Votes: 48 30.0%
  • I ride in style

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I do a combination of the above

Votes: 45 28.1%

• Total voters
Re: Who walk their bag?

Jman215 said:
Walked my first full 18 holes this evening. I truly enjoyed it!

But, I do still think I'm going to look into a Push Cart.

I love to walk. I don't have a push cart but know a ton of people who do. it really takes a load off the back and shoulders.

I am no more tired when I walk than when I ride. I guess getting in and out of the cart takes some energy as well. When you couple that activity with the extra walking because you cannot drive the carts up to the greens, I would suggest that riding probably takes nearly as much energy as walking.

I like the rythm of walking and carrying. If the course is cart path only, I think it saves time and probably takes fewer steps to walk. I don't like push or pull carts, I have one of each. I'd still rather carry.

And Dyna, you can make any assumption you like about my truthfulness.

I am no more tired when I walk than when I ride. I guess getting in and out of the cart takes some energy as well. When you couple that activity with the extra walking because you cannot drive the carts up to the greens, I would suggest that riding probably takes nearly as much energy as walking.

I like the rythm of walking and carrying. If the course is cart path only, I think it saves time and probably takes fewer steps to walk. I don't like push or pull carts, I have one of each. I'd still rather carry.

I agree. If you ride a cart and your playing partner hits it left and you hit it right you go look for his ball, or you have to grab some clubs, or what have you. l like the rhythm as well. And if it's cart path only...you grab a handful of clubs and if the grass is wet you have to lay them down, or carry a towel, which only gets wet. Anyway, I'm always forgetting something and I don't want to forget a club.

I will take a cart during scrambles and on rare occasions where a course requires carts. I may also take one on extremely hot and humid days.

Hey C-Tech, out of curiosity, are there a lot of people there that walk?

Hey C-Tech, out of curiosity, are there a lot of people there that walk?

Quite a few at the city courses. The desert courses are just not set up for walkers. Lots of elevation changes and long walks between greens and tees. The city courses are flatter, more park-like and built when walking was the preferred way to play.

I have always enjoyed showing up early at the city courses and just being put out with the first group of walkers available. I have noticed that most walkers tend to be more serious golfers. I am not saying that cart riders can't be serious about the game as well, just that a much higher percentage of walkers are serious players.

At my old home course, the first 8 to 10 tee times were always taken by the low (4-5) handicappers. They all walked and played serious money games. They let me play with them, but I had to keep up, play by the rules, and use good etiquette. They also played at a brisk pace. They would finish in around 3.5 hrs.

I almost always use a pushcart. I have ridden maybe 5 times in my life.

If the course is cart path only, I think it saves time and probably takes fewer steps to walk.

This is absolutely the stupidest policy I've seen. And they rarely tell you until you get to the course. This is generally slower than walking, and like C-Tech says, you end up walking almost as far as you would if you didn't have the cart. The only thing you gain is that you don't have to carry or push your bag. Sort of like having a caddie who's never nearby. :rolleyes:

My home course simply doesn't allow carts out when the course is too wet to take the traffic. You walk or you don't play, and they let you know when you call the course. Fortunately this IS Colorado with only about 13" average annual precipitation and the course drains well when it does rain hard. :D

This is absolutely the stupidest policy I've seen. And they rarely tell you until you get to the course. This is generally slower than walking, and like C-Tech says, you end up walking almost as far as you would if you didn't have the cart. The only thing you gain is that you don't have to carry or push your bag. Sort of like having a caddie who's never nearby. :rolleyes:

My home course simply doesn't allow carts out when the course is too wet to take the traffic. You walk or you don't play, and they let you know when you call the course. Fortunately this IS Colorado with only about 13" average annual precipitation and the course drains well when it does rain hard. :D

I agree 4-Putt - I hate cart path only. I have friends that belong to a private club that is always cart path only. It's a very old very tight New England course. I wonder if they allow older members to use handicap flags - I should ask.

I ride almost exclusively, I will walk on occasion but it has to be perfect weather and only for 9. I golf for relaxation and enjoyment if I want to workout I'll go to the gym.

I ride almost exclusively, I will walk on occasion but it has to be perfect weather and only for 9. I golf for relaxation and enjoyment if I want to workout I'll go to the gym.
And that's good! One way of getting around the course versus another is neither right or wrong...it's just personal preference, as it should be.

