COBRA AMP Driver & Fairway Woods

Some more pictures of the AMP driver:

DSCN0227-L.jpg

DSCN0234-L.jpg

DSCN0237-L.jpg

DSCN0241-L.jpg

I like the looks of this one as well. Solid stock shaft. Don't think you will have any issues getting the head cover on/off. Talk about keeping it simple!

The latest package of goodies to arrive at the NE office of THP also included the latest FW offering from Cobra....the AMP FW. This one has my attention right out of the box due to it's unique color scheme and it's overall look. For the most part it's a predominantly gray club from club head to shaft with the grip being the AMP signature orange of the men's AMP line. Surprisingly I quite like the looks and hope to see if I like the performance as well. Thank you to Cobra for sending this to THP for testing!

Club Specs-

Club Type- 3W
Loft- 15* (adjustable +/- 2*)
Shaft- Aldila RIP Speed Tuned 55g
Flex- Stiff
Grip- Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen

632f5090.jpg

1d307a61.jpg

f68e6525.jpg

ebea0e59.jpg
87a2edda.jpg

I merged this with the Cobra Amp thread already started.

Not so sure about that headcover. Seems to be a pretty poor fit for the vibe these clubs are supposed to be giving off. The orange looks better in person than I expected. Same with the silver.

I agree about the headcover. I figured the headcover would be much more vibrant and out there based on the club, but I still like the sock style headcovers. Easy to get on and off.

I would have expected the headcover to be different. There definitely has been a sock style headcover trend sine the callaway big bertha headcover about 5 years ago.

I want to make a disclaimer, I am not sure the sock headcover is for that club but it was the headcover sitting closest to it when I was packing up the box and I didn't see any others near by. I may have put the wrong headcover on there, I am honestly not sure I can't remember what came with it.

I want to make a disclaimer, I am not sure the sock headcover is for that club but it was the headcover sitting closest to it when I was packing up the box and I didn't see any others near by. I may have put the wrong headcover on there, I am honestly not sure I can't remember what came with it.

Throwing a curveball

I was hoping nobody would notice, but with all the headcover talk I thought I should come clean.

LOL! First thing I noticed. :D

Performance over head covers though, right?!?!

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

I like the Cobra sock puppet....just needs some orange I think lol

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

The more pictures I see of these, the more I like em!
Hope the performance is there across the board to match the looks.

the look is certainly growing on me

The more pictures I see of these, the more I like em!
Hope the performance is there across the board to match the looks.

Sorry, the driver. 9.5° with the S flex shaft.

When you are done testing, I'll PM you my address so you can send it on! Haha!
Looking forward to hearing more as you put this club to the test.

The more I look at the FW....I like how Cobra incorporated its E9 face technology like they did with the S3 driver which I kinda liked. Add adjustability to the equation as well and this could be a surprise club for some people.

Been awhile since I used cobra clubs. That driver looks pretty sweet.

Hit a twenty or so shots with the AMP driver today. Didn't really come away with any strong feelings either way about it, but didn't have a ton of time either. It sounds and feels nice when you hit it well. The shaft is a bit blah I guess, but the spin wasn't too bad for me on good swings. A bit high, but nothing out of this world. I like the silver head, though I can't say I noticed it much when addressing the ball.

Hawk how was the sound? I know the zl encore had a really good sound to it. Wasn't loud and sounded more like persimmon. I'm hoping this wasn't as loud as cobra drivers in the past

It wasn't anything abnormal from what I recall, ddec. Hopefully I can devote a little more time to it the next time I hit balls.

Can someone explain to me what the Cobra commercials stand for? They already released the Amp clubs. What could they possibly be announcing on the 23rd?

Can someone explain to me what the Cobra commercials stand for? They already released the Amp clubs. What could they possibly be announcing on the 23rd?

Haven't seen the commercial but I would expect the RF cobra signing. I believe that was the rumor going around plus Rickie will be making his debut this coming weekend so the timing seems good I guess.

EDIT: Nevermind just found it on youtube. I'm going with my initial thoughts^^

I've had the AMP driver for testing for 10 days. Also had the ZL Encore. Sound is - at least in my ears - better than the ZL. Feels and sounds solid. Not outrageous on distance but a steady driver. Good shaft/head combination.

I've had the AMP driver for testing for 10 days. Also had the ZL Encore. Sound is - at least in my ears - better than the ZL. Feels and sounds solid. Not outrageous on distance but a steady driver. Good shaft/head combination.

Accuracy? Consistent distance? Forgiveness?

Accuracy and consistent distance seems to be the strengths. Felt like I had good control of the clubhead, felt connected, if you know what I mean. Forgiveness is very good. It looks a lot better in person. The head looks great at address.

Spent time focusing on the AMP driver tonight and hit a good number of balls with it. This is a pretty solid club. Forgiving on smaller misses, a good sound, and decent distance on well struck shots. I wasn't swinging my best, but came away with some pretty decent results. My big miss was on the heel and it wasn't terribly forgiving there. Launch was pretty good and my spin on good swings was in the 3100-3300 range. I think the shaft feels a little boardy, but in all a pretty good driver. Haven't messed with the adjustabilty yet, but I will soon.

Back