Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

I got to looking at the specs on the TS3 irons and I am thinking of building a test 6 iron with that clubhead also. This is a cavity back forged iron with a little bit thicker top line than the TS1, which looks like a blade. There is a bit more offset too. .015” more in the 6 iron and .010 more in the wedges. The MPF is 849 compared to 728 in the TS1 IMs. If I do this I’ll stay with the 60g Fujikura Vista Pro R shaft as my initial impression with this shaft is pretty good.
Looking forward to what you think about the TS3. I've really enjoyed the TS4 7i but I can't help but think the TS3 set - or at least 7i and 6i - would make more sense for my game. At the same time, I don't believe equipment is the cause of my poor I play.

You can hit balls on the range and you can use a cheap launch monitor, SC300i for example, but there is no alternative to hitting the gamers on the course.

So, what differences did I find between the TS1 and TS1 IM 6 irons? First of all, the clubs have different shafts with the TS1 IM having the lighter Fujikura Vista Pro 60g shaft. It’s really 67g, but it’s lighter than the 80 Pro Launch that is actually 81g. Both are listed as high launch, but I think the Vista Pro launches a bit higher. The launch monitor confirms it as about a 1.5* higher launch and about 400-500 more spin. The LM showed the carry and total distance as less with the IM, but the empirical results in playing conditions indicate the total carry and distance to be similar. Using reference points my laser gave total distance as ~150 yards more or lass. I wasn’t in the flattest part of the course, so I was hitting uphill and downhill, and, while my rangefinder has slope, i think it usually underestimates uphill distances. I’m thinking both are about 145 carry and 150 total out of a fairway lie.

I like the lighter shaft since I feel like I can feel the club head a little better. I like the satin finish on the IM better than the polished finish on the older model. My TS1s are pretty beat up for all the rounds I’ve played. Not sure how these will hold up over time, but the body is made out of the same steel. Just the face is made out of different material on the IM.

I’m in no rush to make a decision here. I think I’ll get a TS3 made and see how it compares.

Looking forward to what you think about the TS3. I've really enjoyed the TS4 7i but I can't help but think the TS3 set - or at least 7i and 6i - would make more sense for my game. At the same time, I don't believe equipment is the cause of my poor I play.
I got the TS3 this evening and got a good look at it. I noticed the thicker top line as compared to the TS1 and TS1 IM; however, it’s not like the original Pings from 40 years ago. Finish on the head is similar to the TS1 while he IM has more of a satin finish. The sole width on the TS3 is about .035” wider than the TS1s, which are similar. I was a bit shocked at actually seeing the cavity back and how low the weight is in the club head. I’m thinking getting the ball in the air is not going to be a problem, especially with the 65g Fujikura shaft. I should be able to get all three clubs on the range tomorrow and get an idea. Who knows, I might end up going with TS3 6 and 7 iron and TS1 IM 8-GW.

The PTM Blacks have been an all-time favorite club of mine. Wildly underrated but had a cult like following for those who had them. I was sad to see them drop from the lineup.
There are so many subtle features that make the irons so easy to play yet perform at a high level. That beveled leading edge is such a great feature for someone with a diggers swing.
I just last week built up a set that I had acquired. When I had them oncourse it was like dating your high school sweetheart again.
They also had a feel and sound at impact that was truly pleasing. When in play, someone usually comments on how good they sound. Too oversized for some. But the Black finish hides their footprint. I sold many sets of these while they were in the catalog.
Still have to turn the candy corn ferrules, but I had a blast with them in playView attachment 9202112View attachment 9202113

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

@Popeye - Any idea why Maltby dropped the PTMs? I picked up 7i-PW (shafted with KBS Tour regular shafts) in 2019, which I have never actually used as I got fitted for Ping G710s shortly thereafter(in other words the clubs are basically new). I hit some chip shots in the yard today with the PW and really liked the feel so I'm considering having them re-shafted with senior flex graphite and giving them a whirl. If you don't mind, I'll probably reach out via DM with some further questions.

@Popeye - Any idea why Maltby dropped the PTMs? I picked up 7i-PW (shafted with KBS Tour regular shafts) in 2019, which I have never actually used as I got fitted for Ping G710s shortly thereafter(in other words the clubs are basically new). I hit some chip shots in the yard today with the PW and really liked the feel so I'm considering having them re-shafted with senior flex graphite and giving them a whirl. If you don't mind, I'll probably reach out via DM with some further questions.
I never got a straight answer out of Britt. Quite frankly, I sold a lot of those heads. They were a repeated choice when hit against the TS1 and the TS2 for many customers. Feel free to reach out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I’ve gotten to hit the TS3s with the TS1 and TS1 IM. Unfortunately, my left hip was hurting so I’m not sure I was making my best swings. Then, during the round, my left hip went crunch, kaboom, so I haven’t been able to make a good comparison yet. I have hit all three together on the range off mats and turf and, honestly, I can’t tell much difference. Hope to know more when the weather is better and I am closer to 100%.

