Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

Here's a review video from 3 years ago from Fit2You Golf. He does a good many Maltby reviews.

Thanks. I follow Fit2you Golf and I’ve seen this review. But I never hear from any players who own it and currently game it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never hear anything about the STw2 driver. Does anyone here have one? Is it any good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have STw2 driver head and using the same shaft, I didn't hit it very well compared to the newer Maltby heads. It's beat up but I'm happy to give it away.

Here's my "Mini-Review" of my Maltby PTM's I bought a few weeks ago.... I've always been a Maltby fan, going back to my first set of M-05's I had several years ago. Had several sets of their clubs through the years and have always found them easy to hit and get up in the air. The biggest issue for me is what shaft to put in them, as I'm not a knowledgeable club fitter unlike Popeye and some other of the members here.

I shafted these up with 74 gram Apollo Shadow shafts in Senior Flex, but put a 60 gram Cobra Fly-Z shaft in the 7 iron, just to hit the two against each other. So far, I like them both...! I've had three rounds and two range sessions with them, and I don't seem to see much difference in performance of one shaft versus the other. As far as the
heads are concerned, I think the Maltby guys and their "Playability Factor" really have developed an easy to hit formula. These heads are solid and I hit them high, but not TOO high. There seems to be a perfect progression in yardage from one club to the next....about 10 yards for me.... They are maybe a half club shorter than other irons I've hit, but once I get used to it, that shouldn't be a problem. I may even shaft up the 5 iron, since I have hit the 6 surprisingly well. (haven't hit a 5 iron in years!!)

One feature I really like is the beveled leading edge, which for me helps prevent fat shots (MY miss). B/c they're forged (at least form forged), they feel really soft and solid at impact, and I like that. Finally, I really like the Pearl finish and the look of the clubs at address....that may not matter to some, but to me, it's a big deal. I'll be considering the shafts for the rest of the season, and if I make a change it will be during the winter..... I'll also be watching for the new version of the TE's / DBM's when they come out next season.

Here's my "Mini-Review" of my Maltby PTM's I bought a few weeks ago.... I've always been a Maltby fan, going back to my first set of M-05's I had several years ago. Had several sets of their clubs through the years and have always found them easy to hit and get up in the air. The biggest issue for me is what shaft to put in them, as I'm not a knowledgeable club fitter unlike Popeye and some other of the members here.

I shafted these up with 74 gram Apollo Shadow shafts in Senior Flex, but put a 60 gram Cobra Fly-Z shaft in the 7 iron, just to hit the two against each other. So far, I like them both...! I've had three rounds and two range sessions with them, and I don't seem to see much difference in performance of one shaft versus the other. As far as the
heads are concerned, I think the Maltby guys and their "Playability Factor" really have developed an easy to hit formula. These heads are solid and I hit them high, but not TOO high. There seems to be a perfect progression in yardage from one club to the next....about 10 yards for me.... They are maybe a half club shorter than other irons I've hit, but once I get used to it, that shouldn't be a problem. I may even shaft up the 5 iron, since I have hit the 6 surprisingly well. (haven't hit a 5 iron in years!!)

