Thinking about a Tesla

I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance. The good, the acceleration, 3.1 seconds 0-60, not 3.2. Does 1/2 a second matter, why yes, it does. It is the difference between fast and ludicrous fast (plus you get track mode, which is handy in the twisties). Options, I have all options available, to include white seats and FSD. It it worth the cost for the white seats, marginal. Do they stain, sort of, but they clean up just as easily using pleather cleaner (not real leather). Stick to 18/19 inch rims. The 20 inch rims are made of cheese and dent real easy (no joke, I replaced all 4 of my rims with aftermarket which is another story!). FSD (full self driving), I have this and would not buy it again. I never use it even though I have the latest software. You still have to have a hand on the wheel to use, which get bothersome if you do not place enough pressure on the wheel. The stock cruise control autosteers on the fwy and is just fine (the only place I need, or want it). The performance model has better brakes also, so that is a consideration if you like to go fast. The trunk, I fold down the rear seats and two full golf bags fit just fine. The good, charging at home is SO convenient and worth the price of admission. While on the 17th green, I send a signal to my car and turn on the A/C to cool things off before we get back to the car (don't have to start the motor like on an ice car). Wonder what is happening around your car, just turn on the cameras to look around from your smart phone. Oil changes, fa-git-about-it. Smog, nope. Reliability, mine has been great so far fingers crossed. The worst negative is the interior noise IMO. It is so quiet with no engine noise, you really hear the road. A little bothersome on chipseal roads. Insurance is high, plan on paying more as the Tesla's require more work when in an accident to calibrate things. The autowipers are much better now and I have no complaints anymore though Elon promises even more good things to come with them. Any other questions, just reach out as I am an actual owner, not some guy that read something somewhere on the internet. I have no problem traveling out of state in my Tesla, but I still prefer my wifes Acura RDX and mostly take it on 1,400 mile drives. Saves me about 2 hours of driving on a long travel day due to the longer travel distances on a fillup, vs charge.
Almost forgot, I was never happy with the stock suspension, so I upgraded to MPP Coilovers. Way better in the twisties, and on regular roads (smooth as silk).

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance. The good, the acceleration, 3.1 seconds 0-60, not 3.2. Does 1/2 a second matter, why yes, it does. It is the difference between fast and ludicrous fast (plus you get track mode, which is handy in the twisties). Options, I have all options available, to include white seats and FSD. It it worth the cost for the white seats, marginal. Do they stain, sort of, but they clean up just as easily using pleather cleaner (not real leather). Stick to 18/19 inch rims. The 20 inch rims are made of cheese and dent real easy (no joke, I replaced all 4 of my rims with aftermarket which is another story!). FSD (full self driving), I have this and would not buy it again. I never use it even though I have the latest software. You still have to have a hand on the wheel to use, which get bothersome if you do not place enough pressure on the wheel. The stock cruise control autosteers on the fwy and is just fine (the only place I need, or want it). The performance model has better brakes also, so that is a consideration if you like to go fast. The trunk, I fold down the rear seats and two full golf bags fit just fine. The good, charging at home is SO convenient and worth the price of admission. While on the 17th green, I send a signal to my car and turn on the A/C to cool things off before we get back to the car (don't have to start the motor like on an ice car). Wonder what is happening around your car, just turn on the cameras to look around from your smart phone. Oil changes, fa-git-about-it. Smog, nope. Reliability, mine has been great so far fingers crossed. The worst negative is the interior noise IMO. It is so quiet with no engine noise, you really hear the road. A little bothersome on chipseal roads. Insurance is high, plan on paying more as the Tesla's require more work when in an accident to calibrate things. The autowipers are much better now and I have no complaints anymore though Elon promises even more good things to come with them. Any other questions, just reach out as I am an actual owner, not some guy that read something somewhere on the internet. I have no problem traveling out of state in my Tesla, but I still prefer my wifes Acura RDX and mostly take it on 1,400 mile drives. Saves me about 2 hours of driving on a long travel day due to the longer travel distances on a fillup, vs charge.
Almost forgot, I was never happy with the stock suspension, so I upgraded to MPP Coilovers. Way better in the twisties, and on regular roads (smooth as silk).
I have a test drive setup for Monday so we will see

I have a test drive setup for Monday so we will see
Please share your thoughts. I would like to compare them to mine. Note, the model 3 is very comfortable, but by no means plush and fancy. Just preparing you.

