At this point in your life what is your "No thanks, it's too cold for me to play" temperature? And what's the coldest temp you ever did play in?

This morning is a perfect example of being too cold. 40 degrees and have 3 layers of fleece clothing on, 2 insulated work gloves on each hand, a stocking cap and hood over my head and am still freezing. Just emptied the trash cans on the course and am getting ready to mow tee boxes.

This morning is a perfect example of being too cold. 40 degrees and have 3 layers of fleece clothing on, 2 insulated work gloves on each hand, a stocking cap and hood over my head and am still freezing. Just emptied the trash cans on the course and am getting ready to mow tee boxes.
UnderArmor Cold Gear thermals. Not thick, just warm..... one pair of tops and bottoms and you would be running around in just a hoodie.
Its not inexpensive, but I have been rotating the same 3 sets 6 days a week, 4 months a year for 15 years or so............ They might be well made. LOL
My sin has newer versions I got him as he grew. Still have a lot of use and look to be in fine shape.

I should have said this yesterday. It was 44º, quite windy, and the sun only came out from behind the clouds in spurts. When the sun was out it was pleasant since I was dressed for the temps but when it was hiding I was miserable. Only ended up looping around 1,9,10,11 a couple of times and calling it quits.

Last time I went out I picked a sunny day. Made the ball harder to find on a few holes as the sun was in my eyes but the weather was more pleasant than if I played on a cloudy overcast day.

It may be helpful to test out clothing ideas on a practice day to see if they are as warm as you think they will be before heading out for a round.

Last edited:
going to be somewhere close to 40 this Saturday morning. I will take a cart as i am not wanting to jump straight into walking 18 this week, although that helps with keeping the body temps up. But i am so jonesing to get back out and swing the clubs.

Walked nine in 42* yesterday, won’t go any lower than that. If I’m riding, it’s got to be over 50* or it’s just no fun.

At this point in your life what is your "No thanks, it's too cold for me to play" temperature? And what's the coldest temp you ever did play in?
Calm day? Low 40s cutoff.

Usually below 30*, especially if it's windy as well. I believe the lowest temperature was in the high 20's & we ended up playing in snow by the back nine :eek:
You need to find a “how hot is your cutoff” thread.

If the greens are frost-free, and the course is open, I'll play. Never too cold. It can easily be too hot for me, though.

Played a course in Evanston, IL, close to 20 years ago in early November, mid morning. Temperature was about 42* at tee off, no snow on the ground. With Lake Michigan less than a block away at a couple of holes on the front, with a stiff lake breeze, felt more like 32*. We managed to finish, trying to keep the hands warm was the biggest problem. We, my brother and I, had a couple of hand warmers we tossed back and forth. We walked this course of only about 3,000 yards, par 60. Longest hole around 350 yards, no par 5's. I think the walking really helped us keep the blood flowing. Not a par 3 course by any means, but like a park setting, with a golf course built in. Been around a long time, and they have tried different hole arrangements, like 17 + 18 being the first two holes, instead of the last. Have not played there in over 10 years, but next year going there to see the course that taught me how to play this game. Man, it was cold that day, and I don't know why we were out there. I guess, the love of the game called us out...

It has a lot more to do with wind & clouds rather than just a temperature number.
50* with sunny skies and little to no wind is playable, 50* with cloudy skies and winds 10-20mph is a no go.
I’m down with that. Costs money and time to play. Not wasting mine. There is always another day to play, it’s not life or death.

Sub 60 might be too cold for me

Screenshot_20231126_081223_Weather.jpg

It's this. We're doing brunch instead of golf because this is less fun than food.

When "feels like" drops into the 20s, I'm definitely out. If it is a little warmer, but with a significant North wind, I question whether I want to be out there.

My seniors golf league starts tomorrow. Our tee times for our 18 hole league begins at 8am. With temps at 40° for the first groups out and climbing to a high of 46° and wind speeds of 16-22mph, I’m going to wimp out. I don’t enjoy 4 hours of cold hands and feet or trying to play with layers of warm clothes.

IMG_0060.png

Anything below 50° is too cold. I played once in 34° and raining.

Anything below 50° is too cold. I played once in 34° and raining.
Glad you survived, I once played in sub-freezing weather and rain, I didnt make it to the turn. Nearly died out there.

If no wind I’m fine down in the low 40s maybe even lower if sun is shining. Windy and cloudy that number rises. Coldest was 30

Glad you survived, I once played in sub-freezing weather and rain, I didnt make it to the turn. Nearly died out there.
High school all-county match. It was bitterly cold, then it started to rain. For some unexplained reason, they wouldn’t postpone the match. We played 9 holes and had a double par rule. Everyone dropped a ball and hit it and walked at the same time to get back inside. 45 minutes later, 6 high schools with 6 players on each team, turned in 36 score cards of 72 for a front 9 Par 36. 36 county medalists! The school system wasn’t happy when they had to order 35 more 1st place trophies. 🤷‍♂️🤣

I have played in in sub 30 degree weather when the wind held the frost at bay. Frigid but ok with the right layers. Cold, wind, and rain; if there are 2 then I will play. Add all 3 in at the same time and I may stay home...maybe.

I draw the line at freezing if the course is open for play. Of course, sun/clouds or windy/calm conditions also come into the equation.

Up until a year ago I would play in the 20s if the sun was out and the wind was down. This past winter I didn't play at all. Maybe pushing 69 had something to do with it?

Dry and a "real feel" temp of at least 50. I would rather play in 85% humidity and 100 degrees than cloudy and 50.

EDIT: Just noticed this was an old thread and I had already responded...and I was actually more or less consistent. SO...my wife is wrong about me.

For me it's more of a sun vs. no sun thing.

A sunny 40* is a lot different than an overcast 40*

This past Sunday was below my threshold, and never again. 50 and raining. Most miserable time i've had on a golf course in a long time. I'll take 100+ all day before 50's or below.

Back