Edel SMS Pro Iron Review

Snuck out last night for a twilight 9 and the Pros continue to impress. It’s hard to say they are somehow better in comparison to my old irons, because A) they aren’t, and B) it’s complicated. This year isn’t a drag-and-drop comparison to last year the same way the SMS aren’t a drag-and-drop comparison to the Pros. I’m playing a longer set of tees than I was most of last year, and facing longer, more challenging approach shots than I was previously. The Pro irons are smaller, more demanding, and have less margin for error, and faced with an extra club (or 2) on approach shots, that very well may be the difference somedays to send me scampering back to the relative safety of the SMS with their thicker, more forgiving sole, and extra octane boost from the added ballspeed. That being said, after 25 rounds with the Pros in the bag, I've shaved nearly 2 strokes off my handicap, and my GIR #'s are up 10+ % from last season. I'm still chasing that PW hole-out from greenside, and nearly got it last night but it lipped out on the high side. If I could offer a few suggestions about the Pros, they would be as follows:
- bring more fitting options to Canada (despite my relative success this year, now that I know a little bit more about my game and have had the chance to work with a few really talented fitters, I would have loved to been able to get fit for these and play around with some of the heavier weight combos)
- from an aesthetics standpoint, I would love to see these eventually offered in a black finish, especially paired with the Colorado ferrules :love:
- offer a Pro gap wedge option. I know we discussed this, and yes, it makes sense to me hearing the reasons why it isn't offered, but the tri-sole works. Extending that into another option that can offer a full-swing weapon with some more potential forgiveness greenside might open the market a little bit more into that mid-handicap range that's looking to make their first step into a players club.

Snuck out last night for a twilight 9 and the Pros continue to impress. It’s hard to say they are somehow better in comparison to my old irons, because A) they aren’t, and B) it’s complicated. This year isn’t a drag-and-drop comparison to last year the same way the SMS aren’t a drag-and-drop comparison to the Pros. I’m playing a longer set of tees than I was most of last year, and facing longer, more challenging approach shots than I was previously. The Pro irons are smaller, more demanding, and have less margin for error, and faced with an extra club (or 2) on approach shots, that very well may be the difference somedays to send me scampering back to the relative safety of the SMS with their thicker, more forgiving sole, and extra octane boost from the added ballspeed. That being said, after 25 rounds with the Pros in the bag, I've shaved nearly 2 strokes off my handicap, and my GIR #'s are up 10+ % from last season. I'm still chasing that PW hole-out from greenside, and nearly got it last night but it lipped out on the high side. If I could offer a few suggestions about the Pros, they would be as follows:
- bring more fitting options to Canada (despite my relative success this year, now that I know a little bit more about my game and have had the chance to work with a few really talented fitters, I would have loved to been able to get fit for these and play around with some of the heavier weight combos)
- from an aesthetics standpoint, I would love to see these eventually offered in a black finish, especially paired with the Colorado ferrules :love:
- offer a Pro gap wedge option. I know we discussed this, and yes, it makes sense to me hearing the reasons why it isn't offered, but the tri-sole works. Extending that into another option that can offer a full-swing weapon with some more potential forgiveness greenside might open the market a little bit more into that mid-handicap range that's looking to make their first step into a players club.

I agree that a Pro gap wedge would be a nice option but if it existed I wouldn’t have my 48° D grind that I love 🤷‍♂️

Shot a 67 today on a par 70 course. But the one shot the league will be talking about was a 220 yard shot uphill with a bunker on the left. The shot was tailor made for the par 5 killer. The Edel pro iron 3 iron was launched high and stuck on the green to 6 ft. Eagle made.

I still shake my head at how good these irons are. They flat out perform. I’ve never had a set of irons that are so much fun. I occasionally hit a bad shot with these but overall the consistency is unreal.

What was even better was the conversation before the shot.

Cart partner: You going to use that Edel butter knife?

Me: it’s not a butter knife if you don’t think it’s a butter knife. :flushesshot:

Cart partner: I can’t believe I just saw that.

Threw these back in the bag for a range session today, and if irons make range balls feel good, there’s probably something to them. I don’t have to work very hard with these clubs, especially the long irons, and they’ve been a pretty amazing intro into a players cavity. I am interested to see what adjustments we might make to them in October, so far the toe weight still feels like the best spot, but I may experiment with that again in the next few weeks. Work commitments and inclement weather kept me off the course this week, and will probably again next week, but I’ll be taking the show on the road again in early next month for some away games.

Handicap Update with the Edel Pros. Started around a 3.7 when I first got these irons in March. Had not played with player cb irons for a long time. Then hit a high of 4.9.

But after a couple of rounds under par in the last two weeks I'm down to 2.6.

These irons have taken me a while to get comfortable and more consistent with. But now they are really starting to make gains for me.

Another twilight 9 last night, just me, the mosquitos, and my fox pal.
View attachment 9196229
Unfortunately, being that I’m in the Great White North, now is the start of losing daylight season. As a result, I skipped frivolous things such as “stretching” or “warm-up”, and headed right to tee box 10. It took me the first couple of holes to find the groove in my swing, and it’s like as soon as I find that turn/shift/tempo/wrist set, the Pro irons whisper “your welcome”, and our Lady of Trajectory blesses me. I spent some time in the hitting bay this weekend demoing a few other competitor irons in the class, and the SMS Pros are as soft and dense and crisp as anything out there. Really wish my current schedule was conducive to playing more often, but I’m happy that when I do get out I get to play these, as they are a lot of fun.

