Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

On the RalphMaltby.com website, they're always saying that it takes a MPF difference of 100 points + or - before you'll notice a significant difference in
how they play......Maybe Popeye or somebody more knowledgable than I am would want to comment, but I would bet that anything 720 or above (Super
Game Improvement) will be plenty forgiving.
Explains why the TS1 and TS1 IM models feel similar. 711 v. 728

Well, I got the 38 part right. That’s pushing close to Ultra Game Improvement One of the things that turned me off with the TS3 test club was the lower launch and lower spin compared to the TS1s
Btw, I took the TS4 7i out to the course today instead of my KE 4+ gamer. Used it for a punch out and a couple approach shots. I hit one green and missed short on another. It's a harder club to hit flush but the results were not terrible. I don't see that model making its way into my bag with so many other Maltby options that are more forgiving.

On the RalphMaltby.com website, they're always saying that it takes a MPF difference of 100 points + or - before you'll notice a significant difference in
how they play......Maybe Popeye or somebody more knowledgable than I am would want to comment, but I would bet that anything 720 or above (Super
Game Improvement) will be plenty forgiving.

Having owned a few of the iron sets on that list, I think the method is more legitimate than many others think it is when comparing one model to another.

Btw, I took the TS4 7i out to the course today instead of my KE 4+ gamer. Used it for a punch out and a couple approach shots. I hit one green and missed short on another. It's a harder club to hit flush but the results were not terrible. I don't see that model making its way into my bag with so many other Maltby options that are more forgiving.
I looked at the TS4s too as I like the looks. It’s still in the Super Game Improvement category, but the TS1 IM looks similar and has a nearly Identical MPF numbers.

I looked at the TS4s too as I like the looks. It’s still in the Super Game Improvement category, but the TS1 IM looks similar and has a nearly Identical MPF numbers.
I like the looks of both as well. My game just needs a little more help.

A lot of good looking clubs right now. They definitely need another left handed option or two.

@Popeye , you have good knowledge on shafts and clubfitting. I was considering the Mitsubishi MMT 70 R. I'm 56 and 7i SS ranges from 78-83 but averaging 80-81. I think I will benefit going to a R flex and want to do graphite. I'm currently gaming a KBS max 85 S steel. I feel I'm losing distance with a stiff flex and yesterday hit a 6i off a tee and got it slightly toe side and just got a clunk and hit it short right. Not getting the distances I used to. Will the MMT be more stable than the UST Recoil Dart 75 F3? I'm trying to fit myself and just wondering about these two shaft comparisons

@Popeye , you have good knowledge on shafts and clubfitting. I was considering the Mitsubishi MMT 70 R. I'm 56 and 7i SS ranges from 78-83 but averaging 80-81. I think I will benefit going to a R flex and want to do graphite. I'm currently gaming a KBS max 85 S steel. I feel I'm losing distance with a stiff flex and yesterday hit a 6i off a tee and got it slightly toe side and just got a clunk and hit it short right. Not getting the distances I used to. Will the MMT be more stable than the UST Recoil Dart 75 F3? I'm trying to fit myself and just wondering about these two shaft comparisons
You might not want to hear it.. but... you need to get fit by a professional. Self fitting we tend to have bias one way or the other. Plus, a good fitting studio has resources that you may not be close to having on hand.
Strictly on those two shafts, I would go with the MMT 70. Stability and lightweight shaft very rarely go hand in hand. So, you may need to view a different weight series while you can also explore different flexs.
I would do some research on a local fitting shop. Get fit properly and be prepared to pay for the service, even if you build your own set. Done properly, it will be so worth the investment.
Be ready or some push back, and this is why I said be prepared to pay. A fitter will make a profit on the build. Not just time in the hitting bay. So in order to get a good fitting you will need to work out those details ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I can't decide which club head to go with between the TS3 and the TE+ DBM. The playability factors are close to the same. I'm probably not going to buy a 7i of each to try out. I'm either going to hit one a little better than the other or I'm not. Either way, it's not going to impact my enjoyment or my scores that much. Probably going with GW through 7i

I like the black DBM finish of the TE+ but I'm still leaning towards the TS3.

