The 60 and over Thread

I play with a 3 cap who chips one armed side saddle. He’s deadly.
I went to a David Leadbetter clinic sponsored by Cadillac many years ago. I forget the name of the pro he used to demo everything he was talking about, but around the green this pro used a cross-handed grip and chipped with a hybrid if he just needed to get the ball up for a small distance and run it out. Whatever works!

I find the hardest thing to do as I get older is maintain the spine angle and not lift up.

When I do lift up in the backswing I come in so steep it's almost comical when I pop up the driver 40 yards. Forget about irons it's like digging to China.

I'm flirting with adding 1/2" to irons for a more shallow attack as I naturally want to be more upright in my stance.
Thoughts?
I find most lifting is due to improper hip turn, which gets you closer to the ball, forcing you to lift up to return the club to the ball at all.. The lead leg has to straighten and push the front hip back away from the ball, not the common back hip turning in towards the ball, getting you too close to the ball. There has to be a video of hip turn somewhere on youtube. Probably hundreds of therm.

I went to a David Leadbetter clinic sponsored by Cadillac many years ago. I forget the name of the pro he used to demo everything he was talking about, but around the green this pro used a cross-handed grip and chipped with a hybrid if he just needed to get the ball up for a small distance and run it out. Whatever works!
Played yesterday. Course was very tight cut but muddy. Chipped often with 6i and was deadly.

I find most lifting is due to improper hip turn, which gets you closer to the ball, forcing you to lift up to return the club to the ball at all.. The lead leg has to straighten and push the front hip back away from the ball, not the common back hip turning in towards the ball, getting you too close to the ball. There has to be a video of hip turn somewhere on youtube. Probably hundreds of therm.
One of my more glaring swing flaws is not finishing my hip turn or letting it stall out near impact which I agree with you that it leads to lifting, flipping, and loss of power. The other swing flaw is letting my upper body outrace my rather wide body which leads to all types of awkwardness near impact.

Even my practice swings don't get the full hip turn. I'm glad you brought this up. (y)

1st round in over a month yesterday playing our own ball. 14 players showed up. Put my “new to me” 588 Altitudes, 3-P, stock, stiff graphite, in play along with a Smart Sole 4 G wedge. 7-P and the G wedge were awesome. The 4/5 I hit off tee a handful of times to see not so great results. Again,1st round in over a month. Thinking on adding a Smart Sole S wedge bent strong or the CBX4 in 54/48. I’m even addicted to my cart bag that I swore I’d never learn to like. ✌️
Play well youngsters🤣

Chipped often with 6i and was deadly.
7i is my preferred chipping club and I think the Halos, with the wide sole, will make chipping even easier. I’ve been trying to play my 56° more, though, because when I find myself left or right of a green, or short sided, I often need loft and a quick stop. I left a couple of wedge shots short during my last round that really cost me. It was my first round of the year and I haven’t done any wedge work so far, so I kinda gave myself a pass, but I need to get better with that club. My 60° is on permanent timeout for repeated misbehavior. I hear it whimpering every time I load my bag. Used to be my favorite club.

I dont know whats going on but I like it. My swing has been really, really, good for the past 3 weeks or so. I am hitting the ball pure, long and accurate as hell. Today we dodged raindrops, fairways were wet. Albeit a 12mph tailwind, but I hit two drives over 300 today, without a lot of roll out. I was clubbing myself like I was 30, not 64. 148 yard 9 iron riding the cross breeze to 6' on a par 3. Some other very good drives riding the crosswinds in the 270's and 280s, that if they missed the fairway were barely off.
I just wish I knew the reason for this so I could keep it up. But it did all start a while back when I reminded myself to keep that darn left arm straight.......
I was hitting it so well my one buddy got his portable launch monitor out of his truck at the turn. Clubhead speed was in the low to mid 100's, only one over 105, but most 103-104. That speed combined with hitting it dead center will certainly send it for a ride. One 5 wood off the deck was 96mph.........and straight up the gut. crazy.

Last edited:
My short game is brutal… I wish I could find something!

Today’s round was incredibly irritating.
I hit the ball as well as I can, but had the worst day I can remember having with my putter. By the time we were midway through the back 9, I was a basket case. I couldn’t make a 3 footer.
What should’ve been a very low 80’s at worst round ended up 42-47-89. To make matters worse, we played a 2 man team combined net game, and when they announced the results, I felt horrible.
We missed cashing by one stroke. I was the A player and I really let my partner down today.