I agree that a Pro gap wedge would be a nice option but if it existed I wouldn’t have my 48° D grind that I love 🤷‍♂️
I get why not, but if a set GW was on offer I likely would have created a combo set.

One thing I was concerned about going into this season and moving into this style of iron was losing that forgiveness that’s a little more built-in to a players distance. I hit off mats quite a bit as I don’t always have time to make it to the range, and as a result, when I try to take the swing work from home to the course, occasionally I’m guilty of a thin strike or two. I hit a couple of those today, and both still remained a very playable ball flight and result. There’s something here with the SMS system that isn’t quite there with other irons I’ve tried - like a sort of security blanket confidence maybe, the forgiveness is definitely there, but it’s a very player profile. Only one long iron today, 5i from the deck, and the more I swing the longer irons in the set the more I’m impressed with the overall package. Still chasing the PW hole-out, another close call today after a nippy little greenside bump and run.
IMG_8379.jpeg

One thing I was concerned about going into this season and moving into this style of iron was losing that forgiveness that’s a little more built-in to a players distance. I hit off mats quite a bit as I don’t always have time to make it to the range, and as a result, when I try to take the swing work from home to the course, occasionally I’m guilty of a thin strike or two. I hit a couple of those today, and both still remained a very playable ball flight and result. There’s something here with the SMS system that isn’t quite there with other irons I’ve tried - like a sort of security blanket confidence maybe, the forgiveness is definitely there, but it’s a very player profile. Only one long iron today, 5i from the deck, and the more I swing the longer irons in the set the more I’m impressed with the overall package. Still chasing the PW hole-out, another close call today after a nippy little greenside bump and run.
View attachment 9196817
These pro irons are really good irons! I love mine

That and they are so smooth and easy to hit and look great
I like to give them a rip. But that’s my swing. Work well with that too

what I love is you don’t have to over swing them.
For me they reward a smooth tempo. Could be the shaft choice I went with but if I just relax and not try to rip at it, it’s everything I’ve been chasing for trajectory-wise.

I like to give them a rip. But that’s my swing. Work well with that too

if I had your light shafts I would too.

I also would trade my iron play for yours

For anybody that did the split set, can you talk a little bit about the transition from standard to Pro?

Got to play a really lush course yesterday and the tri-sole really shines in those conditions. My home course is super firm compared to what I experienced yesterday, and it felt like I could go after the ball a little more. The sole just gets through the turf so well, and exits really cleanly. Had a couple of curious onlookers eyeballing these again before the round, lots of compliments about the shape and profile, and many questions about what the weights are for. These are eye-catching irons, and I’m happy to report that the results I was hoping for this year out of my iron play are what I’m experiencing.

I’m pretty grateful for the opportunity to test these this season as it feels like an evolution of an iron, happening at the same time I evolve as a player. I don’t always put the best swings on these, but they have continued to deliver for me. They are pretty forgiving for a smaller package, and when my swing is feeling good, it feels like I can’t miss much. I’m still really impressed with how the long irons launch for me, and the idea of a combo set is still very much attractive, but I don’t think I’d go down that route despite the option being available. A smooth tempo was rewarded a few times this week, with those results that keep the fire burning to keep the garage work going and continue the chase. I am just over a half point away from my handicap goal, and thankful I have gear in the bag that’s designed to help me shave those ones off every round. If your thinking about players distance irons, or a players iron, you’d be doing yourself a disservice not trying these.

Working hard on a new swing. My miss with the shorter irons is a pull. Working on a shorter finish with mixed results. I love that you can play different shots with these irons. Unfortunately I’ve become lazy in the heat and need to practice more but this could be a shot for me.

I’ve never been afraid to pull off a shot not practiced but it almost works too well and gets me in trouble the other way.

I’ve been trying out this new tactic of “no tees unless I’m using driver” (thank you @OldandStiff), and that tactic, combined with the 2” of rain we got on Friday (which I played in, like an idiot), led to some pretty tasty lawn trouts being tossed around today. The tri-sole works as advertised, that leading edge gets through the turf quick, and there is no delay as it cuts through. One of the things I’m most impressed with is the sound of these, it’s such a solid sounding iron, and on 16 today I was rewarded with some of that sound echoing off the tree lines that surround the hole after a great strike. I had an opportunity to play some bump and runs with the set 9i today, and I’m really happy that that same sole and leading edge give me a few more short game weapons to choose from as well. Admittedly, there are a few more in this iron class that I would like to demo, but these are going to be really difficult to knock out of the bag based on what I’m experiencing.

Got to play with a buddy of mine last night, he's currently playing a set of Kyoei Dual Weighted, and we did a couple of iron swaps. One of the things he pointed out to me was how the Edels are holding up really well after a season battle-scar wise. He's not wrong, the Edel's, despite being soft and dense off the face are holding up very well to bag chatter. I've been committed to walking most of my rounds this year, and I was wondering how they would hold up to the clickety-clack of walking. The scars that are on them have been well-earned, and I was happy to mark down another good score last night. I thought at the end of last season that the SMS would be my "old irons with new grips", but I think these things have earned that title.

I don’t have anything to add today besides reiterating that I am incredibly spoiled to have this be my first set of true players forged irons. Such a great feel at impact, and looks are just pure class.

@Wildcat4life is so good with these. He just needs a 1 iron.

@MSEASU told me today that I need to be hitting only irons. I agree. @EdelBlake I only have a driver and 3 wood left. Im going to need a 1 iron to cover the 3 wood. :p:p:p:p

Back