One feature I really like is the beveled leading edge, which for me helps prevent fat shots (MY miss). B/c they're forged (at least form forged), they feel really soft and solid at impact, and I like that. Finally, I really like the Pearl finish and the look of the clubs at address....that may not matter to some, but to me, it's a big deal. I'll be considering the shafts for the rest of the season, and if I make a change it will be during the winter..... I'll also be watching for the new version of the TE's / DBM's when they come out next season.
The PTM Blacks have been an all-time favorite club of mine. Wildly underrated but had a cult like following for those who had them. I was sad to see them drop from the lineup.
There are so many subtle features that make the irons so easy to play yet perform at a high level. That beveled leading edge is such a great feature for someone with a diggers swing.
I just last week built up a set that I had acquired. When I had them oncourse it was like dating your high school sweetheart again.
They also had a feel and sound at impact that was truly pleasing. When in play, someone usually comments on how good they sound. Too oversized for some. But the Black finish hides their footprint. I sold many sets of these while they were in the catalog.
Still have to turn the candy corn ferrules, but I had a blast with them in play20230821_133507.jpg20230821_133517.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The PTM Blacks have been an all-time favorite club of mine. Wildly underrated but had a cult like following for those who had them. I was sad to see them drop from the lineup.
There are so many subtle features that make the irons so easy to play yet perform at a high level. That beveled leading edge is such a great feature for someone with a diggers swing.
I just last week built up a set that I had acquired. When I had them oncourse it was like dating your high school sweetheart again.
They also had a feel and sound at impact that was truly pleasing. When in play, someone usually comments on how good they sound. Too oversized for some. But the Black finish hides their footprint. I sold many sets of these while they were in the catalog.
Still have to turn the candy corn ferrules, but I had a blast with them in playView attachment 9202112View attachment 9202113

Are those ExCaliber Rapid Taper shafts in those??? If so, what's your impression of them?

Are those ExCaliber Rapid Taper shafts in those??? If so, what's your impression of them?
I spent years helping develop these shafts. So I'm biased. But I'll put them up against anything on the market. Feel. Distance. Spin. To me it's a great all around shaft. I wouldn't play any other graphite shaft.

Well, my KE4 Max 7i arrived today and I plan to hit on Tuesday or Wednesday. What really surprised me is that it doesn't look at all "clunky" as it appears from the pictures that it might. At address, it is smaller looking than my G710 7i. Great looking club!

Been making some changes and doing a little club building lately.

I put a stiffer, heavier shaft on my old KE4 driver head the other night and took it out for a test drive yesterday. There's a noticeable difference between that older head and my newer KE4 Max that's on a lighter R flex shaft. The max is quieter, and most shots feel more solidly struck. In the 2 rounds I've played with the new driver, there's been a decent gain in distance. However, accuracy hasn't been very good. I'm going to give it a couple more rounds to see if I just need to get used to it. Meanwhile, accuracy with the older head and stiff shaft seemed pretty repeatable. Both heads share the same adapter so I might switch the shafts around.

Tonight, I ordered a KE4 4w assembled by Golfworks onto an MPF shaft. I also ordered a TS4 7i head. I plan to build the 7i with a steel shaft from an older set. This will be a test to see if this iron will become my new set. I know I should be playing a SGI, but we'll see how this goes.

I'm really excited to be carrying a fairway wood again. It's been several years.

I’ve had the KE4 4 wood for a few years, and it has been great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had the KE4 4W since last year. Took a while to start hitting a fairway wood consistently again but this year it has been a "money" club for me. 195-210 off the deck. Every once in a while I'll get 220-230 with roll and tailwind. I have the MPF Pro R flex. That shaft is so stable and runs a stiff R.

I’ve had the KE4 4 wood for a few years, and it has been great.

I've had the KE4 4W since last year. Took a while to start hitting a fairway wood consistently again but this year it has been a "money" club for me. 195-210 off the deck. Every once in a while I'll get 220-230 with roll and tailwind. I have the MPF Pro R flex. That shaft is so stable and runs a stiff R.
I received my Golfworks order today which consisted of the KE4 4W, a TS4 7i head, a shaft for my 5h, some shims and grips. I put together the 5h and then used an old graphite shaft to put the 7i on. I really like the looks of those irons. The head is long like a GI but is otherwise just a classic looking club head with nice lines. I'm not sure if it'll be a good match for my swing. If so, it'll make up my next set of irons.

The good news is I took that 4w outside and from the first shot on hit nothing but nice, high trajectory shots off the deck that went fairly straight. That after not hitting a fairway wood outside for several years. I'll be lucky if I touch 190-200 total yards because I just don't have the swing speed, but center of face contact seemed very easy and I really liked the ball flight. We'll see how it performs on the course hopefully this weekend.

The new tech is really helpful.