I can't decide which club head to go with between the TS3 and the TE+ DBM. The playability factors are close to the same. I'm probably not going to buy a 7i of each to try out. I'm either going to hit one a little better than the other or I'm not. Either way, it's not going to impact my enjoyment or my scores that much. Probably going with GW through 7i

I like the black DBM finish of the TE+ but I'm still leaning towards the TS3.
What are you looking for in your irons? I found the TS3 had lower ball flight and lower spin than the TS1 and TS1 with the same shaft. The higher MPF TS3 was more forgiving. I wanted the higher launch and spin of the IMs. Good luck with your test.

What are you looking for in your irons? I found the TS3 had lower ball flight and lower spin than the TS1 and TS1 with the same shaft. The higher MPF TS3 was more forgiving. I wanted the higher launch and spin of the IMs. Good luck with your test.
I generally get high ball flight and decent spin numbers with my irons and have never been able to lower the trajectory. I don’t carry anything higher than a 6i before transitioning to hybrids. Will put these on mid-high trajectory graphite shafts.

Edit: My existing irons are fine. I just want something new.

Anyone who is interested in Maltby clubs, and specifically looking to try the SGI M890 heads, I will be posting soon a set of 6-GW with Miyazaki 6A A-Flex shafts for sale. Will build them up this week and get pics for sale into the Classifieds.

My fitter was talking about Wishon and Maltby when I first went to see him.

He's a seller of KZG. He put me into a GI iron , some form of matrix shafts and Golf pride grips. I don't have interest in details .

His take: these no name brands sold by quality fitters are as good as any big name brand. The difference is the shafts they put you into. KZG doesn't advertise. They don't have the money of the big folks, so just sell through fitters.

The clubs have been fine.

I just received a KE4 TC Max driver and took it to the range and was impressed with how it performed. The last driver I owned (Jazz Rocket Midsized Driver) I was hitting all over the place mostly slices, with the KE4 Max the slices were fewer and farther between. The drives looked like they were 20-40 yards longer. I was disappointed the shot scope wasn't working to get actual stats, but I plan on trying again either this week or next. Needless to say I am very happy with this purchase and have some more Maltby clubs on the way.

Last edited:
I have been playing with Maltby fairways and hybrids for a few years, and I had a set of their irons. For my money they are perfect. They have enough variety and customization for a high handicapper like me without the crazy prices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been playing with Maltby fairways and hybrids for a few years, and I had a set of their irons. For my money they are perfect. They have enough variety and customization for a high handicapper like me without the crazy prices.

No question, great company. Just wish they had some of that variety for lefties.

I just received a KE4 TC Max driver and took it to the range and was impressed with how it performed. The last driver I owned (Jazz Rocket Midsized Driver) I was hitting all over the place mostly slices, with the KE4 Max the slices were fewer and farther between. The drives looked like they were 20-40 yards longer. I was disappointed the shot scope wasn't working to get actual stats, but I plan on trying again either this week or next. Needless to say I am very happy with this purchase and have some more Maltby clubs on the way.
I’ve been playing one pretty much all year. I’ve done a lot of shaft tuning with it, I think I have 5 shafts, currently playing the Helium Nanocore 45g at 46.25”. I have TS1 IM irons and KE4 hybrids. I have a KE4 4 wood and a 21* HyWay also. I’m not as big of a fan of the fairways as compared to my old Tour Edge Exotic 4+W. Thinking of replacing the 4+W and the 21* woods with a 5 wood, but I’m shying away from the KE4s at the moment. The irons hybrids and driver are great!

I’ve been playing one pretty much all year. I’ve done a lot of shaft tuning with it, I think I have 5 shafts, currently playing the Helium Nanocore 45g at 46.25”. I have TS1 IM irons and KE4 hybrids. I have a KE4 4 wood and a 21* HyWay also. I’m not as big of a fan of the fairways as compared to my old Tour Edge Exotic 4+W. Thinking of replacing the 4+W and the 21* woods with a 5 wood, but I’m shying away from the KE4s at the moment. The irons hybrids and driver are great!

I am loving my 21° HyWay and KE4 hybrids. The 4w not so much right now.

