At this point in your life what is your "No thanks, it's too cold for me to play" temperature? And what's the coldest temp you ever did play in?

45 with no wind
50 with wind

These days, too cold for me is wind chill factors below freezing. It's not so much the temp, as it is the wind.

Coldest I ever played in was freezing rain, with a wind blowing the rain/ice mix side ways. Mustaches, beards, clothes, head covers, golf cart, everything all accumulated 3/8 inches of ice during the round. We were much younger back then. 🤣

38 is my cutoff.

I’ve played in 35-36 with 15 mph wind. It sucked.

Depends on where I’m playing. Weekend round then 30s is too cold. If I’m on a golf trip, I’ll play in the low teens. And that’s the coldest I’ve ever played. Trip to Pinehurst back in highschool and weird cold front came in. We were playing in the low teens. Beautiful weather just really cold. Heck of a trip and would absolutely do it again.

It used to be 65 but I've been here too long now and it's about 50, but no wind.

sunny and no wind...mid 40s. Cloudy and windy low 50s

If the course is open I will play.

I'm an idiot and will play in pretty much anything.

23° is the coldest that I can recall. In Myrtle Beach, of all places. December 2010.

Now, once it gets into the mid to low 40s, I'm not very comfortable. But this year I bought some warm and stretchy clothing, so we'll see. I also have heated vests and just bought a heated seat mat that plugs into the cart's USB outlet (the club's carts, I don't own a cart. If I did, it'd be fully winterized and toasty!).

I won't play in freezing temps. But usually courses will not open in those conditions.

2-3C is probably the lowest i've played in, including this year

At this point in my life if it isn't 50 and sunny, I don't play. I used to play in the 40's and some times in the high 30's, not anymore.

If it's in the 40s, nah. Not interested.

If it's 50 and raining, nah. Not interested.

If it's 60 and raining, it better be a nice course or special occasion.

I have played in sub 30 temps but there was enough sun to make it ok. The worst is when the cold, wind and rain combine but I will play during that, too. I have had to putt around a snowman before...

Basically, if the course is open, I will venture out to play

I used to say below 50, but I've played a few rounds this year in mid to high 40's. But typically, 40's are not an option, as overnight temps tend to be in the low 30's, which linger well into the late mornings.

40 with no wind….
I’ll get a head cold if it’s windy with cooler temps, never fails. Immune system is shot aft Covid pneumonia twice, plus Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

I have played at 0⁰F. It was like trying to stop a wedge on a parking lot. These days. Low 20s are about as far as I'm going. Courses dont stay open as long as there isn't snow like they used to.
Someone crazier than I was. I introduced my late father-in-law, an avid duck hunter, to golf. One New Year’s Day in Long Branch, NJ, we played a round when it was 4F. It was like another day in a duck blind for him.

Now, I’ll play if the wind chill is above 35F

I will observe that a 50 degree round in April is much warmer than a 50 degree round in October.

If the sky is clear I'll willingly play at 32 and above. I have played colder than that but not sure how much.

Coldest I've played was 30* at tee off. I'll probably never go out and play under 60* unless it's a tournament or something important

Can't play if it's 37? :LOL:
Choose not to. Here, there is always wind, always, so 38 has been my cut off preference after about 13 years of winter golf.

If the courses were open year round here I'd play in about anything above freezing.

With a garage sim and knowing I'll have a few months off anyway it's probably a little higher.

Choose not to. Here, there is always wind, always, so 38 has been my cut off preference after about 13 years of winter golf.
I understand and agree. Wind is the big deterrent for me when the temperature starts to dip into the 30s. Fortunately, my club closed on the 15th and has gone to temporary greens. You can play but there are no golf related services and the flagsticks are at random spots in the fairways.

40 degrees is the low limit for me (its what are course allows to be open) Mostly depends on wind though, anything over 10mph and I won't play.

Low 30’s? It was 27 when it was supposed to be my tee time, but obvious frost delay. Sun was out, light breeze, it was cold. Thermals, hat, beanie and a quarter zip? Just fine.

42 and rainy on the other hand, that was absolutely abysmal. Shoutout to good rain gear and unwavering conviction.

Back