Cleveland Golf/Srixon Enters The Morgan Cup

Spent my lunch break today in serious driver ponder mode. I am digging the Black driver like no other but the SL 270 and Z-Star are also very good for me. Can't wait to get word so I can go to work.

Spent my lunch break today in serious driver ponder mode. I am digging the Black driver like no other but the SL 270 and Z-Star are also very good for me. Can't wait to get word so I can go to work.

Black driver, you were knocking the cover off the ball on the range with that bad boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing offical yet, but I'd imagine apparel would be the Cleveland Classics line. One of my favorites for sure. I have no idea about footwear though.

Pondering out loud: it would be sweet if the Cleveland staffers could go the G-Mac/Vijay route and have Ecco footwear.

If you love the Black driver that much, I'd stick with it because you know that you'd have a consistent club off of the tee going into the Morgan Cup, and would have more time with it than just about anyone else.

Pondering out loud: it would be sweet if the Cleveland staffers could go the G-Mac/Vijay route and have Ecco footwear.

That was one that crossed my mind!

I want to talk about our ponders!

I just read Danny's post about the XV:

Spoiler
I've tried and tried to post this in the XV thread but it never goes through and since I'm between these two balls I'm just going to post here, sorry. Smalls if you want to move it feel free, I tried.

Well after finding out that my Morgan Cup sponsor would be the wonderful folks over at Cleveland/Srixon I immediately grabbed a dozen of the Z-Star XV balls to get started finding out what ball I will play. I've played the Q-Star a lot since it was released and found that it is very good ball for my game. However I was still curious about the XV line.

So yesterday I got to take these on the course for some experimentation, I liked what I saw, this ball is a beast around the greens. Actually threw me off due its check, had to start flying the ball further and letting it hop and stop, saw similar results on bump and runs. Even though my normal ball is urethane covered it is a little firmer than the cover on the XV.

My distances were equal throughout the bag, so that will make for an easy transition over to this ball if I choose it and its one of the options for the MC. Of course this is only one round so lots more testing and reading will be order.

It made me think of something that I'm going to do soon. I'm going to audition another two Srixon balls (XV and Z-Star). Assuming they are the balls in the 2012 lineup, I am going to pick one and stick with it 100% until the MC. No switching around because I want to be completely familiar with my ball come July.

Anybody have thoughts on their irons?

Obviously haven't made any final decisions, but I'm leaning towards one of the GI sets right now.

The leader in my mind right now are the CG Blacks. The in-hand pics remind me a little of the CG16 shape and I was very fond of those irons. I love the look of the black finish and the Ti face has me intrigued. The gapping at the top end has me a little perplexed right now, but I'm heading the LM tonight to get some more info on integrating a GI set with wedges. It's been a few months since I had that type of set up and I've gained some yards in that time.

I still haven't discounted the Mashie irons. I think they could be very nice as well, though part of me wishes they had a 5 iron rather than the 5 hybrid.

Hey Hawk!! Solid ponders buddy. I'm definitely going with the CB's if an option. The shoe situation is an interesting ponder. I wouldn't mind some Ecco's with my Classic attire. I also think I want to be called "the big carolinian" for this MC.

I'm holding out hope that Bridgestone will partner with Ecco for footwear as well.

Hey Hawk!! Solid ponders buddy. I'm definitely going with the CB's if an option. The shoe situation is an interesting ponder. I wouldn't mind some Ecco's with my Classic attire. I also think I want to be called "the big carolinian" for this MC.

You shall now be known as BC!

I love the Classics attire. I still wear a shirt that I've had for almost 18 months now and the collar is still going strong.

I like the footwear pondering going on in this thread!!!

You may have to fight Yorkem for that haha

I'm leaning toward the Black Irons but that could change in a second. The 16's and Mashies are still in the running, the good thing about the 16's is that I know them, the Black and Mashies are total unknowns other than what I've read here. I think the CB 588's will be a little more than I can handle and under pressure I want a bit more forgiveness, especially when I'm trying to cover the water on 18 at True Blue.

Ecco's are interesting, if that's how it works out, I've never tried a pair.

