COBRA AMP Driver & Fairway Woods

The face looks cool. Same with the shaft. I don't really like the silver head for some reason, but it's better on sunny days. The orange doesn't do much for me either way. It sounds pretty good though.

I don't like the bottom of the face. It looks all jacked up.

So you are saying I need the ladies version? HEHE

What would you do to the driver to make it look good?

I'd remove the "Cobra", the "AMP", the orange, the silver head. It's just cheap looking to me. 100% gimmick.

I'd remove the "Cobra", the "AMP", the orange, the silver head. It's just cheap looking to me. 100% gimmick.

Paint it white???

Amazing that after 12 pages in a thread, the same people are still debating the exact same thing. Maybe its time to just agree to disagree on this one.

You would have to buy paint fill in bulk!

Paint it white???

Nah, I'm not a sheep dude. Have you seen it in person yet? I bet if you take Connor to the golf shop, that'll be the first club he goes too.

Amazing that after 12 pages in a thread, the same people are still debating the exact same thing. Maybe its time to just agree to disagree on this one.

Does that really just mean you want me to stop?

Hawk have you messed around with opening and closing the face on it?

Nah, I'm not a sheep dude. Have you seen it in person yet? I bet if you take Connor to the golf shop, that'll be the first club he goes too.

Connor is a Rickie Fowler homer. HAHA Actually he was clapping for Phil today.

Does that really just mean you want me to stop?

No, its everybody. However you did discuss about 6 pages ago how you were in here "trolling" to use your words. It happens, some have strong opinions, but I think at this point debating the same thing each and every time this thread pops up, gets extremely tiresome.

No, its everybody. However you did discuss about 6 pages ago how you were in here "trolling" to use your words. It happens, some have strong opinions, but I think at this point debating the same thing each and every time this thread pops up, gets extremely tiresome.

Gotcha. I just saw the club in the flesh and was sharing my thoughts on it. THey just happened to be the same as they were when I saw pictures.

Like I said, not really my thing, but I'd say hit it if you can deal with the looks. I feel the same way about it as I do the RBZ driver. It's a line geared towards younger guys and I'm not particularly attracted to it either. Looks aside, I hit it well and it sounded good.

Hawk have you messed around with opening and closing the face on it?

I did. It's actually pretty good. The screw is a bit outside the head, which makes it easy to access. I hit it on the open setting today and it worked well for me.

Like I said, not really my thing, but I'd say hit it if you can deal with the looks. I feel the same way about it as I do the RBZ driver. It's a line geared towards younger guys and I'm not particularly attracted to it either. Looks aside, I hit it well and it sounded good.

I did. It's actually pretty good. The screw is a bit outside the head, which makes it easy to access. I hit it on the open setting today and it worked well for me.

Nice. While some places have knocked it for only 3 settings, for me sometimes less is more. I know with the SuperTri I was enamored with changing the settings and trying to find something that would work. When I had a bad day or 2, out came the wrench and changes were made.

Honestly, I only messed with the settings for the review. I never touch them on my R9. I was toying around with them the other night and didn't realize I'd left it on open until I got to the range today.

Honestly, I only messed with the settings for the review. I never touch them on my R9. I was toying around with them the other night and didn't realize I'd left it on open until I got to the range today.

yup, and with only 3 settings I'd probably do the same because 2 open wouldn't be good for me, and 2 closed isn't so pretty either haha

I was surprised. I have limited experience with an open driver. I was able to really go after it and the ball flight was straight as can be.

Awesome two way convo in here! Even trying to make the 3 settings of adjustability relevant.

Ok, and with that I am officially done. Sorry, couldn't help it. We'll keep the pretend positivity up! Proceed.

LOL. Dude, I just don't care either way. It came to me in the mail and I hit it. This one seems to hit the ball fine for me. The Baffler, not so much. Not much more to it than that.

Hit the AMP at Roger Dunn today. Sounded pretty good, felt pretty solid, distance is on par with just about everything else in the market. All in all a pretty good club. Nothing that would make oranges explode in mid air, but still a solid offering. Maybe it need be wielded by the Rickmeister to activate juicing capability.

Sorry for the vague opinion on this club but I kind of just hit it to pass time while my hybrid was getting reshafted. Wasn't there to take notes.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I defidently need to try this driver and fairwood combo. I like the looks but I have never been a Cobra fan but if it performs good then in the bag it goes!

Awesome two way convo in here! Even trying to make the 3 settings of adjustability relevant.

Ok, and with that I am officially done. Sorry, couldn't help it. We'll keep the pretend positivity up! Proceed.

I have asked and asked and asked kindly for you and others to stop. And yet every single time there is one more. As a member of the THP staff I guess I expect more.

THP is here to review ALL equipment. We will continue do so without prejudice and/or bias. Its awesome to have an opinion, and nobody would ever ask not to voice that, but when your goal is to self admittedly troll a thread, as a staff member, you should rethink that.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why companies are coming out with adjustable drivers that have only a few settings and 2/3 of them are pretty severe. Callaway did it as well. Is there a reason they don't go with Titleist and TM's method?

I don't really understand why companies are coming out with adjustable drivers that have only a few settings and 2/3 of them are pretty severe. Callaway did it as well. Is there a reason they don't go with Titleist and TM's method?

According to a famous club maker, "Its not necessary. Open, Closed and Neutral by 2 degrees a pop would be just fine for 99% of the golfers that are going to try these drivers. The rest is marketing in my opinion and this coming from someone that made one with 50 different settings. Ironically the average golfer will mess with that wrench 500 times and their swing, when in reality the weights on some of these make a much larger difference. Companies should be looking for simplicity in adjustability instead of more angles."

I asked him the exact same question last week.

Interesting. So I guess it can be said that the 3 positions are there for more of a confidence thing at address and the weights are the more important aspect as far as ball flight?

Back