Votes: 44 27.5%
  • I push/pull my cart

Votes: 48 30.0%
  • I ride in style

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I do a combination of the above

Votes: 45 28.1%

• Total voters
Like some of the other Floridans on here said, a lot of courses around us do not let you walk so we always ride. Plus my bag weighs a ton and there is no way I could carry it.

I walk with a cart 95% of the time, but I use a stand bag because it's lighter. I got a new Clicgear for Christmas, but haven't used it yet. I only ride if the course requires it, it's so hot that I think I'll pass out if I walk or during bee season in the Fall.

I used to always ride no matter what. In the last couple of months in conjunction with trying to become a slimmer Rhino I am walking the smaller courses I play. I also bought a clicgear which I enjoy very much and it makes it alot easier to walk.

I would rather walk more but I ride more because my co. offers a discount book for all of the course around here. A one time fee of $60 and all you pay is the cart fee for the respective course. Pays for itself in 1-2 uses.

I carry unless I am forced to ride or if it is too hot and I need the shade. I am not a morning person so I tend to play during the hot time of the day.:glasses-cool:

I walk the course 99% of the time. I also play nine holes courses 99% of the time. Those courses range from 2800 to 3200 yards, so it's a easy walk with my push cart.

I'll still carry my clubs when I play a quick nine on the nearby executive course (it's ~ 2000 yards).

I walk even if my buddies ride. I find that I can keep up with two guys in a cart, especially if they're high handicappers! :D

Depends on the course we're at. Some courses are walking only so if then, I'll push my cart. If the cart is included in the green fees, then I'll ride :)

Good thread!

I like to hoof it, ride if they make me. I believe you enjoy the course more if you walk. There are some beautiful courses out there, but you miss a lot of it because it's whizzing by you.

Good thread!

I like to hoof it, ride if they make me. I believe you enjoy the course more if you walk. There are some beautiful courses out there, but you miss a lot of it because it's whizzing by you.

That's the reason why I do it :good:

Walk if humanly possible. I like my push cart because it has a wire basket on the back that holds everything--like having a trunk. So I use that on public courses.

On private courses, I carry--or the caddy does (that wasn't an option!). Our club requires caddies if you tee off before 2:00 pm.

Ride only if there's no other option.

I almost checked "Combination", but didn't because I generally don't use anything with wheels unless it's extremely hot or if I'm playing a course that's simply not built for walking (which is rare as such courses generally don't exist here).

I find that walking with my stand bag is the easiest, most efficient and most enjoyable way to travel around a golf course.

-JP

Claire,

How old are the caddies at your club? Are they kids?

Adults. They're independent contractors--you pay them in cash and tip them in cash. Some kids in the summer, but most of these guys have done it for years.

Adults. They're independent contractors--you pay them in cash and tip them in cash. Some kids in the summer, but most of these guys have done it for years.

Yeah, that seems to be the trend. I've read that the elimination of caddies, specifically kids, is one of the big reasons that golf is in decline. It used to be that the kids would caddy for cash, then learn the game and play the course when they weren't working.

Yeah, that seems to be the trend. I've read that the elimination of caddies, specifically kids, is one of the big reasons that golf is in decline. It used to be that the kids would caddy for cash, then learn the game and play the course when they weren't working.

The club is closed on Mondays (well, there's often an event with carts, but we have two courses so one is free), so caddies can play then. Kids do caddy in the summer.

My playing partners are all riders, so I am as well. I plan to play more by myself this year and will be carrying my bag when I do. It's got comfortable straps and I could use the exercise. I used to do a lot of back-country hiking with a pack, so a golf bag shouldn't be a big deal.

One question I have is how hard is it to walk on cement with spikes? Some of the holes on my home course have deep ravines and the cart paths are the only safe way to travel. Seems to me that a combination of cement, hills and spikes could lead to some slipping.

Prefer to walk, but the body won't let me do it as much any more. I walk 9 holes occasionally still, and carry a lightened (only 7 or 8 clubs) bag when I walk. But most rounds are 18 holes, and that means I ride.

I voted that I do a mix, but it's probably 95% ride and 5% walk.

I like to walk with a push cart on the flatter courses but don't as much as I should. My usual course being on the side of a mountain it's always riding.

One question I have is how hard is it to walk on cement with spikes? Some of the holes on my home course have deep ravines and the cart paths are the only safe way to travel. Seems to me that a combination of cement, hills and spikes could lead to some slipping.

If you're using soft spikes (as I think most courses have required their members to use), walking on cement isn't an issue. I have Scorpion spikes on my Nikes and they're fine on cement and asphalt cart paths. I haven't used metal spikes in years because all the course I play on have banned them.

If you're using soft spikes (as I think most courses have required their members to use), walking on cement isn't an issue. I have Scorpion spikes on my Nikes and they're fine on cement and asphalt cart paths. I haven't used metal spikes in years because all the course I play on have banned them.

Thanks for the info bonknhead. I'm wearing soft spikes, so it sounds like it won't be a big deal at all.

Thanks for the info bonknhead. I'm wearing soft spikes, so it sounds like it won't be a big deal at all.

The only issue might be your spikes wearing down more quickly, but walking would be no problem.

I walk and carry my bag. I enjoy the exercise and having the time to think, reflect and relax between shots.
I actually cant stand riding in a cart.

50/50 mix for me of using my Clicgear vs riding in a cart. Not carrying a bag no matter what.

Back