I got the TS3 this evening and got a good look at it. I noticed the thicker top line as compared to the TS1 and TS1 IM; however, it’s not like the original Pings from 40 years ago. Finish on the head is similar to the TS1 while he IM has more of a satin finish. The sole width on the TS3 is about .035” wider than the TS1s, which are similar. I was a bit shocked at actually seeing the cavity back and how low the weight is in the club head. I’m thinking getting the ball in the air is not going to be a problem, especially with the 65g Fujikura shaft. I should be able to get all three clubs on the range tomorrow and get an idea. Who knows, I might end up going with TS3 6 and 7 iron and TS1 IM 8-GW.
I'm not sure what I'll end up with this winter... probably the TS3's. I've considered a mixed set with the TS3's for 8i-6i and TS4's for GW through 9i. But then, I already have the TS4 7i and hit it well.

I've made the mistake before of choosing aesthetics over function - though never on a full set. There is a definite difference between my SGI gamer and the TS4 when it comes to feel. I have not tried the TS1 but I can't imagine it's going to be much different than the TS4 as far as off-center strikes. At some point, the cost of ordering single irons for testing becomes cost prohibitive, not to mention I have a bunch of odd ball single irons laying around.

I've also been looking at used OMG irons but I feel like that option would just be stupid. Even the used sets are more expensive than a new set of Maltby's (not a whole lot more but still... used and unproven?). I went through the same thought process before settling on the Maltby KE4 Max driver.

I've also been looking at used OMG irons but I feel like that option would just be stupid. Even the used sets are more expensive than a new set of Maltby's (not a whole lot more but still... used and unproven?).
Good Point!! I've bought used sets before, and sometimes been happy with them....other times, NOT! OTOH, I've NEVER been anything but satisfied with a Maltby
purchase! As long as you have researched it and have realistic opinions about what you need, you'll be happier with the Maltby products (my opinion, of course!)

I'm not sure what I'll end up with this winter... probably the TS3's. I've considered a mixed set with the TS3's for 8i-6i and TS4's for GW through 9i. But then, I already have the TS4 7i and hit it well.

I've made the mistake before of choosing aesthetics over function - though never on a full set. There is a definite difference between my SGI gamer and the TS4 when it comes to feel. I have not tried the TS1 but I can't imagine it's going to be much different than the TS4 as far as off-center strikes. At some point, the cost of ordering single irons for testing becomes cost prohibitive, not to mention I have a bunch of odd ball single irons laying around.

I've also been looking at used OMG irons but I feel like that option would just be stupid. Even the used sets are more expensive than a new set of Maltby's (not a whole lot more but still... used and unproven?). I went through the same thought process before settling on the Maltby KE4 Max driver.
I hit my test 6 irons on the range today, but it was inconclusive. Still not sure about a mixed set. I need to see more on an LM with the gamer ball(s) and I need to be healthy. I gotta get my left hip straightened out. This thing is messed up.

I hit my test 6 irons on the range today, but it was inconclusive. Still not sure about a mixed set. I need to see more on an LM with the gamer ball(s) and I need to be healthy. I gotta get my left hip straightened out. This thing is messed up.
Yeah, take care of that injury, maybe give it a rest for a few days to see if it heals on it’s own.

Everytime I see this thread up I want to go find it to let the person know it exists.

I went to the range today to see if I could hit a few balls if my hip bursitis would let me. Fortunately, I was hitting the ball well enough to test the 6 irons (TS1, TS1 IM, TS3). On the range, they all feel pretty good. While the TS3s are supposed to be more forgiving, I can’t feel any significant difference between the TS1s and TS1 IMs, It would be interesting to have a mid or high handicap senior player hit all 3 irons and see what they think. At this point, I’m not sure which one, but I am leaning towards the IMs.

Oh yeah, I hit all 3 irons within 3 yards of each other with the gamer ball. I’d also like to try Pro V1s and Pro V1xs to see what I get with those.

The IMs look sweet! Looking forward to your decision and results.

