COBRA AMP Driver & Fairway Woods

Thanks for the update Hawk. Would you consider this driver one for "better" players due to the average forgivness? I can't wait to hear how the adjustability goes.

No, I think this would be a driver that would fit a mid-high handicapper just fine, Dam. The bigger misses were not game breakers, but there was yardage loss for sure. Nothing abnormal for a poorly swung heel ball.

Alright thanks. Not sure how I feel of lack of forgiveness at the heel though. Did you hit many off the toe? That's where my miss is and I like plenty of forgiveness there.

I don't think I hit one ball off the toe. Sorry, but not really hehe.

Heel balls (for me) usually mean I cut across the ball, so they spin more, both back spin and side spin and suffer from missing the sweet spot. I haven't found a driver that does well with that miss.

I don't think I hit one ball off the toe. Sorry, but not really hehe.

Heel balls (for me) usually mean I cut across the ball, so they spin more, both back spin and side spin and suffer from missing the sweet spot. I haven't found a driver that does well with that miss.

Alright that makes it better then. The club can only do so much. I'm intrigued and can't wait to hear more.

You've been struggling with spin haven't you Hawk? It seems those spin numbers are pretty decent.

You've been struggling with spin haven't you Hawk? It seems those spin numbers are pretty decent.

I was, but it's gotten much better since I've been taking lessons. My R9 (420cc) has me sub 3k -usually in the ~2700 range - right now if I swing it right.

I was, but it's gotten much better since I've been taking lessons. My R9 (420cc) has me sub 3k -usually in the ~2700 range - right now if I swing it right.

Gotcha, glad you got that under control. I had missed that update.

I went and tried the AMP driver and just pounded it. It is a great feeling and sounding driver, and long too. I cant wait to try an X-flex version.

The stiff got up high- too high for my liking- and carried far. But Id get more action on an X-flex shaft.

I also got a sweet bracelet.

dbc90d84.jpg

0d6469ed.jpg

and with that news TC has decided to end his relationship with Thainer. I'm sure the pale guy is truly heartbroken

Thainer....did you get a fruit basket as well?

I wish, I havent eaten breakfast yet.

I must say though, I am really intrigued by this AMP stuff. Its good stuff. I liked everything I hit today and couldnt find a negative.

Thainer....did you get a fruit basket as well?

Obviously don't want to knock it without trying it, but like I got the Golf Town Newsletter this morning and headline says, "Now get Rickie Fowlers Cobra AMP Driver". Just seems like a bit over marketing a Rickie IMO. Headlines like that are a bit much, could understand something more like "Use what Rickie Uses" or something like that maybe.

I've had a chance to hit this quite a bit over the last couple days as I wanted to get some work in on my driver swing. About the only negative I've seen so far is that the shaft lacks the feel that my Kusala has and it's a little more spinny than I prefer at the moment. Still, I've hit some really nice shots with it and it goes. I did hit a toe shot and felt like it was adequately forgiving out there. Sound and feel at impact are very nice. Aesthetically, I'd say I like the orange better than I do the silver.

I had a gander at them yesterday.

The non offset looked real nice and it was interesting that the offset version had a darker shade of grey along the top of the crown as an alignment aid I suppose. I like the looks of the driver.

Alex

can't believe ricky switched from titleist to cobra! must be some serious green he is getting!

Hit the 3w I'm testing Friday night with fellow THP member Buckjob and after the initial test drive I liked, not loved this club. I need to get to the heated outdoor range for some full on shots but here's what I've seen so far. This club is one of the best looking clubs at address. Ever. The grey of the head with the grey and black shaft is such a unique look. It's a smaller profile that I prefer in my woods so that just adds to the beauty of the club. The feeling isn't overly hot off the face but each shot feels almost the same no matter where you hit it save for the extreme mishit. this may be a pretty forgiving FW which I'll chck out the next time I hit the range with it.

so, the Cobra commercial came on the other day and I made my wife watch it. I told her to give me honest feedback. She absolutely hated it. She said it made no sense and didnt make her want to buy a golf club/play golf. She asked me a bunch of questions I couldnt answer. I thought it was interesting.

I somehow missed Thainer's feedback, but I'm glad you liked it dude. And I'm right alongside TC: very jealous of your bracelet! :D Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This seems like a good line of clubs.

so, the Cobra commercial came on the other day and I made my wife watch it. I told her to give me honest feedback. She absolutely hated it. She said it made no sense and didnt make her want to buy a golf club/play golf. She asked me a bunch of questions I couldnt answer. I thought it was interesting.

That's funny as I do the same thing on commercials with Liz. I myself hate that commercial, it just makes little sense to me and Ricky looks like a dweeb at the end when he smiles.

Wish this came in a strong 3. Changing my bag and am going with a strong 3 and then 18* hybrid

saw the driver in person today for the first time. I actually didn't think the orange was as obnoxious as it comes across in some pictures. The silver/grey driver head had a nice look to it. While I would change the grip out so it wasn't orange, I liked the feel of it. It's one of those new Lamkin grips that Hawk reviewed recently. I wish I got to take some swings with it, but I was trying out some other stuff at that store and didn't want to bother the guy who was helping me test some iron shafts.

This driver looks good in person!! All I'm saying is don't sleep on this driver!! Feels amazing. Got a couple around 260-265 which is good for me!

Tried the Adams 9088 and f12. Just weren't for me.

My driver swing is fed lol. Most drives I was getting 25* of launch of 5800 back spin.

I dislike orange, stupid commercials, RIP shafts and stock shafts yet the driver and fairway are pretty nice. I'd say the fair loses out to the Adams, Nike and Taylormade in terms of sheer performance. The driver seems to be a slightly more forgiving S3, the S3 was and is still one of my favorites. It produced better ball speed numbers lower off the face then the S3. Sheer distance numbers had the ZL in front but it's not really fair since I had a fitted shaft in it.

I'd love to try the Amp out with a Kai'li or a Fubuki K to really give it a shot. I also still think the hybrid is a winner of the Amp line of the metals and wish it came in a 24/25 as well.

Back