I received my Golfworks order today which consisted of the KE4 4W, a TS4 7i head, a shaft for my 5h, some shims and grips. I put together the 5h and then used an old graphite shaft to put the 7i on. I really like the looks of those irons. The head is long like a GI but is otherwise just a classic looking club head with nice lines. I'm not sure if it'll be a good match for my swing. If so, it'll make up my next set of irons.

The good news is I took that 4w outside and from the first shot on hit nothing but nice, high trajectory shots off the deck that went fairly straight. That after not hitting a fairway wood outside for several years. I'll be lucky if I touch 190-200 total yards because I just don't have the swing speed, but center of face contact seemed very easy and I really liked the ball flight. We'll see how it performs on the course hopefully this weekend.

The new tech is really helpful.

The 4W sounds and feels nice at contact. Depending upon how my knees feel I'll get 190-210 off the deck. Generally get about 200. I use it off the tee when I get into the push-fade/push-slice with my driver and can't get out of it. I get about 200 into a breeze and 210-225 depending upon wind and strike with a tail breeze. I was hitting my 21* HyWay really nice for a while but I've been topping and slicing it like nobody's business except off the tee when it's just money. It's all mental.🤪😜

The 4W sounds and feels nice at contact. Depending upon how my knees feel I'll get 190-210 off the deck. Generally get about 200. I use it off the tee when I get into the push-fade/push-slice with my driver and can't get out of it. I get about 200 into a breeze and 210-225 depending upon wind and strike with a tail breeze. I was hitting my 21* HyWay really nice for a while but I've been topping and slicing it like nobody's business except off the tee when it's just money. It's all mental.🤪😜
I'm really hoping it will double as a club that'll provide a longer 2nd shot on par 5s, as well as an off-the-tee substitute for narrow fairways. If I can't keep it straight or if I end up topping it a lot, I might as well stay with the driver.

This past winter, @lil'mike came over to my house to hit the simulator. He brought a couple fairway woods with him and let me take a few swings. They felt great and at that point I really wanted one in the bag. I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to hit a high shot with but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm going to take it out for a spin on the course tomorrow.

I built the 7i yesterday by using an existing hybrid shaft I'd ruined by over-heating it with the torch. I cut off the damaged tip and it came out about right length for a 7i. I assumed it would make the shaft too stiff, but I thought what the heck. Anyway, I hit it on the sim tonight against my existing 7i and it held it's own. On average, a few yards shorter than the KE4+ (both clubs had a wide range of well-hit and poorly hit balls). But when I took it outside and hit it off the turf it was surprisingly easy to make great contact. Regardless of the abomination of a shaft I used, it didn't seem to hurt my ability to hit good shots with it. I'm going to take that club out on the course tomorrow as well.

It's amazing to me they can build a club head that looks that nice and still be that easy to hit. If I do end up building a full set, I'll have to try out some different shafts.

I'm really hoping it will double as a club that'll provide a longer 2nd shot on par 5s, as well as an off-the-tee substitute for narrow fairways. If I can't keep it straight or if I end up topping it a lot, I might as well stay with the driver.

This past winter, @lil'mike came over to my house to hit the simulator. He brought a couple fairway woods with him and let me take a few swings. They felt great and at that point I really wanted one in the bag. I was a little worried I wouldn't be able to hit a high shot with but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm going to take it out for a spin on the course tomorrow.

I built the 7i yesterday by using an existing hybrid shaft I'd ruined by over-heating it with the torch. I cut off the damaged tip and it came out about right length for a 7i. I assumed it would make the shaft too stiff, but I thought what the heck. Anyway, I hit it on the sim tonight against my existing 7i and it held it's own. On average, a few yards shorter than the KE4+ (both clubs had a wide range of well-hit and poorly hit balls). But when I took it outside and hit it off the turf it was surprisingly easy to make great contact. Regardless of the abomination of a shaft I used, it didn't seem to hurt my ability to hit good shots with it. I'm going to take that club out on the course tomorrow as well.