I am loving my 21° HyWay and KE4 hybrids. The 4w not so much right now.
Yeah, kind of the reason the old Tour Edge made it back in the bag. It’s a few yards longer and I like the launch a bit better. Reading the info on GolfWorks website on the KE4 Fairways, they are all designed to have the same launch. I’d want a higher launch with a 5W. I’ve notice a tendency to lose the 21* HyWay to the right. Good club for digging he ball out of the rough though.

Did anyone else notice the sound difference between the KE4 Max and the previous KE4 model? Sound is not a huge deal to me but it’s sounds a lot more forgiving - if that makes sense. Probably the larger face and sweet spot.

To get an assembly with Nippon Modus 105 WEDGE-specific shafts I ordered Maltby model TSW forged wedges, 50*, 54* and 60* lofts, and have now played these wedges for for approximately 35 rounds of golf. Great clubs, as good or better design and quality than any wedges I've had from Titleist, Ping, or Mizuno.

Did anyone else notice the sound difference between the KE4 Max and the previous KE4 model? Sound is not a huge deal to me but it’s sounds a lot more forgiving - if that makes sense. Probably the larger face and sweet spot.
I have a KE4 TC and KE4TC Max heads.ii I too felt like the Max is a bit more forgiving. However it just lost to a Titlest TSR2 10* with a 50g R shaft. Still a fan of the irons and hybrids.

I have a KE4 TC and KE4TC Max heads.ii I too felt like the Max is a bit more forgiving. However it just lost to a Titlest TSR2 10* with a 50g R shaft. Still a fan of the irons and hybrids.
I read your post on the Over 60 thread. I noticed a few days ago you put the KE4 Max up against the Calloway Paradigm and it held it's own. But Titleist beat it out today? I'm glad you found something better.

I bought a Titleist driver about 6 years ago and they fit me with a shaft that was far too light. Re-shafted with a much heavier shaft a couple years later and that made quite a bit of difference.

I simply hit the KE4 (older generation) better than I have any of the name brands clubs. Regardless of what driver head or shaft I use the issue has always been club face control more than distance. As much as I want to look at a 2023 Paradigm head, I don't see the logic in it. For me, it's like throwing money at the wrong problem when lessons or work on my swing would likely accomplish more.

I have multiple sets of Maltbys. TS1M, TS1,TS2,TS3,TS4. SAME SHAFTS IN ALL. ALL THE TSW WEDGES. PLAYING THE KE4 FAIRWAY WOODS AS WELL. THE OLDER MODEL KE4 HYBRIDS. I'VE PUT THEM UP AGAINST ALL THE OEM COMPANYS AND THEY OUT PERFORM THEM HANDS DOWN. NOW LIVING 2.5 HOURS AWAY AND KNOWING SOME OF THE GUYS THAT WORK THERE IS A PLUS. GRADUATED THRU THERE CLUB BUILDERS COURSE AND ACTUALLY SEEING HOW THEY MEASURE THE MALTBT PLAYABILITY FACTOR IS PRETTY COOL. IT WILL BE HARS FOE ME TO SWITCH OUT OF THEM. BUY IM ALWAYS EXPEREMINTING WITH DIFFERENT SHAFTS TO MAKE THEM BETTER.

I have multiple sets of Maltbys. TS1M, TS1,TS2,TS3,TS4. SAME SHAFTS IN ALL. ALL THE TSW WEDGES. PLAYING THE KE4 FAIRWAY WOODS AS WELL. THE OLDER MODEL KE4 HYBRIDS. I'VE PUT THEM UP AGAINST ALL THE OEM COMPANYS AND THEY OUT PERFORM THEM HANDS DOWN. NOW LIVING 2.5 HOURS AWAY AND KNOWING SOME OF THE GUYS THAT WORK THERE IS A PLUS. GRADUATED THRU THERE CLUB BUILDERS COURSE AND ACTUALLY SEEING HOW THEY MEASURE THE MALTBT PLAYABILITY FACTOR IS PRETTY COOL. IT WILL BE HARS FOE ME TO SWITCH OUT OF THEM. BUY IM ALWAYS EXPEREMINTING WITH DIFFERENT SHAFTS TO MAKE THEM BETTER.
Way to shout it from the hill tops!

Back