Today’s round was incredibly irritating.
I hit the ball as well as I can, but had the worst day I can remember having with my putter. By the time we were midway through the back 9, I was a basket case. I couldn’t make a 3 footer.
What should’ve been a very low 80’s at worst round ended up 42-47-89. To make matters worse, we played a 2 man team combined net game, and when they announced the results, I felt horrible.
We missed cashing by one stroke. I was the A player and I really let my partner down today.
It happens.

Men’s opening day at the club today, stupid windy. I hit the ball well, but I could not get up and down and/or take advantage of good drives and approaches. It was just one of those days. Highlight was driving it over the tree on 18 and having 89 left on the 330 yard hole. I actually drove the ball well most of the day. I should have known on my first hole, the par 3 12th. Playing 125 to a front pin and I hit an easy 9 that flew the green. The lie was so bad in the rough it was nearly unplayable, so ing to hit a soft pitch to a green running severely away was nearly impossible. Then I dumped 3 in the pond on the next hole for an X. Then I parred 15-18. It seemed I’d par he hard holes and bogey the easy ones. Weird day.

As far as short game, I have a pretty decent one. I was working with my wife recently and I told her to hit chips and pitches like she would hit a putt of that distance. That shortened up her swing and kept the clubhead from passing her hands after impact. I showed another guy today how not to get flippy with pitch shots and it help a him a bunch.

One of my issues today, with all the wind and crazy fast firm greens, was what the wind did to putts. I missed a lot of 6 and 7 foot putts that were in the hole 6” from the cup and the wind affected the break in the last fre inches. I burned the edges all day.

Grill group at the club tomorrow. Monday I get to play “The Cash South” (NCR South) in the Spring Better Ball. Monday and Tuesday they are punching the greens at the club, so Tuesday is kind of up in the air. I could go to the muni, but it’s a 30 minute drive and they tee off at 7:30. Might be too damn early for me.

The good... I quickly accepted my fate and had an enjoyable round.

The bad... shot a 107.

The ugly... 13 penalty strokes from 7 penalties.

Of the 5 driver mishaps, the one off the 1st tee was due to one of the longest and straightest drives so far this year - 248 yards into the pond that guards the front of the small green. It's hard to feel bad about that. Statistically my driving is much, much worse than it was last year. It doesn't feel worse. There's just more confidence this year and I'm not nearly as wild on misses.

My overall game is worse so far this year than last. I'm hoping last year wasn't an anomaly. Not going to lie, there will be some disappointment if my index finishes higher. All I can do is continue to work on it and see what happens.

I have my third round of the year tomorrow. It will be a chance to see if some of the things that I've been thinking about have any chance of working. I'm not expecting much, but I do intend to enjoy the day.

Nothing on worth a crap, so watching LPGA. Their games and ball striking have more in common with my game, even if they hit it a bit farther than I. It’s certainly better than watching 30-40 years ago when that tour had a derogatory nickname. That said, whoever dressed the current leader should not have put those really tight shorts on her leaving nothing to the imagination.

Nothing on worth a crap, so watching LPGA. Their games and ball striking have more in common with my game, even if they hit it a bit farther than I. It’s certainly better than watching 30-40 years ago when that tour had a derogatory nickname. That said, whoever dressed the current leader should not have put those really tight shorts on her leaving nothing to the imagination.
* Running to put the LPGA on now to see the outfit… who’s with me?

Just tuned in, and I’m not gonna lie, Mike. I’m a little disappointed.
Are you Amish by any chance?

My short game is brutal… I wish I could find something!
After 1 round I’m impressed with the Smart Sole G wedge. I’m seriously considering the S wedge bent 2* to play as a 56*. Spun a 105 yard wedge back 10’ and off the green yesterday. I’m impressed after watch YT reviews on these wedges.

I just said her shorts were too tight, didn’t say she was hot. If you wear shorts that tight, I really don’t want to know about it.

After 1 round I’m impressed with the Smart Sole G wedge. I’m seriously considering the S wedge bent 2* to play as a 56*. Spun a 105 yard wedge back 10’ and off the green yesterday. I’m impressed after watch YT reviews on these wedges.
The SS lob wedge continues to perform. I had an approach land on a sprinkler head in the fringe, bounce way up in the air and hard right. Ended up in the bottom of a swale 35 yards from the pin and 25 feet below it. An aggressive swing with the SS lob the the ball straight up in the air and it settled 7' from the pin. My buddies were applauding and cussing at the same time. Lol

Be careful bending wedges, as it will mess up the bounce. Too much, and the bounce you think you have, might be more, or less, than when the club was originally built. Just a thought...

He's a Skier, he should be used to tight Outfits.

Really struggling this year despite moving up a set of tees. When you're struggling with short irons as well as mid irons and hybrids, the reduced distance doesn't really offer any advantage. If I could get that part of my game working, I would see a difference.

Back