It's amazing to me they can build a club head that looks that nice and still be that easy to hit. If I do end up building a full set, I'll have to try out some different shafts.

I still have a nice older Ping 4wd. I think that club and loft would fit pretty well in your bag! Like any clubs, they just take a little practice to hit them well.

Keep us posted on your results!

At this point I pretty much have a whole bag of Maltby clubs. I went through a lot of shafts with the driver and I finally settled on a shaft for now. I have a KE4 4 wood that finally kicked out the 15 YO Tour Edge Exotic 4 wood and I have a 21* KE4 HyWay that alternates in the bag with a KE4 3H depending on the course.

I’m playing TS1 irons, but starting to think about upgrading to the TS1 IMs. I might build a test club to check it. Thinking of going to a lighter shaft in the new irons Adila NV 370 65 R. I did get a lot of the shafts on these clubs pured. However, I’m thinking more and more it’s not worth $25 a pop to do that.

Last edited:

I played the Green Course at Bethpage yesterday and had a few shorter par 4's that I neve hit driver well on and consequently screw up my scores. Hole #4 is a 344 yard par 4 with an elevated tee box. The green is a straight line from the tee box but the fairway angles to the right with rough and bunkers straight. Woods to the right. I either push slice my driver into the woods or smash one into the bunkers 100 yards from the green. I took the KE4 TC 4W and hit a 223 yard tee shot and a 125 yard 9i to 20 feet of the pin. 2 putted for par. 1st time I've ever parred that hole in the 20 years I've played that course. After that I used the 4W on any par 4 less than 360 yards that had trouble the driver would usually get me into and it saved me about 3-4 strokes on the day.

D33CD778-B8AC-49BA-9086-782611ECDBA0.png

Well, the 4w was not the salvation I hoped it might be this weekend. When I hit it well, it offered some extra distance over the 3h and there’s obviously value in that. But hitting it well was difficult. It accounted for a few penalties the last two rounds even off a perfect lie. There's no reason to believe it should replace my driver regardless of how narrow a fairway is, but I’m going to keep working to develop better contact off the tee on shorter dog legs and for longer 2nd shots off the fairway.

The top of my bag is a tremendous liability right now. I’ve slowed down my tempo and SS in an attempt to gain some control. While my distances have decreased, the accuracy is still not there. Same story, different year. When it does click and I keep the ball in play with hybrids, wood and driver, the scores drop.

As for the TS4 7i, I love the looks of this club and can hit the center of face on the majority of strikes, but I’ve run some outside tests with my LM and I simply don’t hit it quite as well as the KE4. I’m going change shafts and do some more testing.

Well, the 4w was not the salvation I hoped it might be this weekend. When I hit it well, it offered some extra distance over the 3h and there’s obviously value in that. But hitting it well was difficult. It accounted for a few penalties the last two rounds even off a perfect lie. There's no reason to believe it should replace my driver regardless of how narrow a fairway is, but I’m going to keep working to develop better contact off the tee on shorter dog legs and for longer 2nd shots off the fairway.

The top of my bag is a tremendous liability right now. I’ve slowed down my tempo and SS in an attempt to gain some control. While my distances have decreased, the accuracy is still not there. Same story, different year. When it does click and I keep the ball in play with hybrids, wood and driver, the scores drop.

As for the TS4 7i, I love the looks of this club and can hit the center of face on the majority of strikes, but I’ve run some outside tests with my LM and I simply don’t hit it quite as well as the KE4. I’m going change shafts and do some more testing.

I feel your pain. I've been going through that all year. Driver has been sooooooo inconsistent. Last Sunday was my worst driving day of the year and yesterday was one of my best. Yesterday I felt more comfortable at setup with my alignment, stance width and tempo. I had only one bad push slice otherwise everything was either straight or had a 5 yard baby fade. I paid attention to my takeaway and swing plane during my practice swing as well as tempo. Will it repeat on Thursday? Your guess is as good as mine but I'll let you know on Friday. LOL.