Please share your thoughts. I would like to compare them to mine. Note, the model 3 is very comfortable, but by no means plush and fancy. Just preparing you.
I’m not looking for something luxurious. But the price drop got me interested

When we bought our 2018 Tesla Model 3 Mid range, we had no intention of buying a Tesla. We were at the mall Christmas shopping. Passed by Tesla and said lets go check them out. Took a test drive and realized how good the tax incentives were and bought one on the spot.

I agree with the sentiment about self driving. I use it only on the expressways and will takeover in a lot of different situations. Summon is fun to use when it works quickly. Most of the time you could have gotten into the car and moved it yourself before the app connects. Otherwise I love the car. Mine is far from the fastest model and I love how quick it is. The instant power is makes it fun to drive. I love how simple the interior is and it pains me to get into more expensive cars that have a million buttons everywhere. For as long as you have a place to charge at home or work, then you are fine. Superchargers are easy to find in the Northeast. Road trips to Boston or upstate were very easy but that being said we don't really make frequent long trips. Most of the miles are in the city. App controls are great but most cars have that now. It will take another very impressive EV to get me into something other than a Tesla going forward.

Timely post. I am also in Tucson and have been researching EVs. Have you looked at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 suv? Jim Click Hyundai has some SEL and Limited in stock. Nice size and unique look. Top rating from Car and Driver and Consumer Reports. But looking at Hyundai forums there are reported issues with the ICCU charge system. Hyundai has not come up with a solution and replacements are taking months. Regarding Teslas, I see so many on the road here and my buddy has a Model 3. I assume you are going to the Tesla location on Oracle? Let me know how it goes. I would like to try a Model Y but they do not have any. Carrying my golf gear is a key must have. Check the TEP website for good info on charging programs.

I have a Y. Similar in most ways but it does have more storage. Gas savings are real, but you may need to pay close attention to time of day rates from your utility provider. Overall, it's very convenient to charge from home and an incredibly convenient and pleasant car for doing a work commute. Traveling far is something else altogether. If you don't do it often, or have an ICE car to use ... there's nothing to worry about. If you need to travel far, often, charging while not at home can be very inconvenient. If you're worried about that, you should stay worried. It doesn't bother some people, but those people feel the overall benefit of an electric car is worth a sometimes crazy level of inconvenience. To each his own.

Now is a good time to get a Tesla because of the price reductions. There are other E cars out there though. But if you're set on the Tesla, do know that Tesla is often an unfriendly company to customers. They care almost nothing about quality control, and as we've seen in the news lately, they hide genuine safety issues. I own the full-self driving package and it's literally the dumbest purchase I've ever made. It's a flat-out scam. It really and truly is more dangerous than normal driving, and it's many, many years away from being promoted out of beta testing.

Those negatives aside, the pricing is great right now and a model 3 going to be a good car.
Is the Y good for carrying golf gear? Also, my wife has mobility issues. Is it easy to get in and out as a passenger?

Timely post. I am also in Tucson and have been researching EVs. Have you looked at the Hyundai Ioniq 5 suv? Jim Click Hyundai has some SEL and Limited in stock. Nice size and unique look. Top rating from Car and Driver and Consumer Reports. But looking at Hyundai forums there are reported issues with the ICCU charge system. Hyundai has not come up with a solution and replacements are taking months. Regarding Teslas, I see so many on the road here and my buddy has a Model 3. I assume you are going to the Tesla location on Oracle? Let me know how it goes. I would like to try a Model Y but they do not have any. Carrying my golf gear is a key must have. Check the TEP website for good info on charging programs.
Not really. We looked at the fed credit vehicles and nothing really stood out.

