Nike Golf AND Dick's don't stick by YOU (at least ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this anybody's issue but yours? They're called DF marks for a reason.

Fwiw, I did the exact same thing. Put a dent in the crown of my covert. Brought it to Dicks. And they put the dented crown on a KK Silver shaft and gave me a tour head still in the plastic. They put the dented driver to the side and threw a demo sticker on it.

That to me is exceptional since they didn't have to do anything. It wasn't their or Nike's fault I tried to hit the ball off the top of the driver.

Don't take this the wrong way but you swung it + you dented it = your problem. Neither Nike nor Dick's are responsible and beholden to do anything in this case.
You asked, they said no. I might be upset as well but I'd be pissed at myself for doing it. Accountability, it's grown up life.

Sorry but have to agree with these guys. It sucks what happened to your brand new driver, but truth be told they might get THOUSANDS of stories like this, where it was the users fault, and they say it wasn't, and they want a new club. Now I'm not saying your telling us a BS story, and I believe you when you say that's what happened, but from their side, they can't believe every single story like this.

In retail the store would be allowed to send the club back to Nike as a defective item. They would either credit the cost back to the store or send a new item back for resale. So Dick's could have done something, they just chose not to.

While I see this, Dick's could of done something, but they didn't HAVE to do anything about it. Like I said, they can't believe every story. Now granted they could of did what you said, and not had any problems, but still.

Withholding judgement until the OP posts pics, but I will say that unless there's obvious signs of abuse, Nike should make things right for a loyal Nike fan.

While I see this, Dick's could of done something, but they didn't HAVE to do anything about it. Like I said, they can't believe every story. Now granted they could of did what you said, and not had any problems, but still.
That's my point, that's just part of customer service. Going above and beyond the bear minimum. My family is in the retail business and I understand how important customer satisfaction is, so the responsibility does sort of fall on the retailer as well. Anyway, this day and age from my own experiences, the old saying of the customer is always right is long dead.

I would love to see the pics

I'd like to see a picture before I start blaming the guy for breaking his club. There is some 'piling on the new guy' going on in this thread, IMO.

What you just wrote about in your reply is "Customer Service"! ......and that's MY point! I didn't receive ANY!. They have no problem with exchanging WORN sneakers?

Honestly, all you guys saying "you broke it, it's your responsibility" are WRONG!!! There was no misuse or ill-intent that actually caused the defect. The dent occurred in the action of swinging a club to hit a ball. Nike and Dick's are both manufacturer and seller of the item (respectively) and should stand behind the products they manufacture and sell.

The club comes with a manufacturers warranty for defects. I believe that warranty is for one year from the purchase date. What else would you use a warranty for?? Moonknee, if you truly incurred this damage by hitting a golf ball then you have a right and a reasonable expectation for the club to withstand that type of "abuse, neglect or misuse". In my opinion (based on the information you've shared), this falls within manufacturer's defect guidelines. I would pursue this until they replaced the club head or refunded the purchase price.

You should post a picture here just so everyone will know exactly what the complaint is about...

Now that we know what the dent looks like, I think we can all agree it's user error and it falls outside of a warrant-able claim. It's totally up the OEM & seller to goodwill any exchanges.

Based on the OP's original post, it "seemed" that the dent/damage occurred to the face near the toe and clearly this is not the case. Technically, this is nothing more than cosmetic damage, IMO...

Last edited:
Yea a picture would help. Just unclear what the damage really is and that does make a difference. Face vs outer portion would make a difference in my mind.

Either way, no piling on and welcome to THP. Sounds like you're frustrated and I hope it works out for you.

So I got an email about 9 weeks ago from the American Golf census saying I had won a Callaway driver. Cool another club that I will never hit in its sweet spot. After 8 weeks it still had not come. I emailed the nice young lady that had informed me. She said that the Callaway drivers were still not in. She said that they had some extra Nike Drivers. She did not know if she could but would I be willing to take the substitute Nike driver. I told her I would continue to wait for the Callaway. After reading your post I am glad that I did not take the Nike.

Back when I worked for Nike in the returns Dept, we were having a lot of issues with Sligshot Irons weld points coming undone, Nike said this is a direct manufacturing issue and to approve all returns related to this issue. All other returns should graded on is it a manufacturing issue or caused by the customer's mistake, misuse, or neglect. So, if this came across my table I would say when you bought it, it was fine. You hit it and you made the mistake so we (Nike) are not at fault, denied. We (Nike) can not be responsible for one bad swing.

Honestly, all you guys saying "you broke it, it's your responsibility" are WRONG!!! There was no misuse or ill-intent that actually caused the defect.

How could you possibly know this with any semblance of certainty?

And, it's not a defect, it's damage.

We need photos.

That's my point, that's just part of customer service. Going above and beyond the bear minimum. My family is in the retail business and I understand how important customer satisfaction is, so the responsibility does sort of fall on the retailer as well. Anyway, this day and age from my own experiences, the old saying of the customer is always right is long dead.

