Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

I have multiple sets of Maltbys. TS1M, TS1,TS2,TS3,TS4. SAME SHAFTS IN ALL.
If you ever want to get rid of the TS3 heads...........;)

Does anyone know if there are official reviews of the Maltby woods (KE4, stw2) out there? I looked at all of the major golf magazines, mygolfspy, etc and it doesn't seem that these clubs ever make their review list, let alone their top equipment list.

The components come at an excellent price point for someone like me who can't afford a $500 driver, but there's really no way of knowing how good they are (or not) unless you buy them and try them out. Which wouldn't be too bad since their head prices are $60 - $80.

Also - does anyone know why? I have to imagine some people are buying them because I get their catalog every year, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in my groups playing their equipment.
As magazines go, the products that advertise (OEM's) are most likely to be reviewed. My travel set is mostly Maltby. I get owner/user inputs on forums like this one if I want to know about the club.

As magazines go, the products that advertise (OEM's) are most likely to be reviewed. My travel set is mostly Maltby. I get owner/user inputs on forums like this one if I want to know about the club.
And there is never a bad club review of the OEMs because you won’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Where to yo play in Dayton? I play at Walnut Grove and Miami Shores.

I have a lot of Maltby clubs in the bag. However the Driver just got knocked out by a Titlest TSR2. This summer I went back and forth with a KE4 fairway and a Tour Edge fairway. That got replaced by a Callaway Paradigm fairway.

You might be interested in the 60 and older thread. Pretty good group there.

Would have sent you a message, but you have it block

I have a lot of Maltby clubs in the bag. However the Driver just got knocked out by a Titlest TSR2. This summer I went back and forth with a KE4 fairway and a Tour Edge fairway. That got replaced by a Callaway Paradigm fairway.

You might be interested in the 60 and older thread. Pretty good group there. I tried to message you, but you have messages blocked.

The Maltby website (www.golfworks.com) usually has reviews and questions/answers about all of the products listed. Just go to the fairway wood you're interested in
and look around. Somewhere there will be the word "reviews." Like a previous poster mentioned though, they are mostly good reviews.....keep in mind too that since
Maltby clubs are sold as components the success (or lack of) of a clubhead may depend on how well the shaft, length, weight, etc. fit the player offering the review.....

You might be interested in the 60 and older thread. Pretty good group there.

Would have sent you a message, but you have it block

You might be interested in the 60 and older thread. Pretty good group there. I tried to message you, but you have messages blocked.
Generally, I play the base courses at the Air Force Base. I'm a 70 yo occasional player, and my handicap isn't as low as it used to be. I've played Walnut Grove, Community, Mound and that crummy Rollandia before it shut down. I liked Rollandia as a "warmup" course in the early Spring. I usually only play 9 holes unless I'm with a group, but I seldom have time to maintain a group structure on a regular basis since I'm still working. Occasionally, we visit family in Virginia, California and Texas, so I take the Maltby bag for that. That bag is Mizuno ST-X driver, KE4 5 wood, KE4 Hyway 21 & 23, M890 5 hybrid, M890 6-U and M Series wedges 54, 58. Putter is Nike M5-12.

Last edited:
I have multiple sets of Maltbys. TS1M, TS1,TS2,TS3,TS4. SAME SHAFTS IN ALL. ALL THE TSW WEDGES. PLAYING THE KE4 FAIRWAY WOODS AS WELL. THE OLDER MODEL KE4 HYBRIDS. I'VE PUT THEM UP AGAINST ALL THE OEM COMPANYS AND THEY OUT PERFORM THEM HANDS DOWN. NOW LIVING 2.5 HOURS AWAY AND KNOWING SOME OF THE GUYS THAT WORK THERE IS A PLUS. GRADUATED THRU THERE CLUB BUILDERS COURSE AND ACTUALLY SEEING HOW THEY MEASURE THE MALTBT PLAYABILITY FACTOR IS PRETTY COOL. IT WILL BE HARS FOE ME TO SWITCH OUT OF THEM. BUY IM ALWAYS EXPEREMINTING WITH DIFFERENT SHAFTS TO MAKE THEM BETTER.
How would you compare the TS4 with the TS3 and TS1 IM - as far as forgiveness?

