Where is your game?

After playing last Saturday, turning in a 103, I feel I have nowhere to go but up. This could easily been a 115, so I feel encouraged by the result. Breaking down each hole, there were a lot of shots that were very good, and a lot not so good. Fixing a few basic flaws in my swing might just yield a 90 something this weekend. That was my first round of the year, on a fairly easy course. This weekend I just have keep within my abilities, and not press for anything out of my reach. Not chasing distance, but accuracy at this time. Hitting the fairway from the tee box is paramount to shooting a lower score, and keeping the blowup holes to a minimum. Par, and bogie is my target right now, with bogie taking the stress off of me to press myself on a difficult hole, or hard pin placement. Hybrid irons(4-9)were very good for me last week, after starting my 3rd full season with them in the bag. Ball launched easily, and came in high on most approach shots, with just a few off the mark, but hitting a majority of the greens. Wedges did just ok, as my distance control is stiil needing practice, or playing time to dial it in, but is encouraging, as I did get on every time I hit a wedge. Putting was ok too, with one 4 putt, and a lot of 2-3 putts. Taking it one stroke at a time. Trying to execute the best swing I can. Let's see how Saturday goes...

Last edited:
Quit after nine in complete defeat on Sunday, if that tells you anything.

When I'm struggling I still grind it out and try to take something positive from the hole/round. For example, if I'm green side on a par 4 and lying 5 or 6. I will do my best to get up and down.

Golf is a difficult game, even the professionals struggle from time to time. I don't get upset anymore. I simply accept what golf gives me on any given day. Sometimes it's good, other times not so much.

I'm feeling good about it! I started keeping a handicap in January, just so I could put something quantitative behind my game. I'm at a 23 right now, but 3 of my last 5 rounds had diffs of 21. Things are trending in the right direction.

Driving has been great... my 13* mini driver is a legit finger pointer off the tee. Wedges are pretty reliable. Better putting and better short iron play is what I need to start breaking 90.

Last edited:
Driver has been decent, fairway woods are 💩 right now, and I hit my irons off the toe about half the time. Just ordered a set of Callaway B21 irons, so hopefully they're more forgiving of toe strikes than my Mizuno irons. At this point I'm trying to just buy a game. 🤣

Right now it is inconsistent and my short game is as bad as it has ever been coming out if winter..

After this weekend I'm absolutely torn on where my game is at. I had some good shots and a lot of really poor shots. At a time I felt like I might actually be heading for some better scores, and others contemplating quitting all together. It's a hot mess.

After this weekend I'm absolutely torn on where my game is at. I had some good shots and a lot of really poor shots. At a time I felt like I might actually be heading for some better scores, and others contemplating quitting all together. It's a hot mess.
Eh! It's early yet for this season. I was kinda thinking the same, except my game took a big u-turn last time out, after finding a Maxfli Straightfli on the course. Teed it up up on 14-par. Hit it on 15-par. Bogie the rest of the way, and in the fairway every time I hit driver, teeing up that ball. Need to find out if it WAS the ball, or did I just happen to get warmed up, both mentally and physically, as it was a chilly day in tbe 40's. Felt really good after finishing out the round the way I did. 46 on the back, after scoring a 60 on the front. Buying into the Straightfli "legend", and reading numerous reviews, and the back of the box, I bought 2 boxes with the 2fer sale. Have yet to play with them, but the hope that my game is on the upswing(pun) feels promising. My buddy could not believe how my game turned on a dime! So, from someone that has struggled for a lot of years, keep swinging. Try a Swing Evaluation at Golftec. Could be just a small tick in your swing. I've done a couple of them in the last 10 years, and both times my game improved, if only on a small basis. Have to really work at keeping those improvements in my swing thoughts when I set up, but they really do help. Small victories can lead to winning the battle. This game is not easy for a lot of us. We just keep coming back for more, because we love this game...

Keep at it, you will recover your game and play better.

My first 2 rounds of the year were 75-70 on courses rated 71 and 74.7. I joked that my first sand experience of the year never goes well LOL....This year i got up and down in my only trap! That was a pleasant surprise

My second round of the year i hit 15 GIRs and missed probably 4 putts from inside 10 feet for birdie. My friend said it was the best ballstriking round he'd seen from me. If my putting was in midseason form it probably would have been a 67-68

So I stopped playing 4 years ago because I was sick of listening to my wife complain that I would play a few times a week before I worked at the club. Wouldn’t mind but I have 3 jobs in Golf.

This year I finally got a set of clubs and started going out. Weather hasn’t been great. A couple 9 hole rounds and finally 18 yesterday. First 9 hole round last week was a little bumpy but for this time of year but I played the last couple days and it’s like I never took any time off. Everything seems like mid year, no issues… quite happy

Sunday it was great - now a work trip and no golf til Monday...who knows 😑

My game needs a lot of work in every facet but i am totally pumped to be back out there putting in the work. I have a feeling i will be playing the best golf of my life this year.

Haven’t broken 80 in the last 7 rounds. Index has gone up from 6.3 to 7.2. Maybe time to have another set of eyes have look at what’s going on.

IMG_3253.pngIMG_3254.png

It has been bad. I need/want lessons bad, but I live in a golf lesson desert.

Where is my game? I'm not sure, I lost it about 5 - 10 years ago. My hope in joining this large of a golf community, was that someone would see it and tell me where I left it. I mean, I left signs all over Arccos, and Smart Caddie showing my game was lost. To no avail, I might add.

Considering I missed something like two months with my knee jacked up, and I’ve only played 18 holes once and 9 holes 5 times since, I’m pretty happy with how I’m hitting the ball. Short game and putting could be better but I’m comfortable they’ll come around as I get back into full action.

At 77 years old -- game is hit and miss, but that is due to playing 5 times a week and sometimes I am tired. Front nine today -- 3 birdies and 6 bogies. go figure.

drunk-golf.gif

Suddenly, my game is now back. Four weeks of trying a change my instructor wanted to implement (neutral, maybe even weak grip - and standing closer to the ball) and the result was nothing but heal strikes/shanks and never knowing where the ball was going to go. 1 week ago I texted another instructor I worked with 8 years ago to set up a lesson, and he basically had me go back to stronger grip and standing back further away from the ball, and now I'm back to striking the ball better than I ever have. Played 18 on Saturday, 18 on Sunday, and 9 yesterday. Something clicked on hole 9 of Sunday's round and that started a stretch of 18 holes where i played even par (10 pars, 4 bogeys, 4 birdies - yes, i'm cherry picking stats but it's a fun one). Back 9 Sunday I shot a +1 36 and last night shot a +1 37 with a bogey on 9. Hoping I turned a corner here. We'll find out Thursday and Saturday.

At 77 years old -- game is hit and miss, but that is due to playing 5 times a week and sometimes I am tired. Front nine today -- 3 birdies and 6 bogies. go figure.

View attachment 9264864
I don’t know how you can play almost every day. Last week, I played 5 rounds in 7 days and I had no game left by the fifth round, shooting a 90, my worst score that I can remember in years.

Had the first competitive round of the year at the weekend and shot 3 under my handicap, which saw my index drop, so I am going to be optimistic and say my game is in an okay place

On the days I can manage it the swing feels and looks pretty good. The game isn't sharp though. Just haven't been able to get out enough. Need to though. Lots of tournaments coming up.

I don’t know how you can play almost every day. Last week, I played 5 rounds in 7 days and I had no game left by the fifth round, shooting a 90, my worst score that I can remember in years.

Last month I did 13 days in a row -- 7 of those were tournaments... I had a few Gin and Tonics and Advil to get thru it but still played ok on day 13.

Back