off the deck. I didnā€™t expect these to be as long as they are either - I havenā€™t lost any distance compared to the SMS, and the powerful moniker is very fitting. One of our par 3ā€™s was playing 180 into a bit of a wind tonight, and 7i got me pin high. Unfortunately, our season is coming to a close very soon, I have a few more rounds booked for this week, but I think these might still have a magic number in them to finish the 2023 season.
I go no tees on par 3s too šŸ˜

I go no tees on par 3s too šŸ˜
Minnesota Twins Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

I was expecting something much different out of this testing for some reason. Not that Iā€™m not confident in the work that Iā€™ve put into my swing, or my ball striking, or my abilities to play an iron like this and continue to achieve the goals that Iā€™ve set for myself, I just sort of figured that maybe the regular SMS would be better suited for me in the long run - more distance, more forgiveness, etc. Anyways, I was wrong, and these things are awesome. I might never be ā€œshape the ball at willā€ guy, or ā€œhit every green in regulationā€ guy, but I definitely feel comfortable having a players iron in the bag after a season with these. These feel like the irons I can continue to grow into, and will probably end up being that scarred up old faithful set.

Back