Side note: My average 4W distance was about 15 yards off my driver to about 25 yards on the one or two driver shots that I hit center face and crushed. I had a few toe driver hits that went straight but carried less than my 4W.

Side note: My average 4W distance was about 15 yards off my driver to about 25 yards on the one or two driver shots that I hit center face and crushed. I had a few toe driver hits that went straight but carried less than my 4W.
That’s significant. I have a wider gap between driver and 4w. That changes the entire risk-reward scenario.

I know. The carry distance on my driver is 220-240 depending on strike. A good day it's 230-240. My 4w carry with no wind is 210-225 depending upon strike. I also have a Atmos Red 55gm S flex on Driver and MPF Pro R flex on the 4W. At 56 yrs old with bad knees I think I may be losing yardage with S flex shafts in my Driver and irons.

Results:
KE4vsTS4_7icomparison.jpg

I ran a comparison test between my gamer 7i (KE4+) and a newer, less forgiving TS4 7i. I built both but I'm a novice at best. Shafts are little different between the two clubs. The KE4 is on a MPF iron r-flex standard length. The TS4 was built on a chopped down MPF 5h r-flex shaft that had been standard length. The swing weight of the KE4 is D0.5 while the TS4 is D1.5.

This test was done with the R10 launch monitor outdoors from off a mat and all spin numbers were measured (not estimated). I took 15 shots with gamer and discarded one low number, while I took 16 shots with the TS4 and discarded one low number. It's important to note I do not hit my 7i this long or this well on the course nor do I believe to have a 78mph 7i swing. The discrepancy is probably a combination of the R10 not being a Trackman and hitting off a mat (makes a huge difference for me).

I don't know how to interpret all the numbers, but to me the similarities as well as the differences were interesting.

The smash factor difference makes sense and it matches what I felt. The KE4 is a SGI iron. The TS4 has a smaller MPF factor - still GI but less so. I've read where a higher smash factor is not necessarily better with irons. These numbers would support that as I prefer the results of the TS4.

I'm not sure why my swing path angle changed as it did. I tested the KE4 first and maybe made an adjustment with alignment or something when I switched to the TS4???

Anyway, any feedback from those more knowledgeable about launch numbers would be greatly appreciated. @Popeye - your opinion is always valued though I believe you do this as a living and don't want to take advantage. I'm strongly considering building a set and will likely use a less expensive graphite shaft for the build... either the Maltby MPF Pros ($22) or Graftech Lite ($13). This would not be as much of a replacement set and more of a 2nd set.

KE4+

KE4+.jpg
TS4
TS4.jpg

Anyone interested in a set of nearly new TE’s with NV85 S flex?

Anyone interested in a set of nearly new TE’s with NV85 S flex?
No. However, I might be replacing my TS1s 5-GW with TS1 IMs. Stay tuned.

No. However, I might be replacing my TS1s 5-GW with TS1 IMs. Stay tuned.
I got the test 6 iron yesterday, TS1 IM with Fujikura 67g shaft. Compared to the TS1 with the 80g ProLaunch shaft, this club is lighter; however, with the lighter shaft, I can feel the club head a little better. This 6 iron has .5* more loft (the wedge has 1* less). Supposedly, the face is hotter too.

Initial impression is the ball flight might be slightly higher. Not sure it that’s the club head or the shaft. Carry looks to be a bit longer too. I’ll have to get some numbers from a launch monitor to know for sure. I’m thinking club head speed might be a little faster with the lighter overall club.

More to follow.

I got to looking at the specs on the TS3 irons and I am thinking of building a test 6 iron with that clubhead also. This is a cavity back forged iron with a little bit thicker top line than the TS1, which looks like a blade. There is a bit more offset too. .015” more in the 6 iron and .010 more in the wedges. The MPF is 849 compared to 728 in the TS1 IMs. If I do this I’ll stay with the 60g Fujikura Vista Pro R shaft as my initial impression with this shaft is pretty good.

Back