I built a TS4 7i just to test it. Paired it with a Maltby MPF Pro Series graphite shaft. It's a lot more forgiving than it looks like it would be, but it still requires a fairly center of face strike - at least compared to my KE4 Tour + irons.

I'm debating on building the rest of the set, probably GW through 6i.

I have the TS3 with Project X lz and they rank better on the MPF Reading. Easier and more forgiving on off center shots. The Ts1m play more forginging than the TM4 with the polymer through out the set. I have the TS1m set with xcaliber rapid taper shafts and these are a rocket ship. Waiting for the weather to get better here to test them all with different shafts to find the ball flight and numbers inwant to see.

Maltby Vs Takomo by Let's Play Thru

I played TS1s most of last year with 85g ProLaunch R shafts. Late last fall I built TS1 IMs with 60g Vista Pro R shafts. I did a comparison with my TS1s, the TS1 IMs and the TS3s. The TS3 and TS1 IM test clubs have the same Vista Pro shaft. I hit all 3 clubs, I built 6 irons, pretty similar. What I found was the TS3 were slightly more forgiving but had the lowest spin. The big difference between the TS1 and the TS1 IM was I seemed to get a touch more ball speed and a touch more distance.

I’m a senior player, 70 going on 71, with an 85 mph driver speed. Lately, I’m getting 98 mph ball speed with the 7 iron, which translates into 130 or so carry and 140 total. The TS1 IMs are really good irons.

I have a full set of them. The feel is Mizuno like. Buttery soft with just enough feedback.
Look amazing in hand. Top line is a bit thick but that does not bother me.
Have hit the 7 outdoors and was very impressed. Had a 5 club shootout of sorts in the simulator and the TS3 came out on top. It was a very quick comparison, but the feel insires confidence.
In the 3 club photo the TS-1 is on the left. TS3 and then the KE4 Max.
View attachment 9157151View attachment 9157152View attachment 9157153

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
What would you compare the top line of the TS1IM To...and same for TS 3.

I mean in other irons that are retail..ex...jpx, Titleist, srixon...etc

I have a full set of them. The feel is Mizuno like. Buttery soft with just enough feedback.
Look amazing in hand. Top line is a bit thick but that does not bother me.
Have hit the 7 outdoors and was very impressed. Had a 5 club shootout of sorts in the simulator and the TS3 came out on top. It was a very quick comparison, but the feel insires confidence.
In the 3 club photo the TS-1 is on the left. TS3 and then the KE4 Max.
View attachment 9157151View attachment 9157152View attachment 9157153

The top line of The TS 1...what irons would you compare it to...same for ts3

Has anyone here tried the new KE4 TC Pro driver? I just noticed it the other day on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone here tried the new KE4 TC Pro driver? I just noticed it the other day on the website.
Seen it, not going to try it. Too low of loft for me.

Going out tomorrow to home course, my driver is 14* so I can get some air under the ball. Shorter course than last week, 5400 yards. Hope everything works again.

Coming in a little late. Can anyone comment on the performance and feel of the TS-1 IM vs. TS-1? I played TS-1's a couple years ago. Liked them. Don't know why in particular but last year went to T-100s irons. Like those as well. I got to thinking I might upgrade to the T-150's this year and saw that the TS-1 was upgraded. I decided to pull out my TS-1's again and went to the range with the 7 and PW and hit them side by side with my T-100s. Surprisingly, the TS-1's were way softer, particularly on off-center hits. Plus the TS-1 was longer. Now I am thinking TS-1 IM, unless it's not much of an upgrade in terms of performance and feel of the old TS-1, and if not then I will just put the TS-1's back in the bag. Thanks for any help you can give.