So I’ve gone done the rabbit hole. The 2023 has a LFP battery which they recommend fully charging. Most EVs you don’t want to fully charge. I like this feature but is it real???

If you’re set on an EV. I would recommend Audi’s EV. It’s cheaper and built 1000x better.

If you’re set on an EV. I would recommend Audi’s EV. It’s cheaper and built 1000x better.
What is the model called. Quick google search of their e tron family definitely not cheaper and no fed credit

Not set on EV just interested

What is the model called. Quick google search of their e tron family definitely not cheaper and no fed credit

Not set on EV just interested

Q4, Q5, Q8, E-Tron GT
They’ve gone up in price since I last looked at them.

Q4, Q5, Q8, E-Tron GT
They’ve gone up in price since I last looked at them.
Yea definitely not in my price range but I assume they are better quality.

Yea definitely not in my price range but I assume they are better quality.

Tesla has never impressed me with there fit and finishes. A lot of misaligned trim, trim falling off, no replacement parts.

Tesla has never impressed me with there fit and finishes. A lot of misaligned trim, trim falling off, no replacement parts.
I have definitely seen that on my Tesla rabbit hole.

Quality is the real downside of a Tesla. Tesla sales people, and drivers who idolize the brand, will try tell you that you’re buying a technology platform and not a regular automobile. Well, some of the tech is quite good but it very much is an automobile with low quality parts and finish for its price point. It’s a trade off. It’s a fine car. It’s just not something to worship, and for the love of all that’s holy… don’t get FSD.

Is the Y good for carrying golf gear? Also, my wife has mobility issues. Is it easy to get in and out as a passenger?

It has quite a bit of space inside and golf gear easily fits. Re: the ease of access ... There is plenty of space to maneuver when getting in and out, which may help. I don't think the seat height is as low as a normal sedan, however. That may be a good or bad thing. You don't really sit down into the car; it's more like sliding to the side and the seat is kinda there. If you've ever been inside a Subaru Outback ... it's about like that.

Id pass on it. Tesla has absolutely horrible quality and the cars are debatably unsafe to drive. Not to mention their is a learning curve to driving them. If you want an EV, cool, look at something else but Id pass on the Tesla.

Id pass on it. Tesla has absolutely horrible quality and the cars are debatably unsafe to drive. Not to mention their is a learning curve to driving them.
Uninformed drivel.

Build quality is fine nowadays, maybe not luxury car level but no worse than other manufacturers. And they are one of the safest rated cars on the roads with all the automated warnings and inputs. They are also very easy to drive. I jumped straight in and drove mine 30 miles home straight after I collected it. It took all of 5 mins to get used to the regen braking and to find the necessary stalk controls.

Anyone have a Hyundai Ioniq 5 or 6? Curious as to room for clubs and cart and any general input.

My Daughter has a Tesla. I don't know the model.

They thought about trading it in on a newer model. They went back to the same dealership. They have had theirs a little over 3 years.

The dealership told them they were upside down, and would need more cash down to buy what they wanted.

The biggest reason they were upside down was the cost of replacing the batteries, before their old one could be resold.

I don't know all particulars about their attempt to up grade, and I know nothing about EVs.

Just something to think about.

My Daughter has a Tesla. I don't know the model.

They thought about trading it in on a newer model. They went back to the same dealership. They have had theirs a little over 3 years.

The dealership told them they were upside down, and would need more cash down to buy what they wanted.

The biggest reason they were upside down was the cost of replacing the batteries, before their old one could be resold.

I don't know all particulars about their attempt to up grade, and I know nothing about EVs.

Just something to think about.
It must be old. Here is the warranty:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y All-Wheel Drive
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.

It must be old. Here is the warranty:

Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty
The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of:
Model S
Model X
8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
Model 3 Long Range
Model 3 Performance
Model Y All-Wheel Drive
Model Y Long Range
Model Y Performance
8 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, with minimum 70% retention of Battery capacity over the warranty period.
I will pass this along. Like I said I don't know particulars on their dealings.

Thanks for the info.

Back