2012 Women's U.S. Open [Spoilers]

I guess wie figured the putter out today. It seemed like she played really well tee to green yesterday and putted like poo, she might be running away with this thing today otherwise.

Wie just got done with her round, shot 66 (-6). I just looked at her stats for today: average drive 270 yards (was 286 yesterday), 8/14 FIR, 10/18 GIR, 21 putts!!! She must be ecstatic about that putting performance.

Wie just got done with her round, shot 66 (-6). I just looked at her stats for today: average drive 270 yards (was 286 yesterday), 8/14 FIR, 10/18 GIR, 21 putts!!! She must be ecstatic about that putting performance.
Maybe this will give her the confidence shes been needing.

just a crazy good round. Look at some of the other scores that have been out there. Only 4 other rounds in the 60's, and 5 in the 80's.

That's a really, really good putting day. A one putt on all but 3 holes!

That's a really, really good putting day. A one putt on all but 3 holes!

It is, but looking further, you can see she only hit 10 greens in regulation. Not terrible, but if you are just missing, and chipping or pitching on, you should be one-putting. Its why I think putting stats are so odd.

It is, but looking further, you can see she only hit 10 greens in regulation. Not terrible, but if you are just missing, and chipping or pitching on, you should be one-putting. Its why I think putting stats are so odd.

Yeah it's a testament to how good her short game was. Not everyone hits good chips and 2 putts hehe

That's true. But that means that she one putted a minimum of 7 GIR right? Unless she chipped in at all to make her # of 2 putts go up.

I agree with you when talking about professional golfers, but with Wie, she wasn't even hitting the hole on some short putts earlier this year. To have a putting/short game performance like that at a US Open is a huge surprise given her other results this year.

Looks like the projected cut is at +3. If it remains there, the young amateur Megan Khang that we've been hearing about in another thread might make it if she's able to pull her score up today (she tees off later and currently sits at +3)

And, big surprise, Christina Kim may make it unless she hoses it later in today's play.

Yeah, Wie must have got up and down all over the place, but she birdied the hell out of the holes where she hit greens. Those are the money putts. Gracie's pulling for her because she knows what it's like to hit greens and not convert. The Esox family is backing Michelle. Not her parents. Just her.

Kevin

Is there some kind of adjusted putting stat formula that combines putts per green in regulation/putts per green missed to get a more accurate assessment of one's putting round? Has the sabermetric community made its way into the golfing world yet?

Is there some kind of adjusted putting stat formula that combines putts per green in regulation/putts per green missed to get a more accurate assessment of one's putting round? Has the sabermetric community made its way into the golfing world yet?

they have that putts gained over the field stat they use now.

with the blue puma logo's, thompson and nordqvist look like lions fans

That 13 year old who just finished up did not look like she was 13. Good lord.

Lydia Ko a 15 year old, and ranked no1 amateur in the world shot even par today following a 2 over yesterday to be +2 for the championship and tied for 33rd.

Pretty impressive for a girl I saw turn up at Pupuke Golf Club in Auckland as I think a 5 year old. She's also the youngest ever winner of a pro tournament winning the NSW Open in Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hahaha @ christina kim "om my gosh, that was a clear ass shank". Then the announcer (the older lady, I know her, just can't think of her name at the moment) quickly added "that was technical jargon". fun sequence.

I feel like this announcing crew that espn and nbc have put together have done pretty well. It sounds like they're all enjoying each other out there and I feel like that's the vibe they're putting out. They're all relaxed, having fun and joking around with each other. It doesn't sound forced or stiff

I heard that... Cracked me up.
They just showed her again missing a putt and cut away before she started maybe saying something.

hahaha @ christina kim "om my gosh, that was a clear ass shank". Then the announcer (the older lady, I know her, just can't think of her name at the moment) quickly added "that was technical jargon". fun sequence.

I feel like this announcing crew that espn and nbc have put together have done pretty well. It sounds like they're all enjoying each other out there and I feel like that's the vibe they're putting out. They're all relaxed, having fun and joking around with each other. It doesn't sound forced or stiff

Was it Dottie Pepper? We was broadcasting yesterday.

It wasn't dottie, I know dottie. It was the even older lady. I know her, she's been on other golf channel and espn lpga broadcasts, just can't think of her name

Judy Rankin

How in the world does Morgan Pressel keep her skin so ghostly white? She works outside for a living.

Kevin

Pressel with the WD it appears. I think there are a few that have some choice words about that act.

How in the world does Morgan Pressel keep her skin so ghostly white? She works outside for a living.

Kevin

SPF 99?

She withdrew... Without finishing her round?

Well, she was going to miss the cut. Perhaps she just couldn't take the day she was having... Not necessarily a great decision, but hers to make I guess.

Back