Coming in a little late. Can anyone comment on the performance and feel of the TS-1 IM vs. TS-1? I played TS-1's a couple years ago. Liked them. Don't know why in particular but last year went to T-100s irons. Like those as well. I got to thinking I might upgrade to the T-150's this year and saw that the TS-1 was upgraded. I decided to pull out my TS-1's again and went to the range with the 7 and PW and hit them side by side with my T-100s. Surprisingly, the TS-1's were way softer, particularly on off-center hits. Plus the TS-1 was longer. Now I am thinking TS-1 IM, unless it's not much of an upgrade in terms of performance and feel of the old TS-1, and if not then I will just put the TS-1's back in the bag. Thanks for any help you can give.
Scroll back up to post #761 from @skigolfmike

You might not want to hear it.. but... you need to get fit by a professional. Self fitting we tend to have bias one way or the other. Plus, a good fitting studio has resources that you may not be close to having on hand.
Strictly on those two shafts, I would go with the MMT 70. Stability and lightweight shaft very rarely go hand in hand. So, you may need to view a different weight series while you can also explore different flexs.
I would do some research on a local fitting shop. Get fit properly and be prepared to pay for the service, even if you build your own set. Done properly, it will be so worth the investment.
Be ready or some push back, and this is why I said be prepared to pay. A fitter will make a profit on the build. Not just time in the hitting bay. So in order to get a good fitting you will need to work out those details ahead of time.

Popeye,

Reading your reviews of the TS-1 several years ago got me into them with SF I95s shafts. Great for a while, not sure why, but went to T-100s with SF 110s shafts (been fit several times and the 110s are always in the mix). Good for a while but struggling last few months - starting to think the 110s is a bit too much as I get older. Last two weeks pulled out TS-1 with SF 95s and they are clearly easier for me to handle than the T100s (higher, straighter and a bit longer). My question is do you think the TS-1 IM offers enough improvement to upgrade from the TS-1? In particular, are they softer (I know the face is different)? I know another member says more forgiving. Can't see spending the $ for a minimal upgrade. Thanks

Popeye,

Reading your reviews of the TS-1 several years ago got me into them with SF I95s shafts. Great for a while, not sure why, but went to T-100s with SF 110s shafts (been fit several times and the 110s are always in the mix). Good for a while but struggling last few months - starting to think the 110s is a bit too much as I get older. Last two weeks pulled out TS-1 with SF 95s and they are clearly easier for me to handle than the T100s (higher, straighter and a bit longer). My question is do you think the TS-1 IM offers enough improvement to upgrade from the TS-1? In particular, are they softer (I know the face is different)? I know another member says more forgiving. Can't see spending the $ for a minimal upgrade. Thanks
I upgraded from TS1s to TS1 IMs and honestly the difference is minimal. I just pulled my 85g R shafts from my TS1s and replaced with 50g R2 flex shafts. I’m putting the TS1s back in play for now.

I upgraded from TS1s to TS1 IMs and honestly the difference is minimal. I just pulled my 85g R shafts from my TS1s and replaced with 50g R2 flex shafts. I’m putting the TS1s back in play for now.
Appreciate the feedback. I did notice going back to the TS1 that the PW and Gap seemed less "buttery" than the 6-9. I went back to look at them at Golfworks and it reminded me those 2 irons are not hollow heads like 9 on up.

One more question. Are you going back to the TS-1's because you like them better, or you are moving shafts around and are going back to the TS-1's because that is how the shaft configuration works out for now and both heads play similar? I was thinking the maraging face of the IM might add a bit of distance, and the hollow head now in the PW and Gap might give them a little softer feeling that the TS-1, PW and Gap. Thanks again.

One more question. Are you going back to the TS-1's because you like them better, or you are moving shafts around and are going back to the TS-1's because that is how the shaft configuration works out for now and both heads play similar? I was thinking the maraging face of the IM might add a bit of distance, and the hollow head now in the PW and Gap might give them a little softer feeling that the TS-1, PW and Gap. Thanks again.
More like I reshafted the 7 iron TS-1 as a test club, so I decided to just do the rest of the set. The TS1s have a softer face material than the IMs, so, honestly, I don’t really feel any difference with the PW and the GW. What I am seeing is my gaps look better from the 8 iron through the 6 iron due to more carry with these with the higher launch.

More like I reshafted the 7 iron TS-1 as a test club, so I decided to just do the rest of the set. The TS1s have a softer face material than the IMs, so, honestly, I don’t really feel any difference with the PW and the GW. What I am seeing is my gaps look better from the 8 iron through the 6 iron due to more carry with these with the higher launch.
Thanks for the response. When I went back to the TS-1 and hit them side by side with my Titleist T-100s, I immediately noticed how much higher I hit the TS-1s. The 6 iron is a moonshot, but not a high spinning shot but a high, lots of velocity shot that carries.

Back