The IMs look sweet! Looking forward to your decision and results.
What I am seeing with the IMs is higher launch and more spin. It’s not a big difference, but it’s significant. Not sure if it’s the .5 more loft or or the lighter shaft, but I am not seeing the same thing with the TS3s have the same shaft as the IMs.

I specked out the TS1 IM irons and put them in my cart. I need more info to pull the trigger, but I’m leaning towards the IMs. It’s kind of confirmation bias in my testing; however, I think I’m being fair in my assessment. I’ve had the clubs in the cart before and took them out.

Everytime I see this thread up I want to go find it to let the person know it exists.
This thread is what brought me to this forum in 2020.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. At some point you gotta put a stake in the ground and just go with it. Looks like it’s going to be the TS1 IMs with the Vista Pro 60g shaft. Honestly, there was not a clear winner here, we are nearly splitting hairs. This comes from on course evaluations and a launch monitor session at GolfTec. I tested all three 6 irons against each other and I also tested with TP5x, Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls.

Here’s why the IMs won. (For me that is.). When it came to launch angle, descent angle, carry and spin. The IMs were slightly better in all categories. It had a degree more on average in launch, carry was 2-4 yards farther, descent angle was a degree higher and spin was about 100 rpm more. Like I said, nearly splitting hairs, but enough difference for me to make a decision.

For those interested in the TS3s, of the 3 irons I tested together, it had he lowest launch and descent angles. Spin was maybe a smidgeon less than the TS1s and it had the most rollout after landing. That said, the TS3s are the most forgiving of these 3 clubs. It’s not a lot, but it is noticeable.

There is a difference between the TP5x, Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls. The TP5x had the highest spin, launch and descent and least carry. The Pro V and the V1xs were nearly equal with the Pro V1 having the softest feel. The TP5x sounded like a rock indoors on the mats comparatively. For those who care, I don’t feel like I give anything up off the tee wi5 the TP5xs, but I think they hold the greens better even if I give up a little distance with my irons.

I checked all three irons on a Mitchell machine. Here are the specs.
TS1: 27.5* loft, 62* lie, ProLaunch Blue 80g iron shaft
TS1 IM: 28.5* loft, 62* lie, Fujikura Vista Pro 60g iron shaft
TS3: 28* loft, 62* lie, Fujikura Vista Pro 60g iron shaft

One thing I may have to deal with is my wedges. The GW I have now is 49.5* loft, the TS1 IM GW is 48* so I might have to regap my wedges. Darn! 😎

The long awaited re-do of the Maltby Tour Edition irons ( now called TE+) are up on the website !!!! New, upgraded lofts that now are the same as the TS series, and in two finishes, Pearl Chrome and Black DBM. Classic beauties, IMO.......!!

1697659322666.png1697659352078.png1697659592555.png

Last edited:
I got the TMs yesterday and put them in the bag today. I may need a little more time with them to get used to them. I hit good shots and bad shots. Oh well. I think I’ll hold onto the old TS1s for a while just in case.

Took a lesson yesterday, got some practice on the range and played a few holes. Still learning what these irons like. I did hit some good shots, so there is hope. Still have some issues in the round with a ball sitting down, but I’ll figure it out.

Last edited:
The long awaited re-do of the Maltby Tour Edition irons ( now called TE+) are up on the website !!!! New, upgraded lofts that now are the same as the TS series, and in two finishes, Pearl Chrome and Black DBM. Classic beauties, IMO.......!!
I didn't know these were coming. They look to be very forgiving and at a good price.

I didn't know these were coming. They look to be very forgiving and at a good price.
I saw those. They are rated 738 on the MPF scale. The TS1 IMs I built are in the 720s on the MPF and the test TS3 I built had an MPF of 849 which is pushing Ultra game improvement category. Would have interesting to test one of these too, but at some point that gets pretty expensive.

I saw those. They are rated 738 on the MPF scale. The TS1 IMs I built are in the 720s on the MPF and the test TS3 I built had an MPF of 849 which is pushing Ultra game improvement category. Would have interesting to test one of these too, but at some point that gets pretty expensive.
I'm seeing 838 for the MPF rating.
TE+V4_MPF.png

I'm seeing 838 for the MPF rating.
Well, I got the 38 part right. That’s pushing close to Ultra Game Improvement One of the things that turned me off with the TS3 test club was the lower launch and lower spin compared to the TS1s

On the RalphMaltby.com website, they're always saying that it takes a MPF difference of 100 points + or - before you'll notice a significant difference in
how they play......Maybe Popeye or somebody more knowledgable than I am would want to comment, but I would bet that anything 720 or above (Super
Game Improvement) will be plenty forgiving.

Back