Always carry my bag, but get a bit tierd coming down the stretch. Might have to look at getting a push cart. Either that or get off my fat @rse and get fit :)

I would say I am a walker. but over the past two years I've ridden almost exclusively. I work at a club that is predominantly riders. when I play with the members, it would be rude to walk if they were riding. and my carts are free so if I want to jump out for an hour between lessons or whatnot....I can cover more ground in a cart.

alternately....I will come in on my days off and hook up with the walking guys every once in awhile or after the shop is closed I try to walk a few holes at dusk.

Never did, don't recall calling anyone out. Simply said it's my opinion of a lot of people. Don't be so sensitive:beat-up:

I have noticed that most walkers tend to be more serious golfers. I am not saying that cart riders can't be serious about the game as well, just that a much higher percentage of walkers are serious players.

And this is what I was alluding to, the preception that walkers are somehow more serious or possibly better golfers.

One course here doesn't allow carts when it's wet, I love it too because nobody will walk the damn thing & it's only a short 9 hole course. But it's the typical style where you have a bunch of 70+ year olds living all around it & they all have their own carts. They get pissed off too if they can't use them.

I would say I am a walker. but over the past two years I've ridden almost exclusively. I work at a club that is predominantly riders. when I play with the members, it would be rude to walk if they were riding. and my carts are free so if I want to jump out for an hour between lessons or whatnot....I can cover more ground in a cart.

Do you get to play that often? I know when I'm at the club my father belongs to - I see the head pro playing with members a lot more than the assistant pros.

And this is what I was alluding to, the preception that walkers are somehow more serious or possibly better golfers.

Dyna - I don't think walkers are more serious about the game or better, but I do think they tend to chat less than riders simply because they're not in constant contact with a playing partner.

Diane-

my head pro rarely plays....but when he does...it's fire. he's sooo good. bit that's another thread.

he's generous with us as far as playing. I'll be honest....I show more initiative in honing my game and my job in general than my co-workers so I get more play/practice time than the others.

I don't play as much as I used to (6 days a week) but some is better than nothing. I love this game.

Diane-

my head pro rarely plays....but when he does...it's fire. he's sooo good. bit that's another thread.

he's generous with us as far as playing. I'll be honest....I show more initiative in honing my game and my job in general than my co-workers so I get more play/practice time than the others.

I don't play as much as I used to (6 days a week) but some is better than nothing. I love this game.

A buddy tried to get me to go in with him and buy a course that went into bankruptcy due to a combination of mismanagement and some poor happenings. It was a great deal but I turned it down because I want to play golf and owning or working at a course is usually means you don't get to actually play the game. You are lucky in your circumstances.

I really, really prefer to walk and carry my bag if conditions allow. Have used a pushcart in the past, but find it easier to carry with the right Izzo setup. Might make an exception for really really hot and humid days on a hilly course.

Grew up walking, where I grew up playing powered golf carts were mostly for old folks. Part of it is exercise, but most of it is just enjoying being in the outdoors. Easier for me to walk off yardage, think about my shot and select my club when I get there, etc... when walking.

If I were to join a club where riding was required, think I'd have to purchase a GPS rangefinder the next day.

A buddy tried to get me to go in with him and buy a course that went into bankruptcy due to a combination of mismanagement and some poor happenings. It was a great deal but I turned it down because I want to play golf and owning or working at a course is usually means you don't get to actually play the game. You are lucky in your circumstances.

I have a funny story about that. One of my friends used to own two courses in FL - family investment. Every time he and his brother went to play, they kept wondering why the course wasn't busy - they knew the course was making a profit. Finally after they sold the courses - they went to play and it was mobbed. Turns out on the days the owners came to play - the pro would clear the course so they never had to wait or have anyone behind them.

Walker or Rider?

Walker or Rider?

Which one are you and why?
I try and walk most places I go simply because I can slow it down if I need to and it keeps my mind busy unlike riding on a cart where I often become distracted.

Walker, but its really only been a year and a half I started walking 95% of the time. Where I play I can walk just as fast as riding and faster than most of the riding groups. Love the looks on faces when a walker catches them and asks to play through.

Walking.
With the office life, walking a golf course is close to the only exercise I get nowadays.

Geography plays a very large role in this discussion. Try walking many of the courses in FL and see if you still think you can walk as fast as ride...hehe

I usually walk when Nerfny and I play. However when I play on the weekends with other people I tend to ride. I don't want to be that 1 guy in the group who walks haha.

Rider. I'm a lazy ass 23 year old. I'd rather ride and relax.

Back