At this point in your life what is your "No thanks, it's too cold for me to play" temperature? And what's the coldest temp you ever did play in?

jackod

Reaction score
At this point in your life what is your "No thanks, it's too cold for me to play" temperature? And what's the coldest temp you ever did play in?

Mid 40's....

It has a lot more to do with wind & clouds rather than just a temperature number.
50* with sunny skies and little to no wind is playable, 50* with cloudy skies and winds 10-20mph is a no go.

It depends on the day. I could be playing right now but it's 51, cloudy, and windy. I turned down multiple invitations because I'm wearing a really comfortable sweater right now.

I've played in the snow though. Depends how strong the itch is.

Last edited:
Depends. If sun is out in the 40's. Sun not out and windy, maybe under 55. Coldest I have played in is 32F

Depends on wind, but in general somewhere in the mid 40's F is my threshold. I would love to only play in temps > 50F (or > 60 F), but that limits the playing season. Skiing is a big part of my life, and I am generally cold hardy. But with golf, I very much dislike cold weather golf.

I will play in the 30s provided that there isn't a lot of wind. I have played in the 30s numerous times. I played my last round this season on November 12th. It was in the high 30s for most of the round. it wasn't that windy and I walked so it was manageable.

It was in the high 30s when we teed off in Morgan Cup singles. That's plenty cold but there was full sun so it warmed up pretty quickly.

At home for just a casual round, if it is cloudy, windy and/or wet all or most of the round, the temp needs to be in the high 50s to get me out. Unless I really, really want to play. If it's sunny, or will be before long, I'd say 45ish.

Below 40 with no wind. Anything below 50 even if there is a little wind

I played last weekend it was 43 but the sun was out. Still chilly with wind, don't think I could do much colder than that

No hard and fast rule since 35, sunny and calm is fine but 45, cloudy and windy can be awful. I guess as long as we’re above freezing I’ll consider it, which is about as cold as I’ve played. My only hard no is a heat index over 110.

Usually below 30*, especially if it's windy as well. I believe the lowest temperature was in the high 20's & we ended up playing in snow by the back nine :eek:

Damn some soft ass people here...Really depends on the cloud cover and wind...I'd say 40 with no wind, 50 with wind

At this point in my life I would play in almost any temp as long as it's above freezing. Would play colder but you can damage the grass colder than that.

Played Sunday and it barley broke 40 and a tad breezy. Playing Friday and it probably won't break 40.

I always look at the "feels like" temp forecast. If the feels like gets into the 30s, I'm not playing. I have played with snow on the ground, but that was many years ago.

I have played at 0⁰F. It was like trying to stop a wedge on a parking lot. These days. Low 20s are about as far as I'm going. Courses dont stay open as long as there isn't snow like they used to.

I've played in the 20s and still will if given the opportunity, BUT throw in wind and/or rain, forget it. lol

I've played with snow on the ground where they squeegeed the greens and small bits of snow/slush made like a snowbll rolling down hill on loner putts - no 2 putts that day.

I have played on thickly frozen ponds - where we cut dog legs because who cares!

As to the present, I would say I'd play in the mid 50s if the timing was right - and the company was as well. If it's really windy though - maybe not.

If I have to play with a jacket in then I'm out. Don't mind wearing one from hole to hole but I want to take it off while playing

If it is too cold to wear shorts, I am passing on playing at my home course. I have played as low as low to mid 40s within sunshine and little wind. As a side note, I only walk when I play.

Back