I wouldn't say it's dead but given that it seems most of society is trying to get something for nothing, I'd throttle it down as well.
I'm in sales as well and most of my customers will tell you that we take care of everything in our power, when we can't I'll explain why the problem is user error and not the fault of the equipment. You can't warranty for everything.

Here are the pics.
9ebyqebe.jpg
ga3y2eby.jpg
jevanase.jpg

For those of you saying I could have hit a rock or something. (sprinkler head etc) Aren't those items HARDER then a golf ball and therefore would chip the paint and cause scratches?

Looks like you hit the club where it's not meant to be hit. I'd say it's on you. I am not sure how a normal shot/swing could have cause that anyway, even if it was hit on the toe. Looks like it was a direct hit to that spot to me. I am not any kind of expert though.

Would you expect a car company to replace your car because you ran into a post?

Interesting to compare with my experience with TMAG last year. New RBZ driver. Hit a pole in my backswing at the range crunching the back of the crown. Called TM to inquire about buying a replacement head. They sent me a new club, just had to pay shipping. This was completely my fault and it did not happen in the normal part of hitting a ball like in the OP's case. That is customer service and a reason I will show brand loyalty.

Tough one man. I can see where they are coming from, but having a background in CS does have me wondering if it might just be worth their time and expense to switch it out. I do see why they are hesitant from the outset though.

Here are the pics.
9ebyqebe.jpg
ga3y2eby.jpg
jevanase.jpg

For those of you saying I could have hit a rock or something. (sprinkler head etc) Aren't those items HARDER then a golf ball and therefore would chip the paint and cause scratches?

I am late to the party here, but have a couple of questions.
This picture looks like a golf ball hit that spot. Is that correct?
Can I ask how? Normal swing where you slipped or just missed?
I can honestly say I have never seen a dent like that from normal use, so before I can assist, I want to make sure I have all the facts as they are presented.

You used the club only once.
Took a swing and hit it too far out on the toe and it caused this dent?
The rest of the customer service stuff I dont really care about, because I understand their side of it, which I can see.
When you hit the club way out there off the face, and it dented, did anything break internally that you could hear?
Is it possible that you could take a picture from the toe looking at it directly as if it was setup to take a swing? That might help too.

Does it affect the playability? If not just keep using it. Maybe if you took it to a clubmaker he could 'pop' it out or something. It's too bad it happened, but it's just one of those things I guess. I don't really blame Nike but I get where you're coming from especially since you've been such a loyal customer.

By the way, I've heard great things about PING customer service, and if you have a Wishon clubfitter nearby you should pay him a visit. :)

i feel from my experience and i have had a few marks on the face and on the crown.... usually if its on the face they will replace it but if you miss the face which its obvious that you did it will be on you.... it sucks but thats the way it usually goes for that thing from what i've seen.... they could replace it but the one time i did that i had to have A LOT of strings pulled and you could tell the company wasn't thrilled about replacing it... it was more of a friend of a friend thing through a company rep that did a lot of business with someone i knew. good luck with nike maybe they will replace it but i wouldn't hold your breath.

Honestly, all you guys saying "you broke it, it's your responsibility" are WRONG!!! There was no misuse or ill-intent that actually caused the defect. The dent occurred in the action of swinging a club to hit a ball. Nike and Dick's are both manufacturer and seller of the item (respectively) and should stand behind the products they manufacture and sell.

The club comes with a manufacturers warranty for defects. I believe that warranty is for one year from the purchase date. What else would you use a warranty for?? Moonknee, if you truly incurred this damage by hitting a golf ball then you have a right and a reasonable expectation for the club to withstand that type of "abuse, neglect or misuse". In my opinion (based on the information you've shared), this falls within manufacturer's defect guidelines. I would pursue this until they replaced the club head or refunded the purchase price.

You should post a picture here just so everyone will know exactly what the complaint is about...

i think you'd be surprised on what is covered under the warranty and just because sometimes some companies will exchange something doesn't mean everyone will.

After seeing the pics. I wouldn't give you another driver. I stand buy my original post. Welcome to THP though. Lots of great info and people here.

moonknee, they probably deemed that cosmetic and will not affect/effect the playability of the club. I was under the impression from your original post that the damage occurred to the club face toward or at the toe...

As a gesture of goodwill they could replace it but like buckjob said, "don't hold your breath". Best of luck!!

moonknee, they probably deemed that cosmetic and will not affect/effect the playability of the club. I was under the impression from your original post that the damage occurred to the club face toward or at the toe...

As a gesture of goodwill they could replace it but like buckjob said, "don't hold your breath". Best of luck!!

Agreed...the damage to mine was much worse and much more my fault. TM hooked me up.

Nike Golf AND Dick's don't stick by YOU (at least ME)

Can we see a pic?

Nevermind....skim alert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back