Mashie irons shouldn't be ignored. They are very solid

Regarding shoes, I would think that it would have to be a company that doesn't make golf equipment. I don't think Cleveland or Bridgestone would be too happy with their players wearing Nike or Footjoy shoes, for example.

In terms of irons, the 588 cb set does intrigue me, but they may be a little less forgiving than my current irons, and I really don't want to give that up. Perhaps the CG16 irons would be a better fit. I'm sure that I'll have chances to hit multiple sets of irons at the Demo Day in May.

Sent from Tapatalk

I think Ecco would be a great fit for both companies and I am a huge fan of the shoes. The Biom streets due out in 2012 look fantastic.

Regarding shoes, I would think that it would have to be a company that doesn't make golf equipment. I don't think Cleveland or Bridgestone would be too happy with their players wearing Nike or Footjoy shoes, for example.

In terms of irons, the 588 cb set does intrigue me, but they may be a little less forgiving than my current irons, and I really don't want to give that up. Perhaps the CG16 irons would be a better fit. I'm sure that I'll have chances to hit multiple sets of irons at the Demo Day in May.

Sent from Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity - any reason why you mention the CG16's as opposed to the Black?

I'm not at a computer now, but I recall seeing them on Cleveland's website last night. I could be wrong though.

One thing about pondering clubs, you have to know your game. I don't go at par 5s in 2 very much and I don't really like partial swings with my short clubs. So I may have some bigger gaps at the top end of my bag in order to have more wedges in the bottom end. I'll also probably go driver, then 16-17 degree wood, then straight to hybrids, no strong 3 wood for me.

Sent from Tapatalk

I'm not at a computer now, but I recall seeing them on Cleveland's website last night. I could be wrong though.

One thing about pondering clubs, you have to know your game. I don't go at par 5s in 2 very much and I don't really like partial swings with my short clubs. So I may have some bigger gaps at the top end of my bag in order to have more wedges in the bottom end. I'll also probably go driver, then 16-17 degree wood, then straight to hybrids, no strong 3 wood for me.

Sent from Tapatalk

I never thought about the CG16 irons being offered in addition to the Black irons. It will be interesting to see what's available!

I like the bigger gaps at the top of the bag as well Ary, I don't have the distance to go for a lot of par 5's in 2 unless circumstances fall in my favor. Added a 4 wood to my bag back in the spring and it has been a wonderful club for me, little easier to hit off the deck vs a 3 wood and just as long.

On another note I think I found my putters provided we can choose from the Platinum line. I didn't realize the 5.5 was a CS putter, I was thinking it was more toward the heel instead of a true CS design, needless to say I'm very happy right now. Even the weight is spot on for my liking!

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/US_cla...__classic_bp5_5_putter__viewProd_putters.html

The 5.5 was one I had my eye on too, SW. I went looking for it over the weekend, but no luck.

The 5.5 was one I had my eye on too, SW. I went looking for it over the weekend, but no luck.

Found a demo day for tomorrow so hopefully it'll be there and I'll get video or pics. I didn't think it had changed since the brz line when the shaft more toward the heel.

I was pretty impressed with the way the PB line of putters look in hand. They have a nice milled face and are suprisingly soft/quiet sounding.

I was pretty impressed with the way the PB line of putters look in hand. They have a nice milled face and are suprisingly soft/quiet sounding.

I agree man. I've always loved their putters and wondered if these along with the other classic lines would be offered.

I agree man. I've always loved their putters and wondered if these along with the other classic lines would be offered.

My best putting performance ever was the front 9 on the Champion last May. I had 13 putts with that CC #3. Of course, the back nine turned into an episode of THawk's Funniest Videos, but that front nine was special hehe.

True. I have the #2 and its a great putter, just totally wrong for me but I liked it so I bought it. The milling is just right for my taste, not to subtle but not overly aggressive either.

--
tapatalk

I'm really poorly educated on NC and Cleveland's putters. I think I'm going to start putting a milled anser style putter in the bag for preparation. I'm almost positive that all left handed models are anser style when it comes to their catalog.

I have so much going on in my brain that it's crazy. I need to chill and be patient.

Back